Trump: Have the Coronavirus, Go to Work and recover!

He did "normalize" it by saying a lot of people have been going to work with it and nothing bad happened. Some people who aren't well informed may take that to mean, "Hey, the President said a lot of people are going to work with it--just because I'm sick doesn't mean I need to stay home; lots of other people don't."

No, he never said "Go to work." His unfortunate turn of phrase made it sound like people CAN though. He really needs to leave this to Pence.

He simply said many see it is a cold and just go on with their lives and he is right.
A cold kills nobody, the flu kills 0.1 percent. This thing kills 3.4 percent of the people who contract it. This means if even 10 percent of the populace contracts it over a million will die.

If indeed people underestimate its seriousness than his job as president is to educate people on how wrong they are NOT, normalize it.
3.4% is exaggerated because that is from the people who tested + and who are in countries with inferior medicinal care and who already have underlying conditions. If you're healthy and not over 80 your recovery is ~99% guaranteed.
So what, even if true ( which, as you said, is a "hunch"), I also put the number of infected at 10 percent. Pretty optimistic if you ask me. Especially since it seems that you and the president are convinced it's just the flu As for it hitting only the elderly. That 3.4 is an average so that means that the mortality rate for the elderly is considerably higher. Do you have no family members who are elderly? I do. I wouldn't want them to catch it. Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

Every person who has it and simply continues its daily live risks spreading it to other people including the elderly. Are you arguing that simply because you might not be at risk you shouldn't be expected to take any responsibility for not spreading it?

Of course I do but I don't live with them. I am 39. So you're saying everyone with a cold should stay home? That is not going to happen unless the Gov't mandates it. Has the CDC stated that everyone with a common cold should stay home?
And you might not live with them but the incubation is at least 2 weeks. Plenty of time to infect your family.

Restate? I heard the interview. He never minimized virus.
If you say that your "instinct of the mortality rate is not 3.3 as the WHO suggests but rather less than 1 percent than that is minimizing it is it not?"
He said he had a hunch and explained his hunch and I agree with it.

YOU are defending the indefensible. Trump is a con man, a liar and not a epidemiologist. He pretends to be a know-it-all, and clearly he is well out his league on most issues.

In your opinion. Let me ask you this, am I allowed to have a disparate opinion.

Of course, as long as your opinions come with substance, thought and are thought provoking. Otherwise, such as defending trump, they need to come with all three of these elements.

Forget Trump.

#1) People who have colds and even milder forms of the flu will continue to go to work. Few if any will go and test themselves.

#2) Mono, Bronchitis, Pneumonia, etc. all a lot more dangerous. All cause more deaths.

#3) Older persons and or sick persons need to avoid the diseases in #2 as well as Corona.

Until the CDC says otherwise this is how I perceive it.

He simply said many see it is a cold and just go on with their lives and he is right.
A cold kills nobody, the flu kills 0.1 percent. This thing kills 3.4 percent of the people who contract it. This means if even 10 percent of the populace contracts it over a million will die.

If indeed people underestimate its seriousness than his job as president is to educate people on how wrong they are NOT, normalize it.
3.4% is exaggerated because that is from the people who tested + and who are in countries with inferior medicinal care and who already have underlying conditions. If you're healthy and not over 80 your recovery is ~99% guaranteed.
So what, even if true ( which, as you said, is a "hunch"), I also put the number of infected at 10 percent. Pretty optimistic if you ask me. Especially since it seems that you and the president are convinced it's just the flu As for it hitting only the elderly. That 3.4 is an average so that means that the mortality rate for the elderly is considerably higher. Do you have no family members who are elderly? I do. I wouldn't want them to catch it. Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

Every person who has it and simply continues its daily live risks spreading it to other people including the elderly. Are you arguing that simply because you might not be at risk you shouldn't be expected to take any responsibility for not spreading it?

Of course I do but I don't live with them. I am 39. So you're saying everyone with a cold should stay home? That is not going to happen unless the Gov't mandates it. Has the CDC stated that everyone with a common cold should stay home?
Not a cold but the flu most definitely wich is how Corona's initial symptoms are described. actually the CDC does recommend staying at home if you have the flu that is their job. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pdf/freeresources/updated/stay-home-from-work-poster.pdf

I agree, if you have a fever you should stay home but not everyone with the Covid-19 will have a fever.

And you might not live with them but the incubation is at least 2 weeks. Plenty of time to infect your family.

Infect with what? Is the Virus in Boston?

[

Not a cold but the flu most definitely wich is how Corona's initial symptoms are described. actually the CDC does recommend staying at home if you have the flu that is their job. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pdf/freeresources/updated/stay-home-from-work-poster.pdf

I agree, if you have a fever you should stay home but not everyone with the Covid-19 will have a fever.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
These are the symptoms described. (Note cold symptoms are NOT included) you including them are a strawman.
It most definitely adds staying home as what you should do. At no point does it suggests you should go to work with it.

I don't know and neither do you, since as I said it has a 2 week incubation period and it is on the East Coast atm. In a place that has road rail and air access to Boston. For the record, I certainly hope not.

[

These are the symptoms described. (Note cold symptoms are NOT included) you including them are a strawman.
It most definitely adds staying home as what you should do. At no point does it suggests you should go to work with it.

IT says this: So if I don't have those symptoms (shortness of breath and such) and don't know anyone with the COV-19 nor traveled to those countries, I should be able to go to work if I have the sniffles. Correct?

Call your doctor if you…

Develop symptoms, and have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19

OR

Have recently traveled from an area with widespread or ongoing community spread of COVID-19.

I don't know and neither do you, since as I said it has a 2 week incubation period and it is on the East Coast atm. In a place that has road rail and air access to Boston. For the record, I certainly hope not.

Per your own link I am not at risk? LOL

You cannot have it both ways.

[

IT says this: So if I don't have those symptoms (shortness of breath and such) and don't know anyone with the COV-19 nor traveled to those countries, I should be able to go to work if I have the sniffles. Correct?

Call your doctor if you…

Develop symptoms, and have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19

OR

Have recently traveled from an area with widespread or ongoing community spread of COVID-19.
Sure if you have cold symptoms go to work. Oh, and by the way, Massachusets have got it first confirmed case and 2 more possible.Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Boston

What both ways. Did I ever suggest you should just stay at home? The whole argument was if it is appropriate for the president of the United States to minimize the severity of Corona and normalize going to work while being affected. The rabbit hole you steered this conversation to is just a deflection.

[

Call your doctor if you…

OR

Sure if you have cold symptoms go to work. Oh, and by the way, Massachusets have got it first confirmed case and 2 more possible.Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Boston

From your link:

The risk to residents in Boston remains low because there is no evidence of community transmission in the City right now.

What both ways. Did I ever suggest you should just stay at home? The whole argument was if it is appropriate for the president of the United States to minimize the severity of Corona and normalize going to work while being affected. The rabbit hole you steered this conversation to is just a deflection.

I do not believe he minimized it. He just didn't exaggerate it. 99% of the people in the US who get this will recover unless they have underlying conditions. If persons follow CDS procedures they will be fine.

Symptoms of this infection include fever, cough and difficulty breathing or shortness of breath. The illness causes lung lesions and pneumonia. But milder cases may resemble the flu or a bad cold, making detection difficult.

Read the last sentence. This is from the CDC. That’s all he was saying. The # of actual cases may be under reported as people may just think they have a bad cold.
Does not mean you are not contagious.

Go to work & get everyone sick is piss poor advice.

[

Call your doctor if you…

OR

From your link:

The risk to residents in Boston remains low because there is no evidence of community transmission in the City right now.
Sure, the operative word is right now. As I said before it has a 2 week incubation period, it's obviously spreading throughout the US and the world. What leads you to believe Boston will NOT be affected? And again the conversation was if its ok to go to work if you have it.

Symptoms of this infection include fever, cough and difficulty breathing or shortness of breath. The illness causes lung lesions and pneumonia. But milder cases may resemble the flu or a bad cold, making detection difficult.

Read the last sentence. This is from the CDC. That’s all he was saying. The # of actual cases may be under reported as people may just think they have a bad cold.
Does not mean you are not contagious.

Go to work & get everyone sick is piss poor advice.

He never said that. He said people go to work with bad colds and they do. I agree that they shouldn't. For 100s of years people have, however.

[

Call your doctor if you…

OR

From your link:

Sure, the operative word is right now. As I said before it has a 2 week incubation period, it's obviously spreading throughout the US and the world. What leads you to believe Boston will NOT be affected? And again the conversation was if its ok to go to work if you have it.

If you definitely have it then you need to follow CDC protocols but if you just have a cold, you're safe to do what you normally do.

I see Mr Low Rick cancelled a t rip to the CDC because of the risk.

If the Coronavirus continues to spread., at least we will get rid of the uninformed, feeble minded MAGA wearing morons who ignore all the warnings & actually believe what their irange leader says.

I do not believe he minimized it. He just didn't exaggerate it. 99% of the people in the US who get this will recover unless they have underlying conditions. If persons follow CDS procedures they will be fine.
actually, it is currtently 96.5%.

actually, it is currtently 96.5%.

I said "unless they have underlying conditions"....

Yes and 8 percent who have underlying conditions will die. And I love how you are now prepared to put a number on your "hunch". By the way, 1 percent of the US is 3.2 million. At 10 percent that's 320000 people. It seems not something you should take lightly.

The only thing that helps in something like this is social isolation. If Trump says it's mortality is "a fraction of 1 percent" or "it's a hoax", or "people go to work while infected" WITHOUT saying they really shouldn't he IS minimizing it.

And who is exaggerating it? The WHO, the Democrats, the media? Maybe if I put this in perspective it'll be clearer. The Spanish Flu had a mortality rate of 2 to 3 percent it killed 25 to 39 million people. This on a population of 1.8 billion.
We have 7.7 billion people now. Not for nothing seems hard to exaggerate the potential consequences of this.

Forum List

Back