Tragic: Young mother forced to choose between Obamacare premiums and feeding family

There is no way that a family that is struggling to pay bills/ eat well....on a fixed income, disabled...and with a five year old...will pay $900 plus per month for insurance in PA on the exchange.

She is either misinformed or lying.

Have a little common sense.

What will they be paying?

Pubcrappe- It doesn't need payment until next March, and I'm guessing they'll get free Medicaid- unless they live in a stupid red state- or their payment will be next to nothing...stop listening to BS...

Remarkable.

This person knows nothing about her situation, and so makes random guess slanted in favor of his own liberal agenda, calls the article names, even calls her state names, call the entire thing names.....

....and then tells us not to listen to OTHER PEOPLE'S BS !!!

You have to wonder if he ever stops admiring his own pronouncements, long enough to notice how silly they are.

I can take one of his recommendations: I will not be listening to his BS.

Fear mongered Pub dupes- the wages of total ignorance..

She will pay nothing or almost nothing.

Free check ups of all kinds, huge subsidies on drugs too. READ SOMETHING, FUNCTIONAL MORONS LOL.

Last edited:
There is no way that a family that is struggling to pay bills/ eat well....on a fixed income, disabled...and with a five year old...will pay $900 plus per month for insurance in PA on the exchange.

If they dont make enough, they get state aid which the pay is nothing.

If? Is that the best you got?

From the Kaiser Calculator/Estimate

If her and her husband make $30k, that's $15k each in disability checks, which I am not even certain it is that high, I guessed and thought she looked like she was about 30 years old, she could be younger with a baby/child that young but I put in 30 years old for her and her husband, for Allentown, Pa zipcode, as the article said she lived there....

here is what I got....

Results

The information below is about subsidized exchange coverage. Note that subsidies are only available for people purchasing coverage on their own in the exchange (not through an employer). Depending on your state's eligibility criteria, you or some members of your family may qualify for Medicaid.
Household income in 2014:154% of poverty levelUnsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014: $10,668 Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy: 4.17% Amount you pay for the premium: $1,250 per year
(which equals 4.17% of your household income and covers 12% of the overall premium) You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to: $9,418
(which covers 88% of the overall premium)

The premium and subsidy amounts above are based on a Silver plan. You have the option to apply the subsidy toward the purchase of other levels of coverage, such as a Gold plan (which would be more comprehensive) or a Bronze plan (which would be less comprehensive).
For example, you could enroll in a Bronze plan for about $0 per year (which is 0% of your household income). By enrolling in a Bronze plan, you would receive $8,801 in subsidies, which would cover the entire amount of your Bronze premium. For most people, the Bronze plan represents the minimum level of coverage required under health reform. Although you would pay less in premiums by enrolling in a Bronze plan, you will face higher out-of-pocket costs than if you enrolled in a Silver plan.
Out of Pocket Costs

Your out-of-pocket maximum for a Silver plan (not including the premium) can be no more than $4,500. Whether you reach this maximum level will depend on the amount of health care services you use. Currently, about one in four people use no health care services in any given year.
You are guaranteed access to a Silver plan with an actuarial value of 87%. This means that for all enrollees in a typical population, the plan will pay for 87% of expenses in total for covered benefits, with enrollees responsible for the rest. If you choose to enroll in a Bronze plan, the actuarial value will be 60%, meaning your out-of-pocket costs when you use services will likely be higher. Regardless of which level of coverage you choose, deductibles and copayments will vary from plan to plan, and out-of-pocket costs will depend on your health care expenses. Preventive services will be covered with no cost sharing required.
Other Coverage Options

Children and young adults under age 30 are eligible to purchase catastrophic coverage. With a catastrophic plan, you would pay out-of-pocket for most health services until you reach the annual limit on cost sharing ($12,700 in 2014). However, preventive services are covered with no cost sharing required.
Children under the age of 19 may also be eligible for coverage under Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), depending on your state's eligibility requirements.

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

Last edited:

You mean of course, "what will we the taxpayers be paying?" subsidies mean taxpayers pay.

This just happened yesterday...

My neighbor and his son went in to review their life insurance policies.. as they were discussing that, the agent realized that the son had just turned 21.

Because of the changes Obama-care caused, the son was automatically dropped from the parent's health policy on October 1st. The old policy allowed him to stay on until he turned 25, got married, or graduated from all of his schooling, which ever came first.

The son had to get his own policy, $400 a month or not be covered and pay two months up front.

The kid has one full time job, he was saving to pay for his next year of school... But now between his car insurance and health insurance, that will take up nearly 60% of his monthly take home pay.

My neighbor and his son went in to review their life insurance policies.. as they were discussing that, the agent realized that the son had just turned 21.

Because of the changes Obama-care caused, the son was automatically dropped from the parent's health policy on October 1st. The old policy allowed him to stay on until he turned 25, got married, or graduated from all of his schooling, which ever came first.

The son had to get his own policy, $400 a month or not be covered and pay two months up front.

The kid has one full time job, he was saving to pay for his next year of school... But now between his car insurance and health insurance, that will take up nearly 60% of his monthly take home pay.

Bullshit.

MY LORD! Have YOU GOT IT BACKWARDS! It's just the opposite Shroom, health insurance could drop the child at 21 BEFORE obamacare, NOW with Obamacare, kids can stay on parent's health plan until 26 yrs old.....

SO, looks like you must have misunderstood your neighbor...you start saying 'life' insurance then moved in to saying health insurance....looks like you are confused?

You mean of course, "what will we the taxpayers be paying?" subsidies mean taxpayers pay.

You already are paying, dingbat, just in the stupidest, cruelest, most expensive way possible- no preventive care, checkups, , but ER CARE WITH 750 K BANKRUPTCIES, CUTOFFS, and 45k unnecessary deaths. Idiot.:eusa_whistle:

I dont know her personal income level.hence the if. I dont talk out of my ass like you.

:lmao: Oh the irony :lmao:

(He's so fuck'n stupid, he doesn't realize the contradiction of commenting when admitting he doesn't know her income while claiming he doesn't "talk out of his ass". Uh, if you don't know her income - then by definition you are commenting on something you have NO idea about and are thus "talking out of your ass").

Oh Jesus, I'm literally rolling on my floor right with tears in my eyes... :lmao:

I dont know her personal income level.hence the if. I dont talk out of my ass like you.

You are the one that claimed she is wrong, and that there is no way she would be paying what she claimed. Now you are claiming that you don't know what she will be paying because you don't talk out your ass.

Is the reason you don't talk out of your ass because you can't find it?

From the Kaiser Calculator/Estimate

If her and her husband make $30k, that's $15k each in disability checks, which I am not even certain it is that high, I guessed and thought she looked like she was about 30 years old, she could be younger with a baby/child that young but I put in 30 years old for her and her husband, for Allentown, Pa zipcode, as the article said she lived there....

here is what I got....

Results

The information below is about subsidized exchange coverage. Note that subsidies are only available for people purchasing coverage on their own in the exchange (not through an employer). Depending on your state's eligibility criteria, you or some members of your family may qualify for Medicaid.
Household income in 2014:154% of poverty levelUnsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014: $10,668 Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy: 4.17% Amount you pay for the premium: $1,250 per year
(which equals 4.17% of your household income and covers 12% of the overall premium) You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to: $9,418
(which covers 88% of the overall premium)

The premium and subsidy amounts above are based on a Silver plan. You have the option to apply the subsidy toward the purchase of other levels of coverage, such as a Gold plan (which would be more comprehensive) or a Bronze plan (which would be less comprehensive).
For example, you could enroll in a Bronze plan for about $0 per year (which is 0% of your household income). By enrolling in a Bronze plan, you would receive $8,801 in subsidies, which would cover the entire amount of your Bronze premium. For most people, the Bronze plan represents the minimum level of coverage required under health reform. Although you would pay less in premiums by enrolling in a Bronze plan, you will face higher out-of-pocket costs than if you enrolled in a Silver plan.
Out of Pocket Costs

Your out-of-pocket maximum for a Silver plan (not including the premium) can be no more than $4,500. Whether you reach this maximum level will depend on the amount of health care services you use. Currently, about one in four people use no health care services in any given year.
You are guaranteed access to a Silver plan with an actuarial value of 87%. This means that for all enrollees in a typical population, the plan will pay for 87% of expenses in total for covered benefits, with enrollees responsible for the rest. If you choose to enroll in a Bronze plan, the actuarial value will be 60%, meaning your out-of-pocket costs when you use services will likely be higher. Regardless of which level of coverage you choose, deductibles and copayments will vary from plan to plan, and out-of-pocket costs will depend on your health care expenses. Preventive services will be covered with no cost sharing required.
Other Coverage Options

Children and young adults under age 30 are eligible to purchase catastrophic coverage. With a catastrophic plan, you would pay out-of-pocket for most health services until you reach the annual limit on cost sharing ($12,700 in 2014). However, preventive services are covered with no cost sharing required.
Children under the age of 19 may also be eligible for coverage under Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), depending on your state's eligibility requirements.

Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

If they make $30,000? What if they make more, and smoke?

Forum List

Back