This is what bad economy is like!

justme335

Rookie
Aug 13, 2012
I keep reading articles, forum posts, blog entries about people complaining about the economy of the United States and how bad the situation is, well let me introduce you to "What a bad economy means?"

In the Wall Street Journal, The Unintended Consequences of Cyprus, Matina Stevis wrote:

For the first time since the start of the crisis, a country is being subjected to the bloc's familiar recipe of budget austerity, together with a new dogma of bank "bail-ins,"

Cyprus has been in financial lockdown for the last three months. For the first time in the 12-year history of the common European currency, capital controls have been imposed to keep cash from fleeing.

Basically anyone who has deposited their money in the Biggest Banks of Cyprus, can no longer withdraw their money (sounds great? your money is no longer yours)

The conditions for the rescue included the closure of the country's second-largest lender, Cyprus Popular; depositors with more than €100,000 at the bank stand to lose all their money.

Even better, if you have more than €100,000 of uninsured money at the bank, you will only be getting part of your money back.

In about.com, The Cyprus Financial Crisis, Quote...

For a while, Cyprus was riding out the crisis quite well- it suffered less severe adverse effects than the rest of the eurozone up until 2012 and grew faster than surrounding countries during that time. Unfortunately, Cyprus shares not only strong cultural ties to Greece but strong financial ties as well. Specifically, Cyprus is a large holder of Greek government and corporate bonds, so the sharp decline in the value of those assets had a particularly severe negative impact on Cypriot banks.

So basically the Banks of Cyprus failed because they had previously bought Greek government and corporate bonds. i.e. Greece didn't drown alone.. it is dragging many countries with it, starting with Cyprus.

Now the GDP of Cyprus is expected to shrink by 10% in 2013 and will continue shrinking probably until the situation in South Europe improves, People are loosing their jobs and unemployment has risen in to more than 15 % compared to around 10% in the last year.

So gentlemen, Yes, bad economy means, you will loose your savings and loose your job. United States is just doing fine.

Last edited:
United States is just doing fine.

Far from it, United States is heading down the toilet.......

I keep reading articles, forum posts, blog entries about people complaining about the economy of the United States and how bad the situation is, well let me introduce you to "What a bad economy means?"

In the Wall Street Journal, The Unintended Consequences of Cyprus, Matina Stevis wrote:

For the first time since the start of the crisis, a country is being subjected to the bloc's familiar recipe of budget austerity, together with a new dogma of bank "bail-ins,"

Cyprus has been in financial lockdown for the last three months. For the first time in the 12-year history of the common European currency, capital controls have been imposed to keep cash from fleeing.

Basically anyone who has deposited their money in the Biggest Banks of Cyprus, can no longer withdraw their money (sounds great? your money is no longer yours)

The conditions for the rescue included the closure of the country's second-largest lender, Cyprus Popular; depositors with more than €100,000 at the bank stand to lose all their money.

Even better, if you have more than €100,000 of uninsured money at the bank, you will only be getting part of your money back.

For a while, Cyprus was riding out the crisis quite well- it suffered less severe adverse effects than the rest of the eurozone up until 2012 and grew faster than surrounding countries during that time. Unfortunately, Cyprus shares not only strong cultural ties to Greece but strong financial ties as well. Specifically, Cyprus is a large holder of Greek government and corporate bonds, so the sharp decline in the value of those assets had a particularly severe negative impact on Cypriot banks.

So basically the Banks of Cyprus failed because they had previously bought Greek government and corporate bonds. i.e. Greece didn't drown alone.. it is dragging many countries with it, starting with Cyprus.

Now the GDP of Cyprus is expected to shrink by 10% in 2013 and will continue shrinking probably until the situation in South Europe improves, People are loosing their jobs and unemployment has risen in to more than 15 % compared to around 10% in the last year.

So gentlemen, Yes, bad economy means, you will loose your savings and loose your job. United States is just doing fine.

Yep, they were telling the Cypriots that too....right up to the end...

Wow. Your thread brought out a whole bunch of cons who are economic experts in their own mind. You may find a thread started yesterday by oldfart, discussing the cbo July 2013 economic report, very interesting. It shows what actual experts in the field see going on, and what they project. Completely different from the con tools. And my money is on the cbo.

Last edited:
The USA... is not doing fine..

Sorry.

Oh? According to the UN there are about 195 countries in the world.

Therefore I could name you 194 countries with more problems than America. :cool:

No, this isn't true. Although I hate what the right wingers represent, and I detest the modern American "conservative" movement,

I'm disgusted by Obama as well. He's the same as Bush.

Until this nation pursues a full-employment policy and drastically increases wage standards (possibly through inflating the economy), the middle class will continue to die.

The economy is great if all you wanted is a part-time job, with no benefits...if this is your ideal career - the opportunities are limitless...in fact...you can work two of them!!!
So awesome!

Where I live the stores are full of shoppers, the rest. are full of eaters, the bars are full of drinkers and there are many jobs in the want ads. There is a critical shortage of nurses, doctors, truck driver(400, 000 needed in the next 10 years), the oil industry is shorthanded, the construction trades need people, the chicken plants fly banners outside the factories for workers.
I don't think you would see this if this economy was in the toilet, but some people are never happy and always complaining.

The economy is great if all you wanted is a part-time job, with no benefits...if this is your ideal career - the opportunities are limitless...in fact...you can work two of them!!!
So awesome!

A brand new steel plant opened in NE Arkansas, full time work at 75 k per annul, work in the oil field full time for 100 k per annul, construction full time, drive a truck full time, be a nurse full time.
Evidently you must not have the skills for a full time job.

Where I live the stores are full of shoppers, the rest. are full of eaters, the bars are full of drinkers and there are many jobs in the want ads. There is a critical shortage of nurses, doctors, truck driver(400, 000 needed in the next 10 years), the oil industry is shorthanded, the construction trades need people, the chicken plants fly banners outside the factories for workers.
I don't think you would see this if this economy was in the toilet, but some people are never happy and always complaining.

Where in the fuck do YOU live? Real wages have been in decline nationwide for decades, and it is only getting worse. Only 47% of Americans 18 years of age and older have full time jobs. The average age of a McDonald's worker is now approaching 30.

This country is the utter shits for working humans.

Why? Because we are a full 6 months away from this?

Seriously dude, this is just a preview of coming attractions.

So awesome!

A brand new steel plant opened in NE Arkansas, full time work at 75 k per annul, work in the oil field full time for 100 k per annul, construction full time, drive a truck full time, be a nurse full time.

I have had a full time job since 1988 Bub...and I am quite confident I likely pay more in taxes than you earn. 67% of the new jobs created in 2013 were part-time.

Where in the fuck do YOU live? Real wages have been in decline nationwide for decades, and it is only getting worse. Only 47% of Americans 18 years of age and older have full time jobs. The average age of a McDonald's worker is now approaching 30.

I live in SW Missouri. Brick layers are making 20 dollars an hour right now and they can't find enough, unemployment in NW Ark is 4.7% even lower in North Dakota. Hell there is a lot of good paying jobs as long as you are willing to do the work, hell I wish my health was better so I could do those jobs again. I was a masonry contractor and made 60-100k a year, but I worked my ass off, that's why my pants sag so much.

So awesome!

I have had a full time job since 1988 Bub...and I am quite confident I likely pay more in taxes than you earn. 67% of the new jobs created in 2013 were part-time.

Then why are you bitching? The largest richest companies like to hire part time, that way they save on benefits. If I were them I'd do the same.

I live in SW Missouri. Brick layers are making 20 dollars an hour right now and they can't find enough, unemployment in NW Ark is 4.7% even lower in North Dakota. Hell there is a lot of good paying jobs as long as you are willing to do the work, hell I wish my health was better so I could do those jobs again. I was a masonry contractor and made 60-100k a year, but I worked my ass off, that's why my pants sag so much.

I don't see a lot of new construction using brick these days. And nobody lives in North Dakota--when they hire 10 people up there, their state unemployment rate goes down by 2%.

Bad examples, friend. Many of us invested a great deal of money, time, and effort to educate ourselves for the so-called Modern Economy. This country has betrayed all of us.

Then why are you bitching? The largest richest companies like to hire part time, that way they save on benefits. If I were them I'd do the same.

And this is exactly why American workers will need to understand that they need to use force to achieve long-term gains. They knew that a century ago.

Why am I bitching?
Because 93% of the private industry jobs since the crash have been part-time...hello???
Also I make almost 30% less than I did pre-crash. Unfortunately I am not a Wall Street firm or a large corporation that received the vast-vast lion share of the Taxpayer giveaway...nor am I recipient of the $85,000,000,000 per month Fed taxpayer giveaway...you have to be a Wall Street firm or have significant investments to get a piece of that pie.
Why am I bitching?
Because during a period where there is record underemployment, record welfare, record disability payouts and record low employment participation - Wall Street somehow managed two record years at the same time and the nations top 7% have seen a 28% increase in wealth while the remaining 93% have had a 5% decrease.
The question is - why are you NOT bitching?

So awesome!

Problem is, politicians are well paid by private industry. And no president is going to get anywhere as long as we vote in politicians who do not want to push policies that increase demand in our economy. You need 60 percent in the senate for any jobs bill to pass. While I believe, as you do, that obama is owned by big bus, it is true that he pushed a pretty good jobs bill. And it was voted down every time in the congress, as a result of a majority of republicans who voted against anything obama wanted to get through congress. And against the jobs bill, many, many times. Had it gotten through the senate, it would have faced a filibuster. It would have never gotten 60 votes. So, how would any pres get jobs bills through?? I have no answer.

Forum List

Back