🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Theories on Why Atheists are met with Hostility

Atheists that proselytize.... :blahblah:

Exactly. If you don't believe in something - fine - more power to you. But you don't have to be a dick about it and go on rants about people who do.

A concept not mentioned in the video but happens to be the major source of hostility towards atheists.

Another reason why Pascal's Wager doesn't work. If they're wrong then they wasted their whole lives, waiting for death. Imagine how angry they would be if they could someone know it was all a lie before they died.

"OVERTHINKING"
The art of creating problems that weren't even there.

A year ago one of the nicest people I have known in my life passed away. His name was Dave. A simple man, nice to everyone, giving, thoughtful and genuine. Everyone on the office liked him, it was basically impossible to dislike him.
He was an atheist.
He wasn't disliked by anyone, despite everyone knowing this. He was, however, never judgmental or "holier than thou". He never talked about atheism or religion. Why would he? Usually if a person doesn't believe in something, they don't really think about it. I do not believe that Big Foot exist. I never talk about Big Foot.
Many atheist love to talk about themselves. And love to tell everyone about this badge of honor as they perceive it. That they are enlightened. Smart, not gullible and dumb like everyone else.

An asshole.
Stop being one and people will like you. The best advice anyone can give an atheist.

I can't speak for other atheists but in my own case I speak on atheism from a social rights standpoint not a religions standpoint. It is of no concern to me what others believe, and I do not feel more enlightened or in any other way superior to those of faith. My concern is only with the actions of those with faith and even then, only when those actions infringe on the inherent rights of others.
Sorry, but I call bullshit.
Much like some blacks and "racism"....they see racism everywhere they look...mostly where none is.
Much like some atheist. They don't believe in Christ, but constantly put themselves on a cross...always believing they are being persecuted. Always looking for something that might be "against my civil rights". - OMG!! - look a cross on the side of a building!!!! They are violating my civil rights!!!!!!!!
Yes. An asshole.

Exactly. If you don't believe in something - fine - more power to you. But you don't have to be a dick about it and go on rants about people who do.

A concept not mentioned in the video but happens to be the major source of hostility towards atheists.

Another reason why Pascal's Wager doesn't work. If they're wrong then they wasted their whole lives, waiting for death. Imagine how angry they would be if they could someone know it was all a lie before they died.

"OVERTHINKING"

A year ago one of the nicest people I have known in my life passed away. His name was Dave. A simple man, nice to everyone, giving, thoughtful and genuine. Everyone on the office liked him, it was basically impossible to dislike him.
He was an atheist.
He wasn't disliked by anyone, despite everyone knowing this. He was, however, never judgmental or "holier than thou". He never talked about atheism or religion. Why would he? Usually if a person doesn't believe in something, they don't really think about it. I do not believe that Big Foot exist. I never talk about Big Foot.
Many atheist love to talk about themselves. And love to tell everyone about this badge of honor as they perceive it. That they are enlightened. Smart, not gullible and dumb like everyone else.

An asshole.
Stop being one and people will like you. The best advice anyone can give an atheist.

I can't speak for other atheists but in my own case I speak on atheism from a social rights standpoint not a religions standpoint. It is of no concern to me what others believe, and I do not feel more enlightened or in any other way superior to those of faith. My concern is only with the actions of those with faith and even then, only when those actions infringe on the inherent rights of others.
Much like some blacks and "racism"....they see racism everywhere they look...mostly where none is.
Much like some atheist. They don't believe in Christ, but constantly put themselves on a cross...always believing they are being persecuted. Always looking for something that might be "against my civil rights". - OMG!! - look a cross on the side of a building!!!! They are violating my civil rights!!!!!!!!
Yes. An asshole.

It is Christianity in this country that has adopted a victim complex despite being the overwhelming religious and ideological majority. Secondly, no the slights I speak out against are not simply imagined. When high school students in North Carolina are denied the right to form a secular after school club despite there being a Christian club, I take issue with that. When states like Texas ban gay marriage I take issue with that. When the governor of Oklahoma orders all National Guard facilities to stop processing benefits for gay soldiers, I take issue with that. And when at least seven states have laws on the books that prohibit atheists from running for public office, I take issue with that. So you can call bullshit all you want, but the only source of it here, is you.

"OVERTHINKING"

He was an atheist.

An asshole.

Yes. An asshole.

Very simple solution. Take the cross off the public building. It doesn't belong.

And I'm sorry but clearly you are not a black person so how can you say you understand the racism they experience or say that it isn't there?

I am a white person and I do understand what they are saying and they do experience racism and you benefit from white privilege. Maybe you need to learn empathy.

"OVERTHINKING"

He was an atheist.

An asshole.

Yes. An asshole.

It is Christianity in this country that has adopted a victim complex despite being the overwhelming religious and ideological majority. Secondly, no the slights I speak out against are not simply imagined. When high school students in North Carolina are denied the right to form a secular after school club despite there being a Christian club, I take issue with that. When states like Texas ban gay marriage I take issue with that. When the governor of Oklahoma orders all National Guard facilities to stop processing benefits for gay soldiers, I take issue with that. And when at least seven states have laws on the books that prohibit atheists from running for public office, I take issue with that. So you can call bullshit all you want, but the only source of it here, is you.

Do you remember them crying about this?

Religious Services Denied to Military Personnel Due to Gov t Shutdown Priests Could Get Arrested for Volunteering

"OVERTHINKING"

He was an atheist.

An asshole.

Yes. An asshole.

Very simple solution. Take the cross off the public building. It doesn't belong.

And I'm sorry but clearly you are not a black person so how can you say you understand the racism they experience or say that it isn't there?

I am a white person and I do understand what they are saying and they do experience racism and you benefit from white privilege. Maybe you need to learn empathy.

I feel that empathy is something that many Christians and their apologists lack.

Are you sure the hate doesnt flow the other way?

Did you see the nice sweet cute high school girl who is an atheist and she sued and won to have the school take down a prayer they have up on the wall that says something about god?

She doesn't hate anyone. She simply felt it didn't belong. What was written in that prayer, she didn't agree with and was offensive to her.

You have to realize, if someone doesn't believe in god, to us it is an idiotic concept and it should not be assumed everyone believes in these god(s).

Anyways, you should have seen the town hall meetings. If those people could have they would have taken her out and crucified her. They were the ones that were showing evil.

“Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.” – Blaise Pascal

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” – Steven Weinberg

Theories on Why Atheists are met with Hostility

You mean by right wingnuts? It's OK, right wingnuts and Republicans are hated the world over. By everyone except other right wingnuts.

Did you see the nice sweet cute high school girl who is an atheist and she sued and won to have the school take down a prayer they have up on the wall that says something about god?

She doesn't hate anyone. She simply felt it didn't belong. What was written in that prayer, she didn't agree with and was offensive to her.

You have to realize, if someone doesn't believe in god, to us it is an idiotic concept and it should not be assumed everyone believes in these god(s).

Anyways, you should have seen the town hall meetings. If those people could have they would have taken her out and crucified her. They were the ones that were showing evil.

“Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.” – Blaise Pascal

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” – Steven Weinberg
Prayer for injured teen sparks atheist outrage Prayer for injured teen sparks atheist outrage Fox News See 2 can play............

"OVERTHINKING"

He was an atheist.

An asshole.

Stop being an asshole is the best advice you can give anyone.

To pretend that there are no theist assholes is BS.

Furthermore it is disingenuous to try to allege that atheists are assholes when all they are doing is exercising their FFR rights. Their rights are identical to yours. If you don't uphold their rights you will lose your own. That is why I uphold the rights of theists like you.

I do not attack people. In fact, I resent the accusation. I try very hard to be respectful and maintain my decorum during discussion on this forum. However, voicing a difference of opinion is the name of the game here and if you see that as an attack I'm sorry for that.

Do you seriously believe that mocking people's beliefs is respectful? If so, you have your head further up your ass than I thought. There are Christains who attack athiests on this forum, you should go read some of their posts to see the similarities between your tactics and theirs. While you are at it I suggest you search for all the non existent attacks started by people like me, the ones who are actually willing to let you believe whatever you want, as long as you extend the same courtesy to us. Your intolerance and bigotry are made manifest in every word you type. They even ooze from the name you chose for yourself.

Get down off your high horse, you just look stupid.

Prayer for injured teen sparks atheist outrage Prayer for injured teen sparks atheist outrage Fox News See 2 can play............

Do you not understand why?

Allowing an adult pastor to act as a ‘volunteer chaplain’ for the football team is not cool. The school cannot “allow a non-school adult pastor access to the children seeking to organize prayer for the students.”

Did you read the entire article?

The school district said the prayer was instigated by students and denied that a chaplain prayed with the team. So at least they understand that if they did that it would be wrong. Instead what they are doing is denying the coach had anything to do with it. Had he organized the prayer they'd be guilty. The school is saying the kids did it themselves. If that's the case no harm no foul.

Keep in mind in the past you guys argued that team chaplain's should be allowed. You lost that argument. Do you at least today understand why you lost and do you agree/understand why a team chaplain doesn't have a place at the school? You didn't before. My hunch is that if you could wave a magic wand and put a chaplain back into our schools, you would. So you probably do not understand.

The atheists said in a written statement that they were satisfied with the school’s response – and they now consider the matter closed.

“FFRF is very pleased with central Florida's new-found commitment to upholding the First Amendment and protecting the rights of all students, not just Christians,”

Parents, meanwhile, are a bit perturbed with the atheist bullying.

That's the thing. How many religious assholes say he's going to burn in hell when he dies?

We think/talk about god because it is such a pervasive concept.

And if your side didn't do things like insist America is a christian nation or use religion as a wedge issue to sucker gullible voters into voting against their own financial interests, I wouldn't care much what you guys think. So want to blame someone for this? Blame yourselves. What does Christianity say for you to do? Spread the word? Well if you are going to tell us about god, expect to hear what we think about your god.

And don't tell us we'll go to hell if we don't believe and then get offended when we call BULLSHIT on your story. Any logical thinking person would.

What does it matter to you if someone says something that is manifestly untrue about the future? If I claimed that everyone would live forever simply because I said so would you resent it, or would you just ignore it as complete drivel? Only idiots get offended by things they don't believe, stop being an idiot.

Last edited:

Her feelings were hurt by someone mentioning God, and you think she should be admired? Why not allow everyone to believe whatever they want, and to express themselves freely? Doesn't that make more sense than everyone trying to force their viewpoint down other people's throat? Or do you get a kick out of attempting to make other people believe you know more than they do?

Stop being an asshole is the best advice you can give anyone.

To pretend that there are no theist assholes is BS.

Furthermore it is disingenuous to try to allege that atheists are assholes when all they are doing is exercising their FFR rights. Their rights are identical to yours. If you don't uphold their rights you will lose your own. That is why I uphold the rights of theists like you.

There are assholes who believe in God, but there are no atheist who are assholes?

Talk about disingenuous.

I do not attack people. In fact, I resent the accusation. I try very hard to be respectful and maintain my decorum during discussion on this forum. However, voicing a difference of opinion is the name of the game here and if you see that as an attack I'm sorry for that.

Do you seriously believe that mocking people's beliefs is respectful? If so, you have your head further up your ass than I thought. There are Christains who attack athiests on this forum, you should go read some of their posts to see the similarities between your tactics and theirs. While you are at it I suggest you search for all the non existent attacks started by people like me, the ones who are actually willing to let you believe whatever you want, as long as you extend the same courtesy to us. Your intolerance and bigotry are made manifest in every word you type. They even ooze from the name you chose for yourself.

Get down off your high horse, you just look stupid.

My atheist friend who converted me had to tell me my belief was stupid, and he really hurt my feelings. It took a weekend for it to sink in. He wasn't trying to hurt my feelings. He was simply pointing out how stupid my belief was. Think about it. I realized years ago that all organized religions are complete bullshit, but I still had a personal relationship with god.

The more I learned the more realized how stupid my imaginary friend was.

Without him being brutally honest and hurting my feelings, I thought it was completely rational believing in my imaginary friend. It wasn't until he made me realize it was all in my head and he was right. Believing in god(s) is stupid.

"If they could somehow know it was a lie" is the hard part for you folks.

I wouldn't be angry at all. But then again, I'm not an angry person. You sure seem to be.

Do you not understand why?

Allowing an adult pastor to act as a ‘volunteer chaplain’ for the football team is not cool. The school cannot “allow a non-school adult pastor access to the children seeking to organize prayer for the students.”

Did you read the entire article?

The school district said the prayer was instigated by students and denied that a chaplain prayed with the team. So at least they understand that if they did that it would be wrong. Instead what they are doing is denying the coach had anything to do with it. Had he organized the prayer they'd be guilty. The school is saying the kids did it themselves. If that's the case no harm no foul.

Keep in mind in the past you guys argued that team chaplain's should be allowed. You lost that argument. Do you at least today understand why you lost and do you agree/understand why a team chaplain doesn't have a place at the school? You didn't before. My hunch is that if you could wave a magic wand and put a chaplain back into our schools, you would. So you probably do not understand.

The atheists said in a written statement that they were satisfied with the school’s response – and they now consider the matter closed.

“FFRF is very pleased with central Florida's new-found commitment to upholding the First Amendment and protecting the rights of all students, not just Christians,”

Parents, meanwhile, are a bit perturbed with the atheist bullying.
Yes I know why, they hate and are not secure in their belief so it must be imposed.
There was no Chaplain ....the atheist group accomplished nothing but wasting time and energy of those they hate

Her feelings were hurt by someone mentioning God, and you think she should be admired? Why not allow everyone to believe whatever they want, and to express themselves freely? Doesn't that make more sense than everyone trying to force their viewpoint down other people's throat? Or do you get a kick out of attempting to make other people believe you know more than they do?

Yes, and that is why you don't see atheist signs in school that say god is made up, a joke or not real.

Forum List

Back