Tyranny of the Majority and Mob Rule...

The Brexit vote was direct democracy.

Actually, it was nothing more than an advisory referendum. The matter is still in the hands of Parliament. So you fail.

You're the first person I've seen to make that claim. So you're saying that Parliament can veto this and all the people around here who are praising the referendum are going to happily go back to believing that direct democracy sucks?

lol

:lol:

Yes, Parliament can essentially veto it. As for how the whackadoodles will react, I've given up trying to make sense of them.

Terms that conservatives commonly use to disparage democracy, or more precisely, direct democracy.

The Brexit vote was direct democracy. Haven't heard any conservatives calling it tyranny or mob rule.

I wonder why?
Because most on the right are inconsistent hypocrites.

And the Brexit vote is further proof of the folly of direct democracy, and that the American Constitutional Republic with its representative democracy is far superior, as in the United States such an important matter would not have been left up to a ‘referendum’ and ‘simple majority rule’ – indeed, which is why the Constitution guarantees the states a republican form of government, and makes no provision for ‘national referenda.’

Terms that conservatives commonly use to disparage democracy, or more precisely, direct democracy.

The Brexit vote was direct democracy. Haven't heard any conservatives calling it tyranny or mob rule.

I wonder why?

And the Brexit vote is further proof of the folly of direct democracy, and that the American Constitutional Republic with its representative democracy is far superior, as in the United States such an important matter would not have been left up to a ‘referendum’ and ‘simple majority rule’ – indeed, which is why the Constitution guarantees the states a republican form of government, and makes no provision for ‘national referenda.’

And when the RW'ers get a Court decision they don't like they immediately label it as a tyrannical act committed by 'unelected judges'.

You furthered my point, in a way.

I wonder why?
Nope not at all,they had to reach bench marks ,it wasn't what you claim.

A referendum isn't direct democracy? what is direct democracy, that thing conservatives routinely complain about?
It wasn't a majority only wins vote,but you know that.

the left sure has butt hurt over the brits

deciding on self rule

--LOL

looks like five more countries are gunna split as well

--LOL
Actually not.

In fact, liberals see the UK vote as further confirmation that our Constitutional Republic, where citizens are subject to the rule of law, not ‘simple majorities,’ is infinitely preferable to a direct democracy, where when the majority is wrong there’s recourse to correct that mistake.

For example, the majority of voters in Utah were wrong to enact Amendment 3, denying gay Americans access to that state’s marriage law; and that mistake was corrected by the Supreme Court when Amendment 3 and other such measures were struck down because they violated the 14th Amendment, consistent with the rule of law.

The genius of the American Republic is its ability to safeguard the rights and protected liberties of all citizens from the tyranny of ‘majority rule.’

I wonder why?

It was a vote for all of them to be free, not a vote by one group to take something away from another group.

It's not surprising that you don't grok the distinction.

So democracy is not mob rule if you like the outcome. Got it. This is my point, people.

Let me ask you this, if the vote had been different by a couple percentage points, and staying in the EU had won,

would your enthusiasm for direct democracy be the same?
Correct.

Those on the inconsistent right approve of ‘simple majorities’ when the outcome conforms with errant, wrongheaded conservative dogma, such as the majority seeking to deny women their right to privacy.

But when the majority enacts measures that rightists don’t approve of, such as banning certain types of firearms, conservatives file suit in Federal court to have such measures overturned, contrary to the ‘will of the people.’

Conservatives can’t have it both ways: if the majority is wrong to ban certain types of firearms, then they just as wrong to deny a woman her right to privacy, or gay Americans their right to marry.

I wonder why?

And when the RW'ers get a Court decision they don't like they immediately label it as a tyrannical act committed by 'unelected judges'.

You furthered my point, in a way.
Your point is spot-on.

And when the Court rules in a manner conservatives approve of, those ‘unelected judges’ are suddenly no longer ‘tyrants in black robes.’

Again, conservatives can’t have it both ways.

I wonder why?

What minority or individual is being oppressed?

That's not a stipulation when conservatives rant against democracy vs. republic.

Yes, it is.

Conservatives just

a. As it is one of the FOUNDING PRINCIPLES of this nation, already know it and know that all conservatives listening know it.

and

b. know that you lefties aren't listening anyway.

I wonder why?

Still butthurt ehh ? :laugh:

NYC is in a permanent state of Butthurt. He buys Boudreaux's in 50 Gallon Drums.

View attachment 79437

Personal attacks are the weakest arguments. Such is your nature.

2508061-2637968900-32215.jpg

large.jpg

5eed4559ba2602674b707e19cf6290be.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

gty_480064128_74375466.jpg

Dude. As a lefty, you don't get to complain about personal attacks.

As that is ALL YOU LEFTIES HAVE OR DO.

I wonder why?

It was a vote for all of them to be free, not a vote by one group to take something away from another group.

So democracy is not mob rule if you like the outcome. Got it. This is my point, people.

Let me ask you this, if the vote had been different by a couple percentage points, and staying in the EU had won,

Correct.

Those on the inconsistent right approve of ‘simple majorities’ when the outcome conforms with errant, wrongheaded conservative dogma, such as the majority seeking to deny women their right to privacy.

...y.

Clayton?

You really smart. I wanted ask a question.

Hyptetically, if I ordered Pizza, and pulled pizza guy into house, and killed him, kept pizza and money,

COuld I claim Right to Privacy to hide murder? Since it is in my house?

I wonder why?

Correct.

...y.

Clayton?

You really smart. I wanted ask a question.

Hyptetically, if I ordered Pizza, and pulled pizza guy into house, and killed him, kept pizza and money,

COuld I claim Right to Privacy to hide murder? Since it is in my house?

You have no clue how rights in the Constitution work if you don't know the answer to that question.

I wonder why?

Still butthurt ehh ? :laugh:

NYC is in a permanent state of Butthurt. He buys Boudreaux's in 50 Gallon Drums.

View attachment 79437

Personal attacks are the weakest arguments. Such is your nature.

2508061-2637968900-32215.jpg

large.jpg

5eed4559ba2602674b707e19cf6290be.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

gty_480064128_74375466.jpg

Dude. As a lefty, you don't get to complain about personal attacks.

As that is ALL YOU LEFTIES HAVE OR DO.

So prove that this thread is nothing but a personal attack on you.

I wonder why?

“Not only is democracy mystical nonsense, it is also immoral. If one man has no right to impose his wishes on another, then ten million men have no right to impose their wishes on the one, since the initiation of force is wrong (and the assent of even the most overwhelming majority can never make it morally permissible). Opinions—even majority opinions—neither create truth nor alter facts. A lynch mob is democracy in action. So much for mob rule.”
-Ayn Rand

The issue here is whether the UK wants people to rule over them in the EU that they can't vote for or against. Any chink in the armor of the collectivist means greater freedom. Why they even let them vote on this is beyond me. It's like in the US, the only direct vote we have is whether or not to fund our children's school because they know we would not vote for all the other crap they want to force down our throats.

I think this quote from Frederich Dougless sums up how the people in the UK felt about the EU vote.
"I didn't know I was a slave until I found out I couldn't do the things I wanted."

I say that the collectivists have not raised the white flag here. They will find a way to subvert the freedom of the people of the UK eventually.

Last edited:

I wonder why?

“Not only is democracy mystical nonsense, it is also immoral. If one man has no right to impose his wishes on another, then ten million men have no right to impose their wishes on the one, since the initiation of force is wrong (and the assent of even the most overwhelming majority can never make it morally permissible). Opinions—even majority opinions—neither create truth nor alter facts. A lynch mob is democracy in action. So much for mob rule.”
-Ayn Rand

I'm not surprised you can't see the absurdity of that statement.

You're quoting someone who is effectively saying that the 52% of Brits who voted to leave LYNCHED the 48% who voted to stay.

I wonder why?

"It's different when we do it."

I wonder why?

-Ayn Rand

You're quoting someone who is effectively saying that the 52% of Brits who voted to leave LYNCHED the 48% who voted to stay.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Again, I'm not sure why the people of the UK were given this power to vote on this. It was either a miscalculation or, more than likely, they have something else up their sleeve.

I wonder why?

-Ayn Rand

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Again, I'm not sure why the people of the UK were given this power to vote on this. It was either a miscalculation or, more than likely, they have something else up their sleeve.

That they got to vote on it is an exercise in direct democracy. You're either for that, or against that. Given how often you hear conservatives disparaging such democracy as 'mob rule',

you'd think they'd be against it.

Forum List

Back