The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity

Persecuted might be a little strong. And yes they were imprisoned for breaking the law at the time. Obviously the whole slavery system was wrong, and so to were laws that made it illegal to aid escaped slaves......

When one is jailed for their religous beliefs HOW IS CALLING IT PERSECUTED "A LITTLE STRONG"?
No offense Brain, but damn, please think next time.

It was more than a hundred years before the Revolution. Our founding fathers weren't even alive.

What complete lunacy.

Fugitive Slave Act

That would be 1850 DUMBASS.
"any person aiding runaway slaves by providing food, shelter or support will be imprisoned for 6 months and fined $1000."
DUMBASS ALLIE.
Go away. There is intelligent life here.

No, it's not. But thanks for coming late...there can never be too many stupid comments in a thread that refuses to die.

The USA was NOT founded on Christianity and that is a fact.

:rofl:

Sorry, I just to laugh at someone who comes screaming into a thread to declare that something that no one was even arguing was true is false.

Perhaps the whole issue with this argument isn't whether the USA is/isn't... eh, was/wasn't founded on Christianity... defined or redefined but rather wtf are we gonna do with it now? :-/ Seriously... WHO is bartering WHAT?! And what man can be about the WHO? We can be so easily distracted and that isn't always a good thing....

Persecuted might be a little strong. And yes they were imprisoned for breaking the law at the time. Obviously the whole slavery system was wrong, and so to were laws that made it illegal to aid escaped slaves......

When one is jailed for their religous beliefs HOW IS CALLING IT PERSECUTED "A LITTLE STRONG"?

It was more than a hundred years before the Revolution. Our founding fathers weren't even alive.

What complete lunacy.

So. We won't be hearing any more about those who came over to this country to practice their own religion? Is that it? Because those first people were over a 100 years before the Revolution too, Allie.

What complete lunacy.

So. We won't be hearing any more about those who came over to this country to practice their own religion? Is that it? Because those first people were over a 100 years before the Revolution too, Allie.

Hi, I'm still praying that you meet the Lord soon.

"By the close of the seventeenth century, persecution of Quakers, both legal and social, had essentially ceased. Tolerance legislation ended the legal persecution, and the Quakers’ own entrepreneurial success won them social respect as well. "

Quakers in America: From Persecution through Toleration to Domination

Can we please stop with the stupid Quaker straw man now?

The Quakers, I'm sure, appreciate you belittling the persecution they experienced in Europe and in Colonial America.

I'm not belittling Quakers. I'm belittling you for thinking that it has any place in this debate.

It's the tried and true..."I LIKE MACARONI!" argument....when people are talking about car engines.

I'm not belittling Quakers. I'm belittling you for thinking that it has any place in this debate.

The Quakers were the religious group whose Principles came CLOSEST to the founding tenets of this country and they were prosecuted, persecuted and killed by the Other, more dominant Christian denominations....and you think they don't have any place in this debate?

:lol::lol::lol:

Just like you don't think the Truism "Actions speak louder than words" doesn't have any place in this debate.

The Quakers were the religious group whose Principles came CLOSEST to the founding tenets of this country and they were prosecuted, persecuted and killed by the Other, more dominant Christian denominations....and you think they don't have any place in this debate?

Just like you don't think the Truism "Actions speak louder than words" doesn't have any place in this debate.

Er..ok, whatever you say.

:cuckoo::lol::wtf:

Like the Puritans, the Quakers came to the new world to escape religious persecution. And of all religious groups represented in the New World, the Quakers were closest in religious beliefs to the Puritans. But the Quakers refused to pay tithes to the Puritan-estbalished state church, refused to remove their hats in deference to authority, and refused to conform in some other ways to religious uniformity demanded by the Puritans. Thus many Quakers were imprisoned, put in stocks, punished, and hung, sometimes as witches.

Set up in their own colony away from the Puritans, the Quakers also were among the most tolerant of organized religious groups by allowing all minority religious groups to live in peace among them. And while opposition to slavery was almost universally spoken by Christians over all, the Quakers were the first organized American abolitionist group.

It should be noted, however, that the intolerance of the Puritans had also pretty well phased out and was no more by the end of the 17th Century.

Er..ok, whatever you say.

:cuckoo::lol::wtf:

Again, Allie. You really don't need to sign your posts....smilies or not.

Like the Puritans, the Quakers came to the new world to escape religious persecution. And of all religious groups represented in the New World, the Quakers were closest in religious beliefs to the Puritans. But the Quakers refused to pay tithes to the Puritan-estbalished state church, refused to remove their hats in deference to authority, and refused to conform in some other ways to religious uniformity demanded by the Puritans. Thus many Quakers were imprisoned, put in stocks, punished, and hung, sometimes as witches.

Set up in their own colony away from the Puritans, the Quakers also were among the most tolerant of organized religious groups by allowing all minority religious groups to live in peace among them. And while opposition to slavery was almost universally spoken by Christians over all, the Quakers were the first organized American abolitionist group.

It should be noted, however, that the intolerance of the Puritans had also pretty well phased out and was no more by the end of the 17th Century.

And the Founders, learning from the abuses of a Christian based society....made sure that mistake was not repeated.

Forum List

Back