Truthmatters' " GOP making it difficult to vote" thread.

I walk into an office building in NYC to work for one of my company's customers... I need to produce a photo ID...Why is it not a good idea to have someone do the same when we are electing someone to represent us in Washington...Seems like we should have been doing this for quite some time now.

I walk into an office building in NYC to work for one of my company's customers... I need to produce a photo ID...Why is it not a good idea to have someone do the same when we are electing someone to represent us in Washington...Seems like we should have been doing this for quite some time now.

I'm sure that office building requires ID just to keep Dems (mostly minorities and the elderly) out of the building / idiocy off

There is no need to make obsticles to voting.

Why do you think its good for the US to have fewer voters?

Because you know it benifits your party.

You put party over country

Well, I suggest you log, off, get out of the trailer ASAP and get down to DMV for your license.

I suggest you get a party that is not anti American
Do you just think all day of stupid things to say.. I mean I think you try to find stupid things to post then defend them.

A poll tax by any other name is still a poll taxes and the Supreme Court ruled them unconstitutional in 1966.

If anyone is required to pay for an ID in order to vote it's a poll tax.

Of course if government offered free ID then that's a different thing.

If anyone is required to travel hundreds of miles to get an ID, even if it's free, it's a poll tax. Of course a huge march could be organized with hundreds of people blocking roads as they march for days, like locusts feeding off the land, to get where they can get a free ID...well, do you want that?

In some parts of the country you have to buy an airline ticket to get to where government IDs can be issued but you can't get on an airplane because that requires a government ID.

If you have to pay anything to vote then that's a poll tax and it's unconstitutional and that includes paying for ID or transportation to a polling place which is why almost everyplace has polling places spaced so people can reasonably walk to one.

Democraps ought pay particular attention to the above 'cause they loves the poor and it's poor folks who get (de facto) taxed big time if they want to cast a ballot!

Exactly..notice how its NOW a thing. Not during the 8 bush years...NOW.

Whats changed?

A poll tax by any other name is still a poll taxes and the Supreme Court ruled them unconstitutional in 1966.

If anyone is required to travel hundreds of miles to get an ID, even if it's free, it's a poll tax. Of course a huge march could be organized with hundreds of people blocking roads as they march for days, like locusts feeding off the land, to get where they can get a free ID...well, do you want that?

In some parts of the country you have to buy an airline ticket to get to where government IDs can be issued but you can't get on an airplane because that requires a government ID.

If you have to pay anything to vote then that's a poll tax and it's unconstitutional and that includes paying for ID or transportation to a polling place which is why almost everyplace has polling places spaced so people can reasonably walk to one.

Democraps ought pay particular attention to the above 'cause they loves the poor and it's poor folks who get (de facto) taxed big time if they want to cast a ballot!

Didn't the SCOTUS also rule Voter ID laws CONSTITUTIONAL?

Kinda fucks up your argument, doesn't it :rofl:

How does it make you feel supporting a party that loves voter suppression?

Nuns prevented from voting....

(AP) About 12 Indiana nuns were turned away Tuesday from a polling place by a fellow bride of Christ because they didn't have state or federal identification bearing a photograph.

Sister Julie McGuire said she was forced to turn away her fellow sisters at Saint Mary's Convent in South Bend, across the street from the University of Notre Dame, because they had been told earlier that they would need such an ID to vote.

The nuns, all in their 80s or 90s, didn't get one but came to the precinct anyway.

"One came down this morning, and she was 98, and she said, 'I don't want to go do that,"' Sister McGuire said. Some showed up with outdated passports. None of them drives.

They weren't given provisional ballots because it would be impossible to get them to a motor vehicle branch and back in the 10-day time frame allotted by the law, Sister McGuire said. "You have to remember that some of these ladies don't walk well. They're in wheelchairs or on walkers or electric carts."

Nuns Turned Away At Ind. Polling Station - CBS News

You're the one who needs to answer that.....I don't see the GOP stationing militant thugs outside polling centers.

You're the one who needs to answer that.....I don't see the GOP stationing militant thugs outside polling centers.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No, the Republicans are just keeping MILLIONS OF ELIGIBLE VOTERS from voting.

And you didn't answer the question.

I'm not a Democrat, so I wouldn't know.

How does it feel, being in a party who thinks their 'base' is too fucking stupid to have proper ID so they can vote?

Proof, please?

Yeah, keeping millions of illegals, and non-US citizens from voting is a very good thing. It saves the integrity of our voting system.

The only voter suppression i've seen, is the dem's posting militant thugs outside polling stations to try and intimidate and suppress voters........I just wish one of 'em would dare try to suppress or intimidate me.

And where's your proof of that so-called suppression.......I've yet to see even one of you provide that proof.

Last edited:
Wisconsin: Governor Scott Walker (R) signed Wisconsin’s voter suppression bill into law Wednesday. Among other things, the bill:

•Changes Wisconsin’s residency requirement from 10 days to 28 days before an election (effective immediately – impacting upcoming special and recall elections);
• Shortens the early (absentee by mail or in-person) voting periods (effective immediately – impacting upcoming special and recall elections);
•Enacts a strict photo ID requirement starting with the 2012 Primary election. Student IDs will be accepted if they contain the student’s photo, signature, and an expiration date no later than 2 years after the date of the election. Student IDs in WI do not currently meet these requirements, so expensive overhauls will have to be undertaken for students to be able to use their college/university ID cards as voter ID;
•Even though ID isn’t required until 2012, poll workers will have to ask voters for ID at the polling place during upcoming elections – a “trial run” sure to cause widespread confusion and have a chilling effect on participation;
•College student voters who need to prove their residency and are using their student ID must also provide a fee payment receipt from their school dated no more than 9 months prior to the election or must appear on a certified list of on-campus students provided by their university or college to the clerk.
Tennessee: A photo ID bill was passed and sent to the Governor Bill Haslam (R) for signature on Monday. On Monday Governor Haslam also signed into law a proof of citizenship requirement for voter registration, effective January 1, 2012.

Texas: Governor Rick Perry (R) has until Monday to sign, veto, or let pass without signature the photo ID bill passed by the legislature last week. His staff is reportedly reviewing it. But since Perry declared voter photo ID an emergency issue this legislative session, there is little doubt he will sign. Due to its history of discrimination, Texas is another state that must receive federal approval for changes to its voting laws, so the bill will still need to be approved by the U.S. Department of Justice or the D.C. federal district court before it can be implemented.

Missouri: This week ourthoughts are with the victims of violent storms and flooding in Missouri. Understandably, we are still waiting to see if Governor Jay Nixon decides to veto recently passed legislation, which would automatically enact a photo ID requirement if voters approve a proposed constitutional amendment in 2012. He has until July 14 to decide.

North Carolina: Last week,the House approved a bill to shorten early voting from two weeks to one week. Director of Elections Gary Bartlett has reportedly written in a memo to State Elections Board members that the bill would likely cause longer lines at the polling place and actually cost the state more money to run elections. The extra costs are attributed to an anticipated increase in the need for absentee ballots and additional Election Day polling locations.

New Hampshire: When we last blogged, the House had passed an amended version of the Senate photo ID bill and sent it to the Finance Committee. This week, the Finance Committee approved the bill in an 18-8 vote, with two Republicans voting against the bill alongside Democrats. This sends it back to the House floor, where it is scheduled for a vote next Wednesday. It is expected to pass and be sent back to the Senate, where it could go to the floor immediately or be sent to a conference committee.

Maine: Action on a bill to end Election Day Registration was expected in the House yesterday, but it didn’t run. The bill, which would close in-person registration on the third day before an election, is expected to be taken up next week. Separately, we remain concerned about pending photo ID legislation that could still move.

Ohio: The recently-passed House elections bill has now been referred to the Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee. This week, the Senate passed its own omnibus bill, sending it over to the House, where it will be referred to committee. The Senate bill, drafted in large part by Secretary of State Jon Husted’s (R) office and anticipated to be the vehicle through which changes end up being made, would (among other things): eliminate Golden Week (when Ohioans can register to vote and cast an absentee ballot at the same time) by shortening the absentee voting windows, and prohibit counties from sending out absentee ballot applications unless they are specifically requested. Absentee voting by mail would be shortened to a 21-day period. Absentee in-person voting (known as “early voting”) would be reduced to 16 days, prohibited on Sundays, and eliminated entirely on the weekend before Election Day.

Weekly Voter ID Update: WI and TN disenfranchise voters, TX and MO close at their heels - Campus Progress

Wisconsin: Governor Scott Walker (R) signed Wisconsin’s voter suppression bill into law Wednesday. Among other things, the bill:

•Changes Wisconsin’s residency requirement from 10 days to 28 days before an election (effective immediately – impacting upcoming special and recall elections);
• Shortens the early (absentee by mail or in-person) voting periods (effective immediately – impacting upcoming special and recall elections);
•Enacts a strict photo ID requirement starting with the 2012 Primary election. Student IDs will be accepted if they contain the student’s photo, signature, and an expiration date no later than 2 years after the date of the election. Student IDs in WI do not currently meet these requirements, so expensive overhauls will have to be undertaken for students to be able to use their college/university ID cards as voter ID;
•Even though ID isn’t required until 2012, poll workers will have to ask voters for ID at the polling place during upcoming elections – a “trial run” sure to cause widespread confusion and have a chilling effect on participation;
•College student voters who need to prove their residency and are using their student ID must also provide a fee payment receipt from their school dated no more than 9 months prior to the election or must appear on a certified list of on-campus students provided by their university or college to the clerk.
Tennessee: A photo ID bill was passed and sent to the Governor Bill Haslam (R) for signature on Monday. On Monday Governor Haslam also signed into law a proof of citizenship requirement for voter registration, effective January 1, 2012.

Texas: Governor Rick Perry (R) has until Monday to sign, veto, or let pass without signature the photo ID bill passed by the legislature last week. His staff is reportedly reviewing it. But since Perry declared voter photo ID an emergency issue this legislative session, there is little doubt he will sign. Due to its history of discrimination, Texas is another state that must receive federal approval for changes to its voting laws, so the bill will still need to be approved by the U.S. Department of Justice or the D.C. federal district court before it can be implemented.

Missouri: This week ourthoughts are with the victims of violent storms and flooding in Missouri. Understandably, we are still waiting to see if Governor Jay Nixon decides to veto recently passed legislation, which would automatically enact a photo ID requirement if voters approve a proposed constitutional amendment in 2012. He has until July 14 to decide.

North Carolina: Last week,the House approved a bill to shorten early voting from two weeks to one week. Director of Elections Gary Bartlett has reportedly written in a memo to State Elections Board members that the bill would likely cause longer lines at the polling place and actually cost the state more money to run elections. The extra costs are attributed to an anticipated increase in the need for absentee ballots and additional Election Day polling locations.

New Hampshire: When we last blogged, the House had passed an amended version of the Senate photo ID bill and sent it to the Finance Committee. This week, the Finance Committee approved the bill in an 18-8 vote, with two Republicans voting against the bill alongside Democrats. This sends it back to the House floor, where it is scheduled for a vote next Wednesday. It is expected to pass and be sent back to the Senate, where it could go to the floor immediately or be sent to a conference committee.

Maine: Action on a bill to end Election Day Registration was expected in the House yesterday, but it didn’t run. The bill, which would close in-person registration on the third day before an election, is expected to be taken up next week. Separately, we remain concerned about pending photo ID legislation that could still move.

Ohio: The recently-passed House elections bill has now been referred to the Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee. This week, the Senate passed its own omnibus bill, sending it over to the House, where it will be referred to committee. The Senate bill, drafted in large part by Secretary of State Jon Husted’s (R) office and anticipated to be the vehicle through which changes end up being made, would (among other things): eliminate Golden Week (when Ohioans can register to vote and cast an absentee ballot at the same time) by shortening the absentee voting windows, and prohibit counties from sending out absentee ballot applications unless they are specifically requested. Absentee voting by mail would be shortened to a 21-day period. Absentee in-person voting (known as “early voting”) would be reduced to 16 days, prohibited on Sundays, and eliminated entirely on the weekend before Election Day.

Weekly Voter ID Update: WI and TN disenfranchise voters, TX and MO close at their heels - Campus Progress

How many people were PREVENTED from voting because of these laws? Link please?

Voter suppression is a proud Republican tradition.

It's what they do.

martha-stewart-wagging-finger.jpg

Suppressing dead and illegal voters is a very good thing.

Yeah, keeping millions of illegals, and non-US citizens from voting is a very good thing. It saves the integrity of our voting system.

The only voter suppression i've seen, is the dem's posting militant thugs outside polling stations to try and intimidate and suppress voters........I just wish one of 'em would dare try to suppress or intimidate me.

You are either a liar or you are living in a fantasy world.

The Bush administration spent millions of dollars trying to find cases of voter fraud and only came up with a handleful most of which were people who voted in the wrong district. Why? BECAUSE THERE IS NO VOTER FRAUD.

How many people were PREVENTED from voting because of these laws? Link please?

Wisconsin’s population is substantially less likely to have a state-issued identification. A University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee study showed the following about those without state-issued driver’s license and who would need to obtain photo identification under the Wisconsin voter ID bill:

• Over 178,000 elderly Wisconsinites.

• 17 percent of white men and women.

• 55 percent of African-American men and 49 percent of African-American women.

• 46 percent of Hispanic men and 59 percent of Hispanic women.

• 78 percent of African-American men age 18-24 and 66 percent of African-American women age 18-24.

Additional statistics about Wisconsin lack of accessible Division of Motor Vehicles offices compared to Indiana:

• 26 percent of Wisconsin’s 91 DMVs are open one day a month or less, while none of Indiana’s are open less than 100 days a year and nearly all are open over 250 days a year.

• Wisconsin has only one DMV with weekend hours, while Indiana has 124 offices with weekend hours.

• Three Wisconsin counties have no DMVs, no Indiana county is without a DMV.

• Over half of Wisconsin’s 91 DMVs are open on a part-time basis, while Indiana provides full-time DMVs in every county.

Republican claims of widespread voter irregularity have long been debunked. After a two-year investigation, Republican Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen has found only 11 potentially improper votes cast out of nearly 3 million votes in 2008. The former Wisconsin U.S. attorney under George W. Bush, Steve Biskupic, concluded after a similar investigation that there was no widespread voter fraud. The majority of charges in all of these cases involved felons who were technically ineligible to vote.

Scot Ross: Why voter ID bill may be unconstitutional

Forum List

Back