They don't make Republican consevatives like they used to

toxicmedia

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2011
Northern California
These guys would be drummed out of the GOP is they said things like this today.

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
Barry Goldwater

One can't doubt that the American objective in Iraq has failed - different plans have to be made. And the kernal here is the acknowlegement of defeat.
William F Buckley

Freedom is an indivisible word. If we want to enjoy it, and fight for it, we must be prepared to extend it to everyone, whether they are rich or poor, whether they agree with us or not, no matter what their race or the color of their skin
Wendell Willkie

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
Barry Goldwater

One can't doubt that the American objective in Iraq has failed - different plans have to be made. And the kernal here is the acknowlegement of defeat.
William F Buckley

Freedom is an indivisible word. If we want to enjoy it, and fight for it, we must be prepared to extend it to everyone, whether they are rich or poor, whether they agree with us or not, no matter what their race or the color of their skin
Wendell Willkie

Indeed they would. However, the problem with extremist positions is they do not work and eventually the people pushing those positions show up as failures. McArthy was once one of the most powerful men in the country but he crashed and burned because his entire purpose was to push ideology rather than results. The party will come back to a rational position once the ideologues demonstrate their utter inability to deliver on any of their promises.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

Indeed they would. However, the problem with extremist positions is they do not work and eventually the people pushing those positions show up as failures. McArthy was once one of the most powerful men in the country but he crashed and burned because his entire purpose was to push ideology rather than results. The party will come back to a rational position once the ideologues demonstrate their utter inability to deliver on any of their promises.
That is my hope.

Right now the GOP is like the nagging back seat driver on a long cross country road tip. And those folks always make wrong turns of their own when they're behind the wheel. Fox News and Reince Preibus's boys must be busy gearing up for their inevitable shift from government opposition to propaganda ministry for the regime.

I for one can't wait.

We will see how much power the far right extremists have with Mitchell and Boehner.

The key point will be another gif they push another government shutdown.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

Much of what we have now isn't republicanism but fascism.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

It's amazing that the Democrat icon said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

Talk about a complete turnaround.

But it isn't Extreme for a President of the Democrat party to call Republicans, terrorist, hostage takers, flat earthers, Deniers. blah blah blah

Your Progressive/Democrat/commie is nothing BUT radical extremist. so work on them you really give a crap or just cry us a River over a Republican saying something

But it isn't Extreme for a President of the Democrat party to call Republicans, terrorist, hostage takers, flat earthers, Deniers. blah blah blah

Your Progressive/Democrat/commie is nothing BUT radical extremist. so work on them you really give a crap or just cry us a River over a Republican saying something

I am a life long Republican and some of those in my party are all of those things. I do not claim the Democrats don't have their own nut cases - they most certainly do. But I am more concerned with the state of my own house.

2rn802h.jpg

That is my hope.

Right now the GOP is like the nagging back seat driver on a long cross country road tip. And those folks always make wrong turns of their own when they're behind the wheel. Fox News and Reince Preibus's boys must be busy gearing up for their inevitable shift from government opposition to propaganda ministry for the regime.

I for one can't wait.

You misread the tea leaves. Since time immemorial when extreme political movements have gained control of government policy, they have generally failed and blamed it on the "counter-revolutionaries". The Stalinist language for this is more colorful, but the right-wing juntas have done the same thing.

The first target will be the Democratic minority in the Senate. They will be blamed for obstruction, which will no longer be a bulwark of liberty against the tyranny of a majority, as it was when Democrats controlled the Senate, but an impediment to implementing the righteous will of the people. The key debate here will be whether to change the rules of the Senate to allow for more legislation to be subject to simple majority vote on closure.

The second target will be the president. The veto will be thwarting the will of the people. The idea of amending the Constitution to lower the supermajority needed to override a veto may be floated. And of course, no appointments can be approved because no "suitable" nominations are being made.

The key is that the real battle will not be between Republicans and Democrats, but between defenders of the institution (which I am pretty sure will include the Speaker and the Senate Majority leader) and the ideological firebrands. It will make for good theater for those with a sense of irony.

Stephanie, your avatar makes an unintended reference to a famous slogan:

"There is a street in Canton called Peace; there is a town in Mississippi called Liberty; there is a Department in Washington called Justice."

You might want to change your "location".

Stephanie, your avatar makes an unintended reference to a famous slogan:

"There is a street in Canton called Peace; there is a town in Mississippi called Liberty; there is a Department in Washington called Justice."

You might want to change your "location".

I'll stick with what it refers to with all the idiots in the picture
thanks

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

The difference between the GOP and the Democratic Parties right now is that there is room for a difference of opinion on the Republican side whereas moderates have simply vanished from the Democratic side of the political landscape over the last two election cycles. The only moderate Democrat left might be Joe Manchin. Eisenhower, Goldwater, Buckley and Wilkie's opinion would all be heard today just like they were heard years ago. Who's the voice of moderation in the Democratic Party, Toxic?

That is my hope.

I for one can't wait.

You misread the tea leaves. Since time immemorial when extreme political movements have gained control of government policy, they have generally failed and blamed it on the "counter-revolutionaries". The Stalinist language for this is more colorful, but the right-wing juntas have done the same thing.

The first target will be the Democratic minority in the Senate. They will be blamed for obstruction, which will no longer be a bulwark of liberty against the tyranny of a majority, as it was when Democrats controlled the Senate, but an impediment to implementing the righteous will of the people. The key debate here will be whether to change the rules of the Senate to allow for more legislation to be subject to simple majority vote on closure.

The second target will be the president. The veto will be thwarting the will of the people. The idea of amending the Constitution to lower the supermajority needed to override a veto may be floated. And of course, no appointments can be approved because no "suitable" nominations are being made.

The key is that the real battle will not be between Republicans and Democrats, but between defenders of the institution (which I am pretty sure will include the Speaker and the Senate Majority leader) and the ideological firebrands. It will make for good theater for those with a sense of irony.

What's laughable about that whole diatribe, Oldfart...is that you've described EXACTLY what the Democrats attempted to do when they controlled both houses of Congress and also what they did when they only controlled the Senate.

Republicans won't try to change the Constitution. They will pass legislation in the House...send it to the Senate...pass it there and send it to the President's desk. If Barack Obama doesn't like that legislation he's free to veto it. Everyone's cards are on the table. Everyone will know who is "obstructing" legislation and who isn't. It won't be like the past four years where hundreds of House bills stacked up on Harry Reid's desk because he wouldn't bring them to the floor of the Senate. THAT is obstruction in it's most blatant form and THAT is won't be going on from the time the new Congress is sworn in.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

They don't make Republicans or Republican conservatives any more. They don't have Republican values and they aren't conservative, they are RINOs who have no clue about what any terminology means.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

The difference between the GOP and the Democratic Parties right now is that there is room for a difference of opinion on the Republican side whereas moderates have simply vanished from the Democratic side of the political landscape over the last two election cycles. The only moderate Democrat left might be Joe Manchin. Eisenhower, Goldwater, Buckley and Wilkie's opinion would all be heard today just like they were heard years ago. Who's the voice of moderation in the Democratic Party, Toxic?
This thread is not about the differences between the GOP and the DNC today, it's about the differences between the party of Lincoln and the modern Tea Party infested GOP.

The GOP used to have moderates prior to 1990, and prior to 1970 even had liberals. People like N. Rockefeller, Shafer, Percy, Hatfield, W. Rockefeller, and even Eisenhower was viewed as a liberal by Goldwater and his bunch.

The DNC hasn't actually shifted to the left, they've shifted to the center. They just look far away to you.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

They don't make Republicans or Republican conservatives any more. They don't have Republican values and they aren't conservative, they are RINOs who have no clue about what any terminology means.
They're all either evangelicals, or they pander to them

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

This thread is not about the differences between the GOP and the DNC today, it's about the differences between the party of Lincoln and the modern Tea Party infested GOP.

The GOP used to have moderates prior to 1990, and prior to 1970 even had liberals. People like N. Rockefeller, Shafer, Percy, Hatfield, W. Rockefeller, and even Eisenhower was viewed as a liberal by Goldwater and his bunch.

The DNC hasn't actually shifted to the left, they've shifted to the center. They just look far away to you.

How can you possibly say that the DNC has shifted to the center, Toxic? Name the Democratic "moderates".

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

He's back. His name is now Ted Cruz.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barry Goldwater

William F Buckley

Wendell Willkie

They're all either evangelicals, or they pander to them

I'm an agnostic...not an evangelical. Nobody is trying to run me out of the Republican Party.

Forum List

Back