This is your moment, Mr. President

There has never been an American President with the background, the capacity, the experience and the skill set to take race head on like you, President Obama. Not even close, not within a million miles.

This country needs a leader who can step forward, and with calm and compassion and legitimacy, inspire Americans on all sides of this to look in the mirror and commit to cleaning their own house. You're the obvious person to do this.

This would mean some significant political risk, no doubt about it. Part of this would mean challenging a key Democratic constituency in a way it has never been challenged before.

This isn't about ability. You have that. The question is whether you can ignore the political implications.

It would be the most important and valuable legacy you could possibly leave.

You have more faith in Obama's abilities that I have. But, here's to hope.

There has never been an American President with the background, the capacity, the experience and the skill set to take race head on like you, President Obama. Not even close, not within a million miles.

This country needs a leader who can step forward, and with calm and compassion and legitimacy, inspire Americans on all sides of this to look in the mirror and commit to cleaning their own house. You're the obvious person to do this.

This would mean some significant political risk, no doubt about it. Part of this would mean challenging a key Democratic constituency in a way it has never been challenged before.

This isn't about ability. You have that. The question is whether you can ignore the political implications.

Well, thanks, much appreciated.

I haven't read every post on this thread, but I do know that a vast majority of them have been negative, and I've been called both ends of the spectrum by both ends of the spectrum.

:rolleyes-41:

Which illustrates how badly this country needs someone to rise above this. And I do think he has the ability, if he chooses to use it.

You are dreaming.
Could be. It wouldn't be the first time.

But tell me this: Let's say he did what I suggest, he comes out and nails it. Would you feel an obligation to challenge yourself and people on your side of the spectrum to look inward, clean your own house, stop pointing fingers until there is no fault from the Right?

I'm not getting personal here. I'm just being general.

NO.

THe failure of the Left and the President, does not mean that there is an equal and opposite failure on our part on the Right.

Well, thanks, much appreciated.

I haven't read every post on this thread, but I do know that a vast majority of them have been negative, and I've been called both ends of the spectrum by both ends of the spectrum.

:rolleyes-41:

Which illustrates how badly this country needs someone to rise above this. And I do think he has the ability, if he chooses to use it.

Hopefully everyone is concerned about stuff like Minn and Baton Rouge, and racism does result in some scared cops, but imo it'd be helpful is Obama put as much effort into highlighting black on black crime, and why fatherless children aren't finishing school and taking advantage of aid for college .... and yes we should have more social support for really poor kids in college, because apparently that's really a hard social issue. I know where my kid goes to school, at least one administrator stocks her office with food, because scholarship kids sometimes have to stay on even when the cafeteria is closed ... because they really don't have anywhere else to go.

And people shouldn't waste tears on the Michael Browns of the world.

You are dreaming.

But tell me this: Let's say he did what I suggest, he comes out and nails it. Would you feel an obligation to challenge yourself and people on your side of the spectrum to look inward, clean your own house, stop pointing fingers until there is no fault from the Right?

NO.

THe failure of the Left and the President, does not mean that there is an equal and opposite failure on our part on the Right.
The problem with the right is there shouldn't be any left or right on this issue. And, that's why Newt is correct. It's unfortunate Trump isn't up to the job.

You are dreaming.

NO.

The problem with the right is there shouldn't be any left or right on this issue. And, that's why Newt is correct. It's unfortunate Trump isn't up to the job.

The partisan divide is a huge part of this issue.

The Left has been fanning the flames of racial division for decades.

Ignoring that is the BEST way of making sure that we continue down the path of ever greater racial strife.

You are dreaming.

NO.

Ignoring that is the BEST way of making sure that we continue down the path of ever greater racial strife.
Obama should resign for what he caused in Dallas. I know...I'm dreaming.

He likely will make race relations worse leading to more deaths.

I am glad no one in my family is a cop. BO has thrown all cops under the bus. He is a cheer leader for Black Lives Matter, a terrorist group. What a president!!!

So what do you propose we do, Marc? Draw up a whole new set of standards and laws that apply to people if they are black? Criminals who break laws don't get "treated fairly" by the police, they get apprehended and arrested. Criminals who are guilty of crimes they perpetrated don't get "treated fairly" by the justice system, they get convicted and sent to jail. It makes no difference what color their skin happens to be... that's what happens. (unless your name is Clinton!)

Perhaps you and your ilk should stop being so hypersensitive about your skin color? ....Look.... SOME people are racists! That's a fact of life. Nothing we can ever do will change that fact of life. We can deal with it on a case by case basis when it rears it's ugly head or we can continue to scream racism every time something happens and diminish the actual incidents of racism. There is no law we can pass or action we can take that will forever eliminate all racists from society.... that's not ever going to happen, Marc.
I rarely, if ever, interact with you, there's a reason for that.

Listen bub, if you can't see the unfair, inhumane and horrific treatment experienced by your fellow brothers and sisters then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not even going to address your asinine and ignorant talk about "treating criminals with kid gloves" claptrap.

You are a fool. Plain and simple.

Well Marc, you're never going to resolve things or make a difference if you're not willing to interact with others, especially those who disagree with you. Whatever problem it is you have with me, it's not changing the fact that you really don't have any solution here. You seem to just want to brow-beat white society for your perceptions of injustice... and maybe in some of those cases, you have a legitimate complaint... but what is the solution?

I don't think the solution is to bark racism at everything that passes in the night. I think that does more to hurt the cause of combating real racism than it does to help. We certainly can't stand for incidents like Dallas. We have to somehow get back to the message of Dr. King and search our hearts. We have to teach love and understanding and not hate an divisiveness.

What a load of rhetorical bullshit.

His words and actions are a part of the public record.

They are...so you should have no trouble proving your claim....

"To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets. We smoked cigarettes and wore leather jackets. At night, in the dorms, we discussed neocolonialism, Franz Fanon, Eurocentrism, and patriarchy. When we ground out our cigarettes in the hallway carpet or set our stereos so loud that the walls began to shake, we were resisting bourgeois society's stifling conventions. We weren't indifferent or careless or insecure. We were alienated.

But this strategy alone couldn't provide the distance I wanted, from Joyce or my past. After all, there were thousands of so-called campus radicals, most of them white and tenured and happily tolerant. No, it remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names." --

"The Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. . . . What I think we know — separate and apart from this incident — is that there is a long history in their country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately, and that’s just a fact." —

"If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, ‘We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us,’ if they don’t see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it’s gonna be harder and that’s why I think it’s so important that people focus on voting on November 2."

"It was usually an effective tactic, another one of those tricks I had learned: (White) People were satisfied so long as you were courteous and smiled and made no sudden moves. They were more than satisfied, they were relieved -- such a pleasant surprise to find a well-mannered young black man who didn't seem angry all the time."

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person..."

"I don’t believe it is possible to transcend race in this country. Race is a factor in this society. The legacy of Jim Crow and slavery has not gone away. It is not an accident that African-Americans experience high crime rates, are poor, and have less wealth. It is a direct result of our racial history."

"That's just how white folks will do you. It wasn't merely the cruelty involved; I was learning that black people could be mean and then some. It was a particular brand of arrogance, an obtuseness in otherwise sane people that brought forth our bitter laughter. It was as if whites didn't know that they were being cruel in the first place. Or at least thought you deserving of their scorn."

"It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks' greed runs a world in need, apartheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere...That's the world! On which hope sits!"

"I can no more disown (Jeremiah Wright) than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother - a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

"If I Had A Son, He Would Look Like Trayvon"

And on and on and on...

None of that supports your claim. At all.

To the sane, honest people it does.

Nope. It is a bunch of quotes taken out of context and use by you in a weak attempt to prove an unprovable claim. I thought you were big on intellectual honesty? What happened?

His words and actions are a part of the public record.

They are...so you should have no trouble proving your claim....

"To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets. We smoked cigarettes and wore leather jackets. At night, in the dorms, we discussed neocolonialism, Franz Fanon, Eurocentrism, and patriarchy. When we ground out our cigarettes in the hallway carpet or set our stereos so loud that the walls began to shake, we were resisting bourgeois society's stifling conventions. We weren't indifferent or careless or insecure. We were alienated.

But this strategy alone couldn't provide the distance I wanted, from Joyce or my past. After all, there were thousands of so-called campus radicals, most of them white and tenured and happily tolerant. No, it remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names." --

"The Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. . . . What I think we know — separate and apart from this incident — is that there is a long history in their country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately, and that’s just a fact." —

"If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, ‘We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us,’ if they don’t see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it’s gonna be harder and that’s why I think it’s so important that people focus on voting on November 2."

"It was usually an effective tactic, another one of those tricks I had learned: (White) People were satisfied so long as you were courteous and smiled and made no sudden moves. They were more than satisfied, they were relieved -- such a pleasant surprise to find a well-mannered young black man who didn't seem angry all the time."

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person..."

"I don’t believe it is possible to transcend race in this country. Race is a factor in this society. The legacy of Jim Crow and slavery has not gone away. It is not an accident that African-Americans experience high crime rates, are poor, and have less wealth. It is a direct result of our racial history."

"That's just how white folks will do you. It wasn't merely the cruelty involved; I was learning that black people could be mean and then some. It was a particular brand of arrogance, an obtuseness in otherwise sane people that brought forth our bitter laughter. It was as if whites didn't know that they were being cruel in the first place. Or at least thought you deserving of their scorn."

"It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks' greed runs a world in need, apartheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere...That's the world! On which hope sits!"

"I can no more disown (Jeremiah Wright) than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother - a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

"If I Had A Son, He Would Look Like Trayvon"

And on and on and on...

None of that supports your claim. At all.

To the sane, honest people it does.

Nope. It is a bunch of quotes taken out of context and use by you in a weak attempt to prove an unprovable claim. I thought you were big on intellectual honesty? What happened?

Agreed. Nothing the President has said or done has "fanned the flames" of racism. The racism has always been there and Obama is guilty only of being PWB. (President While Black)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Marc, you're never going to resolve things or make a difference if you're not willing to interact with others, especially those who disagree with you. Whatever problem it is you have with me, it's not changing the fact that you really don't have any solution here. You seem to just want to brow-beat white society for your perceptions of injustice... and maybe in some of those cases, you have a legitimate complaint... but what is the solution?

I don't think the solution is to bark racism at everything that passes in the night. I think that does more to hurt the cause of combating real racism than it does to help. We certainly can't stand for incidents like Dallas. We have to somehow get back to the message of Dr. King and search our hearts. We have to teach love and understanding and not hate an divisiveness.
OK, you got my attention.

I wouldn't characterize my position as always wanting to brow-beat white society.

Nor do I always see racism everywhere, however, I do see it in a lot of places.

Should I characterize you as NEVER seeing racism anywhere?

Malcolm X stood firm, he was killed.

MLK tried to let them beat him, and shame them to decency, but he was also killed.

What do we try next?

You are dreaming.

NO.

Do you feel, then, that there's nothing the Right can do to improve its behaviors regarding race and race relations?

Earlier in this thread it was said that racism is a myth (and I mean the regular white-on-black form). Would you agree with that?

OK, you got my attention.

I wouldn't characterize my position as always wanting to brow-beat white society.

Nor do I always see racism everywhere, however, I do see it in a lot of places.

Should I characterize you as NEVER seeing racism anywhere?

Malcolm X stood firm, he was killed.

MLK tried to let them beat him, and shame them to decency, but he was also killed.

What do we try next?

Well first, I think we must accept that there are always going to be ignorant people in the world who are racists and do horrible things. We're never going to not have those kind of people in society. Some of them are inevitably going to end up being police officers and will discriminate unfairly against minorities. Again, we'll never be able to prevent that entirely.

There is nothing wrong with civil disobedience and protest when it's warranted. We have to stand up against injustices but we have to choose those battles carefully. Everything that is being decried as racism isn't racism. When we are reasonable and conscientious, good people stand with us. We make more progress that way than by turning every little thing we can find into a matter of race.

Malcom X and MLK weren't killed by "white society" ...they were killed by individuals who were intolerant to the views of others... becoming LIKE them isn't the solution. What do we try next? What about LOVE?

You are dreaming.

NO.

I am glad no one in my family is a cop. BO has thrown all cops under the bus. He is a cheer leader for Black Lives Matter, a terrorist group. What a president!!!

See what I mean about the RWnuts finding someone innocent to blame whenever there's violence?

You are dreaming.

NO.

Black Lives Matter is not a terrorist group.

NO.

Black Lives Matter is not a terrorist group.
Yes they are and they are an appendage of the D party with strong ties to your beloved Big Ears, Cankles, and Crazy Bernie. Not really hard to accept when you realize the long history of racism by the D party.

But...but...but...like...like...like that Trump is a lying, racist, sexist, homophobic MOTHER F**KER!!!

Well first, I think we must accept that there are always going to be ignorant people in the world who are racists and do horrible things. We're never going to not have those kind of people in society. Some of them are inevitably going to end up being police officers and will discriminate unfairly against minorities. Again, we'll never be able to prevent that entirely.

There is nothing wrong with civil disobedience and protest when it's warranted. We have to stand up against injustices but we have to choose those battles carefully. Everything that is being decried as racism isn't racism. When we are reasonable and conscientious, good people stand with us. We make more progress that way than by turning every little thing we can find into a matter of race.

Malcom X and MLK weren't killed by "white society" ...they were killed by individuals who were intolerant to the views of others... becoming LIKE them isn't the solution. What do we try next? What about LOVE?
When we live in a society of mostly whites with lots of advantage it becomes quite burdensome to live w/the inherent biases you just pointed out.

I'm curious to know when you think civil disobedience and protest is warranted.

Considering that our government tapped the phones of both MLK and Minister Malcolm X, in order to track, co-erce, infiltrate, and otherwise stymie their movements, amongst other things,it's not so much of a stretch for one to say or believe that "white society" (which I never said) killed them (or had something to do w/killing them).

Last edited:

You are dreaming.

I tend to agree.

It's too late in Obama's game to change his arrogant and selfish attitude.

He doesn't have it in him, unfortunately he is not that kind of conciliatory leader.

The future of America doesn't worry him, never has never will.

From his mouth has only come hatred and division and that will be his only legacy.

You are dreaming.

I tend to agree.

He doesn't have it in him, unfortunately he is not that kind of conciliatory leader.

From his mouth has only come hatred and division and that will be his only legacy.
My fear is he is going to double down on his hatred and racism. If he continues to demonize cops and push gun control, he will only make matters worse.

It is almost as if he wants to tear the nation apart...could it be he wants a race war in America?

You are dreaming.

I tend to agree.

My fear is he is going to double down on his hatred and racism. If he continues to demonize cops and push gun control, he will only make matters worse.

It is almost as if he wants to tear the nation apart...could it be he wants a race war in America?

I think he does want a race war in America, but I hope and pray Americans from all race,creed and color will NOT fall for that.

Then on the other hand...... he has poisoned the well so much .....who knows what will happen.:dunno:

Forum List

Back