Trump to allow imports of African elephant trophies

I just want to know, what part of killing an elephant is "hunting"? It's not like you have to track them, stalk them. It is not like they are hard to find. And how can you miss them when you shoot? How can you have a "trophy" from an elephant? What can you possibly be celebrating? Your hunting skills? Your shooting skills? I mean normally, I am opposed to capital punishment, but in the case of shooting an elephant, I can be persuaded otherwise.
You don't know a damn thing about hunting, do you. (That's not a question.)

Also note: the place you need to hit to take down an elephant is about the size of a salad plate.
So killing endangered elephants is like a salad?

I just want to know, what part of killing an elephant is "hunting"? It's not like you have to track them, stalk them. It is not like they are hard to find. And how can you miss them when you shoot? How can you have a "trophy" from an elephant? What can you possibly be celebrating? Your hunting skills? Your shooting skills? I mean normally, I am opposed to capital punishment, but in the case of shooting an elephant, I can be persuaded otherwise.

Also note: the place you need to hit to take down an elephant is about the size of a salad plate.
Does it hurt to be this stupid?

You are ignorant of the facts. your mixing two arguments in one topic.

The better question is why would we block big game trophies that are taken legally? Fees and licenses paid by hunters help preserve wild game.

Part of the problem is determine whether or not what is coming in is “legal”. Corruption is rife. Once you start allowing animal parts in you encourage illegal killing and poaching and marketing of animals, most of whom are endangered. The Chinese are among the worst because they believe animal parts have medicinal or sexual enhancement property.

People who get their thrills killing these magnificent members of another nation should be satisfied with photographs and memories. We don’t need dismembered body parts brought back to encourage trade in those parts.

I thought your party was all about jobs, taxidermist have to make a living too.

You think, moron. A salad plate? At what distance? I hope at least 500 yards or it's really nothing to it. I, along with all of my children, the boys and the girls, have qualified through the Appleseed Project. Hell, it's a family tradition that goes back to before Daniel Morgan. But I am sure you know nothing about the Appleseed Project or Daniel Morgan. But let's just put it like this. I hunt quail and I use a .410 double barrel. If you know anything at all about bird hunting that should tell you all you need to know.

The sad reality is the only places that have healthy elephant populations are those that allow hunts. Eco hunters don't pay even one tenth what a real hunter will pay for an elephant. In the long run it helps far more elephants than it harms.
The problem is that elephants live in intergenerational family units. They are long lived, slow to msture and highly intelligent. Older ones teach younger ones and knowledge gets passed down through generations.

We have no business killing such creatures for sport. If there were no market for dead elephant parts there would be no value in poaching. Now we are opening the market again to poorly regulated indistry. :(

All of that is true, but as a person who has lived and worked in Africa for years at a time, I can tell you that in areas where hunting is allowed the elephant population is doing OK. Not great mind you, but OK. Where hunting is outlawed they are nearing extinction. It's as simple as that.
I understand their conservation is a complicated matter....but perhaps we could stop short of allowing their severed heads to be brought back :(

Boy do I agree with you on that. I find the whole thing repugnant, but like I said before, the alternative is so much worse.

I'm not the one who used salad as a visual help tool on how to murder elephants who don't want to die.

The better question is why would we block big game trophies that are taken legally? Fees and licenses paid by hunters help preserve wild game.

Part of the problem is determine whether or not what is coming in is “legal”. Corruption is rife. Once you start allowing animal parts in you encourage illegal killing and poaching and marketing of animals, most of whom are endangered. The Chinese are among the worst because they believe animal parts have medicinal or sexual enhancement property.

People who get their thrills killing these magnificent members of another nation should be satisfied with photographs and memories. We don’t need dismembered body parts brought back to encourage trade in those parts.

You know...not everything is politics.

trump-sons.jpg

Of course he is. Clearly, we can see why.

Maybe because he is a grown up.

These hunters pay ridiculous amounts of money to big game hunt. It keeps populations under control and actually funds the conservation activities.

While I disagree will killing these beautiful animals for sport, THEY DO MORE FOR CONSERVATION THEN USELESS LIBERALS LIKE YOURSELF

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Many of the animals are endangered.

Yes and the ridiculous amount of money to hunt just one provides refugee and protection to the entire species.

I disagree with killing these beautiful animals, but it does good species as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

You know...not everything is politics.

Then it shouldn't be in the politics forum, then we can discuss it in a non-political manner.

What kind of shithead would want to kill the animal representing his own party?

You think, moron. A salad plate? At what distance? I hope at least 500 yards or it's really nothing to it. I, along with all of my children, the boys and the girls, have qualified through the Appleseed Project. Hell, it's a family tradition that goes back to before Daniel Morgan. But I am sure you know nothing about the Appleseed Project or Daniel Morgan. But let's just put it like this. I hunt quail and I use a .410 double barrel. If you know anything at all about bird hunting that should tell you all you need to know.

It tells me that what you know about big-game hunting is basically nil. To hunt elephants, you would be using a huge-caliber rifle, with a .375 H&H Magnum (twice the power of a .30-06) on the LOWER end of the curve. Usually, you want something with more steam than that...think .450 Nitro Express or one of the best: the high-velocity .460 Weatherby Magnum . For a Cape buffalo, you might want even more than THAT: think .577 Nitro Express or even a .577 Tyrannosaur to get through its almost armor-plated skull. (You get one shot to stop a charging buffalo.)

I'm not the one who used salad as a visual help tool on how to murder elephants who don't want to die.
So...we can add illiteracy to your idiocy, then.

It tells me that what you know about big-game hunting is basically nil. To hunt elephants, you would be using a huge-caliber rifle, with a .375 H&H Magnum (twice the power of a .30-06) on the LOWER end of the curve. Usually, you want something with more steam than that...think .450 Nitro Express or one of the best: the high-velocity .460 Weatherby Magnum . For a Cape buffalo, you might want even more than THAT: think .577 Nitro Express or even a .577 Tyrannosaur to get through its almost armor-plated skull. (You get one shot to stop a charging buffalo.)

So, back to my original post. Just what skill is involved in shooting an elephant? Knowing what gun to use, is that it. It can't be the shot, a salad plate sized target. Surely it is not the hunt, how freakin hard is it to find an elephant? And if you can't show me where the skill comes in how is having a "trophy" from an elephant any damn different from handing out participation trophies for the 0-10 Pop Warner football team?

Getting close enough for a shot (150 yards or less) without spooking the elephant, making the shot, actually hitting a vital area (not large), and not having the elephant kill you.

Humans kill people ..... Maybe humans ought to be wiped out.

So you support the death penalty for murderers in Chicago, Detroit, Philly, ect.? I didn't think so you hypocrite. :p

Fuck Elephants. They should be hunted just like back in the day. They are ugly. They are dangerous. The shit all over causing global warming. And they destroy crops. What sick fuck would compare them to dolphins?

You're a poor troll

The sad reality is the only places that have healthy elephant populations are those that allow hunts. Eco hunters don't pay even one tenth what a real hunter will pay for an elephant. In the long run it helps far more elephants than it harms.
The problem is that elephants live in intergenerational family units. They are long lived, slow to msture and highly intelligent. Older ones teach younger ones and knowledge gets passed down through generations.

We have no business killing such creatures for sport. If there were no market for dead elephant parts there would be no value in poaching. Now we are opening the market again to poorly regulated indistry. :(

All of that is true, but as a person who has lived and worked in Africa for years at a time, I can tell you that in areas where hunting is allowed the elephant population is doing OK. Not great mind you, but OK. Where hunting is outlawed they are nearing extinction. It's as simple as that.
I understand their conservation is a complicated matter....but perhaps we could stop short of allowing their severed heads to be brought back :(

it's part of the reason these guys(and occasional girl) spend $100k-$300k on a valid permit.

Now Trump is thinking of reversing it and Republicans are thinking about supporting arguments for either side depending on what Trump does

I stand corrected. I mistakenly thought elephants were stupid, dangerous creatures that destroy vegetation, attack smaller creatures, and shit all over the place. Here we see an elephant display its high IQ by trolling another stupid animal!

Forum List

Back