Thousands storm WWII at Mall; Whooooooooo hoooooooooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see a single person in these pictures who could have served in WWII. None of them are old enough. I see a small group of 40 to 60 year old white males using faux outrage to promote a losing agenda.

All three of my brothers volunteered to serve in WWII. My oldest brother was wounded on D-Day and carried shrapnel in his body from those wounds until the day he died.

I am disgusted that Palin, Cruz, et al are pretending to care about these people in order to further their agenda which hits the poor and the elderly on fixed incomes the hardest.

You will notice that they don't want to hear your logic....BTW, your brothers, rest their souls, were wonderful for serving our country in WWII.
...whereas the veterans in the Memorial this weekend are all...what? Pieces of shit?

You had your chance to praise them. You punted. Don't bother trying it now; it wouldn't be sincere.

Predictably, you will now say I'm "daving".

Notice again, how in your own link the image of a circular pattern is used.

eagleflags.gif

And there is a page here that you missed. You are outmatched. Begone from my sight, you dishonest, unnatural noise!

http://www.usflag.org/history/betsyrossflag.html

Since there was no official flag during the first year of the United States, there were a great number of homespun flag designs. This flag is without question the most well known of those. There are many reasons why this flag is confused with the first official U.S. flag and you can read about it here.

Last edited:
"...Too bad you struggle with our legislative process but that is how it works and that is how it has worked since our great Nation's inception..."
I don't struggle with our legislative process at all. I'm quite comfortable with it, and quite comfortable with your observation that this is the way things are meant to work.

"...The fact remains that ObamaCare became law through our legislative process. Republicans, who once championed the individual mandate, now are against it simply because it was passed by Obama and they are dedicated to block anything and everything he does..."

ObamaCare did, indeed, become law through our legislative process. Nolo contendre.

Republicans are not against ObamaCare because it was passed by Obama.

Republicans are against ObamaCare because it is an abortion and a gross mistake that needs to be reversed before it can do more harm than it already has.

Yes. I, too, am pissed at the Republicans for having waited so long, but this appears to be their best shot at reversing The Mistake.

"...They failed to repeal ObamaCare in their more than 40 attempts through the legislative process..."

They had a majority in the House but would never have gotten it past the Senate or the White House, so, all such attempts were predestined to fail anyway.

This is their one-and-only genuine shot at killing ObamaCare.

"...So now they are attempting to threaten the nation's economy unless Obama and fellow Democrats bow down to their demands, all in yet another effort to prevent ObamaCare from being implemented."

Now they are exercising their Constitutionally-vested Power of the Purse - an extraordinary measure - to reverse a nightmare of an imposition upon the American People...

An imposition and mistake that cannot be reversed through other means...

It is their last legitimate card to play - one that rarely sees the light of day - and they DO appear to be bound and determined to play that card.
Nonsense. Conservatives were the ones who originally dreamed up this plan way back in the 80's. Then Republicans adopted it as a counter-proposal to HillaryCare in the 90's. Then a Republican governor made it the law of the land in his state in the 00's. Enter Obama who wanted a single payer system but couldn't get that. He ultimately signed into law a plan that was mostly what the Republicans/Conservatives championed for the last 25 years. They liked it then but they're vehemently against it now. What changed? Obama passed it.

And if it's such a nightmare, then why did the Heritage Foundation support it before Obama passed it? If it's such a nightmare, then why did Mitt Romney pass it in Massachusetts? A state, by the way, which has not collapsed under the weight of RomneyCare as dumbassed Conservatives claim will now occur with ObamaCare.

And no, the card they are playing is not a legitimate one. The power of the budget is bestowed upon the entire Congress, not just the House. The budgetary power bestowed upon the House is they are the body to initiate the budget. The GOP-led House knows this which is why they are not simply eliminating funding for ObamaCare but are threatening the shutdown of our government and soon to limit borrowing unless the Senate (and then president) give in to their demands, which they couldn't get through the legislative process.

If you think bringing the country to its knees unless one body in the government gets their way is a legitimate way for our government to run, then you are in no position to complain when the shit hits the fan -- like when national parks get closed.

"...Too bad you struggle with our legislative process but that is how it works and that is how it has worked since our great Nation's inception..."
I don't struggle with our legislative process at all. I'm quite comfortable with it, and quite comfortable with your observation that this is the way things are meant to work.

ObamaCare did, indeed, become law through our legislative process. Nolo contendre.

Republicans are not against ObamaCare because it was passed by Obama.

Republicans are against ObamaCare because it is an abortion and a gross mistake that needs to be reversed before it can do more harm than it already has.

Yes. I, too, am pissed at the Republicans for having waited so long, but this appears to be their best shot at reversing The Mistake.

They had a majority in the House but would never have gotten it past the Senate or the White House, so, all such attempts were predestined to fail anyway.

This is their one-and-only genuine shot at killing ObamaCare.

"...So now they are attempting to threaten the nation's economy unless Obama and fellow Democrats bow down to their demands, all in yet another effort to prevent ObamaCare from being implemented."

Now they are exercising their Constitutionally-vested Power of the Purse - an extraordinary measure - to reverse a nightmare of an imposition upon the American People...

An imposition and mistake that cannot be reversed through other means...

It is their last legitimate card to play - one that rarely sees the light of day - and they DO appear to be bound and determined to play that card.
Nonsense. Conservatives were the ones who originally dreamed up this plan way back in the 80's. Then Republicans adopted it as a counter-proposal to HillaryCare in the 90's. Then a Republican governor made it the law of the land in his state in the 00's. Enter Obama who wanted a single payer system but couldn't get that. He ultimately signed into law a plan that was mostly what the Republicans/Conservatives championed for the last 25 years. They liked it then but they're vehemently against it now. What changed? Obama passed it.

And if it's such a nightmare, then why did the Heritage Foundation support it before Obama passed it? If it's such a nightmare, then why did Mitt Romney pass it in Massachusetts? A state, by the way, which has not collapsed under the weight of RomneyCare as dumbassed Conservatives claim will now occur with ObamaCare.

And no, the card they are playing is not a legitimate one. The power of the budget is bestowed upon the entire Congress, not just the House. The budgetary power bestowed upon the House is they are the body to initiate the budget. The GOP-led House knows this which is why they are not simply eliminating funding for ObamaCare but are threatening the shutdown of our government and soon to limit borrowing unless the Senate (and then president) give in to their demands, which they couldn't get through the legislative process.

If you think bringing the country to its knees unless one body in the government gets their way is a legitimate way for our government to run, then you are in no position to complain when the shit hits the fan -- like when national parks get closed.

start a new thread please
this one is for the march

More insanity emerging from the rabid-right ...

One speaker went as far as saying the president was a Muslim and separately urged the crowd of hundreds to initiate a peaceful uprising.

"I call upon all of you to wage a second American nonviolent revolution, to use civil disobedience, and to demand that this president leave town, to get up, to put the Quran down, to get up off his knees, and to figuratively come out with his hands up," said Larry Klayman of Freedom Watch, a conservative political advocacy group.

Rallier tells Obama to ?put the Quran down? ? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Well, that's just loony.

"...Do me a favor and don't waste my time with Wikipedia; a site where any putz can contribute..."

1. I, too, am aware of the weakness of Wiki, but, so long as one keeps that in mind...

2. I'm not saying that Betsy Ross was the creator.

3. The Wiki article merely states that it is CALLED the Betsy Ross flag - rightly or wrongly.

4. The REAL question is whether the 13-start circle-design pre-dated the 1777 Resolution, in any kind of official, multi-colony/multi-state context.

5. The answer to THAT question seems to be 'YES" - it was the designed adopted by the Continental Army in its first year of existence.

Which still leaves us with the conundrum...

We appear to have had a First Flag IN PRACTICE - as standardized by the Army.

We appear to have had a First Specification AT LAW - as adopted in 1777 by Congress.

And, of course, the 13 stars-in-a-circle design - already flying at the head of each regiment of Continental Regulars and over each Army Post and Fort - appears to have met that specification adopted by Congress in 1777...

So...

To my way of thinking, anyway...

Both perspectives (13 stars in a circle, or 13 stars otherwise arranged) seem to have some merit, in claiming First Flag status...

But that's just me... your mileage may vary.
The answer to that question is not, "yes." There is nothing beyond a couple of paintings and folklore to support that pattern. It may very well have been what was used, but no one knows with any certainty. It's just accepted as such because that is what is believed.

And again, that is not the point. The point is that at no time was that the American flag of the United States. In the first year following our declaration of independence, until the Continental Congress declared the first official flag of the U.S., there were apparently many flags being raised containing a variety of patterns. But none of them officially represented the United States, including the one Betsy Ross is attributed to have created.

Desk job?

Ahh sarah showing her true colors, no bitch, I was in the Navy 22yrs 80% of the time on warships. You? prolly not.

Just asking. You seem so weak minded, you know, kind of slow. Pardon me if I don't believe your story.

Now, run along and try to discuss issues at some point.

Dont need you to believe my story bitch, I have my honorable discharge on my wall and a retirement paycheck every month to prove it to the bank. :lol:

Uh yeah, they did. Look closely. That is the flag the rebels used as early as 1777. More commonly known as "The Ring of Stars" or the "Betsy Ross Flag." One of the earliest variants of the American flag ever used. Research your history.

:D:D:D

You're such a fucking retard, it's actually funny. No, that was never a flag of the United States. Here is the very first flag of the United States of America:

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - The First United States Flag

13star.gif

The flag you're talking about may not have even existed. Like your knowledge of American history -- it's folklore.

Betsy Ross flag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

US_flag_13_stars_%E2%80%93_Betsy_Ross.svg

Come again?

You dumbass.
Come again? Sure ... you're a dumb fucking retard. Again, wikipedia is not an authoritative site by any stretch of the imagination.

The first flag of the United States was adopted by the Continental Congress in 1777. Before then, there was no official flag representing the United States. Read AND learn ...

The Truth About Betsy Ross

Ross is so beloved and so deeply embedded in the nation’s memory that somehow it seems unpatriotic, if not vaguely treasonous, to cast doubt on her story. The truth, however, is that nobody can prove that Betsy Ross had anything to do with the first official Stars and Stripes.

[...]

Opinions may differ on Ross’s contribution to the creation of the national colors. Yet all parties agree that American revolutionaries were using a variety of flags during the early 1770s to express their distaste for British rule. Some colonists made one that featured a British Union Jack sitting in the upper-left corner of a red field with the words “Liberty and Union” emblazoned in white along the field’s lower half. The tea-tossing Sons of Liberty flew a simple standard with alternating red and white stripes. Another popular ensign sported a coiled rattlesnake on a yellow or red-and-white striped background with the words “Don’t tread on me.” Immediately before the Declaration of Independence, probably the most used unofficial flag of revolution was the Continental Colors. This ensign had a Union Jack in the upper-left corner and alternating red and white stripes. Although unofficial, this banner saw service with American forces. It also had the distinction of being the first American flag saluted by a foreign power.

The Continental Colors, however, had a practical and a symbolic flaw. Because it contained the Union Jack, the flag could create confusion in a battle. When American soldiers raised it outside Boston, British troops thought the conflict was almost over. “By this time, I presume, they begin to think it strange that we have not made a formal surrender of our lines,” George Washington wrote. In addition, this flag did not represent reality. It implied a continuing tie to Great Britain just as a complete break was pending.

Congress recognized that the new nation needed a flag. On June 14, 1777, it passed the country’s first flag law. As legislation goes, it was refreshingly brief: “Resolved. That the flag of the United States be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new constellation.” From a twenty-first-century perspective, the Continental Congress’s lack of guidance on the flag’s appearance seems extraordinary. The law said nothing about the flag’s size, shape, or ordering of stripes or the size, type, or arrangement of stars. The legislation implicitly gave flag makers latitude for the creation. So the fledgling United States probably could have used somebody like Betsy Ross to get things organized. The first hint that she did, however, did not surface nationally until almost a century after America declared independence from England. In 1870, her grandson, William Canby, told her story publicly for the first time, delivering a paper titled “The History of the Flag of the United States” to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. According to Canby, Ross’s involvement with the flag began in 1776, a year before Congress passed its first flag resolution.​

Rock on!

Cruz, Lee and Palin were part of the crowd. Check this out.

WASHINGTON - Thousands of people converged on the World War II Memorial on the National Mall on Sunday morning and tore down the barricades blocking it off, protesting the closure of the memorial during the federal government shutdown.

Beginning at about 9:30 a.m., Sens. Mike Lee, R-Utah, and Ted Cruz, R-Texas, as well as former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, were among the luminaries in a crowd that chanted "Tear down these walls!" and sang "God Bless America" as well as other patriotic songs as they entered the memorial, which has been closed since the government shutdown that began Oct. 1.

Tractor-trailers headed down 17th Street toward the Mall, blaring their horns. The Metropolitan Police Department blocked off the street, prompting the crowd to head up the street, shouting at the police to move their vehicles.
Cruz Lee and Palin get a room :eusa_whistle:

The Coup de grâce:

220px-US-DeptOfVeteransAffairs-Seal-Large.png

Note the flag on the left.

From my link:

The flag is, nevertheless, one of the oldest versions of U.S. flags known to exist; while it is not the oldest surviving flag artifact in cloth form, its likeness appears on older physical relics, namely, the contemporary battlefield paintings by John Trumbull and Charles Willson Peale. They depict the circular star arrangement being flown from ship masts and many other places, and thus provide the first known historical documentation of the flag's appearance.
Oh, wait ... ALSO from your link ...

"You can edit this page. Please review your changes before saving. [alt-shift-e]"

G'head, edit that page to say whatever you want.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Teabaggers cheered and gloated over shutting down the American government, then wrapped themselves in the flag for a photo-op with veterans. A fiction writer would edit out that scene - he wouldn't think it believable. :cuckoo:

Notice again, how in your own link the image of a circular pattern is used.

eagleflags.gif

And there is a page here that you missed. You are outmatched. Begone from my sight, you dishonest, unnatural noise!

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - The Betsy Ross Flag

Since there was no official flag during the first year of the United States, there were a great number of homespun flag designs. This flag is without question the most well known of those. There are many reasons why this flag is confused with the first official U.S. flag and you can read about it here.
Yes, from that page ...

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
The Daily Caller said "hundreds of people" not thousands. The pictures posted show a very small group and what struck me immediately is that the crowd is uniformly white and mostly male and not well dressed.

IOW, a small group of low income white males - the die hard Republican voters and TP supporters. Furthermore, none of them looked old enough to have served in WWII. Anyone who served in WWII would be close to 90 years old.

My brother lied about his age to join the army in 1944 at the age of 16 and he would be 88 today if he were still living.

All this does is underline how little support the TP has for their agenda.

Well I am amazed a Canadian snob! So only well dressed, high income people should be allowed to honour those who served in WWII! And only if they can prove that they do not "support the tea party agenda"!

You are a disgraceful DragonLady. Those gallant Canadians who stood with us Brits from September 1939 deserve better than you.

(Of course it's possible that though you live in Toronto you are not Canadian and that the army your brother joined in 1944 was the Wehrmacht. I rather hope that is the case.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back