To much government control.Man Gets Prison Sentence For Collecting Rainwater On His Property

oh dear God, people need to learn to read, and comprehend what they read.... he was damming water from streams that flowed through many properties and diverting the stream's water to his own lake reservoirs.

Last edited:
Sorry if it comes out of the sky and it lands on your property , it should be yours to use . How does any government think this is OK..
Man Gets Prison Sentence For Collecting Rainwater On His Property Man Gets Prison Sentence For Collecting Rainwater On His Property...

This would appear to be their issue

Yet Paul admitted the 1925 law does apply because, he said, Harrington constructed dams to block a tributary to the Big Butte, which Medford uses for its water supply.

“There are dams across channels, water channels where the water would normally flow if it were not for the dam and so those dams are stopping the water from flowing in the channel and storing it- holding it so it cannot flow downstream,” Paul told CNSNews.com.

Man Gets Prison Sentence For Collecting Rainwater On His Property...

oh dear God, people need to learn to read, and comprehend what they read.... he was damming water from streams that flowed through many properties and diverting the streams water to his own lake reservoirs.
But ,but they read it on the internet so it must be true! I just don't understand why folks don't do a little fact checking. I plugged the name and town and got the Snopes read on the "tragic story" in one shot!

Sorry if it comes out of the sky and it lands on your property , it should be yours to use . How does any government think this is OK..
Man Gets Prison Sentence For Collecting Rainwater On His Property Man Gets Prison Sentence For Collecting Rainwater On His Property...

As soon as I see a thread OP like this, I know there's more to the story. I know this because I'm an adult and I can spot a misleading or hyper-partisan propaganda headline.

The agenda - they want us to believe that government is too big and will arrest and jail people unjustly. This may be true, but they attempt to prove this with what is essentially a lie -- a fraud. No man was sent to prison for collecting rainwater.

The link is too a fringe internet source - CNS. They story is not real news as there are no facts beyond the man's side of the story.

I've seen this in other countries as well. The UN needs to declare water a human right. Jesus H what the hell.

I've seen this in other countries as well. The UN needs to declare water a human right. Jesus H what the hell.

Are you commenting before or after reading the entire article?

Before. I should have specified rain water.

It does look like he was charged with damming water sources the city uses. In this case if he did that then he deserves the jail time.

Rain water should be legal for anyone to collect. No government has jurisdiction over the rain. If they do they shouldn't.

It does look like he was charged with damming water sources the city uses. In this case if he did that then he deserves the jail time.

Rain water should be legal for anyone to collect. No government has jurisdiction over the rain. If they do they shouldn't.

Let me put forward a hypothetical.

The City of San Francisco gets almost all of it's drinking water from the Hetch Hetchey reservoir in Yosemite. It collects rain water and snowmelt, and the water is then sent through 170 miles of pipes and aqueducts to reach my shower.

What if someone owned that land, and decided that they wanted to keep all the water that fell there, and the snow that melted there?

Do those property rights counter the state's interest in bringing the water where it's needed?

Do those property rights counter the state's interest in bringing the water where it's needed?

If eminent domain means anything, no. That's everyone's drinking water. In my opinion this would be the proper use of eminent domain. You own your property, not the water going through it. It would be selfish to take the water from everyone else.

If eminent domain means anything, no. That's everyone's drinking water. In my opinion this would be the proper use of eminent domain. You own your property, not the water going through it. It would be selfish to take the water from everyone else.

That's the idea behind the laws in the OP.

That's the idea behind the laws in the OP.

So it is. He gets plenty of water through his tap. If he wants purified water, he needs to buy a Zero Water filter. If he wants to collect water, he can use empty milk jugs, yes, empty milk jugs. That's how us rednecks do it down here.

Let me put forward a hypothetical.

The City of San Francisco gets almost all of it's drinking water from the Hetch Hetchey reservoir in Yosemite. It collects rain water and snowmelt, and the water is then sent through 170 miles of pipes and aqueducts to reach my shower.

What if someone owned that land, and decided that they wanted to keep all the water that fell there, and the snow that melted there?

If catching rain water goes beyond a significant amount that reduces a needed reservoir that would need to be overseen and regulated. I don't see this happening any time toon. They could put limits on the amount of water storage.

This is such a tiny non-issue it isn't worth too much time.

Forum List

Back