This Age of Insecurity

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Nearly every day we hear politicians talk about fighting. They tell us they will “fight for” some pet issue or for some favorite group of people. Our televisions entice us with claims of “powerful dramas,” and the news reports are full of powerful leaders, powerful military, powerful ideas. So much of our media is focused on a narrative of fights and power. It’s no wonder we have so many cop shows on television, and that most of their story lines revolve around situations guided by their guns.

We tend to characterize a leader as someone who fights for a cause, but I think the best leaders are actually calm and assertive, not angry and aggressive. Such a leader is secure, able to manage existential anxiety and systemic anxiety with courage and calmness, responsive to that of God within. It begins with a pause that gives one the space to listen to the Inward Voice that can speak with nerve and peacefulness.

Life challenges us to seek the courage to live peacefully with anxiety, to risk vulnerability, and to work up the nerve to speak out when we find a new and brighter path for our communities to take.

We don’t see much calm, secure leadership today. Instead we are bombarded by what appears to be a collective obsession with fights and power—symptoms of serious insecurity. In this essay I hope to make some sense of this age of insecurity and call for a different kind of leadership.

The last century was replete with world wars, a medical revolution, liberation movements, and threat of a nuclear holocaust, and cultural analysts recognized that people were highly anxious. We were living in an age of transformation that was marked by anxiety. Of the great thinkers who would illuminate the meaning of this anxiety, the late theologian Paul Tillich gave me the most insight into anxiety in his book The Courage to Be. He taught that existential anxiety is natural to human life and is experienced in three ways:

There is anxiety of guilt and condemnation. No matter how we affirm ourselves, we will still wonder if we’ve truly been good enough, and worry about punishment in this life or an afterlife.

There is anxiety of death and finitude. No matter how unafraid of death we imagine ourselves to be, we will still be troubled about the end of things.

There is anxiety of emptiness and meaninglessness. No matter how good we feel vocationally, at times we feel empty inside and wonder if life truly has meaning and purpose.

Additionally, I think there is one more fundamental anxiety:

There is anxiety of helplessness and powerlessness. I believe this is the initial anxiety of the child, and it feeds a lifelong quest for power, whether that is power over others, the power of wisdom, or the power of transcendent spirituality. And like the other existential anxieties, we cannot rid ourselves of it, no matter what kind of power we think we possess.

Tillich suggested that there is no way around existential anxiety. We either go through it, or we create pseudo-solutions to anxiety’s sting: domination of others via dictatorial leadership and forms of rape; perfectionism and obsessive-compulsiveness; addictions to selfish pleasure like eating, drinking, drugging, or sex; rigid beliefs (fundamentalism) that deny doubt and anxiety’s questions.

These pseudo-solutions are meant to rid us of anxiety, but, instead, they make anxiety chronic, partly by replacing anxiety with fears.

As a pastoral psychotherapist, I have an instinct to look at the micro expressions of fighting and power struggles. I see this phenomenon most often in couple counseling, manifested in the loss of composure. Conflicts in marriages usually happen when one or both partners choose to respond out of their own anxiety rather than confidence and composure. Anger pushing anger normally means both get paralyzed, and they raise the volume to try to overwhelm the other and “win” the argument. As counselor and teacher Hal Runkel says, they don’t hold onto themselves. Instead of leading with peaceful strength, they anxiously jump into a power struggle that is rife with insecurity. This whole scenario is built on anxiety, and when it calcifies into a predictable and uncontrollable pattern of behavior, it creates a high level of insecurity, almost guaranteeing it will be repeated.

This Age of Insecurity - Friends Journal

This is another one of my favorite haunts.

Certainly people are being directed towards what to think all the time, and it's sad that it's in a way that doesn't make things better.

Certainly people are being directed towards what to think all the time, and it's sad that it's in a way that doesn't make things better.

No shit. Democrats are like the Borg. Hive mind. They cannot fathom anything outside, regardless of evidence.

No shit. Democrats are like the Borg. Hive mind. They cannot fathom anything outside, regardless of evidence.

What on earth are you going on about? Seriously, the world isn't a team game, and it's not black and white either.

It's unfortunate that our society seems bent on keeping people in this constant state for ulterior motives.

What on earth are you going on about? Seriously, the world isn't a team game, and it's not black and white either.

Why don't you tell us all what the world is?

Anxiety is part of the human condition. I sure don't think the problem is language. Using words like "fight" does not make us more aggressive nor more inclined to give up against a challenge. Talking about leadership with words like "power" is not making us weaker in following or stronger in being that leader. Unless, of course, we choose to cling to the excuse of the power of words and our powerlessness over their effect on us.

Maybe the real problem is the people who avoid anxiety rather than deal with it. Being a grown up with grown up responsibilities is fraught with anxiety and other unpleasant feelings. Maybe the biggest insecurity is indeed brought about by those pseudo solutions- for they are just escapes.

Ultimately, people need to stop whining about how hard life is and do what they need to do. I read a book once with a rather corny but sensible title, it was called something like, Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway.

People today should congratulate themselves, that they don't live in another part of history--governed even more, as they were, by ignorance, bigotry, superstition and sadism.

And yet, those who worry most seem to long for such times. And as such, they are what we must truly worry about.

Anxiety is part of the human condition. I sure don't think the problem is language. Using words like "fight" does not make us more aggressive nor more inclined to give up against a challenge. Talking about leadership with words like "power" is not making us weaker in following or stronger in being that leader. Unless, of course, we choose to cling to the excuse of the power of words and our powerlessness over their effect on us.

Maybe the real problem is the people who avoid anxiety rather than deal with it. Being a grown up with grown up responsibilities is fraught with anxiety and other unpleasant feelings. Maybe the biggest insecurity is indeed brought about by those pseudo solutions- for they are just escapes.

Ultimately, people need to stop whining about how hard life is and do what they need to do. I read a book once with a rather corny but sensible title, it was called something like, Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway.

Anxiety is a part of the human condition.

And then there is Charles Cooley's Looking-Glass Self.
That's how advertisement works.

Then there is propaganda.

And rhetoric.

I think that a lot of issues in our society could be addressed and resolved if people were more cognizant of how this filters down. The everyday people. The ones doing this are absolutely aware.

That's not to say that I think there are instances where there is a need to feel the fear and do it anyway. It's called the road less traveled.

And rhetoric.

I think that a lot of issues in our society could be addressed and resolved if people were more cognizant of how this filters down. The everyday people. The ones doing this are absolutely aware.

That's not to say that I think there are instances where there is a need to feel the fear and do it anyway. It's called the road less traveled.
Maybe I have more respect for the ability of the everyday people to discern what is being filtered down than you do. MeanwhiIe, it's easier to dismiss someone with a different take by calling it rhetoric or propaganda then to consider what they (with full awareness) are saying.

And rhetoric.

Maybe I have more respect for the ability of the everyday people to discern what is being filtered down than you do. MeanwhiIe, it's easier to dismiss someone with a different take by calling it rhetoric or propaganda then to consider what they (with full awareness) are saying.

I'm thinking that girls and boys are becoming depressed at an earlier age due to the barrage of messages they receive from advertising. There is no money to be made off happy and secure.

There are certainly events that occur beyond people's control that impact them. I have met many people that grew up during the early part of the cold war and were facing this feeling of dread. Duck and cover.

I think many of our grandparents or parents that grew up in the Depression still carried that with them until the day they died. It showed in odd ways. Some of them made today's hoarders look like amateurs. They collected plastic bags, lids to cups, sporks, napkins, rubber bands... just odd things that you might not think you need but they either could not get their hands on it or had figured out how to use it for another purpose.

I'm not talking about dismissing someone's point of view as propaganda or rhetoric because you don't like it. I certainly am not looking for pc.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Forum List

Back