Tyranny of the Majority and Mob Rule...

No one on the right that I'm aware of has a problem with the people voting and honoring the results of that vote even if they disagree with the outcome. They do have a problem with the government using leagal trickery or procedural manvueres to get things passed they couldn't otherwise.

So you've never ever heard anyone, including here, use the term 'mob rule' to attack democracy?
I don't read every post or thread on here some probabaly have maybe even some from the left possibly even you.

Terms that conservatives commonly use to disparage democracy, or more precisely, direct democracy.

The Brexit vote was direct democracy. Haven't heard any conservatives calling it tyranny or mob rule.

I wonder why?

It was a vote for all of them to be free, not a vote by one group to take something away from another group.

It's not surprising that you don't grok the distinction.

Terms that conservatives commonly use to disparage democracy, or more precisely, direct democracy.

The Brexit vote was direct democracy. Haven't heard any conservatives calling it tyranny or mob rule.

I wonder why?

It was a vote for all of them to be free, not a vote by one group to take something away from another group.

So democracy is not mob rule if you like the outcome. Got it. This is my point, people.

Let me ask you this, if the vote had been different by a couple percentage points, and staying in the EU had won,

would your enthusiasm for direct democracy be the same?

No one on the right that I'm aware of has a problem with the people voting and honoring the results of that vote even if they disagree with the outcome. They do have a problem with the government using leagal trickery or procedural manvueres to get things passed they couldn't otherwise.

So you've never ever heard anyone, including here, use the term 'mob rule' to attack democracy?
I don't read every post or thread on here some probabaly have maybe even some from the left possibly even you.

lol, that's a typical conservative dodge.

I wonder why?
Nope not at all,they had to reach bench marks ,it wasn't what you claim.

I wonder why?

Why? Because they voted in favor of freedom rather than tyranny. We don't complain about democracy when the majority votes to uphold the First Amendment either.

But then, this poster completely flip flops when he doesn't like the possible outcome:

The Destructive Effects of Government

all of the sudden direct democracy is tyranny of the majority.

I wonder why?
Nope not at all,they had to reach bench marks ,it wasn't what you claim.

A referendum isn't direct democracy? what is direct democracy, that thing conservatives routinely complain about?

I wonder why?

So democracy is not mob rule if you like the outcome. Got it. This is my point, people.

Let me ask you this, if the vote had been different by a couple percentage points, and staying in the EU had won,

No Moron. Democracy within a framework of Constitutionally Protect Individual Rights, i.e. A Rule of Law, places limits on the majority. In a proper Democracy, the majority are not allowed to mug the minority just because they are the majority.

All groups of people are not mobs, difficult as that is for a member of the thugocracy such as yourself to comprehend.

Why would the OP and all others like him ,drag another nations voting ,into their silly left/ right gotta find something to pointy hate filled finger at obsession.
Must get a shiver up their leg

Why would the OP and all others like him ,drag another nations voting ,into their silly left/ right gotta find something to pointy hate filled finger at obsession.
Must get a shiver up their leg

Because people around here are hypocritically praising a process that they routinely disparage.

I wonder why?

No Moron. Democracy within a framework of Constitutionally Protect Individual Rights, i.e. A Rule of Law, places limits on the majority. In a proper Democracy, the majority are not allowed to mug the minority just because they are the majority.

All groups of people are not mobs, difficult as that is for a member of the thugocracy such as yourself to comprehend.

So you side with the court that struck down California's 'direct democracy' referendum known as Proposition 8?

I'm guessing you're about to do a nice back flip.

I wonder why?

What minority or individual is being oppressed?

That's not a stipulation when conservatives rant against democracy vs. republic.

I wonder why?

Still butthurt ehh ? :laugh:

NYC is in a permanent state of Butthurt. He buys Boudreaux's in 50 Gallon Drums.

81yJUU57ztL._SX522_.jpg

I wonder why?

I'm not for or against the UK being in the EU. I'm not against direct democracy where practical. I'm not against the courts having the power of judicial review,

including on referenda. Anything else you want to know?

I wonder why?

NYC is in a permanent state of Butthurt. He buys Boudreaux's in 50 Gallon Drums.

View attachment 79437

Personal attacks are the weakest arguments. Such is your nature.

The Brexit vote was direct democracy.

Actually, it was nothing more than an advisory referendum. The matter is still in the hands of Parliament. So you fail.

You're the first person I've seen to make that claim. So you're saying that Parliament can veto this and all the people around here who are praising the referendum are going to happily go back to believing that direct democracy sucks?

lol

Forum List

Back