Trump's assault on free speech - agree with him or else!

Many on the Left don't think it authoritarian to punish those who's opinions they find unacceptable. They think it is just the right thing to do. So, they do not understand when you point out their hypocrisy on freedom of speech.
Yeah, I think that may be the problem. I think it's possible that they're being sincere, that they really don't see this.

That, to me, is worse than if they were lying.

I can provide direct and clear quotes from Obama, Warren and Sanders, and these folks still don't understand the concept.
Agreed. One could conclude from this, that they aren't very smart.

I just explained it.

I don't think you understand what 'authoritarian' means. To do so, you have to be in a position of authority to do so.....not sure why pointing out stupidity of right wing theories equates to shutting down free speech? Quite the contrary.....I LOVE right wing nutcases speaking....their ineptitude is better evidence of their craziness than anything I could say.
Looks like we have different definitions. The fact remains, the tactics I listed are true, and the Left should clean its own house before playing the Free Speech game.

Not that I'm expecting that.

Why would we have different definitions?!?!?!? There is a correct definition and an incorrect one. There is ONE POTUS that is trying to use his political power to restrict certain members of the free press access. It is an authoritarian type of move....but, falls in line with Trump's affinity with guys like Kim Jong Un and Vladimir Putin. They have the EXACT same view of the free press.
I just explained it.

I don't think you understand what 'authoritarian' means. To do so, you have to be in a position of authority to do so.....not sure why pointing out stupidity of right wing theories equates to shutting down free speech? Quite the contrary.....I LOVE right wing nutcases speaking....their ineptitude is better evidence of their craziness than anything I could say.
Looks like we have different definitions. The fact remains, the tactics I listed are true, and the Left should clean its own house before playing the Free Speech game.

Why would we have different definitions?!?!?!? There is a correct definition and an incorrect one. There is ONE POTUS that is trying to use his political power to restrict certain members of the free press access. It is an authoritarian type of move....but, falls in line with Trump's affinity with guys like Kim Jong Un and Vladimir Putin. They have the EXACT same view of the free press.
Yes, it's an authoritarian move, but I don't think Trump has the capacity to realize it. It's his standard, petulant, vindictive, shallow behavior, something he's demonstrated since he came down the escalator. He doesn't appear to have a grasp of context, he just reacts.

My point, however, is that the illiberal authoritarian Left has been making a mockery of the most liberal of values, freedom of expression, for a couple of generations now. The attacking, punishing and intimidating of speech by these people is certainly authoritarian, and it flies directly in the face of freedom of expression.
Many on the Left don't think it authoritarian to punish those who's opinions they find unacceptable. They think it is just the right thing to do. So, they do not understand when you point out their hypocrisy on freedom of speech.

How does "the Left" have authority to punish? Having the audacity to call 'bull****' on the right wing is simply our right to free speech.

Trump DOES have the authority to punish....which he is exercising.

Yeah, I think that may be the problem. I think it's possible that they're being sincere, that they really don't see this.

I can provide direct and clear quotes from Obama, Warren and Sanders, and these folks still don't understand the concept.
No, I don't think it's about intelligence. I think it's ideology, which is like an affliction.

I'm not talking in circles, nor are the people I have quoted. This is pretty clear, and I'll say it again: There is a difference between disagreeing with people and shutting them down, or shouting them down, or intimidating them. The people I quoted agree with me, you don't have to.

I'm sorry, when has Ann Coulter been "shut down".

I mean, Fox News won't have her on anymore because the sponsors won't have it, but it's not like she learns anything. Quite the contrary, like any good troll, she just says increasingly obnoxious things to try to get attention. You know, kind of like Madonna doing more provocative things when everyone is kind of tired of her schtick.

It strikes me that if Fox News sponsors won't put Ann Coulter on the air anymore because she is so obnoxious in her racism... college kids have every right to reject her using their campus to give her spew any legitimacy.

If Ann really wants to speak, she should rent a hall and charge $5.00 a head.
Joe you just admitted not knowing the facts. Go back to bed.

I contend that your disagreement with Joe is your "intimidation" toward Joe and therefore (according to some on here)....you are restricting his right to free speech.

Good God, what a stupid argument.......

One thing we should ALL be in agreement on....the right for any of us to speak freely without repercussion from an oppressive government. The First Amendment reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Trump has been assaulting freedom of speech since he has been elected. Whether it was the assault on people based on religion (Muslims). Or, his open assaults on the free press and his threats to remove certain members' press credentials to the White House if he doesn't like what they say.
Trump Is Threatening to 'Take Away' Reporters' Credentials. He Told TIME He Wouldn't Do That

His latest swipe at the First Amendment involves removal of security clearances from Americans who have the audacity to stand up for what they believe in. Americans who served their country for decades are being silenced by a President who believes everyone should serve his interests...and NOT those of the country. I don't care what you think of the politics of guys like John Brennan, but, to have them silenced simply because they disagree with what the POTUS is doing? Who else will we allow Trump to silence?
Trump's Assault on the First Amendment
Targeting critics, Trump threatens ex-officials' security clearances

Where are the patriotic Republicans?! Seriously....how many times will Trump have to wipe his backside with the Constitution before you're going to care?
:CryingCow:

No, I don't think it's about intelligence. I think it's ideology, which is like an affliction.
Explain "punish".......

How about this? Ideology TRUMPS intelligence.

LOL!

Explain "punish".......
Getting someone fired. Ruining someone's career. "Hate Speech" laws.

I really had to say that?

Explain "punish".......
FUNNY!!!

Why is it you guys so often resort to semantics, when your argument is DESTROYED???

LOL!
It does. A perfectly intelligent person can become infected.

And when it infects, it literally distorts both perceptions and thought processes. I'm not kidding.

Explain "punish".......

You didn't have to say, they are just playing dumb as they often do.

One thing we should ALL be in agreement on....the right for any of us to speak freely without repercussion from an oppressive government. The First Amendment reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Trump has been assaulting freedom of speech since he has been elected. Whether it was the assault on people based on religion (Muslims). Or, his open assaults on the free press and his threats to remove certain members' press credentials to the White House if he doesn't like what they say.
Trump Is Threatening to 'Take Away' Reporters' Credentials. He Told TIME He Wouldn't Do That

His latest swipe at the First Amendment involves removal of security clearances from Americans who have the audacity to stand up for what they believe in. Americans who served their country for decades are being silenced by a President who believes everyone should serve his interests...and NOT those of the country. I don't care what you think of the politics of guys like John Brennan, but, to have them silenced simply because they disagree with what the POTUS is doing? Who else will we allow Trump to silence?

Where are the patriotic Republicans?! Seriously....how many times will Trump have to wipe his backside with the Constitution before you're going to care?
Dude, if you fuckers can get away with having Roseanne Barr fired for making a joke on Twitter, do me a favor and STFU!!!

Explain "punish".......

You didn't have to say, they are just playing dumb as they often do.
I'm not so sure.

LOL!

And when it infects, it literally distorts both perceptions and thought processes. I'm not kidding.
I figure if your sense of right and wrong is faulty, it's easy to be 'infected'.

Say doofus, you may want to rethink that thought. Token negro threatened to jail reporters ya know.

That's not "silencing" them. That's simply denying them access to confidential information after their tenure has ended. That happens at workplaces all over the nation, btw. After you leave your workplace, you are denied access to the "inner workings". Nothing new there.

Refresher: the First Amendment simply means the gov't will not jail or oppress you for your speech. It does NOT mean you get unfettered access to inside information for the rest of your life because---whatever. ????

Their access is removed the day they leave the job, having a clearance and having access are two different things.
Bingo

Yes, it's an authoritarian move, but I don't think Trump has the capacity to realize it. It's his standard, petulant, vindictive, shallow behavior, something he's demonstrated since he came down the escalator. He doesn't appear to have a grasp of context, he just reacts.

My point, however, is that the illiberal authoritarian Left has been making a mockery of the most liberal of values, freedom of expression, for a couple of generations now. The attacking, punishing and intimidating of speech by these people is certainly authoritarian, and it flies directly in the face of freedom of expression.

How does "the Left" have authority to punish? Having the audacity to call 'bull****' on the right wing is simply our right to free speech.

Trump DOES have the authority to punish....which he is exercising.

What law has Congress passed that restricts the free speech rights of these people? That's where the first comes into play.

Last edited:

LOL!

I figure if your sense of right and wrong is faulty, it's easy to be 'infected'.
I've done a lot of reading the subconscious, and the prevailing view is that, through our subconscious, we humans can talk ourselves into some pretty amazing things. And, it's a process: We begin with a general belief, we then expose ourselves more and more to it, and then we ultimately isolate ourselves within it.

At that point, opinion becomes reality, regardless of how distorted that opinion may be.

FURTHER, we then apply that same process across the board, and that's when the infection takes complete hold.

Say doofus, you may want to rethink that thought. Token negro threatened to jail reporters ya know.
To some on the left what Obama did, is perfectly okay. What Trump is doing is not.

...and amazingly they can't see the hypocrisy, partisanship, and intolerance of their position.

Explain "punish".......

It won't happen of course but this is the general idea...

clintonjail2-e1452024633265.jpg

:banana:

Forum List

Back