Trump's assault on free speech - agree with him or else!

What the hell does your view of 'political correctness' have anything to do with the POTUS removing press credentials from certain members of the free Press?!?!
I just explained it.

I don't think you understand what 'authoritarian' means. To do so, you have to be in a position of authority to do so.....not sure why pointing out stupidity of right wing theories equates to shutting down free speech? Quite the contrary.....I LOVE right wing nutcases speaking....their ineptitude is better evidence of their craziness than anything I could say.
Looks like we have different definitions. The fact remains, the tactics I listed are true, and the Left should clean its own house before playing the Free Speech game.

Not that I'm expecting that.

Why would we have different definitions?!?!?!? There is a correct definition and an incorrect one. There is ONE POTUS that is trying to use his political power to restrict certain members of the free press access. It is an authoritarian type of move....but, falls in line with Trump's affinity with guys like Kim Jong Un and Vladimir Putin. They have the EXACT same view of the free press.
What the hell does your view of 'political correctness' have anything to do with the POTUS removing press credentials from certain members of the free Press?!?!
I just explained it.

I don't think you understand what 'authoritarian' means. To do so, you have to be in a position of authority to do so.....not sure why pointing out stupidity of right wing theories equates to shutting down free speech? Quite the contrary.....I LOVE right wing nutcases speaking....their ineptitude is better evidence of their craziness than anything I could say.
Looks like we have different definitions. The fact remains, the tactics I listed are true, and the Left should clean its own house before playing the Free Speech game.

Why would we have different definitions?!?!?!? There is a correct definition and an incorrect one. There is ONE POTUS that is trying to use his political power to restrict certain members of the free press access. It is an authoritarian type of move....but, falls in line with Trump's affinity with guys like Kim Jong Un and Vladimir Putin. They have the EXACT same view of the free press.
Yes, it's an authoritarian move, but I don't think Trump has the capacity to realize it. It's his standard, petulant, vindictive, shallow behavior, something he's demonstrated since he came down the escalator. He doesn't appear to have a grasp of context, he just reacts.

My point, however, is that the illiberal authoritarian Left has been making a mockery of the most liberal of values, freedom of expression, for a couple of generations now. The attacking, punishing and intimidating of speech by these people is certainly authoritarian, and it flies directly in the face of freedom of expression.

How is using speech to refute speech an "attack of expression"? Isn't that the exact opposite?

Plus, I don't see how "the Left's" usage of speech to speak up against an authoritarian is EQUAL TO he authoritarian using his authority to refuse critic's access to information? You're equating two totally different things......you're comparing apples to alligators.

How is using speech to refute speech an "attack of expression"? Isn't that the exact opposite?
Refuting it is one thing, shutting it down or intimidating it is another.

"I'm going to use my freedom of speech to shut down yours" is a blatant and cynical perversion of the concept.

These people agree:

1_zpsu1ewjewt.png~original

Yes, it's an authoritarian move, but I don't think Trump has the capacity to realize it.

You mean like he'd never open concentration camps and OOOOPS we have concentration camps on the Southern Border.

It's his standard, petulant, vindictive, shallow behavior, something he's demonstrated since he came down the escalator. He doesn't appear to have a grasp of context, he just reacts.

And that should scare the hell out of you. Because now he's got thousands of people ready to act on his whims, all willing to ingratiate themselves to him.

But you won't care until the stock market tanks... that's your moral value.

My point, however, is that the illiberal authoritarian Left has been making a mockery of the most liberal of values, freedom of expression, for a couple of generations now. The attacking, punishing and intimidating of speech by these people is certainly authoritarian, and it flies directly in the face of freedom of expression.

Bullshit. If I'm spending $40,000 a year to send my kid to a good college, I don't want that money going to giving forums to Nazis.

Now, if we were locking up Nazis like Coulter and Richard Spenser, you might have a point. (in Europe, they WOULD be locked up, because on Nazism, "Been there, done that, got beaten by the brown-shirt". ) But saying, "Um, no, we aren't going to give your filth the intellectual stamp of approval of speaking on our campus", that's not censorship. That's refusing patronage.

If a big corporation refuses to put their ads on a Fox News show that features Coulter (which is why you never see her on TV anymore), why should college kids be forced to subsidize her?

"I'm going to use my freedom of speech to shut down yours" is a blatant and cynical perversion of the concept.

These people agree:

I guess I don't understand what you are arguing? I totally agree with every quote in your meme.......but, don't see where your view of liberalism has "shut down" speech of people they disagree with?

One thing we should ALL be in agreement on....the right for any of us to speak freely without repercussion from an oppressive government. The First Amendment reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Trump has been assaulting freedom of speech since he has been elected. Whether it was the assault on people based on religion (Muslims). Or, his open assaults on the free press and his threats to remove certain members' press credentials to the White House if he doesn't like what they say.
Trump Is Threatening to 'Take Away' Reporters' Credentials. He Told TIME He Wouldn't Do That

His latest swipe at the First Amendment involves removal of security clearances from Americans who have the audacity to stand up for what they believe in. Americans who served their country for decades are being silenced by a President who believes everyone should serve his interests...and NOT those of the country. I don't care what you think of the politics of guys like John Brennan, but, to have them silenced simply because they disagree with what the POTUS is doing? Who else will we allow Trump to silence?
Trump's Assault on the First Amendment
Targeting critics, Trump threatens ex-officials' security clearances

Where are the patriotic Republicans?! Seriously....how many times will Trump have to wipe his backside with the Constitution before you're going to care?
The real threat to our constitution is the one missing from your rant...the second amendment abolishing, as for the above it is PC speech that is the real threat in those areas

These people agree:

Oh, noes, Stormy Mac is bringing up his quote wall again.

Hey, Stormy, if you want to listen to Ann Coulter tell us why we should throw you out of the country, have at it, buddy.

Yes, it's an authoritarian move, but I don't think Trump has the capacity to realize it.

You mean like he'd never open concentration camps and OOOOPS we have concentration camps on the Southern Border.

It's his standard, petulant, vindictive, shallow behavior, something he's demonstrated since he came down the escalator. He doesn't appear to have a grasp of context, he just reacts.

And that should scare the hell out of you. Because now he's got thousands of people ready to act on his whims, all willing to ingratiate themselves to him.

But you won't care until the stock market tanks... that's your moral value.

Bullshit. If I'm spending $40,000 a year to send my kid to a good college, I don't want that money going to giving forums to Nazis.

Now, if we were locking up Nazis like Coulter and Richard Spenser, you might have a point. (in Europe, they WOULD be locked up, because on Nazism, "Been there, done that, got beaten by the brown-shirt". ) But saying, "Um, no, we aren't going to give your filth the intellectual stamp of approval of speaking on our campus", that's not censorship. That's refusing patronage.

If a big corporation refuses to put their ads on a Fox News show that features Coulter (which is why you never see her on TV anymore), why should college kids be forced to subsidize her?

Awesome argument.

One thing we should ALL be in agreement on....the right for any of us to speak freely without repercussion from an oppressive government. The First Amendment reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Trump has been assaulting freedom of speech since he has been elected. Whether it was the assault on people based on religion (Muslims). Or, his open assaults on the free press and his threats to remove certain members' press credentials to the White House if he doesn't like what they say.
Trump Is Threatening to 'Take Away' Reporters' Credentials. He Told TIME He Wouldn't Do That

His latest swipe at the First Amendment involves removal of security clearances from Americans who have the audacity to stand up for what they believe in. Americans who served their country for decades are being silenced by a President who believes everyone should serve his interests...and NOT those of the country. I don't care what you think of the politics of guys like John Brennan, but, to have them silenced simply because they disagree with what the POTUS is doing? Who else will we allow Trump to silence?

Where are the patriotic Republicans?! Seriously....how many times will Trump have to wipe his backside with the Constitution before you're going to care?

Truuuuummmp!

3271352004_a668c66b86.jpg

These people agree:

I guess I don't understand what you are arguing? I totally agree with every quote in your meme.......but, don't see where your view of liberalism has "shut down" speech of people they disagree with?
First, liberalism doesn't shut down speech of people with whom it doesn't agree. The people who do this are illiberal leftist authoritarians, not liberals, and that's why I call them that.

And you really can't think of any examples of conservative speakers being shut down, shouted down, or intimidated? Really? And you can't think of examples of people screaming RACIST, HOMOPHOBE, ISLAMOPHOBE or something similar instead of engaging in conversation? What do you think the liberals above are talking about, then?

If that's true, I wouldn't even know what to say. That's like when a right winger says "racism no longer exists". I don't even know how to respond.

The real threat to our constitution is the one missing from your rant...the second amendment abolishing, as for the above it is PC speech that is the real threat in those areas

Good news goober......nobody is looking to abolish the second amendment, so, rest easy.

Define "PC speech"......you know, given it is the "real threat" (moreso than a President using authority to silence critics of his).

These people agree:

First, liberalism doesn't shut down speech of people with whom it doesn't agree. The people who do this are illiberal leftist authoritarians, not liberals, and that's why I call them that.

And you really can't think of any examples of conservative speakers being shut down, shouted down, or intimidated? Really? And you can't think of examples of people screaming RACIST, HOMOPHOBE, ISLAMOPHOBE or something similar instead of engaging in conversation? What do you think the liberals above are talking about, then?

If that's true, I wouldn't even know what to say. That's like when a right winger says "racism no longer exists". I don't even know how to respond.

You are talking yourself in circles. So.....you want the racist to have his ability to spread hate through his speech, but, don't want the ability for me to call out that speech for what I believe it is? Seems to be a complete double standard and makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever.

Not to mention, this STILL has absolutely nothing to do with a sitting POTUS telling some members of the Press they have access to information and other members of the Press they don't. I suppose I'd ask you.....at what point then does the free Press become the "free Press" and nothing more than a propaganda arm of the government?

Truuuuummmp!

3271352004_a668c66b86.jpg
Good one????

These people agree:

You are talking yourself in circles. So.....you want the racist to have his ability to spread hate through his speech, but, don't want the ability for me to call out that speech for what I believe it is? Seems to be a complete double standard and makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever.

Not to mention, this STILL has absolutely nothing to do with a sitting POTUS telling some members of the Press they have access to information and other members of the Press they don't.
I'm not talking in circles, nor are the people I have quoted. This is pretty clear, and I'll say it again: There is a difference between disagreeing with people and shutting them down, or shouting them down, or intimidating them. The people I quoted agree with me, you don't have to.

I'm an advocate for REAL freedom of expression, the most liberal value of all.

These people agree:

Not to mention, this STILL has absolutely nothing to do with a sitting POTUS telling some members of the Press they have access to information and other members of the Press they don't.
I'm not talking in circles, nor are the people I have quoted. This is pretty clear, and I'll say it again: There is a difference between disagreeing with people and shutting them down, or shouting them down, or intimidating them. The people I quoted agree with me, you don't have to.

I'm an advocate for REAL freedom of expression.

So your issue is with the VOLUME OF OUR VOICE?!?!?!?!?(thank you Austin Powers) Let me ask you....would you consider Trump's threat to revoke Press credentials from some Press members as "intimidation"?

These people agree:

I'm an advocate for REAL freedom of expression.

So your issue is with the VOLUME OF OUR VOICE?!?!?!?!? Let me ask you....would you consider Trump's threat to revoke Press credentials from some Press members as "intimidation"?
What? How do you still not understand this? You pretend that you agree with the people I quoted, and then try that one? That's not close to what I said, what THEY said.

YOU are the one talking in circles. I agree with Obama, Sanders, Warren, et al. Either you do or you don't.

And I've already given my opinion of Trump's ridiculous move.

I just explained it.

I just explained it.

Yes, it's an authoritarian move, but I don't think Trump has the capacity to realize it. It's his standard, petulant, vindictive, shallow behavior, something he's demonstrated since he came down the escalator. He doesn't appear to have a grasp of context, he just reacts.

Many on the Left don't think it authoritarian to punish those who's opinions they find unacceptable. They think it is just the right thing to do. So, they do not understand when you point out their hypocrisy on freedom of speech.

I'm sorry, when has Ann Coulter been "shut down".

I mean, Fox News won't have her on anymore because the sponsors won't have it, but it's not like she learns anything. Quite the contrary, like any good troll, she just says increasingly obnoxious things to try to get attention. You know, kind of like Madonna doing more provocative things when everyone is kind of tired of her schtick.

It strikes me that if Fox News sponsors won't put Ann Coulter on the air anymore because she is so obnoxious in her racism... college kids have every right to reject her using their campus to give her spew any legitimacy.

If Ann really wants to speak, she should rent a hall and charge $5.00 a head.

And I've already given my opinion of Trump's ridiculous move.

One of those things you mildly protest... um, yeah, I guess.

Kids in concentration camps... ho hum, but Sarah Sanders couldn't have dinner at a resturant! The horror of it all!

Many on the Left don't think it authoritarian to punish those who's opinions they find unacceptable. They think it is just the right thing to do. So, they do not understand when you point out their hypocrisy on freedom of speech.
Yeah, I think that may be the problem. I think it's possible that they're being sincere, that they really don't see this.

That, to me, is worse than if they were lying.

I can provide direct and clear quotes from Obama, Warren and Sanders, and these folks still don't understand the concept.

I'm sorry, when has Ann Coulter been "shut down".

I mean, Fox News won't have her on anymore because the sponsors won't have it, but it's not like she learns anything. Quite the contrary, like any good troll, she just says increasingly obnoxious things to try to get attention. You know, kind of like Madonna doing more provocative things when everyone is kind of tired of her schtick.

It strikes me that if Fox News sponsors won't put Ann Coulter on the air anymore because she is so obnoxious in her racism... college kids have every right to reject her using their campus to give her spew any legitimacy.

If Ann really wants to speak, she should rent a hall and charge $5.00 a head.
Joe you just admitted not knowing the facts. Go back to bed.

Forum List

Back