Trump's Dieselgate?: How The GOP/BigOil Powers Intend To Smash Efficient Cars Again

BigOil is headhunding. Trump will help them every inch of the way. Got to wonder who inspired VW in Germany to flub the emissions thing.

1. They are pushing out small diesel passenger cars that get 50-70 mpg. I strongly suspect industrial sabotage on the VW diesel small passenger imports.

Thanks to their good fuel economy, diesel cars have remained popular in Europe, where fuel is two to three times more expensive than in America, and oil refineries are optimised to produce a plentiful supply of diesel. The diesel’s efficiency stems from not having to throttle the engine to control its speed. It therefore has none of the “pumping losses” that hobble petrol engines. Add the fact that diesel fuel packs 10% more energy than gasoline, and it easy to see why diesels can be 30% more efficient than their petrol equivalents.

They have other virtues, too. Like electric motors, diesels generate oodles of low-end torque, making them quick off the mark and more relaxing to drive. Also, their sturdiness—necessitated by having to cope with much higher cylinder pressures—gives them an enviable reputation for durability. For good reason, truckers swear by diesels. Long-distance rigs can easily put in 100,000 miles (160,000km) a year, and run for a million miles or more before needing an overhaul.

Large diesel cars and luxury SUVs share many of the same virtues. But with their high sticker prices, they can absorb the cost of the additional processing needed to clean up their polluting exhausts. Bigger vehicles also have the space to install the gear that does this. By comparison, making small, lightweight diesels for family cars is a serious challenge. The sleight of hand could be pulled off in Europe—where diesel cars account for half of all new vehicles bought—only because emission standards there have been so lax.
http://www.economist.com/news/scien...ean-affordable-diesel-cars-dieselgate-dilemma

OK, "lax" emissions standards in all those very clean-air countries in Europe. Something's not adding up...

2. They are making the idea of 4wd passenger cars vogue again....that only run on gas...which are the most inefficient types of cars there are. Welcome back 15-20 mpg... again. I guess that that will result in a new profit tidal wave for BigOil is merely a coincidence...

You will see bigger cars, more clunky looking cars (the more boxy their nose looks, the worse gas mileage they get). This is what dumb America is being groomed to accept. Only you can insist that your car be streamlined and efficient.

I guess the idea that diesel fuel lends itself perfectly to being combined with bio oils where fuels can be produced cheaply using algae and other forms of biomass just doesn't sit well with BigOil. So diesel is being demonized.

If one car requires 1/3 the fuel to go the same distance as another car, whose emissions are also not good for the environment, which car should you buy? And, if one of them can use fuel at 1/3 the amount of the other and cut that fuel with a biologically-grown source, which car should you buy? Consider our involvement in the Middle East before you answer that question..

How is it that Europe (& Japan) is driving the hell out of small diesel passenger cars while maintaining their reputation for pristine clean air in their towns and countrysides? Something ain't adding up.. Once again BigOil positions itself to crush its competition.

BigOil forced owners to return their cars to be crushed & sit in piles in the desert. Here's what BigOil does to efficient competition: (pile of crushed 2000 Chevy volts after a forced recall).

after2.jpg

No, we just like cats built out of steel and not plastic

And we like all cars to not look the same and look as ugly as a NOW member.
the all looking the same bothers me too.
I remember in the 60s and 70s when I could see a car and tell you what it was including the year of production. I was 10 in 68 and able to do that.
Now I cant tell if its a Toyota, Kia, Hyndai, Honda or hell, Mercedes for that matter. Every car seems to look the same as every other. the only thing that still has a distinctive look are the Trucks and most SUVs. Chevy and Dodge are very easy to tell by the front ends alone, Ford, easy to tell, its usually the one on the side of the road or the back of a Tow Truck.. LOL (had to be done)

I remember in the 60s and 70s when I could see a car and tell you what it was including the year of production. I was 10 in 68 and able to do that.
Now I cant tell if its a Toyota, Kia, Hyndai, Honda or hell, Mercedes for that matter. Every car seems to look the same as every other. the only thing that still has a distinctive look are the Trucks and most SUVs. Chevy and Dodge are very easy to tell by the front ends alone, Ford, easy to tell, its usually the one on the side of the road or the back of a Tow Truck.. LOL (had to be done)

Yes, because of new emissions standards and a mandate on inefficiency, Ford's engineers are scrapping old time-tested excellence for the "GM model" mode of cheap inefficient cars & trucks. I wouldn't buy a new Ford Truck because of that. Plus have you seen this/last year's models? Their front "aerodynamics" are that of a snow plow..

It used to be longevity was something a consumer sought, because buying a new car every four years gets expensive. I like the Chevy ad where they say "won the best in initial quality". People don't ponder the word "initial". They focus instead on the words "won the best..." Initial quality awards mean nothing when you want your car to last longer than four years.

They're designing new cars, like everything else, to crap out on you in four years so you have to buy a new one. By then, American/BigOil engineers will have designed even more inefficient, ugly and fragile cars for the "lucky" consumer.

If we want to capture the European market (you know, affect our GDP to debt ratio in our favor) we'd better get our act together fast. Europeans aren't going to put up with American crap that gets them 12-15 mpg on the highway using refined gasoline their countries cannot afford.

Last edited:

Yes, because of new emissions standards and a mandate on inefficiency, Ford's engineers are scrapping old time-tested excellence for the "GM model" mode of cheap inefficient cars & trucks. I wouldn't buy a new Ford Truck because of that. Plus have you seen this/last year's models? Their front "aerodynamics" are that of a snow plow..

It used to be longevity was something a consumer sought, because buying a new car every four years gets expensive. I like the Chevy ad where they say "won the best in initial quality". People don't ponder the word "initial". They focus instead on the words "won the best..." Initial quality awards mean nothing when you want your car to last longer than four years.

They're designing new cars, like everything else, to crap out on you in four years so you have to buy a new one. By then, American/BigOil engineers will have designed even more inefficient, ugly and fragile cars for the "lucky" consumer.
actually Ive never had a problem with any of my trucks, My bronco even topped 200k before it died. Cars are a different story, I dont think they make them to last. I think a good deal of the quality of Trucks is that very joking I did in the last post. The quality and strength of a truck have become more than just a joke to the manufacturers, they are all really trying to make the best that they can.
But, I agree with you on the Ford looking like a snow plow, too much front end on those things, pushing some serious air going down the road. I prefer the smaller surface area of the GMs, I would much rather use my horsepower pulling a load than pushing air.

I agree with you on the Ford looking like a snow plow, too much front end on those things, pushing some serious air going down the road. I prefer the smaller surface area of the GMs, I would much rather use my horsepower pulling a load than pushing air.

You think they engineered them that way by accident? Same goes with the emissions burning excess fuel in the tail pipe instead of putting that particulate platinum in the combustion phase. "Better" (for BigOil) that you use less fuel going forward and more in the tail pipe doing nothing but running up people's gas bills. If you're going to burn recirculated fuel somewhere to make the car greener, best to do it where the car uses less gas to get from point A to B yes?

BigOil is headhunding. Trump will help them every inch of the way. Got to wonder who inspired VW in Germany to flub the emissions thing.

BigOil forced owners to return their cars to be crushed & sit in piles in the desert. Here's what BigOil does to efficient competition: (pile of crushed 2000 Chevy volts after a forced recall).

after2.jpg
Just to fill you in on a tidbit, the cars pictured above are not the Chevy Volt, but the GM Impact. A pure electric car that was not for sale, it could only be leased. It cost too much to have to replace batteries in them. As battery technology improves, you'll see more electric cars. So far the Volt has been fairly successful, and the Bolt is hitting the market.

after2.jpg

Just to fill you in on a tidbit, the cars pictured above are not the Chevy Volt, but the GM Impact. A pure electric car that was not for sale, it could only be leased. It cost too much to have to replace batteries in them. As battery technology improves, you'll see more electric cars. So far the Volt has been fairly successful, and the Bolt is hitting the market.

Who decides what is "too expensive"? The manufacturer whose business it is to sell cars people want? Or, the consumers who already wanted the cars and leased them?

The cars were recalled forcibly because they were out on the road attracting interest for more purchases. *sniff sniff* Can you smell the rotten fish?

This sort of shit may have happened 100 years ago when the general public couldn't afford automobiles but today is totally different. Consumer demand drives car production in this country. Economics 101 if the public doesn't want it the car companies ain't going to build it.
Consumers want diesel VW jettas in the US. So why can't we buy new ones? Or other diesel commuters? The demand is there but we are being kept from what we want.

That should be everyone's right to choose what they want to drive, if someone wants to drive something that gets 2 miles to the gallon fine if someone wants to drive some electric car that has to be plugged in every few miles and gets 100 miles to the gallon fine…

The vehicles I drive get somewhere between eight and 10 miles to the gallon which is fine with me…

The vehicles I drive get more like 25-30 mpg. They're big and they're diesel. My little diesel gets 50-60 mpg. And BTW, electric cars don't get plugged in "every few miles". Some have a range of over 200 miles Driving Range for the Model S Family

And if they perfect flexible solar panels for their rooftops, in sunny regions that range will be vastly extended on a reliable basis for the regular commuters.

Part of eliminating a consumer's right to choose is disinformation circulated with the insidious cause of lobbying to squeeze those types of cars out of the marketplace. Or the appointment of BigOil's Emperor Supreme as the Secretary of State....Or industrial sabotage which is what I suspect happened with VW's very popular jettas, bugs & others.
I have no problem with that, drive what you want. Don't expect anyone else to drive that. Fuel mileage is the least of my concerns with buying a new vehicle…

I have no problem with that, drive what you want. Don't expect anyone else to drive that. Fuel mileage is the least of my concerns with buying a new vehicle…

How can I drive what I want if US Lawmakers have regulated into unaffordability (tariffs/bans imposed on German and other small diesel imports) or unavailability the type of car I want to buy?

Again, it seems the Kings of "let the market decide~!" are pinning the neck of that market to ground. It's like a lemonade stand on the street that went around hogtying up all the other drink vendors on the street and kicking their stands over; then saying to the public walking by "here you can find any drink you want for sale!"

Last year's election was supposed to be about ending tyranny from the far left...not simply switching over to tyranny from the far right.

Last edited:
Those on the left associated with Hollywood should consider starting a series of shows addressing engineering differences in cars, design and types of fuel. This could be an excellent counterpunch to Trump's allegiance to BigOil and their determination to make us a 15 mpg refined gasoline country again.

Make falling into this time-worn trap of BigOil's clunker-engineering look like a supreme act of stupidity.
many people consider fuel efficiency when making a decision to purchase a vehicle.

How can I drive what I want if US Lawmakers have regulated into unaffordability (tariffs/bans imposed on German and other small diesel imports) or unavailability the type of car I want to buy?

Again, it seems the Kings of "let the market decide~!" are pinning the neck of that market to ground. It's like a lemonade stand on the street that went around hogtying up all the other drink vendors on the street and kicking their stands over; then saying to the public walking by "here you can find any drink you want for sale!"

Last year's election was supposed to be about ending tyranny from the far left...not simply switching over to tyranny from the far right.
many people consider fuel efficiency when making a decision to purchase a vehicle.

Not if they can't find the vehicle they want to purchase in American markets....

Not if they can't find the vehicle they want to purchase in American markets....
Why am i not surprised you are on the right, and love guns?

Here you go, "chicken little":

Clean Diesel Vehicles

You are claiming no one may want to earn their bonus by making and selling, fuel efficient cars.

I'm criticizing both the right and left for stupidity.

Let's take the Chevy Canyon for an example of how even with diesel trucks they're doing all they can to reduce efficiency.

Here's a gorgeous snowplow: (from your link) It gets 31mpg on the highway...supposedly. And if you're in snow country, the good news is you won't have to attach a pushing scoop on the front. Chevy already took care of that for you at the factory.

2015-GMC-Canyon-108.jpg

Let's take the Chevy Canyon for an example of how even with diesel trucks they're doing all they can to reduce efficiency.

Here's a gorgeous snowplow: (from your link) It gets 31mpg on the highway...supposedly. And if you're in snow country, the good news is you won't have to attach a pushing scoop on the front. Chevy already took care of that for you at the factory.

2015-GMC-Canyon-108.jpg
Fuel economy is one of the last things I consider, if at all when buying a vehicle...

2015-GMC-Canyon-108.jpg
Fuel economy is one of the last things I consider, if at all when buying a vehicle...
why is that? do you have fuel, expense account?

2015-GMC-Canyon-108.jpg
I just don't care, the more horsepower and torque the better. I've been self-employed for over 20 years so I don't care about an expense account

2015-GMC-Canyon-108.jpg
I just don't care, the more horsepower and torque the better. I've been self-employed for over 20 years so I don't care about an expense account
in other words, gas or diesel, doesn't matter, to you.

1. They are pushing out small diesel passenger cars that get 50-70 mpg. I strongly suspect industrial sabotage on the VW diesel small passenger imports.

Diesel cars are being pushed out by electric cars, which are cleaner and more efficient. Not gasoline powered cars.

Yes, but rich people are in the vast minority. The economy runs off the purchases of the middle class and working poor (99%). So it would behoove car makers not to set up entire factories just to sell a couple dozen cars each year.

So I say again, we should be instead of alienating our ally Germany by imposing tariffs on their good affordable commuter diesels, making our own to compete with them and you know...free market stuff instead of forced-monopolies corralling American consumers away from what they want.

Forum List

Back