Two Classical Liberals discuss the Regressives

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
"The Regressives have taken over academia. They have literally hijacked the institutions, and now they're institutionalizing these policies which are really rather extreme. Any classical liberal would be horrified by their speech codes, microaggressions, trigger warnings - it's horrifying.

"They're basically robbing a generation of people of the possibility of being able to think clearly and critically."

"They have to start being honest in realizing that, if their values really are true, then they have to subject those values to scrutiny. We have to create environments where, in the marketplace of ideas, we can have a discourse. And we're doing the opposite."

These two liberals are concerned that the actions and behaviors of the Regressive Left are, in fact, assisting the other "side". They posit that the intentions of these people may be decent or noble, but they simply don't realize how their actions are hurting the Left.

That's what commitment to a partisan ideology does: It distorts perceptions, it disfigures thought processes, it clouds rational judgement.

While voices like these are being ignored by the Regressives, for obvious reasons, at least it's out there.

Last edited:
"The Regressives have taken over academia. They have literally hijacked the institutions, and now they're institutionalizing these policies which are really rather extreme. Any classical liberal would be horrified by their speech codes, microaggressions, trigger warnings - it's horrifying.

"They're basically robbing a generation of people of the possibility of being able to think clearly and critically."

These two liberals are concerned that the actions and behaviors of the Regressive Left are, in fact, assisting the other "side". They posit that the intentions of these people may be decent or noble, but they simply don't realize how their actions are hurting the Left.

That's what commitment to a partisan ideology does: It distorts perceptions, it disfigures thought processes, it clouds rational judgement.

While voices like these are being ignored by the Regressives, for obvious reasons, at least it's out there.

You mean to left wing ideology.....fascism like this occurs only there...

Under the Obama regime, Teachers forced students to sing the praise of the Libtard leader, In some instances kids were chastised and threatened if they dared to betray a patriotic sentiment or Heaven forbid, an anti-Obama opinion.
The Times Educational Supplement TES - Education Jobs, Teaching Resources, Magazine & Forums which claims to be The largest network of teachers in the world recently sent out a call to arms to teachers to Brainwash Children Against Trump and Brexit.

Every step forward is hard work and will be met with resistance from those who are rigid in their life and in their thinking. One only has to read history to see how many obstacles were overcome and are now a natural part of life. Not a lot of time but let me post a few links etc.

"Which are the arguments and how many are there? I must have an inbred urge toward symmetry. In canvassing for the principal ways of criticizing, assaulting, and ridiculing the three successive "progressive" thrusts of Marshall's story, I have come up with another triad: that is, with three principal reactive-reactionary theses, which I call the perversity thesis or thesis of the perverse effect, the futility thesis, and the jeopardy thesis. According to the perversity thesis, any purposive action to improve some feature of the political, social, or economic order only serves to exacerbate the condition one wishes to remedy. The futility thesis holds that attempts at social transformation will be unavailing, that they will simply fail to "make a dent." Finally, the jeopardy thesis argues that the cost of the proposed change or reform is too high as it endangers some previous, precious accomplishment." Albert Hirschman 'The Rhetoric of Reaction'

Thank a liberal Thank a Liberal

Why do people hate Liberals? post# 114
Why do people hate Liberals? post# 1604

"President Eisenhower describes his administration's political philosophy as 'dynamic conservatism,' then as 'progressive, dynamic conservatism,' then as 'progressive moderation,' then as 'moderate progressivism,' and then as 'positive progressivism.'" William Manchester quote from 'The Power and the Glory'

Every step forward is hard work and will be met with resistance from those who are rigid in their life and in their thinking. One only has to read history to see how many obstacles were overcome and are now a natural part of life. Not a lot of time but let me post a few links etc.

"Which are the arguments and how many are there? I must have an inbred urge toward symmetry. In canvassing for the principal ways of criticizing, assaulting, and ridiculing the three successive "progressive" thrusts of Marshall's story, I have come up with another triad: that is, with three principal reactive-reactionary theses, which I call the perversity thesis or thesis of the perverse effect, the futility thesis, and the jeopardy thesis. According to the perversity thesis, any purposive action to improve some feature of the political, social, or economic order only serves to exacerbate the condition one wishes to remedy. The futility thesis holds that attempts at social transformation will be unavailing, that they will simply fail to "make a dent." Finally, the jeopardy thesis argues that the cost of the proposed change or reform is too high as it endangers some previous, precious accomplishment." Albert Hirschman 'The Rhetoric of Reaction'

"President Eisenhower describes his administration's political philosophy as 'dynamic conservatism,' then as 'progressive, dynamic conservatism,' then as 'progressive moderation,' then as 'moderate progressivism,' and then as 'positive progressivism.'" William Manchester quote from 'The Power and the Glory'
Should college campuses actively promote, support and protect all views?

No. And I'm sure every Christian conservative college in the country would agree with me.

No. And I'm sure every Christian conservative college in the country would agree with me.
Thanks for your honesty, and for once again putting words in the mouths of others.

The guys in the video nailed it.

Thanks for your honesty, and for once again putting words in the mouths of others.

Show me the conservative Christian colleges that welcome all views.

Why?

The Regressives are perfectly comfortable admitting they don't think college campuses should welcome all ideas.

Just remember, these people are NOT liberals. That's about as illiberal as you can get.

Frankly, I think colleges are a scam.

But I went to college in the 1980's (you know, when they still had standards and didn't do commercials) and saw the same kind of stuff Mac is whining about now. A bunch of people in the Student Body and the Faculty who take themselves SO DAMNED SERIOUSLY.

When I was a College Conservative (shit, I was young and didn't know any better), I dealt with this guy who was the President of the Black Student Organization, who was constantly filing complaints against various committees.

He told me, "I've been on this campus for 10 years and nothing ever changes." To which i answered, "What the heck are you still doing here after 10 years? Are you anywhere close to getting your bachelor's, because that was the point."

What colleges should be about and arent' is preparing young people to be productive citizens

when you go to a christian college you know what you're getting

a secular college is a different matter

I'm sure when you go to a neo-Nazi rally you know what you're getting too. How does that make it okay?

Why?

To prove that your obsession with this issue is non-partisan.

Okay, so if a college is supposed to welcome ALL views,

doesn't that mean that they should also welcome the view that not all views are welcome?

I'm sure when you go to a neo-Nazi rally you know what you're getting too. How does that make it okay?

How does a neo nazi rally compare to a college?

Oh yeah it doesn't

Conservatives harp on this constantly. With that, if you believe them, you know what you're getting at a secular college.

Maybe if more conservatives wanted to be teachers instead of bankers, there would be more political balance in our schools.

Forum List

Back