TULIP (God calls some to atheism)

Apparently I have to be dumb enough to believe in a magical afterlife or Christianity will not yield its full benefit.

Christianity is not just a kick ass philosophical system with strong similarities with stoicism but Christianity is full blown psychological therapy as well. I get it but that doesn’t mean God exists. It just means resigning your mind feels good. That explains why so many people fall for it hook, line, and sinker. I could but I worry it would hinder the ambitious side of my existence.
No. You have to be dumb enough to believe that doing the right thing, the right way for the right reason isn't its own reward and that everyone who believes in God must only do things to either get a reward or avoid being punished. What's the view like looking down on people of faith from your high horse? Cause from my vantage point, you looking down on them isn't a good look.

Apparently I have to be dumb enough to believe in a magical afterlife or Christianity will not yield its full benefit.

Christianity is not just a kick ass philosophical system with strong similarities with stoicism but Christianity is full blown psychological therapy as well. I get it but that doesn’t mean God exists. It just means resigning your mind feels good. That explains why so many people fall for it hook, line, and sinker. I could but I worry it would hinder the ambitious side of my existence.
No. You have to be dumb enough to believe that doing the right thing, the right way for the right reason isn't its own reward and that everyone who believes in God must only do things to either get a reward or avoid being punished. What's the view like looking down on people of faith from your high horse? Cause from my vantage point, you looking down on them isn't a good look.

I don’t have a problem with people dishonestly claiming to believe in Jesus. That is a functional person that bows to sociological forces and enjoys the traditions of Christianity.

The Christians that bother me are the sincere ones. They are just setting themselves up to be conned by all sorts of people. When you believe outlandish claims for the purpose of feeling good then you are ripe for the picking when any good salesman knocks on your door. People so easily manipulated are great for the wicked men of this world to recruit soldiers to perform their dirty work.

Liars who pretend God is real are not a problem. It is the ones who truly believe that are a danger. To preserve my sanity I try to believe most Christians are just liars basking in the comfort of holding a popular position.

From what I can tell, you reject Christianity fully but like the God bit. You are probably benign and not as vulnerable to manipulation. You actually think for yourself and reject the parts of the Bible that are stupid.

The Christians that bother me are the sincere ones. They are just setting themselves up to be conned by all sorts of people.
Those who bother me most are the ones who sincerely believe they know what someone believes, and how and why they came to that belief. Your fear for me (and other people of faith) is unfounded. Be not afraid... ;)

The Christians that bother me are the sincere ones. They are just setting themselves up to be conned by all sorts of people.
Those who bother me most are the ones who sincerely believe they know what someone believes, and how and why they came to that belief. Your fear for me (and other people of faith) is unfounded. Be not afraid... ;)

You are right. I don’t know if they are pretending to believe in Jesus or they actually believe in Jesus. I just have to hope most of them are lying about it.

I am not afraid of you. You reject the parts of the Bible that you do not like.

You are right. I don’t know if they are pretending to believe in Jesus or they actually believe in Jesus. I just have to hope most of them are lying about it.
believe in jesus or the christian bible, rare and far between are who believe the events of the 1st century who are not christian - including, most of all, the religious itinerant himself.

"Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny Me three times."

Would you be astonished to hear that I think you are lying about not believing in Jesus, that it is just a pretense? If so, you will understand our astonishment. Mostly it is an astonishment that you believe you have the ability to read minds and hearts and forget that humans have this uncanny ability to deflect their own thinking onto others.

Here is what I know: Jesus said he came for the lost; and it was Jesus that dropped me (so-to-speak) directly into the lap of the Father. Because I know this I tend to hold the belief that if people were really, truly determined to have an experience or relationship with God, it can happen. However, most people want God on his/her own terms, and are unwilling to meet God on His terms.

Try to understand: Just as I strongly believe people can seek and find God, you strongly believe people cannot. Telling people they cannot is the greater lie.

I don’t have a problem with people dishonestly claiming to believe in Jesus. That is a functional person that bows to sociological forces and enjoys the traditions of Christianity.

The Christians that bother me are the sincere ones. They are just setting themselves up to be conned by all sorts of people. When you believe outlandish claims for the purpose of feeling good then you are ripe for the picking when any good salesman knocks on your door. People so easily manipulated are great for the wicked men of this world to recruit soldiers to perform their dirty work.

Liars who pretend God is real are not a problem. It is the ones who truly believe that are a danger. To preserve my sanity I try to believe most Christians are just liars basking in the comfort of holding a popular position.

From what I can tell, you reject Christianity fully but like the God bit. You are probably benign and not as vulnerable to manipulation. You actually think for yourself and reject the parts of the Bible that are stupid.
Which one am I? The liars who pretends God is real? Or the sincere one - who believes outlandish claims for the purpose of feeling good - who is setting himself up to be conned by all sorts of people?

Do I seem like I am vulnerable to manipulation? Cause your manipulation doesn't seem to be working on me right now, now does it?

But let me flip that around... how do you know you aren't the one being manipulated? How do you know you aren't the one that can't see reality? I mean after all, you have already admitted to being bamboozled by one group, right? How do you know you aren't being bamboozled by another? Seems like you are the one with a track record of being manipulated.

Not sure how you came to your conclusion that I reject Christianity and parts of the Bible. Maybe if you understood Catholic thought you wouldn't have made that error or been bamboozled and manipulated by both groups.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. One of those things is being OK with you pursuing the intellectually stimulating dead end of atheism. I say go and enjoy your atheism. Be all the atheist you can be. Because I am really enjoying your rationalizations of how atheism has made you happier. Because everyone knows that people show how happy they are about something by criticizing the path they aren't taking. Nothing says you love what you are doing by talking about what you aren't doing.

Total depravity means we are hopelessly wicked without God.
Total depravity means we are hopelessly wicked without God.
Please. the God character has worse morals and ethics than the average toddler.
That's a common misconception. It comes from the seemingly different perception between the Old and New Testaments. The Gnostics made the same mistake. They just reached a different stupid conclusion than the stupid conclusion you have reached.

You misspelled... "we reject your silly understanding of the Bible." Maybe if you didn't attend Westboro Baptist Church you wouldn't have accepted such silly interpretations without thinking for yourself.

You misspelled... "we reject your silly understanding of the Bible." Maybe if you didn't attend Westboro Baptist Church you wouldn't have accepted such silly interpretations without thinking for yourself.
you wouldn't have accepted such silly interpretations without thinking for yourself.
such as believing the - creator of the universe - lived in mary's womb for 9 months ... you are who is afraid without your makebelieve and self serving messiah.

you wouldn't have accepted such silly interpretations without thinking for yourself.
such as believing the - creator of the universe - lived in mary's womb for 9 months ... you are who is afraid without your makebelieve and self serving messiah.
Yep. Such as the Creator of existence choosing to be born into this world to testify to the truth and suffer death to reconcile justice with mercy. Maybe if you and vasuderatorrent had shared in Christ's experience in suffering death - as He intended - you would have been humbled enough to die to self too and see reality.

Last edited:

But don't stop there, OK? Let's talk about my silly belief that Mary was blessed before she was born, lived her entire life sin free and was assumed into heaven. That's what the early Christians believed.

Clarification: I'm just an atheist who's much enjoyed reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and who's remained blissfully unaware of the wealth of Pastafarian prose that's existed out there. So thanks! All very funny, thought provoking stuff. I've just been substituting "Flying Spaghetti Monster" for "God" or "gods" now and then since they're all the same to me so why not go with the silliest version? Must've confused a bunch of people.. 'Spose I'll have to stop doing that now.. Oh well.

I say go and enjoy your atheism. Be all the atheist you can be. Because I am really enjoying your rationalizations of how atheism has made you happier.

You are extremely wrong. I was way way way much happier when I was a believing Christian. Atheism is a much more miserable existence. Where did you get the idea that atheists are happier than Christians?

Personally I was just happier as a Christian. I also observe Christians to be much happier than atheists.

Would you be astonished to hear that I think you are lying about not believing in Jesus, that it is just a pretense? If so, you will understand our astonishment. Mostly it is an astonishment that you believe you have the ability to read minds and hearts and forget that humans have this uncanny ability to deflect their own thinking onto others.

Here is what I know: Jesus said he came for the lost; and it was Jesus that dropped me (so-to-speak) directly into the lap of the Father. Because I know this I tend to hold the belief that if people were really, truly determined to have an experience or relationship with God, it can happen. However, most people want God on his/her own terms, and are unwilling to meet God on His terms.

Try to understand: Just as I strongly believe people can seek and find God, you strongly believe people cannot. Telling people they cannot is the greater lie.

Why should I be seeking God? That actually makes no sense at all.

What has prompted me to seek God? That actually makes no sense at all.

What is the prize for finding God when you seek Him? That actually makes no sense at all.

You keep accusing me of being unable to find God because I suck ass. I’m not looking for Him. That would make me an imbecile to look for something that has clearly been described to me as invisible.

Dude if someone wants to find God then I am sure they can create Him. I don’t doubt you. I’m not looking for God. That is about as dumb as searching for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It’s actually stupider because one has the promise of gold.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. One of those things is being OK with you pursuing the intellectually stimulating dead end of atheism. I say go and enjoy your atheism. Be all the atheist you can be. Because I am really enjoying your rationalizations of how atheism has made you happier. Because everyone knows that people show how happy they are about something by criticizing the path they aren't taking. Nothing says you love what you are doing by talking about what you aren't doing.

You are extremely wrong. I was way way way much happier when I was a believing Christian. Atheism is a much more miserable existence. Where did you get the idea that atheists are happier than Christians?

Personally I was just happier as a Christian. I also observe Christians to be much happier than atheists.
Do atheists not have a sarcasm detector?

Your apparent mode of operation is to criticize what you don't believe to arrive at what you do believe without ever having to examine what you believe. You don't have beliefs you have arguments against beliefs. You might as well be building your castle in sand.

Again... God is reality and the only way anyone will ever see reality is to die to self. When you can do that you will see how God has worked in your life.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back