The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity

Leviticus 25:44-45
Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.

Talks about the buying of human beings....I don't see anything about paying them for their service

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Sounds like slavery to me....I don't see her having much choice in the matter

this is one those issues where the insanity of the conservative is revealed

on the one hand;
they'll spend HOURS insisting that it was CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIANS (working with god) who ENDED the liberal/atheistic/secular EVIL PRACTICE of SLAVERY

yet
now
faced with the AWFUL TRUTH that god condones and endorses slavery
they start spinning.....
and expain to us that slavery isn't really so bad

another thing they reveal is their ignorance of the bible....

imagine that

they promote it
they believe in it
they want it studied in schools
and turned into law

yet
they don't even know what is in it!

The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity
Many Christian's who think of America as founded upon Christianity usually present the Declaration of Independence as "proof" of a Christian America. ...
The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity - Cached - Similar

Our Founding Fathers Were NOT Christians They were men of The Enlightenment, not men of Christianity. .... Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural .... He led the men who turned America from an English colony into a self-governing nation. ...
Thomas Jefferson - John Adams - Benjamin Franklin - Thomas Painefreethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfathers.html - Cached - Similar

regardless of what religion any of our forefathers practiced the reality is that our nation is a secular nation.

everyone is free to practice ANY religion they want to

or no religion at all (currently the favorite flavor of about 15% of the pop.)

very few of our laws are based on religion (in general) or christianity (specifically)

those that do exist (biblical laws) are MOSTLY unconstitutional (blue laws)

most of the 10 commandments are UNconstitutional

Damn those evil Christians! They should NEVER be given any consideration...only the perfect people should be allowed to form opinions.

All men were not created equal in the Bible....slavery was openly accepted. As a matter of fact, when God passed down the Ten Comandments, he intentionally left slavery off the list

We do not need Christian (Jewish actually) values to know that killing, stealing and raping children is wrong. All societies have these values

If we are founded on Christian values, why are laws against having other gods, idol worshipping, keeping holy the sabbath, using the lords name in vain and coveting all considered to be unconstitutional?

Slavery was actively discouraged in the Bible.

"Slavery was actively discouraged in the Bible. "

I find it rather frightening that a person could base his political convictions SO STRONGLY on something he knows so little about!

site follows;

Biblical Verses Condoning and Regulating Slavery

The fact that slavery exists in the Bible is no secret. There are laws regulating its practice; how to buy and sell slaves, what to do if they commit a crime, the degree to which they can be beat, and laws concerning sexual activity with female slaves. Some of these verses are included here. The point here is not to comment on the existence of slavery or the Bible's laws regarding it. My intention is more to increase awareness of its presence in Biblical text. A slave in the Bible (or in Greek, Roman, Islamic, or Egyptian history for that matter) is not the same as a slave in the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade. This new form of plantation slavery was unique in history in that it was based solely on race.

Regarding the emancipation of slaves, Jewish slaves were to be freed after six years, except those who were born by the female slave. Female slaves, sold into slavery by their fathers, would be slaves forever. And the cost of freeing a slave was calculated using the number of years to the next Jubilee Year, ranging between 1 and 50 years.

Exodus 21:1-4 "If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing. If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself."
Deuteronomy 15:12-18 "And if thy brother, an Hebrew man, or an Hebrew woman, be sold unto thee, and serve thee six years; then in the seventh year thou shalt let him go free from thee.And when thou sendest him out free from thee, thou shalt not let him go away empty: Thou shalt furnish him liberally out of thy flock, and out of thy floor, and out of thy winepress: of that wherewith the Lord thy God hath blessed thee thou shalt give unto him."
Exodus 21:7 "And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do."

Leviticus 25:44-46 "Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour."
Also, in Leviticus, a distinction is made between the hired servant and the slave.

Leviticus 25:48-53 "After that he is sold he may be redeemed again; one of his brethren may redeem him: Either his uncle, or his uncle's son, may redeem him, or any that is nigh of kin unto him of his family may redeem him; or if he be able, he may redeem himself. And he shall reckon with him that bought him from the year that he was sold to him unto the year of jubilee: and the price of his sale shall be according unto the number of years, according to the time of an hired servant shall it be with him."

=====================

"Why are Liberals so bound and determined to prove America was not founded on Religious Ideal at all."

because so many conservative christians are bound and determined to prove that America WAS founded on christian religious principles so that they can have America declared a CHRISTIAN NATION and then enact the bible and the 10 commandments as LAWS OF THE LAND.

these people need to be stopped.

" We have complete religious freedom in this country."

right.
and that includes freedom FROM religion,

" What is the big deal if some of our core beliefs, Like the idea that all men are created equal(under god or not) and that you should not kill, or steal or Rape your own kids, Where inspired by Judeo/Christian Core values or not."
They are still good Ideas are they not?"

yes
they are good ideas

but they were not ORIGINALLY inspired by the christan bible

these concepts were initially developed by hammurabi (and written in his code long before the bible was written)
and the greeks

christians stole them from hammurabi and the greeks

breaking one of their own 10 commandments

most of which are unconstitutional, anyway

America was NEVER a christian nation

America is NOT a christian nation

and I pray to the gods that I don't believe in that it NEVER becomes one

If the definition of a Christian nation is one upon which the political structure takes into account Christian principles, and the majority of the citizens are Christian, I'd say you're full of shit and America IS a Christian nation, and you're a fucking idiot.

Leviticus 25:44-45
Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.

Talks about the buying of human beings....I don't see anything about paying them for their service

Junior this is becoming very annoying

The Bible's insistence that Israelite slaves should be treated more gently was expanded by the Talmud to insist that Jewish slaves should be granted similar food, drink, lodging, and bedding, to that which their master would grant to himself. Furthermore, the Talmud instructed that servants were not to be unreasonably penalised for being absent from work due to sickness. The biblical 7th-year manumission was still to occur after the slave had been enslaved for six years; extra enslavement couldn't be tacked on to make up for the absence, unless the slave had been absent for more than a total of four years, and if the illness didn't prevent light work (such as needlework), then the slave could be ill for all six years without having to repay the time.

I find it rather frightening that a person could base his political convictions SO STRONGLY on something he knows so little about!

Like you are about to do?

BTW, what gives you the idea that I base my political views on the Bible, do you even know what my political views are? How old I am? What I have lived through? What I even believe about anything? My Name?

Or are you just making an ass out of yourself?

I am not even going to address the rest of your post because it proves nothing. I can justify anything I want to using the right verses and ignoring other verses. the fact that people can use the Bible to justify slavery is not something I dispute, I just dispute that they were actually following the message of the Bible.

on the one hand;
they'll spend HOURS insisting that it was CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIANS (working with god) who ENDED the liberal/atheistic/secular EVIL PRACTICE of SLAVERY

yet
now
they start spinning.....

imagine that

they promote it
they believe in it
and turned into law

yet

Excuse me, but there were a lot of Christians who worked tirelessly to free the slaves. There were also a lot who fought to keep them as slaves. Believe it or not, Christians are human, and can disagree with each other about what something means.

I know that explodes your belief system that the right wing cannot think for themselves and only parrot each other, but it is the truth.

Damn those evil Christians! They should NEVER be given any consideration...only the perfect people should be allowed to form opinions.

That's a silly opinion to hold. And you seem to be alone with it.

Actually, the logical people recognized the sarcasm and felt no need to respond. It didn't require a response...except from .... well... you get my point.

on the one hand;

yet
now
they start spinning.....

imagine that

they promote it
they believe in it
and turned into law

yet

Excuse me, but there were a lot of Christians who worked tirelessly to free the slaves. There were also a lot who fought to keep them as slaves. Believe it or not, Christians are human, and can disagree with each other about what something means.

I know that explodes your belief system that the right wing cannot think for themselves and only parrot each other, but it is the truth.

quotes-featured.jpg

They can't handle the truth

on the one hand;

yet
now
they start spinning.....

imagine that

they promote it
they believe in it
and turned into law

yet

Baptists played a huge part in freeing slaves, just as they played a huge part in establishing our independence.

I think rik has established himself as a deliberately obtuse ignoramus.

All men were not created equal in the Bible....slavery was openly accepted. As a matter of fact, when God passed down the Ten Comandments, he intentionally left slavery off the list

We do not need Christian (Jewish actually) values to know that killing, stealing and raping children is wrong. All societies have these values

If we are founded on Christian values, why are laws against having other gods, idol worshipping, keeping holy the sabbath, using the lords name in vain and coveting all considered to be unconstitutional?

Slavery was actively discouraged in the Bible.

site follows;

Biblical Verses Condoning and Regulating Slavery

The fact that slavery exists in the Bible is no secret. There are laws regulating its practice; how to buy and sell slaves, what to do if they commit a crime, the degree to which they can be beat, and laws concerning sexual activity with female slaves. Some of these verses are included here. The point here is not to comment on the existence of slavery or the Bible's laws regarding it. My intention is more to increase awareness of its presence in Biblical text. A slave in the Bible (or in Greek, Roman, Islamic, or Egyptian history for that matter) is not the same as a slave in the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade. This new form of plantation slavery was unique in history in that it was based solely on race.

Regarding the emancipation of slaves, Jewish slaves were to be freed after six years, except those who were born by the female slave. Female slaves, sold into slavery by their fathers, would be slaves forever. And the cost of freeing a slave was calculated using the number of years to the next Jubilee Year, ranging between 1 and 50 years.

Exodus 21:1-4 "If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing. If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself."
Deuteronomy 15:12-18 "And if thy brother, an Hebrew man, or an Hebrew woman, be sold unto thee, and serve thee six years; then in the seventh year thou shalt let him go free from thee.And when thou sendest him out free from thee, thou shalt not let him go away empty: Thou shalt furnish him liberally out of thy flock, and out of thy floor, and out of thy winepress: of that wherewith the Lord thy God hath blessed thee thou shalt give unto him."
Exodus 21:7 "And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do."

Leviticus 25:44-46 "Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour."
Also, in Leviticus, a distinction is made between the hired servant and the slave.

Leviticus 25:48-53 "After that he is sold he may be redeemed again; one of his brethren may redeem him: Either his uncle, or his uncle's son, may redeem him, or any that is nigh of kin unto him of his family may redeem him; or if he be able, he may redeem himself. And he shall reckon with him that bought him from the year that he was sold to him unto the year of jubilee: and the price of his sale shall be according unto the number of years, according to the time of an hired servant shall it be with him."

=====================

"Why are Liberals so bound and determined to prove America was not founded on Religious Ideal at all."

because so many conservative christians are bound and determined to prove that America WAS founded on christian religious principles so that they can have America declared a CHRISTIAN NATION and then enact the bible and the 10 commandments as LAWS OF THE LAND.

these people need to be stopped.

" We have complete religious freedom in this country."

right.
and that includes freedom FROM religion,

" What is the big deal if some of our core beliefs, Like the idea that all men are created equal(under god or not) and that you should not kill, or steal or Rape your own kids, Where inspired by Judeo/Christian Core values or not."
They are still good Ideas are they not?"

yes
they are good ideas

but they were not ORIGINALLY inspired by the christan bible

these concepts were initially developed by hammurabi (and written in his code long before the bible was written)
and the greeks

christians stole them from hammurabi and the greeks

breaking one of their own 10 commandments

most of which are unconstitutional, anyway

America was NEVER a christian nation

America is NOT a christian nation

and I pray to the gods that I don't believe in that it NEVER becomes one
They've got a great start in Texas, by rewriting history. Gosh, we can be just like Iran.

on the one hand;

yet
now
they start spinning.....

imagine that

they promote it
they believe in it
and turned into law

yet

"Excuse me, but there were a lot of Christians who worked tirelessly to free the slaves. "

That's right.

and FREEDOM LOVING CONSERVATIVE TRADITIONAL VALUES GOD LOVING STATES RIGHST BELIEVING CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIANS fought them tirelessly, to the point of killing many of them, in order to DEFEND their GOD GIVEN RIGHT to enlslave black folk

"I know that explodes your belief system that the right wing cannot think for themselves and only parrot each other, but it is the truth"

?
of course
I know for a fact that all RIGHTWINGERS are hate filled deranged lunatics and mean spirited scumbags...

but what does the fact that they are all mindless minions of their nazi facist leaders have to do with slavery?

Oh yeah, Mussolini was right. Corporations are really fascists and the world benefits when the gov't takes over.

Forum List

Back