🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

There was no letter on the bed

Washington Post. You know. Left of left. Much like the New York Times that actually broke the letter story.

They found witnesses.

WorldViews
Exclusive: Afghan villagers recall when Bergdahl stumbled into their midst

Until now, few details have emerged about the circumstances of Bergdahl’s disappearance from his base. But The Washington Post has reached Afghan villagers who spotted Bergdahl shortly after he slipped away from his base. To them, it’s clear something was wrong with the American. And he seemed to be deliberately heading for Taliban strongholds, they say.

Exclusive: Afghan villagers recall when Bergdahl stumbled into their midst - The Washington Post

I read an article earlier from CBS if I recall correctly which stated the same and also stated the ARMY also investigated his unit at the time of his disappearance. The only issues of concern was their inventorying night vision goggles properly and there was an area where Bergdahl slipped out of camp and he should not have been able to.

There was no issues of murdering people, killing them by car or otherwise, just the two above.

Republicans pretend they love the military. Now they are accusing the military of a "cover up". Guess there wasn't all that much love as we thought.

Actually there was a cover up, but the Right are ignoring that cover up because it was the cover up that turned Bergdahl against his unit. Bowe Bergdahl witnessed a careless manslaughter in 2009. The killing of a child. And then that killing was covered up by the officers in his Army unit: no report to Army Inspector General, no unit prosecution, no detention or reduction in pay grade, no punishment whatsoever for the MRAP driver who crushed the child.

So let me see if I follow your "logic" here, Ed...

Because Bergdahl was upset that a fellow soldier wasn't punished for an accident...he decided to switch sides and join the Taliban...a group that beheads starving children for taking food from coalition troops?

Are you REALLY going with this nonsense?

A perfect example of why absolutely nothing someone on the Right says can ever be trusted. They habitually change what is said by those they hate. Nowhere did I say that Bergdahl "switched sides and joined the Taliban" only that witnessing the cover up disillusioned him with his unit, which even the Hastings article pointed out was totally screwed up. To the Right then Hastings must have "switched sides and joined the Taliban" too for his comment.

Bowe Bergdahl: America's Last Prisoner of War by Michael Hastings | Politics News | Rolling Stone

"The discipline problems that had plagued Bowe’s unit back home only got worse when immersed in the fog of war. From the start, everything seemed to go wrong. In April, Lt. Fancey was removed from his post for clashing with a superior officer. He was replaced by Sgt. 1st Class Larry Hein, who had never held such a command – a move that left the remote outpost with no officers. According to four soldiers in the battalion, the removal of Fancey was quickly followed by a collapse in unit morale and an almost complete breakdown of authority.

The unruly situation was captured by Sean Smith, a British documentary filmmaker with The Guardian who spent a month embedded with Bowe’s unit. His footage shows a bunch of soldiers who no longer give a shit: breaking even the most basic rules of combat, like wearing baseball caps on patrol instead of helmets. In footage from a raid on a family compound, an old Afghan woman screams at the unit, ‘Look at these cruel people!’ One soldier bitches about what he sees as the cowardice of the Afghan villagers he is supposed to be protecting: ‘They say like, the Taliban comes down and aggravated* their town and harasses them… Why don’t you kill those motherfuckers? All of you have AKs. If someone is going into my hometown, I know my town wouldn’t stand for that shit. I’d be like, “Fuck you, you’re dead.”‘ Another soldier laments, ‘These people just want to be left alone.’ A third agrees: ‘They got dicked with by the Russians for 17 years, and now we’re here.’"

Actually there was a cover up, but the Right are ignoring that cover up because it was the cover up that turned Bergdahl against his unit. Bowe Bergdahl witnessed a careless manslaughter in 2009. The killing of a child. And then that killing was covered up by the officers in his Army unit: no report to Army Inspector General, no unit prosecution, no detention or reduction in pay grade, no punishment whatsoever for the MRAP driver who crushed the child.

Because Bergdahl was upset that a fellow soldier wasn't punished for an accident...he decided to switch sides and join the Taliban...a group that beheads starving children for taking food from coalition troops?

A perfect example of why absolutely nothing someone on the Right says can ever be trusted. They habitually change what is said by those they hate. Nowhere did I say that Bergdahl "switched sides and joined the Taliban" only that witnessing the cover up disillusioned him with his unit, which even the Hastings article pointed out was totally screwed up. To the Right then Hastings must have "switched sides and joined the Taliban" too for his comment.

Bowe Bergdahl: America's Last Prisoner of War by Michael Hastings | Politics News | Rolling Stone

"The discipline problems that had plagued Bowe’s unit back home only got worse when immersed in the fog of war. From the start, everything seemed to go wrong. In April, Lt. Fancey was removed from his post for clashing with a superior officer. He was replaced by Sgt. 1st Class Larry Hein, who had never held such a command – a move that left the remote outpost with no officers. According to four soldiers in the battalion, the removal of Fancey was quickly followed by a collapse in unit morale and an almost complete breakdown of authority.

The unruly situation was captured by Sean Smith, a British documentary filmmaker with The Guardian who spent a month embedded with Bowe’s unit. His footage shows a bunch of soldiers who no longer give a shit: breaking even the most basic rules of combat, like wearing baseball caps on patrol instead of helmets. In footage from a raid on a family compound, an old Afghan woman screams at the unit, ‘Look at these cruel people!’ One soldier bitches about what he sees as the cowardice of the Afghan villagers he is supposed to be protecting: ‘They say like, the Taliban comes down and aggravated* their town and harasses them… Why don’t you kill those motherfuckers? All of you have AKs. If someone is going into my hometown, I know my town wouldn’t stand for that shit. I’d be like, “Fuck you, you’re dead.”‘ Another soldier laments, ‘These people just want to be left alone.’ A third agrees: ‘They got dicked with by the Russians for 17 years, and now we’re here.’"

So you read the article. You know he was there less than 5 weeks, you know he said he would desert his post BEFORE EVER ARRIVING in Afghanistan. Please tell me how Bowe could have witnessed some crazy cover-up in the first two weeks there? How could he come to such a conclusion when there was no time to hardly investigate anything? He sent his belongings home after 2 weeks in country.

I read the report earlier on CBS news which said the ONLY deficiencies in his unit were the place Bowe escaped and keeping count of night vision goggles. Nothing about any other crazy cover-ups.

CaféAuLait;9217278 said:
Fuck! Are you saying he was NAKED when he left????

No, where did you even come up with that? Do you believe that soldiers only go to war with one uniform?

I suppose you think his parents are liars.

Thanks for the article. I hadn't read that one. So Republicans knew about this all the way back in 2012. I had heard they knew about it as far back as 2011.

And I sent OD Green pants, shirts and coats to cousins in Virginia and North Carolina when I was in the service. Course I never walked away a bunch of times either. No one ever accused me of being Forest Gump.

Hate to break this to you, Deanie...but you make Forrest Gump look like a MENSA candidate with some of your posts! At least Forrest had some common sense wisdom in the way he dealt with the world. You're just plain clueless...

For the life of me I can't figure out why THIS young man ever joined the Army in the first place! Did he not know what people in the Army do? Did he not understand that it's not a democracy and you don't get to pick up your ball and go home if you don't like the game?

CaféAuLait;9217345 said:

So you read the article. You know he was there less than 5 weeks, you know he said he would desert his post BEFORE EVER ARRIVING in Afghanistan. Please tell me how Bowe could have witnessed some crazy cover-up in the first two weeks there? How could he come to such a conclusion when there was no time to hardly investigate anything? He sent his belongings home after 2 weeks in country.

I read the report earlier on CBS news which said the ONLY deficiencies in his unit were the place Bowe escaped and keeping count of night vision goggles. Nothing about any other crazy cover-ups.

So you are saying that Hastings and Smith are full of shit and only CBS is Right. The difference is Smith has video.

Last edited by a moderator:
CaféAuLait;9217345 said:

So you are saying that Hastings and Smith are full of shit and only CBS is Right. The difference is Smith has video.

Wow, never even inferred Hastings was full of shit.

You are not getting my point.

According to Hastings Bergdahl said he would go AWOL BEFORE arriving in Afghanistan.

Bergdahl arrives in Afghanistan and within 2 weeks of arriving ( according to Hasting) Bergdahl has sent his military items home and tells his parents he will no longer need them.

Bergdahl leaves his unit for good less than 5 weeks after arriving.

Tell me how Bergdahl could have known of any cover-up or non- UCMJ action in 2 weeks on the ground. Bergdahl's supposed leaving because of some cover-up is BS. He planned on leaving "if the war was lame" before arriving and followed through on that promise by sending his items home 2 weeks into his deployment, and then actually disappearing less than 5 weeks in.

CaféAuLait;9217345 said:

CaféAuLait;9217429 said:

According to Hastings Bergdahl said he would go AWOL BEFORE arriving in Afghanistan.

Bergdahl arrives in Afghanistan and within 2 weeks of arriving ( according to Hasting) Bergdahl has sent his military items home and tells his parents he will no longer need them.

Tell me how Bergdahl could have known of any cover-up or non- UCMJ action in 2 weeks on the ground. Bergdahl's supposed leaving because of some cover-up is BS. He planned on leaving "if the war was lame" before arriving and followed through on that promise by sending his items home 2 weeks into his deployment, and then actually disappearing less than 5 weeks in.

Actually Hastings already told you, but you chose to ignore it. According to Hastings the problems with his unit existed BEFORE they went to Afghanistan!!! Read your own source!

CaféAuLait;9217345 said:

CaféAuLait;9217429 said:

Actually Hastings already told you, but you chose to ignore it. According to Hastings the problems with his unit existed BEFORE they went to Afghanistan!!! Read your own source!

I read my source. Tell me how Bowe would know the "coverup" of the murder of a child and others was really happening given he decided to leave 2 weeks in?

That's the problem here. 2 weeks does not give anytime to hardly start an investigation or UCMJ actions. The claims that this is his reason for leaving are ridliclous, especially given he stated he would go AWOL even before arriving in country.

Bowe planned going AWOL in the states and did so in less than 5 weeks. This BS story about coverup of murder and killing of children being covered up is silly.

He left because he planned it, not because of poor leadership or cover-ups. Bowe was unhappy because he was pissed about being rejected by the French Foreign Legion- the man should have never been allowed to enlist.

He is responsible for any soldier killed looking for his deserting ass. That's what pisses me off about him, he did not care about his fellow soldiers - he KNEW would be put in danger trying to find him.

For the life of me I can't figure out why THIS young man ever joined the Army in the first place! Did he not know what people in the Army do? Did he not understand that it's not a democracy and you don't get to pick up your ball and go home if you don't like the game?

He has a bit of Clive Bundy in him.

Republicans pretend they love the military. Now they are accusing the military of a "cover up". Guess there wasn't all that much love as we thought.

The Right's consensus on this issue is nothing more than we-have-to-oppose-it-because-Obama-did-it.

It doesn't matter who or what Bergdahl was/is. The Right would have concocted a trashing of the deal if our guy WAS a genuine war hero.

What's even more messed up is we have transmissions after Bowe was captured by the Taliban being caught going AWOL. the transmissions show the Taliban laughing and know the US is loooking for Bowe, they also know where they are looking for Bowe. They then order IEDs set up in the areas soldiers are looking for Bowe and setting up ambushes to kill US soldiers.

Those transmissions are on Wikileaks and in this article written in 2012.

The next morning, more than 24 hours after Bowe had vanished, U.S. intelligence intercepted a conversation between two Taliban fighters:

"I SWEAR THAT I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING YET. WHAT HAPPENED. IS THAT TRUE THAT THEY CAPTURED AN AMERICAN GUY?"

"YES THEY DID. HE IS ALIVE. THERE IS NO WHERE HE CAN GO (LOL)" "IS HE STILL ALIVE?"

"YES HE IS ALIVE. BUT I DONT HAVE THE WHOLE STORY. DONT KNOW IF THEY WERE FIGHTING. ALL I KNOW IF THEY WERE FIGHTING. ALL I KNOW THAT THEY CAPTURE HIM ALIVE AND THEY ARE WITH HIM RIGHT NOW."

Then another intercept was picked up:

"CUT THE HEAD OFF"

Later that evening, a final intercept confirmed that Bowe had been captured by the Taliban, who were preparing an ambush for the search party.

"WE ARE WAITING FOR THEM."

"LOL THEY KNOW WHERE HE IS BUT THEY KEEP GOING TO WRONG AREA."

"OK SET UP THE WORK FOR THEM."

"YES WE HAVE A LOT OF IED ON THE ROAD."

"GOD WILLING WE WILL DO IT."

"WE WERE ATTACKING THE POST HE WAS SITTING TAKING EXPLETIVE HE HAD NO GUN WITH HIM. HE WAS TAKING EXPLETIVE, HE HAS NOT CLEANED HIS BUTT YET." "WHAT SHAME FOR THEM."

"YES LOOK THEY HAVE ALL AMERICANS, ANA HELICOPTERS THE PLANES ARE LOOKING FOR HIM."

"I THINK HE IS BIG SHOT THAT WHY THEY ARE LOOKING FOR HIM."

A third voice chimed in:

"CAN YOU GUYS MAKE A VIDEO OF HIM AND ANNOUNCE IT ALL OVER AFGHANISTAN THAT WE HAVE ONE OF THE AMERICANS."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/americas-last-prisoner-of-war-20120607page=5#ixzz33qQsATiA
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

CaféAuLait;9217661 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43v-1sYNTQg

CaféAuLait;9217429 said:

I read my source. Tell me how Bowe would know the "coverup" of the murder of a child and others was really happening given he decided to leave 2 weeks in?

That's the problem here. 2 weeks does not give anytime to hardly start an investigation or UCMJ actions. The claims that this is his reason for leaving are ridliclous, especially given he stated he would go AWOL even before arriving in country.

Bowe planned going AWOL in the states and did so in less than 5 weeks. This BS story about coverup of murder and killing of children being covered up is silly.

He left because he planned it, not because of poor leadership or cover-ups. Bowe was unhappy because he was pissed about being rejected by the French Foreign Legion- the man should have never been allowed to enlist.

He is responsible for any soldier killed looking for his deserting ass. That's what pisses me off about him, he did not care about his fellow soldiers - he KNEW would be put in danger trying to find him.

He knew about the murder and cover up because he witnessed it.

And claiming he planned to go AWOL in Afghanistan while he was still in the states is the most ridiculous illogical claptrap ever!!!!

And no body was killed looking for him, that is just GOP/FOX scripted bullshit.

Eyewitnesses, Bergdahl's platoon members, saw the letter and their testimony is credible. The mystery is why this letter never made it into Bergdahl's official "investigative" file.

Anyone who says no letter existed is calling some damn good soldiers a bunch of liars. Those who deny the existence of the letter need to explain why soldiers would lie about a member of their own platoon.

There is only only liar in Bergdahl's platoon and that is Bergdahl himself.

the problem was, these weren't 'good soldiers'.

This unit was pretty messed up, it's Platoon Leader had been sacked, their platoon Sergeant had been demoted. There was an incident where a media team caught them on film goofing off in a combat zone.

You see, here's the thing. The Army was more interested in covering this up than really figuring out what happened. They probably figured they'd never see this guy again, so we don't want it to get out that morale is so low in these units that guys are just walking off the base.

The Right's consensus on this issue is nothing more than we-have-to-oppose-it-because-Obama-did-it.

It doesn't matter who or what Bergdahl was/is. The Right would have concocted a trashing of the deal if our guy WAS a genuine war hero.

If Bergdahl WAS a genuine war hero...the deal to release 5 top terrorists for him might be acceptable to me (although I'd still have reservations because of the precedent it would set) but to swap those 5 for someone who did what Bergdahl is alleged to have done is just absurd.

But beyond that...the reason why this deal was done NOW had little to do with Bergdahl's "failing health" and more to do with the Obama White House thinking that bringing him home would be a PR "win" at a time when they desperately needed to change the narrative from the VA scandal. What you on the Left refuse to admit is how badly Barry and his band of idiots misjudged how this would be viewed. It's just one more example of how incompetent this President is and how utterly clueless the people he's surrounded himself with are as well.

Eyewitnesses, Bergdahl's platoon members, saw the letter and their testimony is credible. The mystery is why this letter never made it into Bergdahl's official "investigative" file.

Anyone who says no letter existed is calling some damn good soldiers a bunch of liars. Those who deny the existence of the letter need to explain why soldiers would lie about a member of their own platoon.

There is only only liar in Bergdahl's platoon and that is Bergdahl himself.

the problem was, these weren't 'good soldiers'.

This unit was pretty messed up, it's Platoon Leader had been sacked, their platoon Sergeant had been demoted. There was an incident where a media team caught them on film goofing off in a combat zone.

You see, here's the thing. The Army was more interested in covering this up than really figuring out what happened. They probably figured they'd never see this guy again, so we don't want it to get out that morale is so low in these units that guys are just walking off the base.

Here's the "thing", Joe! You're willing to trash the reputations of everyone else in Bergdahl's platoon in order to cover up the stupidity of making this trade. There was no cover-up of a "messed up" unit by the Army. This is a rather pathetic attempt by you on the Left to excuse what it was the Bergdahl did. You need Bergdahl to be "heroic" because if he's simply an idiot who decided to change sides in the middle of a war then trading 5 dangerous terrorists for him was really bad policy. Doing it for political reasons only makes it worse.

If Bergdahl WAS a genuine war hero...the deal to release 5 top terrorists for him might be acceptable to me (although I'd still have reservations because of the precedent it would set) but to swap those 5 for someone who did what Bergdahl is alleged to have done is just absurd.

But beyond that...the reason why this deal was done NOW had little to do with Bergdahl's "failing health" and more to do with the Obama White House thinking that bringing him home would be a PR "win" at a time when they desperately needed to change the narrative from the VA scandal. What you on the Left refuse to admit is how badly Barry and his band of idiots misjudged how this would be viewed. It's just one more example of how incompetent this President is and how utterly clueless the people he's surrounded himself with are as well.

FIrst, the precedent, as you say was set when your boy Ronnie Raygun traded arms for hostages in the 1980's. That's a lot worse than giving back five ex-leaders who would probably be killed by the current leaders as rivals if they ever made it back home.

I guess we did "misjudge". We thought when all you wingnuts posted tweets about this poor POW who was left behind, we thought you actually wanted him back.

Until the Black Guy Rescued him. Now he's the worst traitor since Judas Iscariot and Benedict Arnold...

And you know, not just some misfit who walked off his post in a daze of Go-Pills and PTSD.

[

Here's the "thing", Joe! You're willing to trash the reputations of everyone else in Bergdahl's platoon in order to cover up the stupidity of making this trade. There was no cover-up of a "messed up" unit by the Army. This is a rather pathetic attempt by you on the Left to excuse what it was the Bergdahl did. You need Bergdahl to be "heroic" because if he's simply an idiot who decided to change sides in the middle of a war then trading 5 dangerous terrorists for him was really bad policy. Doing it for political reasons only makes it worse.

Bergdahl's platoon is the one who left a man behind. Because obviously, discipline had so degraded that they didn't even follow the basics.

When I went through NCO school, they spent a LOT of time teaching us how to spot guys who were losing it and might make a suicide attempt. And frankly, from what these soldiers now report, Bergdahl was showing all these signs. Sullen, withdrawn, giving away his personal possessions.

SO I have to ask, where were the NCO's in this unit, and why didnt' they intervene. YOu know, the ones running in front of every Faux News outlet they can get on, why didn't they do their jobs as NCO's five years ago?

The problem is that the story about the letter has been traced back to a source that admits they never saw the letter and he now says he thought he read about it in a report. FOX claims they got it from platoon members, but don't seem to have video or names to go with the allegation.
If anyone has a link to an interview or claim of a letter left by Bergdahl made by an actual platoon member please share it here.

Forum List

Back