Trump:"I will mandate the death penalty for anyone who kills a police officer" Can he?

One of the first things I do, in terms of executive order if I win, will be to sign a strong, strong statement that will go out to the country — out to the world — that anybody killing a policeman, policewoman, a police officer — anybody killing a police officer, the death penalty. It’s going to happen, OK?” Trump said in brief remarks to the several hundred police union members gathered for the endorsement.
Donald Trump says if elected, he would mandate death penalty for convicted cop killers

Is it possible?
The United States federal government (in comparison to the separate states) applies the death penalty for crimes: treason, terrorism, espionage, federal murder, large-scale drug trafficking, and attempting to kill a witness, juror, or court officer in certain cases. Military law allows execution of soldiers for several crimes. Executions by the federal government have been rare compared to those by state governments. Twenty-six federal (including military) executions have been carried out since 1950. Three of those (none of them military) have occurred in the modern post-Gregg era. This list only includes those executed under federal jurisdiction. The Federal Bureau of Prisons manages the housing and execution of federal death row prisoners. As of January 19, 2014, fifty-nine people are on the federal death row for men at the Federal Correctional Complex in Terre Haute, Indiana; while the two women on the federal death row are at Federal Medical Center, Carswell in Fort Worth, Texas.[1] Capital punishment by the United States federal government - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trump may try as Obama has Executive Orders to do so but he may not have to! When the rest of law-abiding citizens understand that what Trump wants is what the rest of us want, Congress will go along and
abide by adding to the above crimes,i.e. killing a law enforcement officer.

I'm sure it's possible for the federal government to pass laws for sentencing mandates. But being able to do something is not the same as it being a good idea. This is yet another thing that bothers me about Trump: he seems to have a rather leftist view of the appropriate scope of federal power in too many regards.
I do not think you can really say it is a 'leftist' view of the scope of government anymore. It has become apparent that the right is on board with a massive scope of government now.

So when the jackbooted thugs from the ATF come through your door looking for your illegal weapons,

will you RWnuts give them a taste of that 2nd amendment remedy, even knowing that President Trump is going to give you the needle for it?

eh?

So a cops life is worth more than ,well anyone else's??!! You kill this guy you die,the other might no!! Where the hell is equal under the law with that?

Another ridiculous lie, as no such law exists.

You might have missed it, but they passed Obamacare like six years ago. Can't blame you for not knowing what's in the law, though. We had to pass it so we could read it. Turns out it sucks.
The ACA doesn't 'force' anyone to have health insurance if he doesn't want it.

If one so desires he may opt to have no health insurance and instead pay a tax each year.

If he refuses to pay the tax the ACA authorizes no further action by the government; indeed, the Act prohibits punitive action against those who refuse to pay the tax – absent garnishment of one's income tax refund.

This notion that the ACA 'forces' Americans to have health insurance is another ridiculous lie contrived by the partisan right – just as ridiculous as Trump's 'proposal' in the OP.

Right, just do as you are told or we take your hard earned money away from you. No, that's not force. How silly of me.

Let me ask: if the government stated they will take your house away from you if you don't buy healthcare insurance, that wouldn't be force either, huh?

The government forces you to do stuff. Get over it. That's why we have democratic government,

so we can democratically put up a stop sign and FORCE you to stop.

Happens all the time. I'm a local truck driver and I've been stopped several times for not wearing my seat belt. Mind you our state law only allows officers to pull you over for a violation other than seat belts as it is a secondary offense. But the federal government overrules our state law because they say we are under federal regulations.

This is not to mention the feds can pull you over anytime they desire. You don't have to be doing anything wrong. They can pull you over for no reason, check your cab, check under the hood of your vehicle, check inside of the trailer, all with no warrant or reasonable suspicion. Some liberal court somewhere ruled that truck drivers are not afforded the protections of our US Constitution. Terrorists are, but not Americans driving trucks.

So a cops life is worth more than ,well anyone else's??!! You kill this guy you die,the other might no!! Where the hell is equal under the law with that?

Good question. Sort of makes you think about Hate Crime laws, doesn't it?

What are hate crime laws? Hate crimes are when a potential Democrat voter (gays, women, minorities) is attacked. The attacker under hate crime laws gets more severe sentencing, and yes, including the death penalty.

Life isn't fair, is it?

What are hate crime laws? Hate crimes are when a potential Democrat voter (gays, women, minorities) is attacked. The attacker under hate crime laws gets more severe sentencing, and yes, including the death penalty.

Life isn't fair, is it?
Nope not one bit

Life isn't fair, is it?

That's not the definition of hate crime laws . They cover white people too Ya know !

Will we still have to pay Congress and the Supreme Court if Trump is elected? Seems like Trump is gonna save us money right off the bat.

Life isn't fair, is it?

That's not the definition of hate crime laws . They cover white people too Ya know !

The Supreme Court case that ruled that hate crime laws were constitutional involved a black man charged with a hate crime against a white victim.

Find one conservative in a hundred who already knew that. Good luck.

Life isn't fair, is it?

The Supreme Court case that ruled that hate crime laws were constitutional involved a black man charged with a hate crime against a white victim.

Life isn't fair, is it?

Yeah, because the white guy was gay.

If President Trump has a phone and a pen, why the Hell not?

Precedent is a bitch liberals!

Can he?

Does it matter. There is 0.00 chance any of his ideas will come to pass and he's leading the polls.

He's living proof of the old adage that there is a sucker born every minute and is the leading indicator that whomever said that was low-balling the number substantially.

One of the first things I do, in terms of executive order if I win, will be to sign a strong, strong statement that will go out to the country — out to the world — that anybody killing a policeman, policewoman, a police officer — anybody killing a police officer, the death penalty. It’s going to happen, OK?” Trump said in brief remarks to the several hundred police union members gathered for the endorsement.
Donald Trump says if elected, he would mandate death penalty for convicted cop killers

Is it possible?
The United States federal government (in comparison to the separate states) applies the death penalty for crimes: treason, terrorism, espionage, federal murder, large-scale drug trafficking, and attempting to kill a witness, juror, or court officer in certain cases. Military law allows execution of soldiers for several crimes. Executions by the federal government have been rare compared to those by state governments. Twenty-six federal (including military) executions have been carried out since 1950. Three of those (none of them military) have occurred in the modern post-Gregg era. This list only includes those executed under federal jurisdiction. The Federal Bureau of Prisons manages the housing and execution of federal death row prisoners. As of January 19, 2014, fifty-nine people are on the federal death row for men at the Federal Correctional Complex in Terre Haute, Indiana; while the two women on the federal death row are at Federal Medical Center, Carswell in Fort Worth, Texas.[1] Capital punishment by the United States federal government - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trump may try as Obama has Executive Orders to do so but he may not have to! When the rest of law-abiding citizens understand that what Trump wants is what the rest of us want, Congress will go along and

This guy sounds more and more just like the fascists of the mid 20th century. He seems to have in his head that he gets to become a form of dictator if elected. And make no mistake, there is a large portion of the Republican party that would welcome a dictator as long as he lords power over those they would also like to lord power over.

Who knows? Maybe the dictator will repeal the law that forces everybody to buy health insurance whether they want it or not.

He can't, sorry Charlie.

But you demonstrated my point very clearly. There are a large number of conservatives that would welcome 'their kind' of dictator.
If it takes a dictator to roll back what the left had done to this country, then the thought might actually be a good one. Ha the left would be the ones who fear him most, and the way their going after him says it all... Trump is not out to kill the golden goose, but the left has sure done a grand job of it.

It took a dictator to do what the left has done to this country, how many laws has Obama broken and ignored now? How many times has he ignored the will of the people and our representatives in congress with his phone and pen?

A better question is, will the Right-wing "States Rightists" among the Trump supporters object????
There are a number of states that do not allow the death penalty.

This is true, but that wouldn't stop Congress from making police killings a federal crime. Then they could probably do as they please.

This isn't the first time somebody suggested the federal government stick their nose in a local affair. I seem to remember a lot of activity (including speeches by Hussein) in the Trayvon Martin, Ferguson and even Baltimore cases. And let's not forget who took states to court for creating their own immigration policies.

Can't see any reason or benefit to making it a federal crime. And I definitely don't subscribe to "Two wrongs make a right".

Is it possible?

I'm sure it's possible for the federal government to pass laws for sentencing mandates. But being able to do something is not the same as it being a good idea. This is yet another thing that bothers me about Trump: he seems to have a rather leftist view of the appropriate scope of federal power in too many regards.
I do not think you can really say it is a 'leftist' view of the scope of government anymore. It has become apparent that the right is on board with a massive scope of government now.

It's still leftist-think, the fact that it infects people like a virus notwithstanding.

Life isn't fair, is it?

Life isn't fair, is it?

Yeah, because the white guy was gay.

You are comically retarded.

"Respondent Todd Mitchell's sentence for aggravated battery was enhanced because he intentionally selected his victim on account of the victim's race. The question presented in this case is whether this penalty enhancement is prohibited by the First and Fourteenth Amendments. We hold that it is not.

On the evening of October 7, 1989, a group of young black men and boys, including Mitchell, gathered at an apartment [508 U.S. 476, 480] complex in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Several members of the group discussed a scene from the motion picture "Mississippi Burning" in which a white man beat a young black boy who was praying. The group moved outside and Mitchell asked them: "`Do you all feel hyped up to move on some white people?'" Brief for Petitioner 4. Shortly thereafter, a young white boy approached the group on the opposite side of the street where they were standing. As the boy walked by, Mitchell said: "`You all want to fuck somebody up? There goes a white boy; go get him.'" Id. at 4-5. Mitchell counted to three and pointed in the boy's direction. The group ran toward the boy, beat him severely, and stole his tennis shoes. The boy was rendered unconscious and remained in a coma for four days."

- See more at: FindLaw's United States Supreme Court case and opinions.

Forum List

Back