Tyranny of the Majority and Mob Rule...

Terms that conservatives commonly use to disparage democracy, or more precisely, direct democracy.

The Brexit vote was direct democracy. Haven't heard any conservatives calling it tyranny or mob rule.

I wonder why?

“Not only is democracy mystical nonsense, it is also immoral. If one man has no right to impose his wishes on another, then ten million men have no right to impose their wishes on the one, since the initiation of force is wrong (and the assent of even the most overwhelming majority can never make it morally permissible). Opinions—even majority opinions—neither create truth nor alter facts. A lynch mob is democracy in action. So much for mob rule.”
-Ayn Rand

I'm not surprised you can't see the absurdity of that statement.

You're quoting someone who is effectively saying that the 52% of Brits who voted to leave LYNCHED the 48% who voted to stay.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Again, I'm not sure why the people of the UK were given this power to vote on this. It was either a miscalculation or, more than likely, they have something else up their sleeve.

That they got to vote on it is an exercise in direct democracy. You're either for that, or against that. Given how often you hear conservatives disparaging such democracy as 'mob rule',

you'd think they'd be against it.

Democracy isn't the problem. Unlimited government power is the problem. When you combine it with democracy, you get mob rule.

Terms that conservatives commonly use to disparage democracy, or more precisely, direct democracy.

The Brexit vote was direct democracy. Haven't heard any conservatives calling it tyranny or mob rule.

I wonder why?

“Not only is democracy mystical nonsense, it is also immoral. If one man has no right to impose his wishes on another, then ten million men have no right to impose their wishes on the one, since the initiation of force is wrong (and the assent of even the most overwhelming majority can never make it morally permissible). Opinions—even majority opinions—neither create truth nor alter facts. A lynch mob is democracy in action. So much for mob rule.”
-Ayn Rand

You're quoting someone who is effectively saying that the 52% of Brits who voted to leave LYNCHED the 48% who voted to stay.

Again, I'm not sure why the people of the UK were given this power to vote on this. It was either a miscalculation or, more than likely, they have something else up their sleeve.

That they got to vote on it is an exercise in direct democracy. You're either for that, or against that. Given how often you hear conservatives disparaging such democracy as 'mob rule',

Democracy isn't the problem. Unlimited government power is the problem. When you combine it with democracy, you get mob rule.

How do you propose to take away from the People their right to decide how big or small their government is?

-Ayn Rand

How do you propose to take away from the People their right to decide how big or small their government is?

What do you mean?

the left sure has butt hurt over the brits

deciding on self rule

--LOL

looks like five more countries are gunna split as well

--LOL
Actually not.

In fact, liberals see the UK vote as further confirmation that our Constitutional Republic, where citizens are subject to the rule of law, not ‘simple majorities,’ is infinitely preferable to a direct democracy, where when the majority is wrong there’s recourse to correct that mistake.

For example, the majority of voters in Utah were wrong to enact Amendment 3, denying gay Americans access to that state’s marriage law; and that mistake was corrected by the Supreme Court when Amendment 3 and other such measures were struck down because they violated the 14th Amendment, consistent with the rule of law.

The genius of the American Republic is its ability to safeguard the rights and protected liberties of all citizens from the tyranny of ‘majority rule.’

actually there are five more considering leaving

"Why? Because they voted in favor of freedom rather than tyranny. We don't complain about democracy when the majority votes to uphold the First Amendment either."
How was voluntarily being a member of a group with elected representatives "tyranny"?
I'm not voluntarily a member of that group.

Why would the OP and all others like him ,drag another nations voting ,into their silly left/ right gotta find something to pointy hate filled finger at obsession.
Must get a shiver up their leg

Because people around here are hypocritically praising a process that they routinely disparage.
The process is still mob rule, no matter what the result. Even a dictator can do the right thing on occasion. That doesn't make dictatorship a moral form of government.

I wonder why?

You seem confused.

mob rule
  1. control of a political situation by those outside the conventional or lawful realm, typically involving violence and intimidation.
Mob rule is leftist tool, civilized people solve their problems using ballots.

I wonder why?
I object to tyranny whether it's done by the majority or the minority.

I wonder why?
I object to tyranny whether it's done by the majority or the minority.

You mean like everything Obama has done?

I wonder why?

You seem confused.

mob rule
  1. control of a political situation by those outside the conventional or lawful realm, typically involving violence and intimidation.

You seem to be oblivious to the fact that democracy gets called mob rule on a regular basis.

I wonder why?

You seem confused.

mob rule

You seem to be oblivious to the fact that democracy gets called mob rule on a regular basis.
Mob rule is when democracy is used as an excuse to exceed Constitutional limits on government power. Some of you seem to think that, as long as it's the will of the majority, anything goes.

I wonder why?

Why? Because they voted in favor of freedom rather than tyranny. We don't complain about democracy when the majority votes to uphold the First Amendment either.

So you admit that the conservative attacks on direct democracy are purely partisan, and have nothing to do with principle.

No shit, Mr. Obvious.
Remind me shit for brains how we whine about elections for all city county State and federal offices except President?

I wonder why?

Why? Because they voted in favor of freedom rather than tyranny. We don't complain about democracy when the majority votes to uphold the First Amendment either.

So you admit that the conservative attacks on direct democracy are purely partisan, and have nothing to do with principle.

No shit, Mr. Obvious.

So you think freedom is a "partisan" issue? I suppose you are right. Only one party places a value on freedom.

You place no value on freedom because you reject the use of government to protect freedoms.

I wonder why?

You seem confused.

mob rule

Mob rule is when democracy is used as an excuse to exceed Constitutional limits on government power. Some of you seem to think that, as long as it's the will of the majority, anything goes.

Now you're all running away from your original disparagements of democracy and majority rule.

I wonder why?

No shit, Mr. Obvious.
Remind me shit for brains how we whine about elections for all city county State and federal offices except President?

Did you whine when the big evil central federal government stepped in and struck down Chicago's gun ban?

Did you stand up for local government over big federal government then?

I wonder why?

What minority or individual is being oppressed?

That's not a stipulation when conservatives rant against democracy vs. republic.

Yes, it is.

Conservatives just

a. As it is one of the FOUNDING PRINCIPLES of this nation, already know it and know that all conservatives listening know it.

and

b. know that you lefties aren't listening anyway.

All your song and dance is just a comical attempt to advance whatever peculiar form of government you believe adheres to your partisan conservative agenda.

I wonder why?
Because most on the right are inconsistent hypocrites.

And the Brexit vote is further proof of the folly of direct democracy, and that the American Constitutional Republic with its representative democracy is far superior, as in the United States such an important matter would not have been left up to a ‘referendum’ and ‘simple majority rule’ – indeed, which is why the Constitution guarantees the states a republican form of government, and makes no provision for ‘national referenda.’

And when the RW'ers get a Court decision they don't like they immediately label it as a tyrannical act committed by 'unelected judges'.

You furthered my point, in a way.
Your point is spot-on.

And when the Court rules in a manner conservatives approve of, those ‘unelected judges’ are suddenly no longer ‘tyrants in black robes.’

Again, conservatives can’t have it both ways.

One day they're telling us that the Constitution never gave the Court the power of judicial review, the next day their giving the court a standing ovation for striking down a law they don't like.

IOW, they are shameless hypocrites.

If the Brexit decision had gone the other way they'd be pissing and moaning about referendum being a perfect example of what's wrong with direct democracy.

I wonder why?

You seem confused.

mob rule

Now you're all running away from your original disparagements of democracy and majority rule.

What are you even talking about? I've never disparaged democracy. I've disparaged unlimited majority rule. Do you really not understand the difference?

I wonder why?

No shit, Mr. Obvious.

So you think freedom is a "partisan" issue? I suppose you are right. Only one party places a value on freedom.

You place no value on freedom because you reject the use of government to protect freedoms.

Which ones? Which freedoms are you talking about?

I wonder why?

You seem confused.

mob rule

What are you even talking about? I've never disparaged democracy. I've disparaged unlimited majority rule. Do you really not understand the difference?

All majority rule is unlimited unless the majority self-limits.

Forum List

Back