Tragic: Young mother forced to choose between Obamacare premiums and feeding family

well, i did a simple search and the avg disability check per person in PA, is $1100 a month, so let's say her family fixed income is $26000 cuz both she and her husband receive full disability from SSI, so even less than the 30k i first estimated..... as far as whether she is a smoker or not, the exchange in Maine, which allows insurance companies to increase your premium if a smoker, has a non profit insurance co on the exchange that gives no penalty for smoking, while the other insurer on Maine's exchange does charge 30% more for the individual smoker's portion, if in a family plan....so it is possible, if she is a smoker, there are plans on PA's marketplace that do not increase premiums for smokers, just like Maine.

here is what the Kaiser calculator estimates for this couple on a $26,000 a year income

Results

Note that regardless of whether your state expands Medicaid, children at this income under the age of 19 are likely eligible for coverage under Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), depending on your state's eligibility requirements.
If your state expands Medicaid

If your state chooses to expand Medicaid to everyone under 138% of the poverty level under the ACA, you will be eligible for coverage under the program. Medicaid coverage varies from state to state, but out-of-pocket costs are generally modest. Smoking status is not taken into account in Medicaid eligibility.

If your state does not expand Medicaid

If your state does not expand Medicaid, you will be eligible to purchase subsidized coverage through the exchanges.
The information below is about subsidized exchange coverage. Note that depending on your state's eligibility requirements, you may still be eligible for coverage through Medicaid.
Household income in 2014:133% of poverty levelUnsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014: $10,668 Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy: 3.01% Amount you pay for the premium: $782 per year
(which equals 3.01% of your household income and covers 7% of the overall premium) You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to: $9,886
(which covers 93% of the overall premium)

The premium and subsidy amounts above are based on a Silver plan. You have the option to apply the subsidy toward the purchase of other levels of coverage, such as a Gold plan (which would be more comprehensive) or a Bronze plan (which would be less comprehensive).
For example, you could enroll in a Bronze plan for about $0 per year (which is 0% of your household income). By enrolling in a Bronze plan, you would receive $8,801 in subsidies, which would cover the entire amount of your Bronze premium. For most people, the Bronze plan represents the minimum level of coverage required under health reform. Although you would pay less in premiums by enrolling in a Bronze plan, you will face higher out-of-pocket costs than if you enrolled in a Silver plan.
Out of Pocket Costs

Your out-of-pocket maximum for a Silver plan (not including the premium) can be no more than $4,500. Whether you reach this maximum level will depend on the amount of health care services you use. Currently, about one in four people use no health care services in any given year.
You are guaranteed access to a Silver plan with an actuarial value of 94%. This means that for all enrollees in a typical population, the plan will pay for 94% of expenses in total for covered benefits, with enrollees responsible for the rest. If you choose to enroll in a Bronze plan, the actuarial value will be 60%, meaning your out-of-pocket costs when you use services will likely be higher. Regardless of which level of coverage you choose, deductibles and copayments will vary from plan to plan, and out-of-pocket costs will depend on your health care expenses. Preventive services will be covered with no cost sharing required.
Other Coverage Options

Children and young adults under age 30 are eligible to purchase catastrophic coverage. With a catastrophic plan, you would pay out-of-pocket for most health services until you reach the annual limit on cost sharing ($12,700 in 2014). However, preventive services are covered with no cost sharing required.
Children under the age of 19 may also be eligible for coverage under Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), depending on your state's eligibility requirements.

Reid has a fixed income, and millions in real estate holdings. The point is you are making assumptions.
Yes, of course they are based on assumptions, assumptions based off of what she SAID....her and her husband are both on a fixed disability income and have a 5 year old child, and in viewing her and guessing her age....

her saying she would have to pay $800 and something a month for her own family insurance plan off of the exchange is simply NOT TRUE, IF what she said about her and her husband ona fixed disability income....and barely making ends meet, and where in the world can she get health insurance for the 3 of them for $200 and something a month in the private insurance marketplace? Neither she or her husband work? she said that...so no employer is funding most of it? So, logic HAS TO come in to play some where, no? Is this some sort of fee she has to pay for Medicaid coverage that she is already getting through her State? If she is so poor why hasn't she gotten Schip for her child's insurance? If she receives medical coverage already due to her and her husband's disability, why is she looking for insurance in the first place?

Yes, these are assumptions and questions that come to my mind for simply using deductive reasoning....a God given gift, that many seem to be unaware of....

BUT INSTEAD we have ops like this one, that just took everything this woman said at face value, when in any thinking mind, the woman is simply not telling the truth, or is fibbing in her 15 minutes of fame...

i've given you a couple of different income scenarios from the Kaiser Calculator, that show the woman does not appear to know what she is talking about....and must be confused....or something, cuz even if she made substantially more, it still wouldn't come to the amount she quoted...

wonder what her disability is....?

It doesn't matter what you are basing the assumptions on, they are still assumptions.

Let me make a few assumptions to show you why your assumptions are not actually taking every single possibility into account.

Imagine that both her and her husband were involved in an accident, and the other party was at fault. this hypothetical person has good insurance, and they end up with a settlement that pays them a fixed income that is 4.2 times the poverty level, and covers lifetime medical expenses related to the accident, but not unrelated expenses, like insurance for their child. Since they don't need coverage for every possible problem they find a policy that covers their daughter, and gives them a small policy for other medical cost that isn't covered as part of the settlement.

Now, under Obamacare, they have to buy insurance that covers everything, including maternity coverage for both her and her husband. (By the way, her husband never needed maternity coverage before because, until now, no one expected him to defy the laws of nature and get pregnant.) Their coverage also has to cover all the expenses they could leave out of their previous policy, which means they have to report the preexisting condition that results in their disability payment.
Since the Kaiser calculator doesn't cover current policies, and cannot know their income and/or insurance needs, and is not part of the official state website, and doesn't actually include the options available on the state exchange site, your assumptions are as ridiculous as mine. The difference is I am not assuming my assumptions trump her personal experience.

Last edited:
MY LORD! Have YOU GOT IT BACKWARDS! It's just the opposite Shroom, health insurance could drop the child at 21 BEFORE obamacare, NOW with Obamacare, kids can stay on parent's health plan until 26 yrs old.....

SO, looks like you must have misunderstood your neighbor...you start saying 'life' insurance then moved in to saying health insurance....looks like you are confused?

nope..

I don't have it backwards or wrong.

The old policy was a "cadillac" plan that the company no longer offers. They put all their insured into another plan which had most of the same coverages without the bells and whistles, including allowing children who were not living with their parents to stay on as a rider.

Any good insurance agent, who has a customer with multiple policies will look at all them briefly when discussing any one of them.

I'm not wrong nor do I have it backwards.
ohhhhhhhhhhh yes you do have it wrong shroom.....just read up on it, inform yourself....knowledge is good, ignorance is bad and lazy....are you lazy?

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-dependentcoverage.html

Q1: How does the Affordable Care Act help young adults?

Before the President signed the Affordable Care Act into law, many health plans and issuers could remove adult children from their parents' policies because of their age, whether or not they were a student or where they lived. The Affordable Care Act requires plans and issuers that offer dependent coverage to make the coverage available until the adult child reaches the age of 26. Many parents and their children who worried about losing health insurance after they graduated from college no longer have to worry.

now they just have to worry about affording it

As a middle income professional, I am not eligible for subsidies under the ACA.

In order to maintain my current health insurance status, I am required by law to pay 120% more in order to maintain similar coverage under Obama's ACA.

Why? Because it's the law, that's why.

What in the holy fuck hath we wrought.

It is now demanded of me that I pay an additional $10,000 per year for the same health care coverage for which I have been paying. If I choose not to participate, I will be fined by my government.

The gun is to my head.

Obama is at the trigger.

Is this not the definition of a ******?

I need a loan here. I seem to be $10,000 short.

You see, my President decreed that I pay an extra $10,000 per year for the same health insurance policy that I've had for the last several years.

Why? Because it's affordable. It's the ACA... Affordable Care Act.

It is now demanded of me that I pay an additional $10,000 per year for the same health care coverage for which I have been paying. If I choose not to participate, I will be fined by my government.

The gun is to my head.

Obama is at the trigger.

Excellent post, but sorry to read about your dilemma in which you can't control. One of my friends parents has Kaiser. Since ObamadoesntCare, for them to keep the same plan, they now have to do 40% co-pay, and deduct $5,000 per person covered.

The gun is to my head.

Obama is at the trigger.

Excellent post, but sorry to read about your dilemma in which you can't control. One of my friends parents has Kaiser. Since ObamadoesntCare, for them to keep the same plan, they now have to do 40% co-pay, and deduct $5,000 per person covered.

none of it makes any sense

why would the progressives

purposefully inflict so much pain on the people

The Obamacare fanatics have yet to answer the question they used to ask conservatives:

"How will the families that have to suddenly come up with thousands of dollars extra for Obamacare, pay for it? What parts of their family budget is government forcing them to cut, to pay the increased costs of Obamacare mandated by the administration?"

For more and more people, it's not just an academic exercise. They've been stretching their budgets to keep everything covered: Paying the rent, buying food, keeping the lights on, buying clothes for their kids, etc. Now, suddenly, they find they have to pay thousands more, often for less health coverage than they used to have. Which of those other things must they cut, to get the money that government has MANDATED they pay?

------------------------------------------------------

Tragic: Young Mother Forced to Choose Between Obamacare Premiums and Feeding Family - Guy Benson

Tragic: Young Mother Forced to Choose Between Obamacare Premiums and Feeding Family

Guy Benson | Oct 11, 2013

The Obama administration will rely on emotional anecdotes and incomplete data to help defend their signature law -- once its websites are fixed and people can actually enroll, that is. Critics will counter with reams of statistics proving that Obamacare violates its core promises. While empirical evidence is indispensable, it's also critical to showcase real people who are being actively harmed by the law. Meet this young, disabled mother from Allentown, Pennsylvania:

WFMZ-PA: ObamaCare Forces A Mother To Choose Between Insurance Or Putting Food On Table - YouTube

"It would take food out of our mouths to be able to afford these coverages."

Heartbreaking. Obamacare will force this woman, her husband and their five-year-old son to choose between obtaining coverage and putting food on the table. The law's "affordable" premiums will hike the family's bills by hundreds of dollars compared to their current plan. They can't afford the change, so a desperate decision awaits.

This is why so many Americans have forcefully opposed Obamacare for so long. It's not about "hating" the president. It's not about racial animus. It's not about protecting the rich. It has nothing to do with any of the red herrings proponents toss out to sully and impugn opponents' motives. The truth is that this law hurts people, breaks virtually all of the major promises upon which it was sold, and is simply unaffordable to a federal government that's already facing a long-term debt crisis.

Well, if she and her husband are both on disability, then she would almost certainly qualify for Medicaid since Pennsylvania is one of the states that has expanded Medicaid coverage. If their income happens to get them about the 138% of poverty level, then they would qualify for some pretty big subsidies which will reduce their cost for health insurance to nearly nothing.

Too many people do not understand how this is going to work and when they see rates they are jumping to conclusions without actually getting the bottom dollar amount it will actually cost them.

In order to maintain my current health insurance status, I am required by law to pay 120% more in order to maintain similar coverage under Obama's ACA.

Let me guess. You have a catastrphic plan that has a high deductible and is no longer available once the ACA is enacted. Right?

Let me guess. You have a catastrphic plan that has a high deductible and is no longer available once the ACA is enacted. Right?

No, you blithering idiot.

My current plan looks something like this... $2,000 deductible, 20% coinsurance, $5,000 out of pocket. To match this under the ACA demands of me an additional $10,000 per year in premiums.

Stop fucking with me, asshat.

This just happened yesterday...

My neighbor and his son went in to review their life insurance policies.. as they were discussing that, the agent realized that the son had just turned 21.

Because of the changes Obama-care caused, the son was automatically dropped from the parent's health policy on October 1st. The old policy allowed him to stay on until he turned 25, got married, or graduated from all of his schooling, which ever came first.

The son had to get his own policy, $400 a month or not be covered and pay two months up front.

The kid has one full time job, he was saving to pay for his next year of school... But now between his car insurance and health insurance, that will take up nearly 60% of his monthly take home pay.
MY LORD! Have YOU GOT IT BACKWARDS! It's just the opposite Shroom, health insurance could drop the child at 21 BEFORE obamacare, NOW with Obamacare, kids can stay on parent's health plan until 26 yrs old.....

SO, looks like you must have misunderstood your neighbor...you start saying 'life' insurance then moved in to saying health insurance....looks like you are confused?

nope..

I don't have it backwards or wrong.

Yes you do.

The gun is to my head.

Obama is at the trigger.

You're a lying, racist sack of shit

The gun is to my head.

Obama is at the trigger.

You're a lying, racist sack of shit

How many times must I remind you people...

it's MISTER lying, racist sack of shit.

So fuck off.

I don't get the subsides as well, But will pay almost the exact amount for our health insurance.
My son and myself will not be kicked off due to our preexisting conditions

Anyone who can not afford health care and is off any care for 6 months opens the door to get free Obama care.

The gun is to my head.

Obama is at the trigger.

none of it makes any sense

why would the progressives

purposefully inflict so much pain on the people
Because the ACA is but a step towards the real goal.

ACA was never meant to be workable, or to even work at all. It was designed to inflict as much pain as possible on the American people.

Then, when it's shown conclusively to be an utter failure, the left will offer to "fix" it -- by instituting single-payer. The complete government takeover of the health care industry. Nationalizing health care.

That, of course, will be an utter failure, too -- but that's the goal. Socialized medicine. Government making all your healthcare decisions for you.

And if anyone thinks the government will have your best interests at heart, you're not thinking at all.

No, you blithering idiot.

My current plan looks something like this... $2,000 deductible, 20% coinsurance, $5,000 out of pocket. To match this under the ACA demands of me an additional $10,000 per year in premiums.

Stop fucking with me, asshat.

I do not believe you. Did you not understand? Unless you have a pln tht is so shitty that it does not meet the basic consumer protections stipulated in the ACA, you will be able to keep it.

You still have not provided the details needed for me to check the validity of your claim. I wonder why?

Nothing will stop idiotic lies like these. They will proliferate because, as we all know, rw's are whatcha call yer basic low-info gullible fools.

All they have to do is EDUCATE themselves to learn that this story is not true. Or, at least it doesn't have to be true.

Forum List

Back