Tony Stewart runs over and kills another driver during race

Impossible to tell from the video what actually happened at the time of impact so that is up to the investigation. It is possible that Stewart might have culpability here but until there is an investigation I will reserve judgement. However the kid was at fault for walking into the path of the vehicles. Where were the track marshals and why didn't they stop him? All motor racing is dangerous but stupidity played a role in this tragedy in my opinion.

It takes a little time for rescuers to get to an accident, and less time for a Sprint car to make a lap, especially if the guy with the yellow flag doesn't get it out quickly enough.

I doubt any of you have actually been in a sprint car, but I have. I know that video looks horrible - and it is - but the driver's field of vision is surprisingly restricted. This screen shot from a racing sim gives you some of the feel -
th

But it's actually worse than that, because after a couple of laps the windscreen (which usually only covers the bottom portion of the cockpit opening) is caked with mud. The point is, Stewart couldn't have even seen the guy outside of his car (in a black racing suit at night no less) until a split second or two before he hit him. Barely enough time to swerve. Furthermore, you steer a sprint car with the throttle. Letting off the gas, believe it or not, actually cause the car to straighten out. So it's entirely plausible that the gunning of the throttle, if indeed that was Stewarts car hear, was an attempt to miss Ward.

It's also entirely possible that Stewart knew the driver was out of the car, went high on purpose, and gunned the throttle to give him a squirt, not knowing that Ward had ventured so far down into traffic. Which would be wreckless and verge on manslaughter.

But I can't for a minute imagine that Stewart deliberately tried to hit Ward.

I haven't actually driven one, but I watched enough races to know how they handle. I can believe Stewart tried to force Ward off the track, but I cannot see him deliberately running him down.

It was a slide job, and Ward didn't back off soon enough, it happens. No doubt Ward was stoked up and grandstanding based on Stewart's rep with the locals (he caused a major wreck at this track last year).

For what I saw, it seems to me that Ward got out of the car and walked into oncoming traffic .... it was kind of shocking, I imagine he was so angry he didn't gave a second thought about the danger...

So tragic and totally unnecessary.

At the risk of sounding like a blowhard, I want to 'asplain' to you all what a 'slide job' is, and its significance in this incident. In sprint car racing, it's relatively easy to pass another driver going into a turn. You simply dive down low and cut under them. The problem with this tactic is it generally causes your car to subsequently drift high and to the outside coming out of the turn. "High and outside" is not where you want to be coming out of a turn. It's the longest way around the track and offers the least traction. You lose all your momentum and come out of the turn with less speed. But, if you have successfully blocked the other driver's line, it doesn't matter. The pass is complete and you are ahead of them. Even if both of you have taken a slower line.

When an experienced driver sees another car trying a slide job on them, they back off the throttle and let the slider drift past them to the outside and cut back under them coming out of the turn. They pass them right back and the driver trying the slide job is the loser. So, most people won't try a slide job on an experienced driver, because it won't work.

Hopefully now you can appreciate the dynamic here. Just trying a slide job on another driver is a bit of an insult. Successfully pulling one off proves the point. Going into the wall, because you're too stubborn to back out when you've been suckered by a slide job is pure humiliation. That's why Ward was so pissed and why he was throwing a fit.

Last edited:
Not familiar with Sprint but shouldn't the cars have been going slower after the initial accident?

They can't really go much slower than that. Sprint cars have single speed transmissions and no clutches. Furthermore, they have no starters and must be pushed to start back up again. 30 - 40 miles per hour is about as slow as they can go. It was Stewart gunning it (if that is what happened) that is questionable.

My brothers both race these kinds of cars, so this really hits home. The kid was stupid as hell for getting out of the car, but it happens. But jeez.... with Stewart's reputation as a hothead, this is going to be hard for him to shrug.

One thing that's probably not common knowledge is that sprint cars are actually harder to control at low speeds - they're pretty much designed to run in a perpetual power-drift - but it sure looked like Stewart could have tried harder to miss him.

I like NASCAR nad I see this race on TV. Kevin Ward he should not get out from the car then go to middle of the track.

Not familiar with Sprint but shouldn't the cars have been going slower after the initial accident?

Trust me, they were going slower. They can hit 140 mph, which is really scary on dirt. Those huge spoilers are the only thing that keeps them on the ground, and the sideboards lets them make a turn. Those cars are fast, and the track is small.

(1) The deceased was an idiot, but how could anyone be surprised at that? 20 year old race car driver. It would be surprising if he wasn't an idiot.

(2) Can't tell from the clip whether Steward swerved on purpose, or his car swerved on impact.

(3) Criminal charges are a non-starter. If it happened on the street, it would be impossible to prove intent - on a racetrack there are no traffic laws.

(4) In the Good Old U S of A, that kid's family is going to sue everyone from Stewart to the fukkers who designed his racing helmet, for $100 million, plus. This case and these videos are going to be examined in microscopic detail for months, if not years. Some jury will end up giving the kid's heirs ten million or so, just to assuage their sorrow, regardless of how stupidly he behaved on the track.

(5) The insurance company will pay it.

I love cars and motorcycles. I like to drive fast. I have never been to a car race and can't imagine why anyone would pay to see one. Maybe a demolition derby.

For what I saw, it seems to me that Ward got out of the car and walked into oncoming traffic .... it was kind of shocking, I imagine he was so angry he didn't gave a second thought about the danger...

So tragic and totally unnecessary.

He did. I was wondering what he thought he was going to do. The cars slowed down but he was not backing down in any way.

My brothers both race these kinds of cars, so this really hits home. The kid was stupid as hell for getting out of the car, but it happens. But jeez.... with Stewart's reputation as a hothead, this is going to be hard for him to shrug.

One thing that's probably not common knowledge is that sprint cars are actually harder to control at low speeds - they're pretty much designed to run in a perpetual power-drift - but it sure looked like Stewart could have tried harder to miss him.

I like NASCAR nad I see this race on TV. Kevin Ward he should not get out from the car then go to middle of the track.

If he even saw the guy,tracks are shadowy and dark in places,it a dangerous sport,getting out of his car while cars were still running is stupid as it gets.

If he even saw the guy,tracks are shadowy and dark in places,it a dangerous sport,getting out of his car while cars were still running is stupid as it gets.

Yeah. I don't think Stewart will get pinned with anything serious - but I also bet he did run high and tap the throttle on purpose to give him a shot. Probably shit himself when he felt him wad up under his right rear.

I don't think he'll be charged with anything but I bet he considers an early retirement from driving. Either way he will now be the most hated driver in NASCAR regardless of his liability for the incident.

I don't think he'll be charged with anything but I bet he considers an early retirement from driving. Either way he will now be the most hated driver in NASCAR regardless of his liability for the incident.

It was all over all the local stations,the track is not far from us,the local cops have said there will be NO charges.Racing has risks,you stay in your car,and you don't run into the middle while cars are still running at speed,this is not rocket science. Its a shame,now Stewart will have to listen to all the hateers that want his ass,when it was the other guys that caused it all

(1) The deceased was an idiot, but how could anyone be surprised at that? 20 year old race car driver. It would be surprising if he wasn't an idiot.

(2) Can't tell from the clip whether Steward swerved on purpose, or his car swerved on impact.

(3) Criminal charges are a non-starter. If it happened on the street, it would be impossible to prove intent - on a racetrack there are no traffic laws.

(4) In the Good Old U S of A, that kid's family is going to sue everyone from Stewart to the fukkers who designed his racing helmet, for $100 million, plus. This case and these videos are going to be examined in microscopic detail for months, if not years. Some jury will end up giving the kid's heirs ten million or so, just to assuage their sorrow, regardless of how stupidly he behaved on the track.

(5) The insurance company will pay it.

I love cars and motorcycles. I like to drive fast. I have never been to a car race and can't imagine why anyone would pay to see one. Maybe a demolition derby.

Come to Bristol just once, and you will be hooked for life.

[MENTION=30538]Grampa Murked U[/MENTION]

How much do you want to bet on that statement?

Forum List

Back