The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity

Like the Puritans, the Quakers came to the new world to escape religious persecution. And of all religious groups represented in the New World, the Quakers were closest in religious beliefs to the Puritans. But the Quakers refused to pay tithes to the Puritan-estbalished state church, refused to remove their hats in deference to authority, and refused to conform in some other ways to religious uniformity demanded by the Puritans. Thus many Quakers were imprisoned, put in stocks, punished, and hung, sometimes as witches.

Set up in their own colony away from the Puritans, the Quakers also were among the most tolerant of organized religious groups by allowing all minority religious groups to live in peace among them. And while opposition to slavery was almost universally spoken by Christians over all, the Quakers were the first organized American abolitionist group.

It should be noted, however, that the intolerance of the Puritans had also pretty well phased out and was no more by the end of the 17th Century.

What year did the scientologists come over?

What utter crap.

Like the Puritans, the Quakers came to the new world to escape religious persecution. And of all religious groups represented in the New World, the Quakers were closest in religious beliefs to the Puritans. But the Quakers refused to pay tithes to the Puritan-estbalished state church, refused to remove their hats in deference to authority, and refused to conform in some other ways to religious uniformity demanded by the Puritans. Thus many Quakers were imprisoned, put in stocks, punished, and hung, sometimes as witches.

Set up in their own colony away from the Puritans, the Quakers also were among the most tolerant of organized religious groups by allowing all minority religious groups to live in peace among them. And while opposition to slavery was almost universally spoken by Christians over all, the Quakers were the first organized American abolitionist group.

It should be noted, however, that the intolerance of the Puritans had also pretty well phased out and was no more by the end of the 17th Century.

I implore the two of you to join me in praying that Bode meet the Lord soon.

And the Founders, learning from the abuses of a Christian based society....made sure that mistake was not repeated.

Yes, by taking government completely out of the equation - Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

it's too bad a bunch of liberal judges had to re interpret it and screw up the original intent

And the Founders, learning from the abuses of a Christian based society....made sure that mistake was not repeated.

Nope. The Founders made sure that people like the Puritan and the Quakers would have complete freedom to form whatever sort of society they wished. From the Puritans we got the most rigid, punitive, intolerant bunch of people that existed in the country to that time. And yet no theocracy developed, and the Puritan theocracy phased itself out by its own choice. From the Quakers we got a gentler Puritan discipline, examples of religious tolerance, and the first abolitionist movement.

People who have their rights secured and who are then left alone to govern themselves, will form a far superior society than will one under the thumb of an authoritarian government.

The Founders gave us a nation in which the federal government would not interfere with the people's religion.

Last edited:
What utter crap.

I implore the two of you to join me in praying that Bode meet the Lord soon.

Hello again. :bye1:

Nope. The Founders made sure that people like the Puritan and the Quakers would have complete freedom to form whatever sort of society they wished. From the Puritans we got the most rigid, punitive, intolerant bunch of people that existed in the country to that time. And yet no theocracy developed, and the Puritan theocracy phased itself out by its own choice. From the Quakers we got a gentler Puritan discipline, examples of religious tolerance, and the first abolitionist movement.

People who have their rights secured and who are then left alone to govern themselves, will form a far superior society than will one under the thumb of an authoritarian government.

The Founders gave us a nation in which the federal government would not interfere with the people's religion.

Exactly. Because they had seen exactly what happens when people try to model their government along what they consider acceptable religious lines.

Hello again. :bye1:

Still praying, looking forward to the news that you have met the Lord. It will be a glorious day, please hurry.

:lol: Nothing says Sincerity like one of thos "Bless your heart" American-style Christianity moments. :lol:

Hello again conj...I mean, TheBrain. :bye1:

Oh, I'm quite sincere here. My fondest wish is for you to meet my Lord and Savior. I can only hope that the meeting will be revealed via this website or other media sources.

If I had means to hastening this meeting, I would not hesitate to employ them.

Please Lord reveal thyself to Bode in a spectacular manner that even she can not argue with.

Ask the Indians how the wording of "their lands and property will never be taken from them" worked out for them in The 1787 Congressional Land Act.
(Pardon me just a sec while I move this strawman out of the way.............there we go.)

Does the wording of the act contain the words, “for the sole use of Christian Indians and the Moravian Brethren Missionaries for the civilizing of the Indians and promoting Christianity”? Did the government intend to promote the Christian conversion of the Indians? Did the government, in fact, implement that program? Did they spend money in doing so? Did Jefferson extend the program no less than three times? Well?

Contrast these actions to your claim that the Founders believed that religion and government were mutually exclusive and never promoted Christianity.

Gadawg73 said:
Politicians SAY anything for the masses. LAW is what counts.
Make up your mind already; you can’t have it both ways.

Before I get to that, if LAW is what counts, I just finished discussing a LAW that directly contradicts your position. In fact, you avoided discussing several laws in my last post because they fly in the face of your claims.

Now, back to public political statements and your own flip-flops. When confronted with evidence you don’t like, you tell us we should listen to the Founders’ statements. For example, you made the claim, “The Founders SPOKE PUBLICLY they wanted NO PART of any religion anywhere in government.” So, if you think they’re agreeing with you, then we can listen to them, but, when you’re confronted with Founders’ quotes that you don’t like, you say, “Politicians SAY anything for the masses.” Well, which is it? You can’t have it both ways.

Lastly, let’s take a look for just a moment at your societal placation theory: “Politicians SAY anything for the masses.” There’s just a teeny-weeny, itsy-bitsy little problem with that, at least as you apply it to the Founders. Are you aware we have quite a bit of the Founders’ private writings? (I’ve already mentioned in my last post James Madison’s notes in his personal Bible.) We also have the writings of their colleagues commenting on them and their views. All of it fully agrees and is consistent with their public statements. Were they trying to placate themselves?

Still praying, looking forward to the news that you have met the Lord. It will be a glorious day, please hurry.

:lol: Nothing says Sincerity like one of thos "Bless your heart" American-style Christianity moments. :lol:

Hello again conj...I mean, TheBrain. :bye1:

Oh, I'm quite sincere here. My fondest wish is for you to meet my Lord and Savior. I can only hope that the meeting will be revealed via this website or other media sources.

If I had means to hastening this meeting, I would not hesitate to employ them.

Please Lord reveal thyself to Bode in a spectacular manner that even she can not argue with.

Having a nice evening, Conj...I mean TheBrain? :bye1:

President, John Tyler, in an 1843 letter: "The United States have adventured upon a great and noble experiment, which is believed to have been hazarded in the absence of all previous precedent -- that of total separation of Church and State. No religious establishment by law exists among us. The conscience is left free from all restraint and each is permitted to worship his Maker after his own judgment. The offices of the Government are open alike to all. No tithes are levied to support an established Hierarchy, nor is the fallible judgment of man set up as the sure and infallible creed of faith. The Mohammedan, if he will to come among us would have the privilege guaranteed to him by the constitution to worship according to the Koran; and the East Indian might erect a shrine to Brahma, if it so pleased him. Such is the spirit of toleration inculcated by our political Institutions."
America is not a Christian nation - Michael Lind - Salon.com

The US is not a theocracy nor was it ever designed to be. Someone needs to inform the Dominionists and Christian Reconstructionist.

Last edited:
No one is saying it's a theocrasy, so your arguing a point that doesn't exist.

President, John Tyler, in an 1843 letter: "The United States have adventured upon a great and noble experiment, which is believed to have been hazarded in the absence of all previous precedent -- that of total separation of Church and State. No religious establishment by law exists among us. The conscience is left free from all restraint and each is permitted to worship his Maker after his own judgment. The offices of the Government are open alike to all. No tithes are levied to support an established Hierarchy, nor is the fallible judgment of man set up as the sure and infallible creed of faith. The Mohammedan, if he will to come among us would have the privilege guaranteed to him by the constitution to worship according to the Koran; and the East Indian might erect a shrine to Brahma, if it so pleased him. Such is the spirit of toleration inculcated by our political Institutions."

The US is not a theocracy nor was it ever designed to be. Someone needs to inform the Dominionists and Christian Reconstructionist.

Moron, nobody said it was a theocracy. The tragedy of this thread is that Bod, you and a select couple of others can't grasp the concept that the founding fathers founded the country upon Christian precepts...but it is NOT a theocracy.

So glad you're here. Now we can add another 200 pages of moronic musings. If anyone is more ridiculous and ignorant than Bod, it has to be you.

Moron, nobody said it was a theocracy. The tragedy of this thread is that Bod, you and a select couple of others can't grasp the concept that the founding fathers founded the country upon Christian precepts...but it is NOT a theocracy.

So glad you're here. Now we can add another 200 pages of moronic musings. If anyone is more ridiculous and ignorant than Bod, it has to be you.

Just imagine if L Ron Hubbard had been a founding father :eek:

Forum List

Back