Trump:"I will mandate the death penalty for anyone who kills a police officer" Can he?

Trump thinks he is Kim Jong Un and can order the death penalty on anyone

One of the first things I do, in terms of executive order if I win, will be to sign a strong, strong statement that will go out to the country — out to the world — that anybody killing a policeman, policewoman, a police officer — anybody killing a police officer, the death penalty. It’s going to happen, OK?” Trump said in brief remarks to the several hundred police union members gathered for the endorsement.
Donald Trump says if elected, he would mandate death penalty for convicted cop killers

Is it possible?
The United States federal government (in comparison to the separate states) applies the death penalty for crimes: treason, terrorism, espionage, federal murder, large-scale drug trafficking, and attempting to kill a witness, juror, or court officer in certain cases. Military law allows execution of soldiers for several crimes. Executions by the federal government have been rare compared to those by state governments. Twenty-six federal (including military) executions have been carried out since 1950. Three of those (none of them military) have occurred in the modern post-Gregg era. This list only includes those executed under federal jurisdiction. The Federal Bureau of Prisons manages the housing and execution of federal death row prisoners. As of January 19, 2014, fifty-nine people are on the federal death row for men at the Federal Correctional Complex in Terre Haute, Indiana; while the two women on the federal death row are at Federal Medical Center, Carswell in Fort Worth, Texas.[1] Capital punishment by the United States federal government - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trump may try as Obama has Executive Orders to do so but he may not have to! When the rest of law-abiding citizens understand that what Trump wants is what the rest of us want, Congress will go along and
abide by adding to the above crimes,i.e. killing a law enforcement officer.

This guy sounds more and more just like the fascists of the mid 20th century. He seems to have in his head that he gets to become a form of dictator if elected. And make no mistake, there is a large portion of the Republican party that would welcome a dictator as long as he lords power over those they would also like to lord power over.

Who knows? Maybe the dictator will repeal the law that forces everybody to buy health insurance whether they want it or not.

He can't, sorry Charlie.

But you demonstrated my point very clearly. There are a large number of conservatives that would welcome 'their kind' of dictator.

He can't? Who's stopping him? He'll have a Republican Congress and Senate to work with. They'll be glad to get rid of Commie Care once and for all.
This is the sort of partisan stupidity common to those who support the likes of Trump.

Where is the partisan stupidity? Are you not in favor of supporting our law enforcement officers? I bet you mumble the catchy phrase put out by the
blacklivesmatter crowd...‘Pigs In A Blanket, Fry ‘Em Like Bacon’
http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/29/black-lives-matter-protesters-chant-pigs-in-a-blanket-fry-em-like-bacon-video/#ixzz3uDpCUbUQ

Read more: [URL="http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/29/black-lives-matter-protesters-chant-pigs-in-a-blanket-fry-em-like-bacon-video/#ixzz3uDpCUbUQ"]Black Lives Matter Protesters Chant: ‘Pigs In A Blanket, Fry ‘Em Like Bacon’ [VIDEO]
[/URL]

Another ridiculous lie, as no such law exists.

You might have missed it, but they passed Obamacare like six years ago. Can't blame you for not knowing what's in the law, though. We had to pass it so we could read it. Turns out it sucks.
The ACA doesn't 'force' anyone to have health insurance if he doesn't want it.

If one so desires he may opt to have no health insurance and instead pay a tax each year.

If he refuses to pay the tax the ACA authorizes no further action by the government; indeed, the Act prohibits punitive action against those who refuse to pay the tax – absent garnishment of one's income tax refund.

This notion that the ACA 'forces' Americans to have health insurance is another ridiculous lie contrived by the partisan right – just as ridiculous as Trump's 'proposal' in the OP.

"Trump:"I will mandate the death penalty for anyone who kills a police officer" Can he?"

No.
And that's because YOU SAY SO???
Come on get a little less Napoleonic!
The Constitution says so (see New York v. United States(1992)).

The Federal government cannot compel the states to enforce Federal law, or in this case a Federal EO – the states alone are authorized to try and convict those who violate state laws, such as murder, and enact penalties pursuant to state law.

You might have missed it, but they passed Obamacare like six years ago. Can't blame you for not knowing what's in the law, though. We had to pass it so we could read it. Turns out it sucks.

If one so desires he may opt to have no health insurance and instead pay a tax each year.

If he refuses to pay the tax the ACA authorizes no further action by the government; indeed, the Act prohibits punitive action against those who refuse to pay the tax – absent garnishment of one's income tax refund.

This notion that the ACA 'forces' Americans to have health insurance is another ridiculous lie contrived by the partisan right – just as ridiculous as Trump's 'proposal' in the OP.

Right, just do as you are told or we take your hard earned money away from you. No, that's not force. How silly of me.

Let me ask: if the government stated they will take your house away from you if you don't buy healthcare insurance, that wouldn't be force either, huh?

One of the first things I do, in terms of executive order if I win, will be to sign a strong, strong statement that will go out to the country — out to the world — that anybody killing a policeman, policewoman, a police officer — anybody killing a police officer, the death penalty. It’s going to happen, OK?” Trump said in brief remarks to the several hundred police union members gathered for the endorsement.
Donald Trump says if elected, he would mandate death penalty for convicted cop killers

Is it possible?
The United States federal government (in comparison to the separate states) applies the death penalty for crimes: treason, terrorism, espionage, federal murder, large-scale drug trafficking, and attempting to kill a witness, juror, or court officer in certain cases. Military law allows execution of soldiers for several crimes. Executions by the federal government have been rare compared to those by state governments. Twenty-six federal (including military) executions have been carried out since 1950. Three of those (none of them military) have occurred in the modern post-Gregg era. This list only includes those executed under federal jurisdiction. The Federal Bureau of Prisons manages the housing and execution of federal death row prisoners. As of January 19, 2014, fifty-nine people are on the federal death row for men at the Federal Correctional Complex in Terre Haute, Indiana; while the two women on the federal death row are at Federal Medical Center, Carswell in Fort Worth, Texas.[1] Capital punishment by the United States federal government - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trump may try as Obama has Executive Orders to do so but he may not have to! When the rest of law-abiding citizens understand that what Trump wants is what the rest of us want, Congress will go along and

This guy sounds more and more just like the fascists of the mid 20th century. He seems to have in his head that he gets to become a form of dictator if elected. And make no mistake, there is a large portion of the Republican party that would welcome a dictator as long as he lords power over those they would also like to lord power over.

Who knows? Maybe the dictator will repeal the law that forces everybody to buy health insurance whether they want it or not.

He can't, sorry Charlie.

But you demonstrated my point very clearly. There are a large number of conservatives that would welcome 'their kind' of dictator.

He can't? Who's stopping him? He'll have a Republican Congress and Senate to work with. They'll be glad to get rid of Commie Care once and for all.
This is the sort of partisan stupidity common to those who support the likes of Trump.

Oh, and the passage of Commie Care wasn't partisan stupidity? No Republican voted for it and they all expressed their opposition.

Right, just do as you are told or we take your hard earned money away from you. No, that's not force. How silly of me.

Let me ask: if the government stated they will take your house away from you if you don't buy healthcare insurance, that wouldn't be force either, huh?

The government forces you to do stuff. Get over it. That's why we have democratic government,

so we can democratically put up a stop sign and FORCE you to stop.

A better question is, will the Right-wing "States Rightists" among the Trump supporters object????
There are a number of states that do not allow the death penalty.

Is it possible?

I'm sure it's possible for the federal government to pass laws for sentencing mandates. But being able to do something is not the same as it being a good idea. This is yet another thing that bothers me about Trump: he seems to have a rather leftist view of the appropriate scope of federal power in too many regards.

Is it possible?

If the crime is the cold blooded killing of a police officer, then yes I agree with Trump.. It will be good if he can get it done, because the cold blooded killing of those who choose voluntarily to uphold the law and keep us safe, should be met with the death penalty absolutely.

Since murder, even of police officers, is a state-level crime, not federal, is it appropriate for the federal government to intervene and meddle in prosecution and sentencing?

Is it possible?

He can't, sorry Charlie.

If it takes a dictator to roll back what the left had done to this country, then the thought might actually be a good one. Ha the left would be the ones who fear him most, and the way their going after him says it all... Trump is not out to kill the golden goose, but the left has sure done a grand job of it.

And logic and reason have left the building.

"It's a good thing, and I approve of it, so that makes it right for the federal government to do it."

Where have I heard that type of thinking before?

Is it possible?

Obama wanted to be a dictator so bad he could taste it.
Well, he better hurry up...he's been President for 7+ years and no dictatorial powers yet.

Is it possible?

If the crime is the cold blooded killing of a police officer, then yes I agree with Trump.. It will be good if he can get it done, because the cold blooded killing of those who choose voluntarily to uphold the law and keep us safe, should be met with the death penalty absolutely.

Since murder, even of police officers, is a state-level crime, not federal, is it appropriate for the federal government to intervene and meddle in prosecution and sentencing?
Remember...these are the people that up to now, were for a smaller federal government. Of course, we also knew they were lying.

Cons you better get used to it, healthcare is here to stay.

But how angry it must make you that human beings can get medical care when ill. What is the world coming to. You'd think Jesus himself were running our government.

Is it possible?

No

Cons you better get used to it, healthcare is here to stay.

But how angry it must make you that human beings can get medical care when ill. What is the world coming to. You'd think Jesus himself were running our government.

Jesus didn't believe in stealing from one to give to the other. He expected his followers to give of their own free will. Maybe you're confusing Jesus with Robin Hood somehow.

A better question is, will the Right-wing "States Rightists" among the Trump supporters object????
There are a number of states that do not allow the death penalty.

This is true, but that wouldn't stop Congress from making police killings a federal crime. Then they could probably do as they please.

This isn't the first time somebody suggested the federal government stick their nose in a local affair. I seem to remember a lot of activity (including speeches by Hussein) in the Trayvon Martin, Ferguson and even Baltimore cases. And let's not forget who took states to court for creating their own immigration policies.

Forum List

Back