Trump will be the republican nominee in 2024 .

You honestly don't know how presidents are selected?
Sure I do. I was just referring to the "By the way, pretend I didn't say this."

I'm pretty sure you're wrong quite a few things:

In 1992 Ross Perot got 20% of the vote. Too bad 20% of the population at that time was too stupid to know how presidents are elected. There is no legal way an independent candidate will be president even if he wins 100% of the vote or wins all 50 states.
If Perot got a plurality of the votes in a state, he would have been certified as the winner and his electors would have had their votes counted when they counted the electoral votes.
We don't vote for candidates for president, we vote for parties.
We vote for candidates. Non-party affiliated candidates can be on the ballot. Parties nominate a person for each office if they care to do so. But you can run for office and get your name on the ballot as long as you satisfy the requirement in a given state.
Then electors from the winning party choose the president. To my knowledge the democratic party and the Republican party is the only party organized sufficiently to have electors. Do you know of any third party that chooses their electors at district conventions?

Picking electors is a fairly easy proposition...you have six weeks to find someone to cast a ballot.

If Perot got a plurality of the votes in a state, he would have been certified as the winner and his electors would have had their votes counted when they counted the electoral votes.

We vote for candidates. Non-party affiliated candidates can be on the ballot. Parties nominate a person for each office if they care to do so. But you can run for office and get your name on the ballot as long as you satisfy the requirement in a given state.

Picking electors is a fairly easy proposition...you have six weeks to find someone to cast a ballot.

Yes. Independent candidates can be on the ballot and can win in any race except president. There is no independent party thus no independent electors exist.

To my knowledge only the Republican party and the democratic party choose electors. Perhaps I am not the best person to explain this. The only people in this country that voted for Donald Trump or Joseph Biden were the electors. The rest of us voted in our respective state either Republican or democrat. Yes, it is written on the ballot as Donald Trump and Joseph Biden.

Every state has laws on how the electors are allowed to vote. In the course of history there have been very few faithless electors. I did a thread about that here a while back. Let me see if I can find it. Perhaps I am not explaining this right. The people do not elect a president.

That he could take a large hand in blowing the 2022 mid-terms, follow that up with a limp campaign announcement, immerse himself in bizarre and unnecessary controversies (pass the ketchup, Kanye), attack an up-and-coming Republican governor in crude and sophomoric terms, and not just live to tell the tale, but stay at the head of the pack may be the most astonishing testament to the power of his political brand yet.

Yes. Independent candidates can be on the ballot and can win in any race except president. There is no independent party thus no independent electors exist.
And are you sure that the electors are required to belong to a party?
To my knowledge only the Republican party and the democratic party choose electors. Perhaps I am not the best person to explain this. The only people in this country that voted for Donald Trump or Joseph Biden were the electors. The rest of us voted in our respective state either Republican or democrat. Yes, it is written on the ballot as Donald Trump and Joseph Biden.

Every state has laws on how the electors are allowed to vote. In the course of history there have been very few faithless electors. I did a thread about that here a while back. Let me see if I can find it. Perhaps I am not explaining this right. The people do not elect a president.
ok

What I think you got wrong was that the people vote for the party. Not everyone on the ballot for president has to belong to a party. That being said, you seldom see a candidate for president who does not because of the requirements to get on the ballot.

1677803735831.png

What I think you got wrong was that the people vote for the party. Not everyone on the ballot for president has to belong to a party. That being said, you seldom see a candidate for president who does not because of the requirements to get on the ballot.

View attachment 761960

So basically you think the citizens elect a president. Legally an independent candidate can get 99% of the votes and will not become president. Electors choose the president weeks after the election. The party that wins the electoral college for that particular state sends their electors to vote for the president. Trump and Biden's name were on the ballot but that is not what the States were deciding. The states were voting for Republican electors or Democratic electors or Libertarian electors etc. Most states require the electors to choose the nominee for their respective party. Some states don't and electors can break the law.

Look it up or don't look it up. There have been faithless electors in the past. Just to clarify this is only the way presidents are elected. Any other office in the land can be won without any party affiliation.

Last edited:
And are you sure that the electors are required to belong to a party?

Yes. I am 100% sure. I took part in choosing a republican elector for the 3rd district of North Carolina. It was a big deal. It wasn't taken lightly. To my knowledge the Republican party and the Democratic party are the only parties that choose enough electors to cover every district in every state. Maybe there are some active Libertarians that can prove me wrong.

So basically you think the citizens elect a president. Legally an independent candidate can get 99% of the votes and will not become president. Electors choose the president weeks after the election. The party that wins the electoral college for that particular state sends their electors to vote for the president.

Look it up or don't look it up. Believing comfortable lies can be fun.
The person who gets the popular votes will simply appoint electors to vote for her or him 6 weeks later or thereabouts.

Yes. I am 100% sure. I took part in choosing a republican elector for the 3rd district of North Carolina. It was a big deal. It wasn't taken lightly. To my knowledge the Republican party and the Democratic party are the only parties that choose enough electors to cover every district in every state. Maybe there are some active Libertarians that can prove me wrong.
Okay...feel free to cite that law I guess.

Also..if you're a libertarian party member, appointing electors in case you win is probably not high up on the list of things to do. I don't think they're planning the order of inaugural balls to attend when they win either.

Yes indeed. I will just cite the United States Constitution on which those 50 laws are based. Why did you think I was intelligent enough to make all of this up?
Huh?

Yes, electors vote for the President. You seem to think an independent cannot get electors to vote for her or him. Right?

Forum List

Back