Three 20-year-old programmers build a working Obamacare website in just days

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Three 20-year-old programmers build a working Obamacare website in just days (which is more than the government can do)

While the Obamacare website still remains broken, three 20-year-old programmers have shown the government how it should be done.

Ning Liang, George Kalogeropoulos and Michael Wasser developed a site in matter of days - and it does things the expensive and faltering healthcare.gov can't do.

From a San Francisco office the men have built HealthSherpa.com, which presents the Affordable Health Care Act data in a much simpler way to the government website.

'They got it completely backwards in terms of what people want up front,' Liang told CBS News. The programmer continued: 'They want prices and benefits, so that they could make the decision.'

HealthSherpa.com, which is just two weeks old, allows a user to simply input their zip code and view all the health plans available to them.

Health Sherpa doesn't try to do the more complex operations that the government site will offer - such as actually applying for insurance coverage. But if they had a couple of more days, they could probably save the entire website and it would be up and running.

Problem is, they aren't a friend of the family or high dollar bundlers. Obama will never use their technology. The death spiral continues.

Read more: Three 20-year-old programmers build a working Obamacare website in just days (which is more than the government can do) | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

That pretend web site does not interface with the Social Security Administration or Medicare or any other government agency, which is a prerequisite for Healthcare.gov to work.

Simply put, the pretend web site does not function in any way like the real one needs to.

That pretend web site does not interface with the Social Security Administration or Medicare or any other government agency, which is a prerequisite for Healthcare.gov to work.

Simply put, the pretend web site does not function in any way like the real one needs to.

Could it possibly function any worse?

And for Six Hundred Million Dollars less? :dunno:

Can you tell me where that information came from?

ETA: Yes, I see what you are saying and it seems to make sense. But once they were able to get this far, doesn't it seem plugging into the Social Security and Medicare data bases would appear to be child's play? (That's a tech term!:))

Last edited:

Three coders make a splash with healthcare.gov alternative | Voices

As handy as their website is, there are some very specific caveats and rules that accompany conversation about HealthSherpa.

This is not some grand example against government waste or supporting free market ideology. Their website is powered by publicly-accessible data, and the HealthSherpa team is nothing if not forthcoming about this.

“We’re using the government’s data, so our site is only possible because of the hard work that the Healthcare.gov team has done,” Kalogeropoulos acknowledged in a CNN interview.

Nor does their website interface with government agencies like the Social Security Administration, the IRS or individual state agencies.

There’s also the question of scalability, being able to meet the demands of people clicking through to your site. In the CNN interview, Kalogeropoulos said “tens of thousands” of people have clicked through specific plans on their website. Meanwhile, Healthcare.gov struggled to deal with 26 million unique visitors in its first month.

Quite literally no comparison between the two.

As handy as their website is, there are some very specific caveats and rules that accompany conversation about HealthSherpa.

This is not some grand example against government waste or supporting free market ideology. Their website is powered by publicly-accessible data, and the HealthSherpa team is nothing if not forthcoming about this.

“We’re using the government’s data, so our site is only possible because of the hard work that the Healthcare.gov team has done,” Kalogeropoulos acknowledged in a CNN interview.

Nor does their website interface with government agencies like the Social Security Administration, the IRS or individual state agencies.

There’s also the question of scalability, being able to meet the demands of people clicking through to your site. In the CNN interview, Kalogeropoulos said “tens of thousands” of people have clicked through specific plans on their website. Meanwhile, Healthcare.gov struggled to deal with 26 million unique visitors in its first month.

I have been schooled, g5000. Thank you.

I have been schooled, g5000. Thank you.

I haven't.

What went wrong?

What happened? After 600 Million Dollars and more time than it took us to defeat the most efficient War Machine in the History of Man (the Wehrmacht)....

Why couldn't they get it right?

"It is very difficult, you say"? Well, then why didn't you take Republican advice and delay it for a year?

There's just no excuse for this. None. Over 3-1/2 years, over 600 Million Dollars, no testing, no warning, Millions of people losing their insurance, and the website is still floundering.

The only excuse for this is that dimocraps are stupid beyond fucking belief.

But I always knew that.

dimocraps should never hold power in this Country. Ever again. Ever.

Not only are they stupid, they're the most dishonest group of people in galactic history. Pathological liars to the last

I completely agree ObamaCare's rollout has been an unmitigated disaster. But it is a mistake to think the Healthcare.gov web site could've would've should've been built in just three days.

I also think it would be a grave tactical error for the opponents of ObamaCare, such as myself, to kid ourselves this rollout mess spells the end of ObamaCare. There is a long twelve months between now and the mid terms, and a lot can change in ObamaCare's favor between now and then. As more and more people get health insurance who never had it before, the more the momentum will shift in its favor.

Last edited:
Actually, one could make the assertion--based upon the OP--that the government could do such things more efficiently by hiring the software professionals themselves, instead of contracting it out to bidders. Private contractors often hose things up so that they can apply subsequent "fixes" for additonal payments.

I completely agree ObamaCare's rollout has been an unmitigated disaster. But it is a mistake to think the Healthcare.gov web site could've would've should've been built in just three days.

I also think it would be a grave tactical error for the opponents of ObamaCare, such as myself, to kid ourselves this rollout mess spells the end of ObamaCare. There is a long twelve months between now and the mid terms, and a lot can change in ObamaCare's favor between now and then. As more and more people get health insurance who never had it before, the more the momentum will shift in its favor.

Those people getting Insurance that never had it before?

99% of them are obama voters anyway. Okay, maybe only 98%.

The people who are going to get FUCKED by obamacare?

Across the board, baby. Every race, every occupation (Professional Welfare recipient is not an occupation), every age (especially the young) both sexes (even those of indeterminate sexual orientation) and every political affiliation.

This thing is a disaster that will only worsen with age.

Very seldom does a bad law improve with the passage of time. Very seldom.

In fact..... Never.

You always thought I was being insulting but I'm telling you like it is -- Your side just isn't very bright.

The only thing you're good at is lying. When the pedal hits the metal, when it's time to put up or shut up, your side fails every time.

Always have, always will.

Believe me when I tell you this..... dimocraps everywhere are looking much harder at a way to lie their way out of this than they are looking for a way to fix it.

Forum List

Back