🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Theories on Why Atheists are met with Hostility

More Christian empathy for their fellows. :eek:
Just because you believe something doesn't mean that it amounts to knowledge.

Just because you don't believe something doesn't void knowledge. Christians are empathetic enough to pray on your behalf. Christ died on your behalf. Neither will wipe your butt and beg you to choose eternal life over death. That is left up to you.

One of these days, I'll suggest that you leave early from your meeting at the Flat Earth Society and study some relevant history.

Some truths about the damage that you religious extremists have caused to humanity will be a valuable lesson for you.

Troll is as troll does.
Nothing more than your usual pointless sniping. That actually defines you as the troll.

The fact is, as Europe began to claw its way out from under the imposed ignorance and oppression of the church; the Enlightenment, science began the evisceration of metaphysics and Christian imposed fear of science. It was the great thinkers, scientists and mathematicians who carried that battle to the church where a less friendly scientific arena where physical truths must be accounted for. In a similar way the development of the scientific method and the consensus it brings, combined with the academic and intellectual freedoms of the Renaissance and the Age of Enlightenment, left less and less room for literal interpretations of any creation stories.

How tragic for you that your cabal of Falwell clones have become nothing more than a laughable distraction.

Last edited:
Cut n paste morons, quit hitting reply and mass quoting. Not that hard.

Still waiting for koshergrl's "the bible says the earth is round" quote...:)
I want to see this too.....:disbelief:

Isaiah 40:22

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.​

The desperation is palpable! :lol:

The fact that from any elevated vantage point the horizon appears as a circle is not evidence that "the bible says the earth is round". It is merely an observation of what the view is like up there. It would take the inquiring mind of a scientist to make the connection between the observed circle and the moon. There is no such connection demonstrated in that verse.

Moron.

You see the curvature of the earth if you are high enough. You can see the circle of the horizon by standing on a flat plain. Stand on flat ground, do a 360 and you've just seen the circle.

Have you never actually climbed to the top of a mountain and seen the curvature? Look, that's nothing to be ashamed about, plenty of people live far away from hills and mountains and long vistas.

Ironic name calling when you obviously failed to comprehend what I actually posted and you subsequently regurgitated.

You only know that it is the "curvature" because you know that the earth is a sphere. The person writing that bible verse called it a "circle" because they didn't know that they were observing the "curvature".

Once again you display your ignorance. Just how old are you?

Got any little kids around? Try this experiment. Hold up a dinner plate and ask them what shape it is. They'll answer that it's a circle. Now hold up an apple and ask them what shape it is. Very few will tell you that it's a sphere, almost all will tell you that it's a circle. This will even work with many "I'm not so good at math" adults. They know full well that it's a sphere, but they lack precision in language.

BTW, they had apples back in ancient days, so people understood what a sphere was and understood the difference between a flat plane and a curved plane.

You're also forgetting ships on a horizon. Ships were plying the Mediterranean. You can't see Italy from Egypt, just a FYI to help you out.

As a good little theist you are now making up excuses for the fabrication that the bible does not state that the earth is round. :lol:

No, I simply debate honestly, I'm well read in most of the major religions, and this isn't really about defending the Bible, it's about putting the knowledge of people in the Bronze Age into perspective, and during that time some people did have knowledge of the shape of the Earth. Not the mud farmers, but the writers, thinkers, scholars and who do you think wrote the Bible, the illiterate slaves?

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth...... Isaiah 40:22
Isaiah 11:12

And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH.

Isaiah 11:12(a) Surely, thouest gawds have played a cruel'eth joke on the minions.

And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH.

Isaiah 11:12(a) Surely, thouest gawds have played a cruel'eth joke on the minions.

oh you poor nubbin...here ya go:

" The word translated “corners,” as in the phrase above, is the Hebrew word, KANAPH. Kanaph is translated in a variety of ways. However, it generally means extremity.
It is translated “borders” in Numbers 15:38. In Ezekiel 7:2 it is translated “four corners” and again in Isaiah 11:12 “four corners.” Job 37:3 and 38:13 as “ends.”

The Bible refers to the four corners of the earth. How can a spherical earth have corners ChristianAnswers.Net

As a good little theist you are now making up excuses for the fabrication that the bible does not state that the earth is round. :lol:

Except it does:

Isaiah 40:22: It is He that sitteth upon the circle of the earth.....

I'd laughy face you too but then I would be accused of a lack of empathy.

To find the 4 corners of the earth, look at a compass. Christ is King from the North to the South from the East to the West.

oh you poor nubbin...here ya go:

" The word translated “corners,” as in the phrase above, is the Hebrew word, KANAPH. Kanaph is translated in a variety of ways. However, it generally means extremity.
It is translated “borders” in Numbers 15:38. In Ezekiel 7:2 it is translated “four corners” and again in Isaiah 11:12 “four corners.” Job 37:3 and 38:13 as “ends.”

The Bible refers to the four corners of the earth. How can a spherical earth have corners ChristianAnswers.Net
Oh, you poor, angry, fundie. How typical that you're forced to jump through hoops in futile efforts to redefine the errors, inconsistencies and falsehoods in the many bibles.

Why didn't the gawds just pay the money and hire a decent editor? Instead, they cheaped-out and went with a bunch of incompetents who couldn't keep their tales and fables in order.

"
Some have tried to ridicule the Bible to say that it teaches that the earth is square. The Scripture makes it quite clear that the earth is a sphere (Isaiah 40:22).
Some have tried to say there are four knobs, or peaks on a round earth. Regardless of the various ways kanaph is translated, it makes reference to EXTREMITIES. "

How remarkable. A Christian ministry chooses to defend the bibles.

Oh ho, look at that, a hateful bigot misuses the term *fundie* in an attempt to marginalize Christians.

Lolol..how remarkable, a hateful atheist lies about the bible.
Revelation 7:1
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (KJV)

You angry fundies should learn that behaving like petulant children makes you look desperate.

1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (KJV)

You angry fundies should learn that behaving like petulant children makes you look desperate.

"Some have tried to ridicule the Bible to say that it teaches that the earth is square. The Scripture makes it quite clear that the earth is a sphere (Isaiah 40:22).
Some have tried to say there are four knobs, or peaks on a round earth. Regardless of the various ways kanaph is translated, it makes reference to EXTREMITIES. "

"
There are many ways in which God the Holy Spirit could have said corner. Any of the following Hebrew words could have been used:
  • Pinoh is used in reference to the cornerstone.
  • Paioh means “a geometric corner”
  • Ziovyoh means “right angle” or “corner”
  • Krnouth refers to a projecting corner.
  • Paamouth - If the Lord wanted to convey the idea of a square, four-cornered earth, the Hebrew word paamouth could have been used. Paamouth means square.
Instead, the Holy Spirit selected the word kanaph, conveying the idea of extremity.
It is doubtful that any religious Jew would ever misunderstand the true meaning of kanaph. "

I know this is a little high brow for you and far beyond your intellectual capabilities, but I still like to put the information out there. Maybe you'll accidentally absorb some.

"Some have tried to ridicule the Bible to say that it teaches that the earth is square. The Scripture makes it quite clear that the earth is a sphere (Isaiah 40:22).

"
There are many ways in which God the Holy Spirit could have said corner. Any of the following Hebrew words could have been used:
  • Pinoh is used in reference to the cornerstone.
  • Paioh means “a geometric corner”
  • Ziovyoh means “right angle” or “corner”
  • Krnouth refers to a projecting corner.
  • Paamouth - If the Lord wanted to convey the idea of a square, four-cornered earth, the Hebrew word paamouth could have been used. Paamouth means square.
Instead, the Holy Spirit selected the word kanaph, conveying the idea of extremity.
It is doubtful that any religious Jew would ever misunderstand the true meaning of kanaph. "

I know this is a little high brow for you and far beyond your intellectual capabilities, but I still like to put the information out there. Maybe you'll accidentally absorb some.

Fundie ministries are low brow. Now you're gettin' it.

Oopsies!

Jeremiah 16:19
19 O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ENDS OF THE EARTH, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit. (KJV)

So, how many angels/jinn/spooks stand at the ends of the earth?

DT shows where the hostility comes from.

And it isn't the Christians.

You are probably the single most hostile faux Christian in this entire forum. I call you a faux Christian because you display none of the normal attributes associated with Christianity. You treat everyone who doesn't kiss your feet like the enemy. What is even worse is that you take pleasure out of being nasty to others. You were singlehandedly responsible for triggering the ultimate demise of the Tavern and the banning of it's OP so you even managed to betray your own friends.

You are the epitome of hostility towards atheists and if I was to postulate a theory per the OP of this thread I would put it down to your own lack of self esteem. You are so insecure you feel the need to put down others in order to boost your own fragile ego.

Atheists are a convenient whipping boy for you because you know that they are the last persecuted minority that you can get away with denigrating. By failing to show Christian compassion for your fellows and instead attacking them you are exposing the vile mendacity of your inner being.

Your kneejerk reaction is going to be a screech that I am displaying "hostility" towards you but it is anything but that. I am not posting this out of any emotion on my part at all. Instead I posting this because it is the simple truth about you and your hostility towards atheists.

Bravo.

Poor illiterate bigots:

"Some Bible critics have claimed that Revelation 7:1 assumes a flat earth since the verse refers to angels standing at the “four corners” of the earth. Actually, the reference is to the cardinal directions: north, south, east, and west. Similar terminology is often used today when we speak of the sun's rising and setting, even though the earth, not the sun, is doing the moving. Bible writers used the “language of appearance,” just as people always have. Without it, the intended message would be awkward at best and probably not understood clearly. [DD]
In the Old Testament, Job 26:7 explains that the earth is suspended in space, the obvious comparison being with the spherical sun and moon. [DD]
A literal translation of Job 26:10 is “He described a circle upon the face of the waters, until the day and night come to an end.” A spherical earth is also described in Isaiah 40:21-22—“the circle of the earth.”
Note, the Biblical Hebrew word for “circle” (חוג—chuwg) can also mean “round” or “sphere.”

Did Bible writers believe the Earth was flat ChristianAnswers.Net

Poor illiterate bigots:

"Some Bible critics have claimed that Revelation 7:1 assumes a flat earth since the verse refers to angels standing at the “four corners” of the earth. Actually, the reference is to the cardinal directions: north, south, east, and west. Similar terminology is often used today when we speak of the sun's rising and setting, even though the earth, not the sun, is doing the moving. Bible writers used the “language of appearance,” just as people always have. Without it, the intended message would be awkward at best and probably not understood clearly. [DD]
In the Old Testament, Job 26:7 explains that the earth is suspended in space, the obvious comparison being with the spherical sun and moon. [DD]
A literal translation of Job 26:10 is “He described a circle upon the face of the waters, until the day and night come to an end.” A spherical earth is also described in Isaiah 40:21-22—“the circle of the earth.”
Note, the Biblical Hebrew word for “circle” (חוג—chuwg) can also mean “round” or “sphere.”

Did Bible writers believe the Earth was flat ChristianAnswers.Net
You poor angry, fundie.

Daniel 4:11
11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH: (KJV)

How strange that a flat earth is a consistent theme in the bibles.

Forum List

Back