Trump PRAISES General Lee at OHIO Campaign Rally = WTF?

Trump: 'Robert E. Lee was a great general'

POTUS Trump went on an extended rant praising Civil War era Confederate General Robert E. Lee during a campaign rally before an Ohio audience.

"So Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldn’t beat Robert E. Lee."

"He was going crazy. I don’t know if you know this story. But Robert E. Lee was winning battle after battle after battle. And Abraham Lincoln came home, he said, 'I can’t beat Robert E. Lee,' " Trump said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems odd that Trump chose an Ohio audience to be the recipient of such a strange rant, considering that many prominent Union Army members came from Ohio, General Grant being likely the most notable.

I don't believe Ohioans know shit about Civil War history but it sure seems surreal for any POTUS to be heaping praise on General Lee in old Union Army territory. And this is going on in 2018. WTF?

WTF is Trump doing; Quaaludes, Mary Jane, both, more?
Isn't it time to :bigboy:and add an update to your OP?

If our POTUS actually knew how to communicate effectively, and could actually utilize the English language correctly, none of the confusion would have ensued.
I said it before more than once & I will say it again: Trump either has some really shitty speech writers, or he just spews crap to see where it sticks; maybe both.

Lee was a great general, wanted by the Union army but who remained loyal to his state. He was almost an unbeatable tactician / general.

That being said...

POTUS Trump went on an extended rant praising Civil War era Confederate General Robert E. Lee during a campaign rally before an Ohio audience.

"So Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldn’t beat Robert E. Lee."

"He was going crazy. I don’t know if you know this story. But Robert E. Lee was winning battle after battle after battle. And Abraham Lincoln came home, he said, 'I can’t beat Robert E. Lee,' " Trump said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems odd that Trump chose an Ohio audience to be the recipient of such a strange rant, considering that many prominent Union Army members came from Ohio, General Grant being likely the most notable.

I don't believe Ohioans know shit about Civil War history but it sure seems surreal for any POTUS to be heaping praise on General Lee in old Union Army territory. And this is going on in 2018. WTF?

Wow, this is the epitome of dishonesty from the left. If this cock had actually listened to what trump said at the rally and got it straight from the horses mouth (instead of relying on the clickbait media), caddo kid would’ve discovered that the hero in trumps historically accurate story was general grant, not Robert e lee. who was the villain.

The generals of the south, like Robert E lee and Stonewall Jackson, were absolute brilliant tactictions. This is undeniable since the North had every single advantage in their favor in the Civil War. They heavily outnumbered, outgunned, and were technologically superior to the south. Yet the south handed the north’s asses to them on a platter in every single battle, up until general grant took over. Grants whole strategy was to make it a war of attrition, and basically just not make a mistake and break even with the south because he had superior numbers, weapons, and production ability. Grant took over (I’m pretty sure) at the battle of Antietam. At this point victory for the south was almost certain, and they were beginning their offensive to surround D.C. and force the north to surrender. At Antietam, Grant held the south to a draw, which for him was a win in a war of attrition. The south then changed things up and decided to come at DC from the north in Pennsylvania. This is where Gettysburg happened (I would say tied for #1 most important battle in American history with the battle of midway), where the north just barely held off the south by the skin of their teeth. Had the south won, they would’ve forced the north to surrender. But the south took such heavy losses, they could no longer win the war, the north could only loose it by making a mistake, which general grant was not going to do.

To say that general Lee was a good General is true, he was really freaking good at what he did. Just like Rommel was a undeniably brilliant General for the Nazis. Interestingly enough, Rommel and other nazi generals heavily studied the south’s tactics in the civil war, and it is where they borrowed a lot of strategy that later became the blitzkrieg strategy that straight up dominated anything and everything up until the US got involved. That’s how brilliant the generals of the south were. Saying they were brilliant tactitions doesn’t mean they were fighting for a good cause, as if that had to be clarified. But apparently it does in this fucked up world we’re living in now where people gain their knowledge from clickbait...

Caddo Kid, if your sources are really this dishonest about shit, you REALLY need to start questioning those sources, and verifying for yourself, so that you don’t look like an assclown. It’s beyond funny what y’all have been getting duped with, it’s officially to the point of it being sad and concerning. CRTICICAL THINKING PEOPLE, use it, it’s important.

this, coming from the claimed law student that can't even read the first paragraph of an article & get his shit straight? :206:
Hey jack weed, you’re article is purposefully deceptive. Trump went on to praise general grant in the story, Grant was undeniably the hero in Trumps story. Lee was also a great general, that’s very freaking historically accurate, it’s basically common knowledge. So you’re article only highlighted everything good trump said about Lee, and then chose to only highlight 2 things he said about Grant, one was Grants drinking problem (also historically accurate), and then a quick line saying he kicked everyone’s asses. That’s the extent of what you’re article highlights. Clearly there’s an agenda there to paint trump as a racist Robert E Lee supporter, when he was clearly a supporter of Grant, not Lee. You have to be schizophrenic to defend a clearly deceptive article like this.

Is your claim that Robert E Lee was not a great general? I suppose Lee just kept getting lucky in every single battle up until he faced Grant? You need to lay off the lead paint chips.

you need to do MUCH BETTER in law school; I bet your grades suck because you can't even get the first paragraph of the article correct.

Who will you be defending if you ever pass the bar exam? Folks with parking tickets? :206:
My grades are good, and I’m going to law school for free so I can do whatever the fuck I want since I don’t have to worry about paying back debt. It’s a good position to be in. Do you have anything more specific to refute outside of vague trolling. Name one thing. Here’s the first paragraph of your article

President Trump praised Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee as "a great general" on Friday during a campaign rally in Lebanon, Ohio.”

What’s in that besides the obvious bias you’re citing?

He doesn’t think so. He’s gonna ride this thing with all four tires blown out, rims spraying sparks like it’s the 4th of July all the way to fantasy land.

If our POTUS actually knew how to communicate effectively, and could actually utilize the English language correctly, none of the confusion would have ensued.
I said it before more than once & I will say it again: Trump either has some really shitty speech writers, or he just spews crap to see where it sticks; maybe both.
Try this.

What confusion is there? He made a reference to history. If someone was here that did not know that portion of history, their confusion is not the President's fault.

The only people confused about this speech are the ones like you, who get their news from clickbait media, and lack incredibly basic knowledge concerning the civil war. Trump was surprisingly historically accurate in his characterization of the civil war. Lee was a brilliant general and almost won despite the North having every advantage. Up until grant came along. Love how in your OP you were actually dense enough to ask “why didn’t trump talk about General Grant, who was actually from Ohio.” It was a whole fucking speech highlighting Grant for Ohio. YOU GOT DUPED, stop acting childish and just admit, “I will believe any dumb ass story, as long as it shits on Trump, and just quite possibly that’s not a good thing.”

If you had actually listened to the entire speech, tell me, whose the hero in trumps story??

NBC's beyond dishonest reporting on this makes you want to toss the TV. But there is a lot to dislike in Trump's telling of this thing. he is not being remotely accurate, but he is trying to tell a story. And the point he is making is a valid one.

Part of the problem is in order to make Grant as great as he was, he needs to build up Lee. And the generals who surrounded Lincoln did have too much respect for Lee. Lee wasn't that good, but the generals Lincoln appointed, MacCleland, Hooker, Burnside, were that bad. Lee beat them all resoundingly. If Lee was that great the theory goes, Grant is substantially better. Which is the point Trump was making.

The second point he was making was these generals didn't know what they were doing. Lee knew what his goal was. So did Grant. The others were clueless.

As a history major, this was horrible. Crazy. The worst thing. As story telling to make a point, this was the best since Aesop

Funny really

Trump has a third grade perception of history
He talks to people like they have no idea of who Grant and Lee were

As history it would cause grief.

But what Trump was saying was Lincoln had put up general after general. MacCllelan, Hooker, Burnside, Meade all were defective for what Lincoln wanted. He was told not to choose grant. He was a drunk . He was an embarrassment. Orders #10 caused huge heartaches. But Lincoln chose Grant. And grant won the war.

This Trumpian story was not quite accurate. Grant was doing terrific things in the west, and Lincoln didn't have really great generals there either.
What Lincoln did was put Grant in the position of Lt General in charge of everything and had him in charge of strategy and tactics and no one could give him any back chat.

For trump to get his story across what he he wanted to tell, Lee had to be a great general. Lee was better than Macclellan, Burnside, Hooker & Meade. Lee was great, but Grant was Greater.

Now as far as Lee being great, I disagree. He was a berserker with great luitenants. Stuart, Jackson, & Longstreet saved Lee's bacon repeatedly. Lee just got his soldiers killed for no good reason at Antitiam and Gettysburg. But for Trump's story, he had to be Great. Because Grant had to be shown so his greatness would be in finer relief.

Remember what the story was on Grant. In 1861 he was a useless character. In 1864 he was in charge of all the armies. Despite his failings.

Trump is telling a story to people who knew the man better than he did. He was making a point. He wasn't making a history paper on Grant or Lee. He was making the point that despite his failings he was the man for the job because he knew what had to be done. In West Point Grant was in the lower half of the class rankings. Mostly because he read romantic novels rather than his textbooks. McCllelan, Hooker, Burnside, Meade had all been top of the class. But they didn't know what Grant knew, which was how to win the war.

Show me & everyone else here where I said Lee wasn't a great General.

You can't because I didn't say that.

But go ahead jackass; we'll wait.

Ok. Let’s hear you say lee was a great general. Just like trump did.

I did say just that in an earlier post; try paying attention for once

So you actually *dont* have a problem with Trump's statement?

Small minds like yours must get whiplash. Sure you dont want to check the Washington Post for your opinion before you answer?
I don’t have a problem with Trump praising Grant in Ohio
But does he have to sound like such a douche?

He acts like he is discovering that Grant was a great General
Tactics wise...........Grant wasn't really that Great..........but he understood that no matter the loses he had to press on and keep the heat up. He knew that he had the numbers and resources to keep it going............the South didn't..........so he pressed on regardless of casualties and won the day..........

Actauully, Grant was a general who had the least casualties per battle. Sherman had even fewer. Lee was the creep who tossed men into the mahs of hell willy nilly.

So you actually *dont* have a problem with Trump's statement?

Small minds like yours must get whiplash. Sure you dont want to check the Washington Post for your opinion before you answer?
I don’t have a problem with Trump praising Grant in Ohio
But does he have to sound like such a douche?

He acts like he is discovering that Grant was a great General
Tactics wise...........Grant wasn't really that Great..........but he understood that no matter the loses he had to press on and keep the heat up. He knew that he had the numbers and resources to keep it going............the South didn't..........so he pressed on regardless of casualties and won the day..........

Previous Union Generals would engage the Confederates, lose, fall back, regroup for six months.......then try again

Grant did not care. He engaged the Confederates and stayed with them. Wear them down and grind it out. He tied up the Confederates at Vicksburg and Petersburg and won over time

Which is why he finished the War...........It was never stopping regardless of casualties that forced the final fight to Richmond............but in tactics......he made a lot of foolish decisions just like others.........the difference was he pressed on...........Cold Habor was another disaster........

He also forced Lee to dig in under seige at Petersburg while Sherman tore through the south with minimal opposition

Lee became a non factor at the end of the war

Mostly because Lee bled the south of men after three years of this madman being in charge.

Trump also fell for the Grant was a drunk fallacy

Grant never drank while on the battlefield. He tended to drink while bored, waiting to get into battle
When his wife was away...

He was a total lightweight when it came to achohol. He was very skinny and relatively short.

Surprised no one brought up the story about Lee being born months after his mother died.

Lee was a very good general and was winning many battles against the union forces and Lincoln was very worried by the fact Lee keep getting the best of his generals. Lee was able to do this because he was very bold and many of the union generals oppossing him were tenative and afarid to press the attack against him because they feared he was setting them up for an ambush. Lincoln finally turned to Grant because despite his personal shortcomings especially with booze he was aggressive and would press the attack against Lee this played a major part in turning the tide of the war in favor of the union.
what Trump said, exactly. NBC are a bunch of dishonest douches.

How about just DUMBASS--we wonder why people of very low intelligence are attracked to Trump. Because he is just as dumb as they are.

Funny-Cartoons-of-Donald-Trump-6.jpg

The oped in the New York Times explains perfectly what's going on in the White House. Bob Woodward's book just confirms it.
Hear the entire NYT stunning op-ed - CNN Video

Last edited:
Last edited:

Forum List

Back