Trump is right we already have too many languages here

Because it is essential to social, economic, civic, and political life in this country. Just about every non-native English speaker within our borders (and countless millions outside them) is working hard to learn or improve their English. Most native-born Americans take maybe two years of Spanish or French in high school. English is, and will remain, the dominant language in this country.

You just came full circle from common language is over rated, to it being essential. Make up your mind.

Are they all 'working hard' when they're out and about, shopping and eating, but still speaking their native language?

You must live in the sticks.

Oh I am, they're being born and bred that way, or paid a lot to think and spout what they do.

But you didn't like my post about teachers and their propensity to be on the left, ...
Because it was an ignorant generalization.

You just came full circle from common language is over rated, to it being essential. ....
No circle, a straight line. English IS essential to life in America. That is NOTHING like "you can't speak any other language!"

No circle, a straight line. English IS essential to life in America. That is NOTHING like "you can't speak any other language!"

No one was saying what you have in quotes, so apparently you created your own strawman and have been fighting it the entire time.
You've been defending the fact that no national language is necessary for a cohesive society, if that wasn't your intent, then you failed to articulate that until just now.

Are they all 'working hard' when they're out and about, shopping and eating, but still speaking their native language?

You must live in the sticks.
If they're not talking TO you, it's none of your damn business what language they speak. I'm a native English speaker and I speak other languages out in public all the time. When I need to interact with someone I assume speaks only English, I speak English of course. I've seen ignorant jerks make ugly faces when they hear two ladies in the checkout line speaking whatever, but I have never had anyone tell ME to speak only English out in public. Hmmm...I wonder why that is?

And I live and work in the opposite of the sticks.

I speak Spanish pretty well because I chose to learn it and apply it around DC
Libs wil Require all of you to become near fluent so that it will be fairer and easier for illegal Hispanics,

You've been defending the fact that no national language is necessary for a cohesive society,...
We have never had a national language and we've been doing pretty well for a long time now.

Libs wil Require all of you to become near fluent so that it will be fairer and easier for illegal Hispanics,
No they won't. Calm down.

If they're not talking TO you, it's none of your damn business what language they speak. I'm a native English speaker and I speak other languages out in public all the time. When I need to interact with someone I assume speaks only English, I speak English of course. I've seen ignorant jerks make ugly faces when they hear two ladies in the checkout line speaking whatever, but I have never had anyone tell ME to speak only English out in public. Hmmm...I wonder why that is?

And I live and work in the opposite of the sticks.

Did I say it was my business? You have to make it a personal insult because you have no other objective argument. My point was that the comment you made that they're 'working hard' to learn the language or use it is complete and utter bullshit. They only use it when they have to, there is no attempt to learn or assimilate to a new culture or language. They will continue to use their native lanuage for everything. You completely ignored my post pointing out that South America was not spanish speaking natively, and you're a naive fool to believe that the US will remain an English speaking country. Not that you would care, cause clearly you don't.

Freedom of speech!

As long as it's in English..... :lmao:

Fucking MAGAts man... they never stop finding ways to amuse.

We have never had a national language and we've been doing pretty well for a long time now.

Because the majority, up until this point, have spoken the same language. And those that came over in the 1700-1800's actively pursued learning English and used it as their every day language.

Bologna... foreign language teaching is undervalued tho

Forum List

Back