Trump claims he understands and will be a boon to working class Americans....Baloney!

As for your claim that Trump somehow is disqualified for office because he was born wealthy? Did that stop the Kennedy family from making "public service" their family business? How does that house that Trump grew up in compare to the estates that the Kennedy's were brought up in?

article-0-1E1DEEB600000578-433_634x419.jpg

75cab2d558ff193634c7be33ec46ba71.jpg

Gee, how did we let a guy who grew up THERE....ever become our President!

Earlier today I found myself in a discussion (RL) with several other folks about why Trump (not the GOP) is unpopular as a Presidential candidate among working class minorities yet is extremely popular among working class white folks. It is bizarre to me why one might even wonder when the answer is as plain as the nose on one's face: his actions give one absolutely no reason to believe his words about actually caring about working class Americans.

To illustrate, consider any number of things:
  • The fact that it's hard to find any instances of Trump's having visited working class minority neighborhoods and speaking with, and more importantly listening to, working class minorities.
  • The fact that not one of his business ventures has working class people as target customers.
  • His behavior at Bronx P.S. 70...especially when considered in contrast with another corporate executive's comportment at the very same school.
Those are three palpable examples that clearly illustrate his condescension toward working class minorities and his lack of awareness of their situation and how to act to materially improve it, even on a small scale, assuming, that is, there be any truth to the assertion he is of a mind to do so, which given that when given the opportunity to make a real impact and his not doing so, is a dubious claim at best.

Now do the preceding examples and others that I didn't mention speak to why minorities overwhelmingly favor Mrs. Clinton? Of course not. Does it say anything about whether Mrs. Clinton would be better for working class minorities', or working class people in general's, fortunes? Not at all. To gauge whether the same assertion has anything supporting it, one must consider her actions. The thing is that whereas I can find throughout her long life in public service instances where her remarks suggest something other than a comprehensive understanding of working class minorities' needs, I can't find any instances at all of her acting with deliberacy or insouciance toward them.
It is, of course, quite true that Trump is more concerned with the problems and welfare of poor people than Clinton is.

Trump wants to provide school vouchers to the children of poor families who would otherwise have to attend failed, violent schools, but Clinton is opposed to providing any relief to the children of poor families because the teachers unions are opposed it.

Trump recognizes that the millions of illegal immigrants from Mexico are keeping wages low for unskilled laborers and keeping unemployment high among these people. His plans to stop the influx of illegal immigrants from Mexico along with his plans to deport the illegals already here will help to raise wages for unskilled workers and reduce unemployment among these people. Clinton is opposed to any relief for the poor because it might cost her some of the Hispanic vote.

Trump emphasized these two plans in his convention speech, but Clinton never mentioned the problems of the poor in her convention speech.

How does that house that Trump grew up in compare to the estates that the Kennedy's were brought up in?

I have to presume you did not read the entirety of post #38. I quote below the relevant parts you missed.

Wealthy folks need not live in modest homes to "be there" for non-rich folks.

The point of the post in which I pictured that house is as someone born into that good fortune Trump, unlike Al Gore and Mrs. Pelosi (somewhat) for instance, also has not acquired any understanding of how the needs and aspirations of poor and working class folks differ from those of upper middle class and wealthy individuals.

To credibly show that one's own wealth and position isn't accompanied by "blinders," however, one needs to show by one's actions toward and on behalf of non-wealthy folks that one "gets it."

Time and time again, and throughout the entirely to his life, from his childhood to the present day, Trump's actions, regardless of what he's said, illustrate he does not "get it."

When one doesn't start out "regular," one has to work to learn what that's about, and Trump, quite simply, has not.

Why are you claiming he's disqualified? Because you think he's not in touch with the poor? How is he any different than the Clinton's? They live in Chappaqua, about as isolated from the poor as the Kennedy's were in Hyannisport or Palm Beach!

Getting rich by writing books that blame the country's ills on rich people is fine by you?

As to whether the book makes the author wealthy or not, I don't really care what someone writes in a book. So that they wrote the book and got rich from doing so is fine with me.
Most of the Clintons estimated fortune of $140 million came from lecture and consulting fees and only a small part of it came from writing their books. This was why Bernie Sanders was such a harsh critic of the Clintons alliances with wealthy financiers in America and with foreign interests eager for influence in America.

Where do the Obama's go on their vacations? Hawaii and Martha's Vineyard? Yeah, really touching out to their "base"!

Getting rich by writing books that blame the country's ills on rich people is fine by you?

As to whether the book makes the author wealthy or not, I don't really care what someone writes in a book. So that they wrote the book and got rich from doing so is fine with me.
Most of the Clintons estimated fortune of $140 million came from lecture and consulting fees and only a small part of it came from writing their books. This was why Bernie Sanders was such a harsh critic of the Clintons alliances with wealthy financiers in America and with foreign interests eager for influence in America.

Let's be honest here, Toomuch! Most of the Clinton's fortune came from selling political influence.

Let's be honest here, Toomuch! Most of the Clinton's fortune came from selling political influence.
A concern shared by Bernie Sanders and many, many others.

What?? I don't care that Trump or anyone else grew up in fortunate financial circumstances. I care whether one way or another they understand and accurately identify the circumstances faced by folks who weren't "to the manor born." Some of those super wealthy folks do; others do not. Trump is among those who have not and because he has not, he does not deserve to be believed when he claims he would be effective at boosting the fortunes and well being of "regular" citizens.

Off Topic:
I think you have some innate disdain for folks who "make it" in America. I have news for you, people come to America, came to America and remain in America because, in contrast with most other nations, "making it" is easy, even though it's not easy in an absolute sense of the word.

Be that as it may, the other member's remarks, and thus mine that you quoted, were with regard to the Obamas.

The Clinton's fortune came from selling their story of experiences in public life and from selling their own celebrity status as youngish former appointed and elected officials. They have made very good money doing little but being "in person" editorialists. That's what most honorary speakers do...they say a few nice words about their host and then remark upon the "state of something" as they see it, the crowd applauds and the speaker collects a check.

What?? I don't care that Trump or anyone else grew up in fortunate financial circumstances. I care whether one way or another they understand and accurately identify the circumstances faced by folks who weren't "to the manor born." Some of those super wealthy folks do; others do not. Trump is among those who have not and because he has not, he does not deserve to be believed when he claims he would be effective at boosting the fortunes and well being of "regular" citizens.

Off Topic:
I think you have some innate disdain for folks who "make it" in America. I have news for you, people come to America, came to America and remain in America because, in contrast with most other nations, "making it" is easy, even though it's not easy in an absolute sense of the word.
Clearly, Trump does understand the problems faced by both the middle class and poor people who were not "to the manor born." In his convention speech he made a point of saying exactly how he would help the poor and people who have worked for him have nearly all said he hired people on the basis of their merit and encourage them to grow and succeed to the limits of their potential. This is especially true of women who have worked for him who got the opportunity to rise to executive positions long before it became fashionable for politicians like Clinton to make empty promises about fighting for women's rights.

The Clinton's fortune came from selling their story of experiences in public life and from selling their own celebrity status as youngish former appointed and elected officials. They have made very good money doing little but being "in person" editorialists. That's what most honorary speakers do...they say a few nice words about their host and then remark upon the "state of something" as they see it, the crowd applauds and the speaker collects a check.
They did much more than that. As Secretary of State, Hillary facilitated the sale of Uranium One to Russia, giving Putin control over 20% of America's uranium production capacity in return for millions of dollars to the Clinton Foundation and a $500,000 fee to Bill for one speech. It is a fair bet that the purpose of the private email server was to facilitate more such deals and the deletion of the 33,000 emails was to cover up evidence of influence peddling by Secretary of State Clinton.

That's bullshit and you know it! The Clinton's took advantage of Hillary's position at the State Department and the possibility of her becoming President to rake in millions of dollars in speaking fees. No other former President has come close to making the kind of money that Bill Clinton has gotten paid by people seeking influence. Selling their life experience? Don't make me laugh!

They did much more than that. As Secretary of State, Hillary facilitated the sale of Uranium One to Russia, giving Putin control over 20% of America's uranium production capacity in return for millions of dollars to the Clinton Foundation and a $500,000 fee to Bill for one speech. It is a fair bet that the purpose of the private email server was to facilitate more such deals and the deletion of the 33,000 emails was to cover up evidence of influence peddling by Secretary of State Clinton.

And Goldman Sachs and the rest of Wall Street paid for Mrs. Clinton to talk about that? Get real.

Off Topic:

I have the utmost respect for people who came to America and made it through hard work. I have very little respect for people who use their political office to enrich themselves...especially when they do so while condemning the wealthy. I also have little respect for the Moore's and Jackson's of the world who turn activism into a cottage industry that brings them millions of dollars.

Forum List

Back