🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Theories on Why Atheists are met with Hostility

The progressive atheist concept of *educating* Christians consists of rounding them up at gunpoint and placing them in *re-education camps*.

Seriously. It's not a new idea. Pretending we haven't traveled this road every time an atheist regime achieve power in the world isn't going to change reality.

It's not the Atheism that's operational here, it;'s the zealotry of Liberals engaging in a religious war. We see the same zealotry from Islamic Jihadists. Liberals want their religion to prevail.

AtheistBuddah, post: 9712385, member: 49804
Below, I have posted a link to a video I recently watched that I feel gives a good explanation for the hostility that many theists have towards atheists and why they often feel threatened by our nonbelief. My purpose for posting it here is to encourage others here to watch it and then post some of their own explanations of why they think atheists are so hated.

I don't need to watch your propaganda. Christians aren't threatened by disbelief. If anything we feel sorry for you. We know where you're bound.

More Christian empathy for their fellows. :eek:

Just because you believe something doesn't mean that it amounts to knowledge.

So it is apparent you don't know what the word empathy means, either.

Stating that we know where you're going does not denote a lack of empathy.

You never did grasp the concept of sarcasm either!

And no, you don't "know" anything of the sort. You "believe" something but you have zero factual knowledge that it even exists.

I kind of like the concept of us Atheists claiming that we ARE a religion! We can build buildings, have weekly parties, invest in real estate, and it would all be tax free!!!!!!

Atheist 'mega-churches' take root across US, world

First I have seen of that movement. More like a Sunday concert than a gathering of the pious. At the very least there won't be any of the hypocrisy that was so apparent in the Churches of my youth.

I'm a member of the Unitarian Church, where we go by 7 principles. I can only speak for myself on why I bother attending. To me, it's like an AA meeting for people trying to get over their past religion. I'm always tempted to raise my hand and introduce myself, then name the religion I'm trying to get over. LOL! But I would assume that some of these people miss church, without all the churchy stuff. I think it's a good thing.

The progressive atheist concept of *educating* Christians consists of rounding them up at gunpoint and placing them in *re-education camps*.

Seriously. It's not a new idea. Pretending we haven't traveled this road every time an atheist regime achieve power in the world isn't going to change reality.

It's not the Atheism that's operational here, it;'s the zealotry of Liberals engaging in a religious war. We see the same zealotry from Islamic Jihadists. Liberals want their religion to prevail.

Gotta :lol: when Rikki exposes his true theism!

I kind of like the concept of us Atheists claiming that we ARE a religion! We can build buildings, have weekly parties, invest in real estate, and it would all be tax free!!!!!!

Atheist 'mega-churches' take root across US, world

First I have seen of that movement. More like a Sunday concert than a gathering of the pious. At the very least there won't be any of the hypocrisy that was so apparent in the Churches of my youth.

I'm a member of the Unitarian Church, where we go by 7 principles. I can only speak for myself on why I bother attending. To me, it's like an AA meeting for people trying to get over their past religion. I'm always tempted to raise my hand and introduce myself, then name the religion I'm trying to get over. LOL! But I would assume that some of these people miss church, without all the churchy stuff. I think it's a good thing.

There are many aspects of religion that are positive in people's lives. The feeling of community being one of them. Subtract the mumbo-jumbo and it is a good way to socialize and interact face to face.

Below, I have posted a link to a video I recently watched that I feel gives a good explanation for the hostility that many theists have towards atheists and why they often feel threatened by our nonbelief. My purpose for posting it here is to encourage others here to watch it and then post some of their own explanations of why they think atheists are so hated.

I don't need to watch your propaganda. Christians aren't threatened by disbelief. If anything we feel sorry for you. We know where you're bound.

And no, you don't "know" anything of the sort. You "believe" something but you have zero factual knowledge that it even exists.

What on earth are you talking about? I know what sarcasm is. My POINT is that it's wasted effort because stating that you know where people are going is not indicative of empathy, or a lack thereof.

With that attitude, you may be joining us in the hell-fire pit, so you might think about being nice. LOL!

Still waiting for koshergrl's "the bible says the earth is round" quote...:)

There is a reference to the Earth being circular. Does that mean spherical or a flat circular surface? There was plenty of evidence of Earth's shape during ancient times - climb a mountain and see the curvature of the Earth, which right there invalidates the flat earth hypothesis. See the shape of the Earth from its shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse. Sail a ship beyond the horizon and bring it back. Where did it disappear to? Why did it appear to be "sinking" as it slowly disappeared? This was all known back in ancient eras, before the Bible was written, so Earth being described as circular very likely means spherical.

And what religion is that? I'm a Democrat (you call me a Liberal), but I'm a Baptist....and yeah, I want my religion to prevail, not the psuedo Christianity some conservative reactionaries are trying to push.

Cut n paste morons, quit hitting reply and mass quoting. Not that hard.

I want to see this too.....:disbelief:

Isaiah 40:22

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.​

Except, you don't know where anyone is going.

What on earth are you talking about? I know what sarcasm is. My POINT is that it's wasted effort because stating that you know where people are going is not indicative of empathy, or a lack thereof.

Finally you admit to being clueless! That is the first step to recovery. :D

If you allegedly "know where people are going" then what are the GPS coordinates of this "hell" that you are threatening? Can you see images of it on Google earth? Or it is in another Galaxy? If you have this "knowledge" then that means you must be able to provide some hard evidence of the existence of "hell". So now is the time to produce it because if you can't then you are admitting that you don't "know" and are simply proving that your religion is fear based.

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.​

The desperation is palpable! :lol:

The fact that from any elevated vantage point the horizon appears as a circle is not evidence that "the bible says the earth is round". It is merely an observation of what the view is like up there. It would take the inquiring mind of a scientist to make the connection between the observed circle and the moon. There is no such connection demonstrated in that verse.

Except, you don't know where anyone is going.

Which is considerably more honest than your canards telling those that don't share your superstitions that YOU "know where they are going".

The fact that from any elevated vantage point the horizon appears as a circle is not evidence that "the bible says the earth is round". It is merely an observation of what the view is like up there. It would take the inquiring mind of a scientist to make the connection between the observed circle and the moon. There is no such connection demonstrated in that verse.

Moron.

You see the curvature of the earth if you are high enough. You can see the circle of the horizon by standing on a flat plain. Stand on flat ground, do a 360 and you've just seen the circle.

Have you never actually climbed to the top of a mountain and seen the curvature? Look, that's nothing to be ashamed about, plenty of people live far away from hills and mountains and long vistas.

Moron.

You see the curvature of the earth if you are high enough. You can see the circle of the horizon by standing on a flat plain. Stand on flat ground, do a 360 and you've just seen the circle.

Have you never actually climbed to the top of a mountain and seen the curvature? Look, that's nothing to be ashamed about, plenty of people live far away from hills and mountains and long vistas.

Ironic name calling when you obviously failed to comprehend what I actually posted and you subsequently regurgitated.

You only know that it is the "curvature" because you know that the earth is a sphere. The person writing that bible verse called it a "circle" because they didn't know that they were observing the "curvature".

Once again you display your ignorance. Just how old are you?

Moron.

Ironic name calling when you obviously failed to comprehend what I actually posted and you subsequently regurgitated.

You only know that it is the "curvature" because you know that the earth is a sphere. The person writing that bible verse called it a "circle" because they didn't know that they were observing the "curvature".

Got any little kids around? Try this experiment. Hold up a dinner plate and ask them what shape it is. They'll answer that it's a circle. Now hold up an apple and ask them what shape it is. Very few will tell you that it's a sphere, almost all will tell you that it's a circle. This will even work with many "I'm not so good at math" adults. They know full well that it's a sphere, but they lack precision in language.

BTW, they had apples back in ancient days, so people understood what a sphere was and understood the difference between a flat plane and a curved plane.

You're also forgetting ships on a horizon. Ships were plying the Mediterranean. You can't see Italy from Egypt, just a FYI to help you out.

Moron.

Got any little kids around? Try this experiment. Hold up a dinner plate and ask them what shape it is. They'll answer that it's a circle. Now hold up an apple and ask them what shape it is. Very few will tell you that it's a sphere, almost all will tell you that it's a circle. This will even work with many "I'm not so good at math" adults. They know full well that it's a sphere, but they lack precision in language.

BTW, they had apples back in ancient days, so people understood what a sphere was and understood the difference between a flat plane and a curved plane.

You're also forgetting ships on a horizon. Ships were plying the Mediterranean. You can't see Italy from Egypt, just a FYI to help you out.

As a good little theist you are now making up excuses for the fabrication that the bible does not state that the earth is round. :lol:

The more I learn about science, the more I can honestly say "yes".

A little background:

I'm fascinated with the Big Bang, String Theory, Quantum Mechanics etc. (one of several hobbies of mine). I'm just geeky enough to set a lot of Science Channel shows on my DVR. The more I learn about the inner-workings of the Universe, the more I revere God. All these things help explain "how" He created our existence.

Its very obvious that God would create all the laws of science along with the dirt that gathered to create us in a very specific and (so far) unique manner.

Christianity (my specific religion) has gone through reform on more than one occasion, getting more and more peaceful as time moves on and as we learn more about our Creator. The next reform I believe will happen as soon as we confirm life on one of the thousands of newly discovered exoplanets.

If you are into science and logic then can you resolve this paradox about your creator?

Omnipotence is a paradox because if there is something that your creator cannot destroy then he is not omnipotent. Equally so if he cannot create something that he cannot destroy he is not omnipotent either.

Ergo your creator is not omnipotent.

Law of Conservation stipulates that matter is neither created nor destroyed. That means that the matter/energy of the universe has always existed and will always exist in one form or another which precludes the need for a creator.
your error is simple....the law of conservation stipulates that WE can neither create nor destroy matter and energy.....

Forum List

Back