Too Smart To Be A Cop?

I obtained a degree in Criminal Justice decades ago and during one class we had a guest speaker who said that they do weed out the highly intelligent. Their reasoning is that the job won't hold the interest of someone with a high IQ for very long and that they would just leave the force. They prefer those with average IQ's. I always thought that interesting, since having a detective on the force with a high IQ, should be an advantage to solving crimes.

The more widely distributed this information becomes the better the outcomes for high IQ people who want to be police officers. They simply tank the test on purpose. Presto chango, they're now normal IQ applicants.

Thats dumb. They still have the psych evaluation. It will come out regardless.

Smart people understand why most of the questions are being asked and can choose the "proper" response if they know what end-state is desired. Honesty is usually offered when you're not being punished for honesty. Honesty can be withheld in order to avoid being punished.

You forget any such effort to provide the "proper response" is immediately picked up as evasion and dishonestly. You can't control body language. There is a person to person psychological interveiw conducted by a person that does it for a living.

I obtained a degree in Criminal Justice decades ago and during one class we had a guest speaker who said that they do weed out the highly intelligent. Their reasoning is that the job won't hold the interest of someone with a high IQ for very long and that they would just leave the force. They prefer those with average IQ's. I always thought that interesting, since having a detective on the force with a high IQ, should be an advantage to solving crimes.

The more widely distributed this information becomes the better the outcomes for high IQ people who want to be police officers. They simply tank the test on purpose. Presto chango, they're now normal IQ applicants.

Smart people understand why most of the questions are being asked and can choose the "proper" response if they know what end-state is desired. Honesty is usually offered when you're not being punished for honesty. Honesty can be withheld in order to avoid being punished.

You forget any such effort to provide the "proper response" is immediately picked up as evasion and dishonestly. You can't control body language. There is a person to person psychological interveiw conducted by a person that does it for a living.

It's picked up when normal people do it, not when brainiacs do it.

It's picked up when normal people do it, not when brainiacs do it.

Thats why people that think they are smart typically get caught or are suspected. No matter how much of a brainiac you may be your body language gives you away. Your body language is controlled by your medulla oblongata. The same part that controls all of your autonomous functions like breathing. Has nothing to do with intelligence.

Skimming the article this is really bizarre. I can kinda see how 'job satisfaction' would be of greater importance in jobs like policing, but that the courts upheld it too is truly strange.

Scored quite high on my ASVAB way back nailing all 50 of the simple arithmetic questions but doing abyssmally on the mechanical enginnering portion (wrench? what's a wrench?) :) Scored just shy to qualifying for nuclear propulsion school which I wasn't interested in but high enough for what I was.

Actually, you certainly CAN control body language with appropriate training. (Basically: you need to take acting classes.)

Actually, you certainly CAN control body language with appropriate training. (Basically: you need to take acting classes.)
No you cant take acting classes to prepare you for the unknown. If you have a script that you know will not be deviated from you may be able to train yourself and you still will give something away. Thats why people say some actors are good and others suck. The ones that suck give us the unconscious feeling they are not authentic. In a situation where you have no clue whats coming at you there is no way you can control your body language.

If you were smart, you wouldn't use links that say STUPID things like this >> "A smart person does not continuously shoot at an unarmed man who posed zero threat and whose arms are in the air."
geez.gif

If you were smart, you wouldn't use links that say STUPID things like this >> "A smart person does not continuously shoot at an unarmed man who posed zero threat and whose arms are in the air."
geez.gif

But stalking my posts is smart because...?

Actually, you are making me look good. Half the effort and I am all over the forums.

But it does show you to be seriously petty. But keep digging up my posts. More facts under my name. I am not ashamed of any of them.

:mm::mm::mm::mm::mm::mm::mm::mm:

It makes sense.

The cops can't have their stormtroopers thinking for themselves now can they?

It does make it easier to keep the troops in line.

BTW, this thread was not reborn because Protectionist wanted to discuss it. He is pissy because I made him look foolish. So he is going around digging up threads in which I have posted.

Quite flattering, in a weird stalker kind of way.

Bias article for sure.

They screen out some "over qualified" candidates like all employers do. A PD isnt going to hire a fresh MIT engineering grad....because that guy is quitting within a year.for higher paying jobs. Why spend the time and money training someone you know is quitting??

CALEA...the national accreditation agency for police...requires a 2 year degree standard and recommends a bachelors degree...to.be a cop. Most agencies follow that.

I do not understand why they would screen out intelligent applicants.

Is it faulty reasoning that an intelligent police officer might exercise more caution and restraint?

They dont screen out intelligence. They screen over qualified people. ALL employers do this. No one wants to hire someone who is going to leave within a year for a higher paying or better job.

A new cop usually takes about a year of academy and field training to prepare and $75-100K in traininh and equipment costs. You want to get at least 5 years out of a new hire.

So a Harvard law school grad...fresh out of college? No way. A former SEAL with political ties? Nope. They'll be off to bigger and better jobs.

Every employer in America screens candidates who are over qualified. Somehow...its not ok for police though.

Forum List

Back