Top 1 percent took record share of US income in 2012

he pay gap between the richest 1 percent and the rest of America widened last year, making a record.

The top 1 percent of U.S. earners collected 19.3 percent of household income in 2012, their largest share in Internal Revenue Service figures going back a century.

U.S. income inequality has been growing for almost three decades. But until last year, the top 1 percent's share of pre-tax income had not yet surpassed the 18.7 percent it reached in 1927, according to an analysis of IRS figures dating to 1913 by economists at the University of California, Berkeley, the Paris School of Economics and Oxford University.

One of them, Emmanuel Saez of the University of California, Berkeley, said the incomes of the richest Americans might have surged last year in part because they cashed in stock holdings to avoid higher capital gains taxes that took effect in January.

Last year, the incomes of the top 1 percent rose 19.6 percent compared with a 1 percent increase for the remaining 99 percent.

What else can be said, the powerful line their pockets while chastising and hurting workers.
Top 1 percent took record share of US income in 2012 - NBC News.com

Interestingly, three decades ago is about the time the middle class working stiffs' income started becoming flat. A coincidence? Just think, wages were higher in the 70's in Real Dollars than they are now for the working Middle Class. Ah,,, the American Dream, it was a great while it lasted, now it's a fantasy.

Attachments

• $US_Real_Wages_1964-2004.gif
    $US_Real_Wages_1964-2004.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
You post opinions sans facts ("The problem is that liberals are weak and you want lots of reward for almost no effort") based on your hate for those who don't subscribe to your non pragmatic and emotion laden ideology.

Actually I gave the only fact in this discussion, it's you and your buds who are blowing opinion out of your posteriors.

The top 1% earn 20% of the income and pay 40% of the taxes. IRS data. The problem is what exactly? How much should they pay?

When a wealthy person's share of the national income is skyrocketing, and their tax RATE has actually declined over a period of several decades (check the tax tables over the last 50 years if you don't believe me), then complaining about paying 40% of all federal income taxes is a red herring because they're not only MAKING more money than they ever did before, they're KEEPING more of that income (both the previous level of income and the increase in income) than they ever did before because their marginal tax rate is less than half of what it used to be.

Last edited:
Actually I gave the only fact in this discussion, it's you and your buds who are blowing opinion out of your posteriors.

The top 1% earn 20% of the income and pay 40% of the taxes. IRS data. The problem is what exactly? How much should they pay?

The fact that you actually believe your "fact" actually says something of substance is evidence you lack critical thinking skills and/or are not very bright.

I hope this is not too abstract for you: "There are liars, damn liars and statistics", Mark Twain

It's IRS data, easily verifiable by anyone with a browser who actually cares.

I get the idea that liberals on this thread hate people being prosperous. Remind me why I should care? If you want to be rich, GET OFF YOUR ASS, QUIT WHINING, AND GET STARTED! You have one life to live, make the best of it!

You post opinions sans facts ("The problem is that liberals are weak and you want lots of reward for almost no effort") based on your hate for those who don't subscribe to your non pragmatic and emotion laden ideology.

When a wealthy person's share of the national income is skyrocketing, and their tax RATE has actually declined over a period of several decades (check the tax tables over the last 50 years if you don't believe me), then complaining about paying 40% of all federal income taxes is a red herring because they're not only MAKING more money than they ever did before, they're KEEPING more of that income (both the previous level of income and the increase of income) than they ever did before because the marginal tax rate is less than half of what it used to be.

The wealthiest man in America has a tiny fraction the wealth as a percent of our economy of the wealthiest men in America a century ago. Sorry the facts don't support your claim without cherry picking and narrowly defining them.

A great question to ask yourself is why is it government's job to decide how much wealth anyone can create? I'm seriously not jealous of what anyone else has, I guess that's why it doesn't bother me.

Obama's election has been good for someone...

just not good for you in the middle class or the poor

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Currently active users on this thread:

Wry Catcher, Nosmo King, francoHFW, Mustang, Dutch, ClosedCaption

If it isn't George Zimmerman one day, it's class warfare the next. You guys are pathetic.

When a wealthy person's share of the national income is skyrocketing, and their tax RATE has actually declined over a period of several decades (check the tax tables over the last 50 years if you don't believe me), then complaining about paying 40% of all federal income taxes is a red herring because they're not only MAKING more money than they ever did before, they're KEEPING more of that income (both the previous level of income and the increase of income) than they ever did before because the marginal tax rate is less than half of what it used to be.

Very well stated. And, if their after taxes income is greater then ever before, and as the right likes to posit they are the job creators, where is all this money going?

Since it's not going to jobs, why not give tax breaks to the real creators, small businesses, and make up for those tax credits by raising the tax schedules to Clinton era rates?

If it isn't George Zimmerman one day, it's class warfare the next. You guys are pathetic.

pitiful is more like it...yesterday it was hate on Tea Party...today it's the wealthy..

it'll be someone else tomorrow, you can bank on that

pitiful is more like it...yesterday it was hate on Tea Party...today it's the wealthy..

Their policies don't work and their ideas don't make sense, hate is all they have left. Sadly that one is working.

Since he's not bright enough to offer any substantive comment he once again defaults to the ad hominem logical fallacy and a Limbaugh talking point: Class Warfare.

It must gladden the heart and further blacken the sole of the right wing propaganda machine when they read their words posted over and over again by a member the echo chamber.

You are missing the entire point. No one disagrees with you that the top 1% pay most of the taxes. The problem is that all of the income gains in the last 30 years or so have gone almost exclusively to the top 1% and if this continues it can be detrimental to our society. If the top 1% is sharing 25-30 percent of income gains in this country and 300 million have to fight for the other 70% it can become an unstable situation. Just look throughout history and there are plenty of examples of empires and countries collapsing with income inequality being a major factor in that collapse. French Revolution, Russian Revolution, etc......

This point will be...MUST BE ignored. Watch

Told ya..

...of federal income taxes, dingbat, because voodoo is for fooling the dupes. Payroll taxes are now more than that, and all the state taxes and fees have risen to make up for the shortfall, so now people on welfare pay as much percentage wise as many of the richest. Change the channel, functional moron. Stuff the lazy BS too, Pub dupes. Ay caramba...

Their policies don't work and their ideas don't make sense, hate is all they have left. Sadly that one is working.

Finally, you have nailed the New Right - Voodoo econ and all. Well done.

"The middle class has been buried these past 4 years" Biden October 2012 admitting Obama has been a disaster

...of federal income taxes, dingbat, because voodoo is for fooling the dupes. Payroll taxes are now more than that, and all the state taxes and fees have risen to make up for the shortfall, so now people on welfare pay as much percentage wise as many of the richest. Change the channel, functional moron. Stuff the lazy BS too, Pub dupes. Ay caramba...

I thought social security was a sound investment plan, turns out it's just a tax?

So if people fund their own retirement, then they shouldn't have to pay any other taxes...

You are missing the entire point. No one disagrees with you that the top 1% pay most of the taxes. The problem is that all of the income gains in the last 30 years or so have gone almost exclusively to the top 1% and if this continues it can be detrimental to our society. If the top 1% is sharing 25-30 percent of income gains in this country and 300 million have to fight for the other 70% it can become an unstable situation. Just look throughout history and there are plenty of examples of empires and countries collapsing with income inequality being a major factor in that collapse. French Revolution, Russian Revolution, etc......

This point will be...MUST BE ignored. Watch

Told ya..

Actually, nobody thought that sweeping statements based on data that was pulled out of his ass needed to be addressed.

The point isn't about how easy or difficult it is to get rich. The point is about how difficult it is now, as opposed to decades passed, just to support a family.

Even after almost 5 years of Obama, it's easier now and more rewarding in this country then for almost any in the history of mankind. The problem is that liberals are weak and you want lots of reward for almost no effort.You don't get that your soft life was provided by a lot of hard work and in your greed, you're working to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

While, simultaneously, force their children and grandchildren to pay for the soft life that they don't want to pay for themselves.

:thup:

Great plan, if we let 'em get away with it

Forum List

Back