"There's No Discipline! No Respect!"

You expect respect under these leftists woke savages we are living under OP??
Oh, gee, let's pretend it hasn't always been the right attacking public schools, blaming the unions and teachers, demanding increased privatization..

I keep hearing people who haven't set foot in a public school in decades - if ever - declaring with great certainty that there is "absolutely NO discipline or respect, etc. in the public schools!" I'm here to tell you they're wrong. Are there problems with all that sort of thing regarding some students? Of course. There always has been. Kids are kids, and at a certain age some are not so good at impulse control. This is not new. Backinmydayitis makes some people say some foolish things.

As I've mentioned many times, I work in a (very) urban school district. Just the sort that seems to scare the pants of some loud mouths. I get "yes sir" and "no sir," "thank you, sir" -ed all day long every day.

Discipline? There are a number of students on my rosters who have been out for a rather long time now on suspension. The school where I am teaching night school is a school specifically dedicated (during the day classes) to educating students who have been "invited" to leave the other high schools in the district. A police officer is stationed in the school full time. Yes sir, no sir, thank you sir still applies there as well.

Yes times change, but not as much as we sometimes want to convince ourselves.

Oh and in case you're wondering, no "woke shit" is going on that I have seen.
Do you have any idea why schools in Baltimore and Chicago have such a low rate of students proficient in math and reading?

Note: Chicago teachers are among the highest paid teachers in our nation.

Do you have any idea why schools in Baltimore and Chicago have such a low rate of students proficient in math and reading?

Note: Chicago teachers are among the highest paid teachers in our nation.

I can give you one idea. Here, a 35 yo Detroit mother of TWELVE--yes, TWELVE. Dies in childbirth. Now the grandmother is trying to raise all 12, God love her.

Do you think these children will come to school in any shape to learn? Because I don't.

That there was indeed a COVID pandemic.. that unsurprisingly had a negative impact upon all sorts of societal performance measures..
there was a pandemic Grumbly one, it started a generation ago when the mental health community imparted their pharmacopia RX on our kids.

at one point our CDC stated ADHD would be pandemic level, were it contagious

Our kids scores went south because they were doped up , and most parents didn't have the wearwithal to challenge it

But hey, at least the sat nice & quite for the DARE officer......

~S~

The TOPIC is:

You sticking your nose in the Public Education Discussion when you have ZERO experience.
Are you a teacher ?

This lib excuse that teachers are above criticism except by other teachers is bullshit

there was a pandemic Grumbly one, it started a generation ago when the mental health community imparted their pharmacopia RX on our kids.

at one point our CDC stated ADHD would be pandemic level, were it contagious

Our kids scores went south because they were doped up , and most parents didn't have the wearwithal to challenge it

But hey, at least the sat nice & quite for the DARE officer......

~S~
Thanks. That must explain why you didn't even read your own link. Got it.

Thanks. That must explain why you didn't even read your own link. Got it.
no it means there's an underlying reason Grumbly one

ADHD-Medications-for-Children-Side-Effects-and-Research-mini.jpg

~S~

no it means there's an underlying reason Grumbly one

ADHD-Medications-for-Children-Side-Effects-and-Research-mini.jpg

~S~
Sorry, I had no idea that BigPharma drugging our children caused COVID which caused our children to behave as though they lacked discipline. Boy, ya really do learn something new.. every day!

and apparently will continue to have none.....~S~
Great, sparky. So what's your idea? Pertaining to the topic, that is..
The topic being about refuting the popular notion that there's no longer any discipline in public schools these days. Do you have any ideas relating to that?

You see, old sparky one, you haven't exactly been on topic, now have you? Why is that? What do you imagine you've accomplished here? What have you helped clarify regarding schools being disciplined enough these days?

In other words, you don't really know what you're talking about but you insist that whatever you yank out of your ass be taken as an expert, informed opinion.

This is the guy who wanted all public school classrooms on live feed all the time. The conversation then went into um, many children have no media orders due to custody, etc. Then the geniuses in the thread said no problem, just have the teacher STAND IN THE SAME SPOT all day so the teacher can be recorded and the kids can stay at their desks.

Right. Great plan

I keep hearing people who haven't set foot in a public school in decades - if ever - declaring with great certainty that there is "absolutely NO discipline or respect, etc. in the public schools!" I'm here to tell you they're wrong. Are there problems with all that sort of thing regarding some students? Of course. There always has been. Kids are kids, and at a certain age some are not so good at impulse control. This is not new. Backinmydayitis makes some people say some foolish things.

As I've mentioned many times, I work in a (very) urban school district. Just the sort that seems to scare the pants of some loud mouths. I get "yes sir" and "no sir," "thank you, sir" -ed all day long every day.

Discipline? There are a number of students on my rosters who have been out for a rather long time now on suspension. The school where I am teaching night school is a school specifically dedicated (during the day classes) to educating students who have been "invited" to leave the other high schools in the district. A police officer is stationed in the school full time. Yes sir, no sir, thank you sir still applies there as well.

Yes times change, but not as much as we sometimes want to convince ourselves.

Oh and in case you're wondering, no "woke shit" is going on that I have seen.
Everything you say is anecdotal.
My brother and his wife work for the Chicago school system. And it is not even remotely close to what you are saying. His wife works in school administration, and has for 18 years.
The DEI boards have taken over the school system. Teachers operate in fear, administrators operate on fear.
What you describe in your experience is probably the same as it is here where I live.
But in major northern cities... it is not.

This is the guy who wanted all public school classrooms on live feed all the time. The conversation then went into um, many children have no media orders due to custody, etc. Then the geniuses in the thread said no problem, just have the teacher STAND IN THE SAME SPOT all day so the teacher can be recorded and the kids can stay at their desks.

Right. Great plan
Many of my class activities allow for the students to form into groups, rearrange the room, move about, etc. This allows students to bring their various learning styles into play in cooperatively and/or individually solving problems. I, of course, have to move around the room to facilitate, evaluate, and differentiate as needed. Standing still for the closeup shot is not an option.

What you describe in your experience is probably the same as it is here where I live.
But in major northern cities... it is not.
I have mentioned many times that I work in a "major northern city." I have worked in several "major northern cities."

In other words, you don't really know what you're talking about but you insist that whatever you yank out of your ass be taken as an expert, informed opinion.
I know that teachers are part of our failed education system

And you are not the superhero’s that you claim to be

Older people complain about teenagers just about everywhere around the world and they always have and they always will. That said, anyone teenager or adult tends to adjust to their environment. Put someone in an orderly environment and they will behave in an orderly way. Put someone in a disorderly environment and they will behave in a disorderly way.
That was tried and failed back in my day. The rotten apples that were placed in my classes were soon removed.

Forum List

Back