🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Tonight I will be obliterating recoverability of data on my hard drive

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2013
Tonight, while asleep, any and all lingering data will be obliterated from my hard drive. This means that any deleted files that are recoverable, will be completely unrecoverable. I'll be using the same type of 7 pass method that is generally employed by the DoD. Typically, I do this about once a week. What this basically means is that all of the "empty" space on my hard drive will be overwritten 7 times with a random series of 1s and 0s.

Now, why would I make a point to do this? Well, you see....when you "delete" a file, that doesn't actually remove it from your hard drive. The file stays on your hard drive until it's over written. "Deleting" means that the organizational system within your computer releases the protected hold for that space on the drive (thus it becomes treated as empty space, even though it technically has data written to it). The space can be used again, theoretically at any time. Though in practice, you aren't really going to have much of any way to control it. In any event, this might seem adequate enough for most people. But there's a danger here. Those hidden "deleted" files can still be recovered. And if you get some nasty malware of some time, it could still scour those files for potentially harmful purposes. Hackers can get ahold of personal information, etc. Therefore, I employ a regular habit of secure erasure, a.k.a file shredding, and a regular sanitizing of the empty space on my hard drive.

So what does this have to do with politics? Well, everyone seems to think all kinds of magical voodoo malicious intentions when it comes to sanitizing hard drives. It's actually very easy to do. All you need is any one of several freely available software. Furthermore, it's actually something that everyone should be doing for basic security purposes. You should start making a habit out of it too. That most people don't employ such basic habits speaks more to generalized ignorance and foolishness than it does to Hillary Clinton's malice. Sanitizing her server was the appropriate thing to do. Using the private email server in the first place may be an entire different matter. But if she hadn't sanitized it, then that would have been a massive risk to National Security.

• Banned
And really, getting your hands on the kind of magnets that would be required to do the job is just not realistic.

BTW her server should have been turned over to the Federal Govt..........oh never mind...,,,.....so tired of the excuses for everything....and people wonder why their govt tramples them

• Banned
BTW her server should have been turned over to the Federal Govt..........oh never mind...,,,.....so tired of the excuses for everything....and people wonder why their govt tramples them

Nothing demanded that it be turned over to the federal government. Maybe that's what you want to have happened. She turned over tens of thousands of emails, which is what the requirement was. She then took action to securely destroy any data that may have remained on her hardware.

I heard good magnets work better

I don't want to erase the entire hard drive. Just sanitize the empty space.
Tonight, while asleep, any and all lingering data will be obliterated from my hard drive. This means that any deleted files that are recoverable, will be completely unrecoverable. I'll be using the same type of 7 pass method that is generally employed by the DoD. Typically, I do this about once a week. What this basically means is that all of the "empty" space on my hard drive will be overwritten 7 times with a random series of 1s and 0s.

Now, why would I make a point to do this? Well, you see....when you "delete" a file, that doesn't actually remove it from your hard drive. The file stays on your hard drive until it's over written. "Deleting" means that the organizational system within your computer releases the protected hold for that space on the drive (thus it becomes treated as empty space, even though it technically has data written to it). The space can be used again, theoretically at any time. Though in practice, you aren't really going to have much of any way to control it. In any event, this might seem adequate enough for most people. But there's a danger here. Those hidden "deleted" files can still be recovered. And if you get some nasty malware of some time, it could still scour those files for potentially harmful purposes. Hackers can get ahold of personal information, etc. Therefore, I employ a regular habit of secure erasure, a.k.a file shredding, and a regular sanitizing of the empty space on my hard drive.

So what does this have to do with politics? Well, everyone seems to think all kinds of magical voodoo malicious intentions when it comes to sanitizing hard drives. It's actually very easy to do. All you need is any one of several freely available software. Furthermore, it's actually something that everyone should be doing for basic security purposes. You should start making a habit out of it too. That most people don't employ such basic habits speaks more to generalized ignorance and foolishness than it does to Hillary Clinton's malice. Sanitizing her server was the appropriate thing to do. Using the private email server in the first place may be an entire different matter. But if she hadn't sanitized it, then that would have been a massive risk to National Security.

You're kidding right? It was subpoenaed evidence at the time her attorneys were trying to sanitize the extracted "evidence". 30,000 supposedly deleted emails have been recovered. And THOSE are not all personal. There is NO national security risk to a server that is UNCONNECTED to a network and sitting in an evidence locker. And a Security Rated EVIDENCE LOCKER is where it belonged. Not at some IT service company or in a room with dozens of lawyers without the proper clearances.

That's why the FBI came in and SCOOPED all of it up..

Nothing demanded that it be turned over to the federal government. Maybe that's what you want to have happened. She turned over tens of thousands of emails, which is what the requirement was. She then took action to securely destroy any data that may have remained on her hardware.

You're wrong. . It was subpoenaed BEFORE all the mucking and cleaning was finished.

Is this just one of dem' fancy pants....old "defragmenters"? did you go full bleach bitch like Beast?

All you can do is make the data harder to recover. A hammer is required to obliterate recoverability of data.

You're kidding right? It was subpoenaed evidence at the time her attorneys were trying to sanitize the extracted "evidence".

:link:

Shouldn't encourage your ignorance. You should really know this BEFORE you start threads with false assertions.
Don't give me shit about the sourcing. You can find this and more in the NY Times.

The "Oh Shit" Moment: Hillary Wiped Her Server With BleachBit Despite Subpoena | Zero Hedge
  • March 4, 2015Hillary receives subpoena from House Select Committee on Benghaziinstructing her to preserve and deliver all emails from her personal servers
  • March 25, 2015 – Undisclosed PRN Staff Member has a conference call with “President Clinton’s Staff”
  • March 25 – 31, 2015 – Undisclosed PRN Staff Member has “oh shit” moment and realizes he forgot to wipe Hillary’s email archive from the PRN server back in Decemberwhich he promptly does using BleachBit despite later admitting he "was aware of the existence of the preservation request and the fact that it meant he should not disturb Clinton's e-mail data on the PRN server."
  • June 2016 – FBI discovers that Undisclosed PRN Staff Member forgot to erase 940 emails from the gmail account he created to help with the PRN server upload

All you can do is make the data harder to recover. A hammer is required to obliterate recoverability of data.

Not really. A single pass overwrite will generally do the trick to prevent recovery from any known means. At least, so long as we're talking about an HDD. Solid state drives are a trickier matter.

Not really. A single pass overwrite will generally do the trick to prevent recovery from any known means. At least, so long as we're talking about an HDD. Solid state drives are a trickier matter.
Complete bullshit, it will just make it harder to recover the data.

Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory

With the use of increasingly sophisticated encryption systems, an attacker wishing to gain access to sensitive data is forced to look elsewhere for information. One avenue of attack is the recovery of supposedly erased data from magnetic media or random-access memory. This paper covers some of the methods available to recover erased data and presents schemes to make this recovery significantly more difficult.

Last edited:
The OP seems to know all about it. Even so, a hammer will do it. Don't think I've ever read of data being recovered from a smashed drive.

Last edited:
Complete bullshit, it will just make it harder to recover the data.

Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory

With the use of increasingly sophisticated encryption systems, an attacker wishing to gain access to sensitive data is forced to look elsewhere for information. One avenue of attack is the recovery of supposedly erased data from magnetic media or random-access memory. This paper covers some of the methods available to recover erased data and presents schemes to make this recovery significantly more difficult.

Moron, you didn't even read the link, did you? Or maybe you did, you just haven't the slightest clue what it says. Gutmann suggests that magnetic force microscopy (MFM) could theoretically recover overwritten data. But aside from the fact that it's nothing more than an untested hypothesis, his analysis is also outdated. Congratulations on being a fucking moron. :slap:

Forum List

Back