U.S. government sues to block vouchers in some Louisiana school systems

The end result is a two tier educational system, good schools for the wealthy and upper middle kids and crappy schools for the rest of the kids.

You mean exactly the way there is now with public schools?

Any school that has a large percent of blacks will be a shitty school.

There is no harm in having private schools. Only when government takes money from public schools to support private schools is there a problem which is exactly what vouchers and other methods of funneling money to private schools do.

That's not how they are funding this in Louisiana, which you would know if you had read the article.

Well, if countries such as South Korea and Japan as well as Finland, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Iceland, Estonia, Switzerland, and Norway are not comparable to the US because of their size, ethnic make up, or "mind set", then we must also set aside their higher achievement scores as not being comparable. In which case, the US is not doing near as bad compared to other nations as the headlines would lead us to believe. So instead of being ranked at 13, the US would be at 4th.

There is no harm in having private schools. Only when government takes money from public schools to support private schools is there a problem which is exactly what vouchers and other methods of funneling money to private schools do.

That's not how they are funding this in Louisiana, which you would know if you had read the article.
If you look at the program once it expands in a few years, the vouchers will take money and probably a lot of it from public schools.

If you look at the program once it expands in a few years, the vouchers will take money and probably a lot of it from public schools.

Great, more money to put toward each parent's vouchers.

Why does Holder hate black people??? Seriously you'd think he'd want blacks to go to good schools.

An educated populace can support themselves and don't need the government to provide for them. Self reliance is a problem for the Democratic Party.

Self-reliance? I guess you didn't notice in your own link that the voucher program cost the taxpayers an additional $5000 per student.

If the private system works, and the government subsidizes tuition for those who need it, where is the harm...

We want an education system that works...that's the goal.

Is the means really that important?

huh? if the kids doesn't go to the school why should they get the money for the head count....?:rolleyes:

ahh but they do, never underestimate the power of the NEA and assorted crooks, the student is limited in what the district will allow to be taken, the benchmark I believe is 65%, so in affect the school gets 35% of the money for a student they don't have......

I already spoke to that, see above. my question stands too.....

Why does Holder hate black people??? Seriously you'd think he'd want blacks to go to good schools.

An educated populace can support themselves and don't need the government to provide for them. Self reliance is a problem for the Democratic Party.

Self-reliance? I guess you didn't notice in your own link that the voucher program cost the taxpayers an additional $5000 per student.

:lol: oh so now you're worried about education spending? :lol: getdafugouttahere...:eusa_hand:

$5,000 and they get an empty seat with more to spend on remaining students.

The whole point of vouchers is to provide an alternative to the failing public schools.

I suppose the public school system COULD do something to make that unnecessary, but that would require educators to actually focus on education instead of salary and benefits.

:lol: oh so now you're worried about education spending? :lol: getdafugouttahere...:eusa_hand:

You want to socialize the private school system with huge taxpayer subsidy. That's hilarious.

You want to socialize the private school system with huge taxpayer subsidy. That's hilarious.

no, instead of subsiding failure factories like the DC school system, I am all for blowing some cash on something with a better chance of giving these kids a chance at a quality education and the DC system can spare it as I am all for the district giving up the cash they get per head to give to kids to get a chance somewhere else, DC spends $29,409 per pupil and for that they get a 59%( actually 58.6%) graduate rate to look forward too, the worst in the nation last year.....

here-

dcskools.jpg

please note that Sidwell Friends is where Malia & Sasha go......in 2009 obama took a dive as congress killed the DC voucher program...I'd think for elite private school money they deserve more than what DC is delivering , don't you? Then again they bombed out Michele Rhee by making it impossible for her to continue to work there, because, well, you tell me.....:rolleyes:

The cost of vouchers is going to be a lot higher than that once the program is fully implemented. The state is required by the constitution and states laws to provide an education to every child in the state. That means the state will be supporting a the public school system and a private/public system.

The cost of vouchers is going to be a lot higher than that once the program is fully implemented. The state is required by the constitution and states laws to provide an education to every child in the state. That means the state will be supporting a the public school system and a private/public system.

I've been telling the rightwingers for years that vouchers are a big time new government spending program and they would throw a tantrum of denial every time I did.

no, instead of subsiding failure factories like the DC school system, I am all for blowing some cash on something with a better chance of giving these kids a chance at a quality education and the DC system can spare it as I am all for the district giving up the cash they get per head to give to kids to get a chance somewhere else, DC spends $29,409 per pupil and for that they get a 59%( actually 58.6%) graduate rate to look forward too, the worst in the nation last year.....

here-

dcskools.jpg

please note that Sidwell Friends is where Malia & Sasha go......in 2009 obama took a dive as congress killed the DC voucher program...I'd think for elite private school money they deserve more than what DC is delivering , don't you? Then again they bombed out Michele Rhee by making it impossible for her to continue to work there, because, well, you tell me.....:rolleyes:

DC is not in Louisiana I hate to break it to you and ruin your irrelevant rant.

You cannot take a kid out of a public school and assume that the district automatically saves the per pupil cost in that school district.

Do you know what economies of scale are?

here-

dcskools.jpg

One thing you neglected is schools like Sidewell Friends have admission requirements. In fact, Sidewell's admission rate is about 20%. Like most private schools, they pick the students they feel will be successful. If each of public schools in DC were able to pick and choose their students, no special ed kids, no delinquents, and no at risk kids, they could drastically reduce their costs.

Comparing private schools to public schools is not a fair comparison.

The problem is the voucher system only destroys the system but does not rebuild it.

And simply dumping more money into a broken system doesn't fix it either. Introducing competition to the system is certainly a step towards repairing it.

Competition is good....let's have public schools that get to pick and choose their clientele.

With our public schools, there is obviously never improvement, and the indoctrination only increases. A voucher system could start to produce private schools with many new ideas and skills with unlimited potential for giving our children a bright future.

Forum List

Back