U.S. Police Chiefs Call For Background Checks For All Gun Purchases

562f7c181400001b013c936e.jpeg

This is a no-brainer, this is the simplest thing in the world."

CHICAGO, Oct 26 (Reuters) - Police chiefs from across the United States called on Monday for universal background checks for firearms purchases, saying opinion polls consistently show that most Americans support such restrictions.

The proliferation of firearms is one of the factors behind a rise in homicide rates in many U.S. cities this year, according to senior law enforcement officials at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in Chicago.

Acknowledging the power of the gun lobby and the reluctance of Congress to enact stricter gun laws, the police chiefs told a news conference they were not anti-gun but wanted to keep weapons out of the hands of people with criminal backgrounds.

Current rules on background checks apply to licensed dealers, but up to 40 percent of firearms sales involve private parties or gun shows and do not require checks, the chiefs said.

"This is a no-brainer, this is the simplest thing in the world," Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said. "It troubles me all the time."

Backing the effort is an alliance of organizations representing police chiefs and executives, such as the Major Cities Chiefs Association and groups representing women, Hispanic and African-American law enforcement executives and police chiefs, as well as campus law enforcement administrators.

McCarthy said he was passionate about the issue after four years on the job in Chicago, which has more shootings and killings than other big cities like New York and Los Angeles and where police seize illegal guns at a much higher rate.

The police leaders called for expansion of background checks to cover all gun purchases and for a stronger background check system to ensure all agencies share the same records including criminal and mental health backgrounds.

More: U.S. Police Chiefs Call For Background Checks For All Gun Purchases

So, the question becomes: Who knows best - the NRA gun nutters or U.S. police chiefs? I'm guessing that "the Major Cities Chiefs Association and groups representing women, Hispanic and African-American law enforcement executives and police chiefs, as well as campus law enforcement administrators" know best.

Gun ownership is a Constitutional Right....like voting. Why should either require an I.D.?

Should criminals, mentally ill, and domestic abusers be allowed to own guns?

Are they allowed to now?

NOPE!

The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits certain people from possessing a firearm. The possession of any firearm by one of these "prohibited persons" is a felony offense. It is also a felony for any person, including a registered Federal Firearms Licensee to sell or otherwise transfer any firearm to a person knowing or having "reasonable cause" to believe that the person receiving the firearm is prohibited from firearm possession. There are nine categories of persons prohibited from possessing firearms under the Gun Control Act:

Persons under indictment for, or convicted of, any crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding on year;
  • Fugitives from justice;
  • Persons who are unlawful users of, or addicted to, any controlled substance;
  • Persons who have been declared by a court as mental defectives or have been committed to a mental institution;
  • Illegal aliens, or aliens who were admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
  • Persons who have been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces;
  • Persons who have renounced their United States citizenship;
  • Persons subject to certain types of restraining orders; and
  • Persons who have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

The problem is, sparky, that they all aren't even being fed into the existing background checks system. From the OP:

The police leaders called for expansion of background checks to cover all gun purchases and for a stronger background check system to ensure all agencies share the same records including criminal and mental health backgrounds.

Hey stupid, background checks go through (NCIC) National Crime Information Center, which includes information on people subject to orders of protection, or a restraining order; and the NICS Index, which includes illegal immigrants and those who’ve been involuntarily committed to a mental institution.

They want to cover private sales and gun show sales. Good luck getting private citizens on board.

You didn't correct squat. My statement was accurate.

Nope. You quoted the OP, which is an article about police chiefs who want background checks for gun shows. You then said, "There is already a law mandating background checks on gun purchases."

For most states, there are no background checks mandated for gun shows, which I pointed out.

I corrected you, and you've been butt hurt since. You obviously jumped into the conversation without any idea what the subject was: background checks at gun shows and private sales.

Nope...all licensed dealers must conduct background checks....they are targeting private sales at gun shows.....

Why would any law-abiding gun owner oppose universal background checks for ALL firearms purchases? Right now, about 40% of all gun purchases are falling through the legal cracks. We should close those cracks!

The 40% number is a lie…and that he repeated that lie shows he is an asshole gun grabber…...

All these Police Chiefs are lying and you know better.....Right....

Yep, Jimbo.

Police Are More Dangerous To The Public Than Are Criminals

Of course we all know who is telling the truth. I guess you lose...

Citing the popularity of an idea is not the same as showing it will be effective in reducing crime. It will not. Oregon has UBC and we see how that turned out a couple of weeks ago.
Such measures are nothing more than an attempt to stick it to lawful gun owners. It will not reduce crime one bit.
A mass shooting is not evidence background checks don't work. Any more than a mass shooting is not evidence that laws against murder don't work.

80,000 a year turned away is evidence background checks do work. That's 80,000 people who otherwise would have a gun right now who shouldn't.

To prove background checks aren't effective, you'll have to show all 80,000 go on to get a gun anyway.

those people got their guns.....they were turned down for clerical errors not because they were criminals trying to buy guns...

Why would any law-abiding gun owner oppose universal background checks for ALL firearms purchases? Right now, about 40% of all gun purchases are falling through the legal cracks. We should close those cracks!

I don't oppose it for one. Just don't think it's gonna do anything.

If it saves one kid sitting in a classroom trying to learn, is it worth a try? Of course it is.
It wont save one kid. It costs lives. If it costs one life is it worth it?

That is conjecture based on an NRA ad. Get over it please.

Nope. You quoted the OP, which is an article about police chiefs who want background checks for gun shows. You then said, "There is already a law mandating background checks on gun purchases."

For most states, there are no background checks mandated for gun shows, which I pointed out.

I corrected you, and you've been butt hurt since. You obviously jumped into the conversation without any idea what the subject was: background checks at gun shows and private sales.

Nope...all licensed dealers must conduct background checks....they are targeting private sales at gun shows.....

Once again:

Current rules on background checks apply to licensed dealers, but up to 40 percent of firearms sales involve private parties or gun shows and do not require checks, the chiefs said.

I've been to a lot of guns shows, large and small. Most of the small gun shows are all private sellers. At the large gun shows, it's about a 50/50 mix between private sellers and storefront owners.

You meet some real whackadoos at the small gun shows.

Every time I go to one, somebody tries to recruit me into a militia.

CHICAGO, Oct 26 (Reuters) - Police chiefs from across the United States called on Monday for universal background checks for firearms purchases, saying opinion polls consistently show that most Americans support such restrictions.

The proliferation of firearms is one of the factors behind a rise in homicide rates in many U.S. cities this year, according to senior law enforcement officials at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in Chicago.

Acknowledging the power of the gun lobby and the reluctance of Congress to enact stricter gun laws, the police chiefs told a news conference they were not anti-gun but wanted to keep weapons out of the hands of people with criminal backgrounds.

"This is a no-brainer, this is the simplest thing in the world," Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said. "It troubles me all the time."

Backing the effort is an alliance of organizations representing police chiefs and executives, such as the Major Cities Chiefs Association and groups representing women, Hispanic and African-American law enforcement executives and police chiefs, as well as campus law enforcement administrators.

McCarthy said he was passionate about the issue after four years on the job in Chicago, which has more shootings and killings than other big cities like New York and Los Angeles and where police seize illegal guns at a much higher rate.

So, the question becomes: Who knows best - the NRA gun nutters or U.S. police chiefs? I'm guessing that "the Major Cities Chiefs Association and groups representing women, Hispanic and African-American law enforcement executives and police chiefs, as well as campus law enforcement administrators" know best.

Gun ownership is a Constitutional Right....like voting. Why should either require an I.D.?

The fascists don't see it as a Constitutional right - its a lot easier to fuck with people if they are disarmed.

The fascists don't see it as a Constitutional right - its a lot easier to fuck with people if they are disarmed.

Another NRA ad. OBAMA IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS!

It's sadly funny when gun nutters try to act smarter than nationwide police officials. If gun nutters simply allowed "universal background checks" - this debate could end. What's the problem?

I am for mandatory insurance as well... Why should taxpayers pick up all of the $229bn cost each year.

We x trillion debt and we are subsidizing gun owners, stop the freeloaders.

Simply another way to price out gun ownership. Why do you hate poor people?

So you don't believe in paying your way....

Gun ownership is a right but do you support free guns or free housing?

There is already a law mandating background checks on gun purchases.

You obviously don't understand what 'Universal' means

Once again:

And that is a lie.......

The 40% number is a lie…and that he repeated that lie shows he is an asshole gun grabber…...

All these Police Chiefs are lying and you know better.....Right....

Yep, Jimbo.

Police Are More Dangerous To The Public Than Are Criminals
Cops kill more people than criminals, eh?

Did the German Gestapo murder 6,000,000 human beings?

How many blacks were murdered by the southern slave states?

Did the Davidians deserve to be terrorized then slaughtered?

Can the cops become criminals?

I notice you didn't answer the question.

On background checks....

Why Background Checks Couldn’t Stop Dylan Roof

For gun purchases, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives dropped over 94 percent of “initial denials” after just the first preliminary review. The annual National Instant Criminal Background Check System report explains that these cases were dropped either because the additional information showed that the wrong people had been stopped or because the covered offenses were so many decades old that the government decided not to prosecute. At least a fifth of the remaining 6 percent were still false positives.

All these denials mean delays for many law-abiding gun buyers. Although this is merely an inconvenience for most, initial denials cause dangerous delays for people who suddenly, legitimately need a gun for self-defense, such as a woman being stalked by an ex-boyfriend or spouse.

Beyond the crashes in the computers doing the checks and the initial denials, another 6 percent of checks fail to be completed within two hours, with most delays winding up taking three days.

Indeed, my own research suggests these delays from the background check system likely increase violent crime, even if ever so slightly. Perhaps not too surprisingly, rape appears to be the crime most sensitive to these delays.

Furthermore, there is no real scientific evidence among criminologists and economists that background checks actually reduce crime. In fact, a 2004 National Academy of Sciences panel concluded that the Brady background checks didn’t reduce any type of violent crime. Nor have other later studies found a beneficial effect.

The number of criminals stopped by the checks is also quite small. In 2010, there were over 76,000 initial denials, but only 44 of those were deemed worthy for prosecution by the federal government and only 13 individuals were convicted. Even those 13 cases don’t tend to be the “dangerous” criminals Obama claims are being stopped. There are additional state prosecutions, but those are rare as well.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/10/why-background-checks-couldnt-stop-dylan-roof/#ixzz3pntPnFgf

Once again:

And that is a lie.......
Link?

I don't oppose it for one. Just don't think it's gonna do anything.

If it saves one kid sitting in a classroom trying to learn, is it worth a try? Of course it is.
It wont save one kid. It costs lives. If it costs one life is it worth it?

That is conjecture based on an NRA ad. Get over it please.

Yo dingle berry

Since the majority of criminals are male, is it ok if we execute them at birth, I mean if it will save a female child's life, I think it will be worthy. Right?

As has been proven, showing an ID has prevented 80,000 people a year from buying a gun who should not have one.

No one has ever shown that Voter ID has prevented or is the only means to stop the types of voter fraud which occur.

Apples and oranges fallacy.

Forum List

Back