Trump Spends 738B on Space Force

In his remarks Friday night, Trump announced that he was nominating Air Force Gen. John Raymond to head the Space Force. Currently the commander of U.S. Space Command and U.S. Air Force Space Command, Raymond will become the Chief of Space Operations and a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

While the Air Force has carried out significant planning to establish the new service, many questions remain about when they will become a reality.

trump-signing-ap-jt-191220_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

camera.svg

President Donald Trump signs the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Dec. 20, 2019.
President Donald Trump signs the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Dec. 20, 2019.Andrew Harnik/AP
"There are as you can imagine thousands and thousands of actions that are going to have to take place," Raymond told reporters on Friday. "Everything from what does a uniform look like, to a logo, all the way up to who is in the Space Force and who is not in the Space Force."

Raymond said one thing being looked at is renaming five Air Force bases that currently house much of the Air Force's space operations into Space Bases. They include Peterson AFB, Buckley AFB and Schriever AFB in Colorado, Vandenberg AFB in California, and Patrick AFB in Florida.

"There is an incredible excitement across our service about Space Force," said Raymond. "There are people knocking on the door saying 'Hey, how do we become a part of this?'"

Raymond said decisions about the Space Force's future culture should be made deliberately.

"It’s going to be really important that we get this right," Raymond said. "We’re not going to be in a rush to get something and not do that right."

Space Force becomes the newest US military service after Trump signs defense bill
I don't like it that our quest for knowledge in outer space is becoming so militarized. Must we take war there as well? NASA has always operated under military type security and Air Force pilots are chosen as astronauts, but it has always been a peaceful, scientific mission. We even have an opportunity to be good neighbors with Russians at the Space Station.

It is incredible what we have done in my lifetime. I (and many of you) remember man's first step on the moon that we watched from our tv's. Now look at us with astronauts living in space for months at a time in a Star Wars type satellite and civilians about to share the experience ....

I would just like to see it remain a neutral, scientific branch of study if at all possible.
That'd be fine and dandy if "provide for the common defense" were not written into the President's oath of office.

It isn't! Why do you think it is?
I so regard the Constitution's words on his job description to be part of the President's oath of office. Silly me!!!!!! :spinner:

In his remarks Friday night, Trump announced that he was nominating Air Force Gen. John Raymond to head the Space Force. Currently the commander of U.S. Space Command and U.S. Air Force Space Command, Raymond will become the Chief of Space Operations and a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

While the Air Force has carried out significant planning to establish the new service, many questions remain about when they will become a reality.

camera.svg

President Donald Trump signs the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Dec. 20, 2019.
President Donald Trump signs the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Dec. 20, 2019.Andrew Harnik/AP
"There are as you can imagine thousands and thousands of actions that are going to have to take place," Raymond told reporters on Friday. "Everything from what does a uniform look like, to a logo, all the way up to who is in the Space Force and who is not in the Space Force."

Raymond said one thing being looked at is renaming five Air Force bases that currently house much of the Air Force's space operations into Space Bases. They include Peterson AFB, Buckley AFB and Schriever AFB in Colorado, Vandenberg AFB in California, and Patrick AFB in Florida.

"There is an incredible excitement across our service about Space Force," said Raymond. "There are people knocking on the door saying 'Hey, how do we become a part of this?'"

Raymond said decisions about the Space Force's future culture should be made deliberately.

"It’s going to be really important that we get this right," Raymond said. "We’re not going to be in a rush to get something and not do that right."

Space Force becomes the newest US military service after Trump signs defense bill
I don't like it that our quest for knowledge in outer space is becoming so militarized. Must we take war there as well? NASA has always operated under military type security and Air Force pilots are chosen as astronauts, but it has always been a peaceful, scientific mission. We even have an opportunity to be good neighbors with Russians at the Space Station.

It is incredible what we have done in my lifetime. I (and many of you) remember man's first step on the moon that we watched from our tv's. Now look at us with astronauts living in space for months at a time in a Star Wars type satellite and civilians about to share the experience ....

I would just like to see it remain a neutral, scientific branch of study if at all possible.
That'd be fine and dandy if "provide for the common defense" were not written into the President's oath of office.

I so regard the Constitution's words on his job description to be part of the President's oath of office. Silly me!!!!!! :spinner:

Where is this "job description" found? It;s OK to admit you messed up.

camera.svg

Where is this "job description" found? It;s OK to admit you messed up.
Why Admiral, dear. I don't need to. You told the world for me. :tongue:

Forum List

Back