U.S. employees set to be forced to give bosses their Facebook PASSWORDS

Because you say so

Because their is no controlling authority.

To a leftist - all is legal to the government unless there is a law prohibiting it. Under our constitution, only that which is enumerated directly, is legal to the government.

Your position is stupid, and you know it. It isn't meant to be rational, it's meant to elicit mindless emotion. It's demagoguery based on "fear, uncertainty, and doubt."

Produce even a single documented case of an employer firing a person for refusing to give a FB password?

We all know you can't - because this whole thing is a farce - bullshit spread to promote FUD.

...well, let me ponder on that fact based rebuttal

You fuckers are irrational morons.

Will people really cough up this kind of info just because their employer asks? Are we that pathetic?

No, it's never happened.

This just the typical leftist bullshit of creating a false crisis and passing laws to address situations that never existed.

It's fucking stupid.

This reminds me of the case of OK passing a statute against the application of Sharia Law in their courts. Another example of passing a law addressing a situation that never existed.

Because you say so

Because their is no controlling authority.

To a leftist - all is legal to the government unless there is a law prohibiting it. Under our constitution, only that which is enumerated directly, is legal to the government.

Your position is stupid, and you know it. It isn't meant to be rational, it's meant to elicit mindless emotion. It's demagoguery based on "fear, uncertainty, and doubt."

Produce even a single documented case of an employer firing a person for refusing to give a FB password?

We all know you can't - because this whole thing is a farce - bullshit spread to promote FUD.

...well, let me ponder on that fact based rebuttal

You fuckers are irrational morons.

Your position is sound from all of the name calling I can see you have a valid point. Use of the word fucker actually helps drive home the legal point your were trying to make...not really

But...How....Uh...But...Uncensored said it wasn't happening. How could someone who calls sooo many names be so ignorant of the facts?

I said no one had ever been fired. And they haven't.

IF the story is valid, then the HR manager set the company up for a lawsuit. And yes, I would sue in that case - and win.

Further, the top link notes that 99% of those asking are - wait for it - government agencies. The second link times out, but also looks to point up that GOVERNMENT, not private industry, is the group infringing on people. Big surprise there.

So no liberal can actually answer the question of where in CISPA does it state that employers have a right to ask employees their FB passwords (or any other password).

Now liberals are saying that because no law exists that explicitly bans an employer from doing so, then they have a right to do so.

Not sure I understand this logic. Email is already considered "protected communications" by laws such as the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986. Such laws require that the government obtain a search warrant in order to tap or access such messages.

In the case of employers, a company does have the right to filter / access all communications going through their communications network. For example if you use your personal email at work, it is most likely going through their firewalls, web proxies, ect., and subject to filtering, scanning, deep packet inspection ect. This is done primarily to prevent attacks that occur through such means, such as a virus coming into their network via private email attachment. These types of scans do not require anyone to know your password.

However such a company would have no authority to do so when you are accessing the web or email on your own computer on your own network(or a public network).

As for facebook and similar accounts, since those include private messaging, I would assume they fall under the same rules as email. Its all electronic messaging one way or another. I understand that an employer can fire someone for pretty much any reason they want, but its an awful big leap to say its perfectly legal for an employer to ask for your password.

You're a fucking idiot.

This doesn't exist - stupid.

Your boss has no legal right to ask you any password, nor for the combination to your bike lock.

You fucknuts are billowing smoke from utterly nothing.

Uncensored, let me know when you get off that wheel of bullshit.

I did not say it is not happening. In fact, I actually posted a thread about it once. The absurd part, in my opinion, was that people handed over their passwords, not that they were asked. The problem here is that CISPA allows the government to ask for information from Facebook, and get it, without a warrant. They wouldn't need your password, they can see everything you do, and never have to tell you about it. It would also be impossible to sue them over it. Some idiot just through in the password thing to fool the idiots who think government should be able to get into your accounts but no one else should.

Sure it is. If it benefits you and your corporation.
Sad statement about our Country.

Pro-CISPA Companies Out-Lobby Anti-CISPA Groups

Supporters of the controversial cyber-security legislation CISPA have already spent $605 million to lobby for the bill's passage, according to a watchdog group.

That's the amount supporters of the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) spent from 2011 to the fall of 2012, according to non-partisan research group MapLight. While the bill languished last summer, CISPA was re-introduced in nearly the same form this February and resoundingly passed the House of Representatives in a 288-127 vote last week.

According to MapLight's figures, AT&T has already spent $34 million, Comcast nearly $32 million, and Verizon over $27 million as part of its lobbying efforts. These three companies are on the record supporting CISPA. Interest groups supporting CISPA have donated nearly $68 million to members of the House, compared to $4 million by CISPA opponents. Among the key tech companies actively opposing the bill, Mozilla has contributed $2,000, according to MapLight.

money in politics is a good thing?

Uncensored, let me know when you get off that wheel of bullshit.

{Asking for a candidate's password is more prevalent among public agencies, especially those seeking to fill law enforcement positions such as police officers or 911 dispatchers.

Back in 2010, Robert Collins was returning to his job as a correctional officer at the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services after taking a leave following his mother's death. During a reinstatement interview, he was asked for his login and password, purportedly so the agency could check for any gang affiliations. He was stunned by the request but complied.

"I needed my job to feed my family. I had to," he recalled.

After the ACLU complained about the practice, the agency amended its policy, asking instead for job applicants to log in during interviews.

"To me, that's still invasive. I can appreciate the desire to learn more about the applicant, but it's still a violation of people's personal privacy," said Collins, whose case inspired Maryland's legislation.

Until last year, the city of Bozeman, Mont., had a long-standing policy of asking job applicants for passwords to their email addresses, social-networking websites and other online accounts.

And since 2006, the McLean County, Ill., sheriff's office has been one of several Illinois sheriff's departments that ask applicants to sign into social media sites to be screened.}

Looks like the only ones doing this, are your beloved government agencies.

Still, not a single case of anyone getting fired...

Not one.

{ last minute alteration to the controversial Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) that would have prevented employers demanding that prospective employees disclose social media passwords as a condition of employment was voted down in the house of representatives.}

Has the EVER, I mean even once, happened?

Employers don't give a fuck about your facebook password. We block it at the firewall and that's the end of it

Yes, yes it has happened..

Are those goal posts heavy?

First it never happens because no one cares. Then you're proven wrong and you change it too no one has been fired. Next you'll change it to "no one has been fired...on a Tuesday!!" and continue to throw your pathetic hands in the air to claim victory to something you just made up

Last edited:
Yes, yes it has happened..

Are those goal posts heavy?

First it never happens because no one cares. Then you're proven wrong and you change it too no one has been fired. Next you'll change it to "no one has been fired...on a Tuesday!!" and continue to throw your pathetic hands in the air to claim victory to something you just made up

I should have taken into account government. Hard to be more petty and less sensible than government agencies.

Do they go to jail if they say no? Are they arrested if they get up and walk out of the interview? If not, there is no reason for me to get upset about it.

No, they probably don't get the job - notice that these were job interviewers asking for the passwords. That's what these companies are counting on. Desperate people who NEED a job, and who will do anything to get one. It's pretty disgusting behavior, if you ask me.

Forum List

Back