Trump's imaginary history

Trump's so stupid. Andrew Jackson died 16 years before the Civil War.

Trump makes puzzling claim about Andrew Jackson, Civil War
<excerpt>
Speaking to the Washington Examiner, Trump wondered why issues that triggered the war “could not have been worked out” in order to prevent the bloody conflict. Trump praised the accomplishments of Jackson, the populist president he has cited as a role model.

He made the puzzling claim that Jackson “was really angry that he saw what was happening in regard to the Civil War.” But Jackson died in 1845, and the Civil War didn't begin until 16 years later, in 1861.

Andrew Jackson stopped secession when he came into office. SC had talked about it for decades.
If im not mistaken, his efforts lead way to the compromise of 1850.
Probably what he was talking about..
People rate that funny, but no one wants to touch it. This is like the media crucifying him for saying that shit about china and korea.. He was right..
Lol you dumbasses will defend Trump no matter what he says. Had Hillary said exactly this, you wouldnt stop whining about it.
You hate it, doncha? :badgrin:
Nah, I just feel sorry for you.
For applying context to history?
I mean, his terminology us shit but he was right
No, he was not.

People rate that funny, but no one wants to touch it. This is like the media crucifying him for saying that shit about china and korea.. He was right..
Lol you dumbasses will defend Trump no matter what he says. Had Hillary said exactly this, you wouldnt stop whining about it.
No, he was not.
Context fakey. You can ignore intent and text and make anything sound like anything.

No, he was not.
Context fakey. You can ignore intent and text and make anything sound like anything.
What's astounding is that you actually think Trump is smart enough for that.

Andrew Jackson stopped secession when he came into office. SC had talked about it for decades.

You mean when Trump announced that he was going to name China as a currency manipulator?

Or when he announced that he found out from the China that solving the NK problem was not quite as simple as he thought?

No, he was not.
What's astounding is that you actually think Trump is smart enough for that.
I think I said I might be giving him too much credit somewhere in this thread

You mean when Trump announced that he was going to name China as a currency manipulator?

Or when he announced that he found out from the China that solving the NK problem was not quite as simple as he thought?
No when he said China was controlled korea

By the later 1850s the issue was over slavery, and Jackson would have backed the South.

The "issue" was over rather a state, or a collection of states, could secede. Jackson, as president, was opposed to secession. What part of "cannot, from that period, possess any right to secede" do you not understand?
Can you imagine if Trump took that tone with California about the succession talks following the election?

LOL- you mean the guy living in Russia who was trying to get people in California interested in secession?

Yeah imagine if Trump had taken that tone......LOL

And Teddy Roosevelt was pissed off about Pearl Harbor
Reagan was really angry over 9-11

Note to President Trump: Andrew Jackson wasn't alive for the Civil War

"I mean, had Andrew Jackson been a little bit later, you wouldn't have had the Civil War."

This is in the vein of imagining various alternate histories of the United States.

"He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart."

Jackson was known for his temper and his loyalty to his friends, so this is OK.

"He was really angry that-- he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War."

Jackson did not, because Jackson was dead.

"He said, 'There's no reason for this.'"

See above.

Alt-right, alt-history, alt-heil.

Drumpf talking about history is like Barney Fife giving lessons on being a Navy Seal. It's like Pat Robertson talking about evolution. Or like gangrene talking about penicillin.

No when he said China was controlled korea
'China was controlled korea'?

What does that even mean?
Well what Trump to believe- the February Trump?
Trump 'not liking' Chinese and North Korean military moves
"I know exactly what's going on between China and North Korea and everybody else," he told Reuters during an interview Thursday. "I'm not liking it."

"Whether they say so or not is up to them, but they have tremendous control over North Korea," he said. "I think they could solve the problem very easily if they want to.”

Or the April Trump?

“After listening for 10 minutes, I realized it’s not so easy,” the president told the Journal. “I felt pretty strongly that they[China] had a tremendous power [over] North Korea. ... But it’s not what you would think.”

I was re-reading Trump's quote- and its hard to tell whether he misspoke or is ignorant.

But I am curious how anyone thinks Jackson would prevented the Civil War.

Certainly I suppose if Jackson was elected in the same election that Lincoln was elected, it would have prevented it- because the Slave States would have beaten the abolitionist movement. Is that what Trump meant?

He made the puzzling claim that Jackson “was really angry that he saw what was happening in regard to the Civil War.”
I think the only way to be puzzled by that claim is to dwell in one's personal version of Oz, whereby it's presumed that Trump is an intelligent man who knows what he's talking about when he says "whatever it is he may say." Upon discarding that premise, however, one is not at all puzzled about Trump's making such remarks. Instead one obtains a few new things to consider that are both befuddling and disconcerting, one of which is thus because it must necessarily be internalized. Which quandary must that be? The one whereby, having any integrity at all, one ponders how the hell one did not sooner see Trump's abject idiocy and ignorance.

Disturbing as that is, it marks the first step on the road to recovery, and that is a very positive thing.

Forum List

Back