The ultimate 2nd amendment poll!

What's your take on American citizens and firearms?

• The second amendment is very clear: "Shall not be infringed."

Votes: 82 78.1%
  • Ban all automaticweapons for citizens

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Ban all semi-automatic weapons for citizens

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Ban all weapons including muzzle loaders

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Ban knives

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ban forks and pencils too

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some common sense on the "Well-Regulated Militia"

The Founders talk to us about guns for a well-regulated militia « Fabius Maximus

Alexander Hamilton clearly sides with with “states’ rights” theory in Federalist Paper No. 29: “Concerning the Militia“, published in The Daily Advertiser, 10 January 1788 — Capitals in the original. Excerpt:

The power of regulating the militia, and of commanding its services in times of insurrection and invasion are natural incidents to the duties of superintending the common defense, and of watching over the internal peace of the Confederacy.

It requires no skill in the science of war to discern that uniformity in the organization and discipline of the militia would be attended with the most beneficial effects, whenever they were called into service for the public defense. It would enable them to discharge the duties of the camp and of the field with mutual intelligence and concert an advantage of peculiar moment in the operations of an army; and it would fit them much sooner to acquire the degree of proficiency in military functions which would be essential to their usefulness.

This desirable uniformity can only be accomplished by confiding the regulation of the militia to the direction of the national authority. It is, therefore, with the most evident propriety, that the plan of the convention proposes to empower the Union:

“to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, RESERVING TO THE STATES RESPECTIVELY THE APPOINTMENT OF THE OFFICERS, AND THE AUTHORITY OF TRAINING THE MILITIA ACCORDING TO THE DISCIPLINE PRESCRIBED BY CONGRESS.”

… If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Game, set, match. Well regulated militia means exactly what it sounds like.

Not crazy people buying a shitload of weapons and shooting up malls.

Actually, the term I would use there would be "self-loathing".

you look at people like Alan Keyes, Herman Cain, Mia Love- these are black folks who just hate being black.

Straw man argument because a black that thinks people shouldn't be on welfare they hate being black?

No, they hate being black because they realize that the reason they aren't riding on the back of the bus was some right minded folks said that was wrong.

And those folks were liberals, not convervatives.

Frankly, even when I was a lot more right wing (in other words, fooled into voting against my own economic interests) I thought people like Keyes were a bit whacky.

Now I recongize most of what the GOP goes on about is to keep people voting against their own economic interests.

Take away the gun bullshit, the religion bullshit, the gay bullshit and just run on the plutocracy vs. fairness, the GOP would get about 10% of the vote.

Straw man.

The Founders talk to us about guns for a well-regulated militia « Fabius Maximus

Alexander Hamilton clearly sides with with “states’ rights” theory in Federalist Paper No. 29: “Concerning the Militia“, published in The Daily Advertiser, 10 January 1788 — Capitals in the original. Excerpt:

The power of regulating the militia, and of commanding its services in times of insurrection and invasion are natural incidents to the duties of superintending the common defense, and of watching over the internal peace of the Confederacy.

It requires no skill in the science of war to discern that uniformity in the organization and discipline of the militia would be attended with the most beneficial effects, whenever they were called into service for the public defense. It would enable them to discharge the duties of the camp and of the field with mutual intelligence and concert an advantage of peculiar moment in the operations of an army; and it would fit them much sooner to acquire the degree of proficiency in military functions which would be essential to their usefulness.

This desirable uniformity can only be accomplished by confiding the regulation of the militia to the direction of the national authority. It is, therefore, with the most evident propriety, that the plan of the convention proposes to empower the Union:

“to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, RESERVING TO THE STATES RESPECTIVELY THE APPOINTMENT OF THE OFFICERS, AND THE AUTHORITY OF TRAINING THE MILITIA ACCORDING TO THE DISCIPLINE PRESCRIBED BY CONGRESS.”

… If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Alexander Hamilton was clearly the father of the modern day liberal movement.

Alexander Hamilton was clearly the father of the modern day liberal movement.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't it you that was just bitiching about "straw men" arguments. Maybe you could address what Hamilton wrote? You who understands that "regulated" means something different than "regulated".

[

Again, why do conservatives want to share their streets with people like Loughner and Holmes?

This shouldn't be a liberal/conservative thing. This should be a common sense thing.

But you have the NRA, which is very good at getting stupid people like you riled up and voting against your own economic interests, and the leaders take down big salaries and sit in big offices and put out another newsletter about how Obama wants to shoot your family because he's proposed a sensible background check provision.

You're being PLAYED, guy.

I let myself get played for years. Just not anymore.

Sure, I do. Almost none and less than that. Not worried about the likes of you.

No one in DC or the state capitol listens to you guys, bigrebnc. You know that. Not much you can do about it, bigrebnc, except act criminally and die for that militia mutt idiocy.

If your self worth was a check it would bounce because you write more than you are worth.
You don't know who I am nor how much influence and other like me have.

:lol: You are still whining. The GOP has the House and will hold it for some years. My Congressman won, my senator won, my legislator won, 13 of our 16 GOP local officials won.

We are not going extinct.

But your type of whining about guns is irrelevant. It means nothing ofther than you get to blow off steam.

it is your right.

JoeB has the right to express his opinion. He is merely whining. No one is taking anyone's guns away any time soon.

again, people are getting pretty sick of these shooting incidents, and the NRA can't stack dead bodies forever.

You see, Jake, this is why you can't "reform" the GOP. The GOP can't stand up to the NRA. They can't stand up to the REligious nutters. They can't stand up to the Tea Party.

And you just want to be with the cool kids, so you won't take a stand on anything, either.

Enjoy Oblivion, you're going to be there for a while.

Guy, Demographics will fix that pretty quickly...

The GOP holds the house because they managed to carve out a few districts they could take with 51% of the vote. As people expand out from the cities, that's not going to hold for long.

Unless the GOP gets right with working people, they will keep losing elections.

You need to really figure out which side you are on.

:lol: You are still whining. The GOP has the House and will hold it for some years. My Congressman won, my senator won, my legislator won, 13 of our 16 GOP local officials won.

We are not going extinct.

But your type of whining about guns is irrelevant. It means nothing ofther than you get to blow off steam.

it is your right.

JoeB has the right to express his opinion. He is merely whining. No one is taking anyone's guns away any time soon.

again, people are getting pretty sick of these shooting incidents, and the NRA can't stack dead bodies forever.

You see, Jake, this is why you can't "reform" the GOP. The GOP can't stand up to the NRA. They can't stand up to the REligious nutters. They can't stand up to the Tea Party.

And you just want to be with the cool kids, so you won't take a stand on anything, either.

Enjoy Oblivion, you're going to be there for a while.

JoeB, that thinking is delusional as that of your atheism. You have never been able to think well when you get emotional about matters.

JoeB, that thinking is delusional as that of your atheism. You have never been able to think well when you get emotional about matters.

Guy, I can read a poll, and I can read election results.

The Democrats got more votes in House races than the REpublicans got. Only Gerrymandering saved the GOP majority in the house. if the districts were still drawn the way they were in 2010, they'd be handing the gavel back to Pelosi.

Again- this was in a crap economy.

The GOP is losing because it no longer connects with people, and the people it does connect with- the gun nuts, the religious crazies and the plutocrats- scare the hell out of most people.

Eventually,t he Plutocrats and religious crazies will fight for control of the party, but if you think the "Green-Room" republicans are going to make a comeback, you're delusional.

[

Again, why do conservatives want to share their streets with people like Loughner and Holmes?

This shouldn't be a liberal/conservative thing. This should be a common sense thing.

But you have the NRA, which is very good at getting stupid people like you riled up and voting against your own economic interests, and the leaders take down big salaries and sit in big offices and put out another newsletter about how Obama wants to shoot your family because he's proposed a sensible background check provision.

You're being PLAYED, guy.

I let myself get played for years. Just not anymore.
You're the one being played. It's your argument to disarmed the only thing that will save your sorry ass from a tyrannical government.
The American people.

Wasn't it you that was just bitiching about "straw men" arguments. Maybe you could address what Hamilton wrote? You who understands that "regulated" means something different than "regulated".
I've already shown you in another post why don't you address that question linked to that post?

You're the one being played. It's your argument to disarmed the only thing that will save your sorry ass from a tyrannical government.
The American people.

If it ever gets to a point between a fight between the government and a few assholes with guns, most people will be cheering when the government shoots them like Old Yeller...

2337174727_5d817d764f.jpg

Frankly, the notion that you need to have a gun to protect yourself from the government is batshit crazy. I would almost count that as a mental deficiency in determining who can and can't have a gun.

Sure, I do. Almost none and less than that. Not worried about the likes of you.

No one in DC or the state capitol listens to you guys, bigrebnc. You know that. Not much you can do about it, bigrebnc, except act criminally and die for that militia mutt idiocy.

If your self worth was a check it would bounce because you write more than you are worth.
You don't know who I am nor how much influence and other like me have.

Again you are writing checks of your self worth that would bounce if it was actually based on the monetary system.

The American people.

If it ever gets to a point between a fight between the government and a few assholes with guns, most people will be cheering when the government shoots them like Old Yeller...

Frankly, the notion that you need to have a gun to protect yourself from the government is batshit crazy. I would almost count that as a mental deficiency in determining who can and can't have a gun.

The Battle of Athens

The American people.

Yeah... How well did that work out for Bill Clinton. You don't want to exercise your Freedoms, then fine don't buy a gun. You want me not to exercise my freedoms... then fuck off. The notion that I need a gun to protect myself from idiots like you who want to control what you think is best for me is far from bat shit crazy.

What facts here do you not get, bigreb?

No one is coming to take your guns from you.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

Forum List

Back