U.S. Police Chiefs Call For Background Checks For All Gun Purchases

Why would any law-abiding gun owner oppose universal background checks for ALL firearms purchases? Right now, about 40% of all gun purchases are falling through the legal cracks. We should close those cracks!
We already have this in California.

They can't check if you've had an abortion nor if you are being treated for mental illness both fall under right to privacy.

Why would any law-abiding gun owner oppose universal background checks for ALL firearms purchases? Right now, about 40% of all gun purchases are falling through the legal cracks. We should close those cracks!

I don't oppose it for one. Just don't think it's gonna do anything.

If it saves one kid sitting in a classroom trying to learn, is it worth a try? Of course it is.
It wont save one kid. It costs lives. If it costs one life is it worth it?

That is conjecture based on an NRA ad. Get over it please.

Yo dingle berry

Since the majority of criminals are male, is it ok if we execute them at birth, I mean if it will save a female child's life, I think it will be worthy. Right?

So murdering all males will save lives, eh?

Man, you are seriously retarded. Is a nurse doing your typing for you?

because we know you twats won't stop there. It's telling that these pleas come from police chiefs in cities that do every single thing they can to make sure law abiding people have as difficult of a time as possible getting a gun.

He can go pound sand.
Imagine if the US tried to pull an England and took guns away from the cops. I bet he'd sing a different tune.

Good grief when is the last time you people went to a gun show if ever? All of the booths at our local gun shows are local area gun dealers that already have to perform background checks at gun shows. I can't even remember the last time I saw a private party trying to sell a gun at a gun show. They are not going to rent a booth to sell a couple of guns.

And this notion that a wanted criminal is going to go to a public gun show packed with law enforcement, security, and video cameras to try to buy a gun illegally is absurd. The campaign of lies and half truths fomented by gun control advocates is astonishing. Gun shows are not some kind of wild west unregulated free for all that's a big fat lie!

562f7c181400001b013c936e.jpeg

This is a no-brainer, this is the simplest thing in the world."

CHICAGO, Oct 26 (Reuters) - Police chiefs from across the United States called on Monday for universal background checks for firearms purchases, saying opinion polls consistently show that most Americans support such restrictions.

The proliferation of firearms is one of the factors behind a rise in homicide rates in many U.S. cities this year, according to senior law enforcement officials at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in Chicago.

Acknowledging the power of the gun lobby and the reluctance of Congress to enact stricter gun laws, the police chiefs told a news conference they were not anti-gun but wanted to keep weapons out of the hands of people with criminal backgrounds.

Current rules on background checks apply to licensed dealers, but up to 40 percent of firearms sales involve private parties or gun shows and do not require checks, the chiefs said.

"This is a no-brainer, this is the simplest thing in the world," Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said. "It troubles me all the time."

Backing the effort is an alliance of organizations representing police chiefs and executives, such as the Major Cities Chiefs Association and groups representing women, Hispanic and African-American law enforcement executives and police chiefs, as well as campus law enforcement administrators.

McCarthy said he was passionate about the issue after four years on the job in Chicago, which has more shootings and killings than other big cities like New York and Los Angeles and where police seize illegal guns at a much higher rate.

The police leaders called for expansion of background checks to cover all gun purchases and for a stronger background check system to ensure all agencies share the same records including criminal and mental health backgrounds.

More: U.S. Police Chiefs Call For Background Checks For All Gun Purchases

So, the question becomes: Who knows best - the NRA gun nutters or U.S. police chiefs? I'm guessing that "the Major Cities Chiefs Association and groups representing women, Hispanic and African-American law enforcement executives and police chiefs, as well as campus law enforcement administrators" know best.

Gun ownership is a Constitutional Right....like voting. Why should either require an I.D.?
As has been proven, showing an ID has prevented 80,000 people a year from buying a gun who should not have one.

No one has ever shown that Voter ID has prevented or is the only means to stop the types of voter fraud which occur.

Apples and oranges fallacy.

The number of criminals stopped by the checks is also quite small. In 2010, there were over 76,000 initial denials, but only 44 of those were deemed worthy for prosecution by the federal government and only 13 individuals were convicted. Even those 13 cases don’t tend to be the “dangerous” criminals Obama claims are being stopped. There are additional state prosecutions, but those are rare as well.

Irrelevant. The only thing that could stop Roof is to repeal the Second Amendment, which is not going to happen.

However, background checks do stop 80,000 people a year from getting a gun who shouldn't have one.

That is a lie.....
I provided at least two links showing it is true.

So you don't get to just go, "Nuh uh!"

Doesn't work that way.

I don't oppose it for one. Just don't think it's gonna do anything.

If it saves one kid sitting in a classroom trying to learn, is it worth a try? Of course it is.

Yo dingle berry

Since the majority of criminals are male, is it ok if we execute them at birth, I mean if it will save a female child's life, I think it will be worthy. Right?

No but letting all women conceal and carry would help.

CHICAGO, Oct 26 (Reuters) - Police chiefs from across the United States called on Monday for universal background checks for firearms purchases, saying opinion polls consistently show that most Americans support such restrictions.

The proliferation of firearms is one of the factors behind a rise in homicide rates in many U.S. cities this year, according to senior law enforcement officials at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in Chicago.

Acknowledging the power of the gun lobby and the reluctance of Congress to enact stricter gun laws, the police chiefs told a news conference they were not anti-gun but wanted to keep weapons out of the hands of people with criminal backgrounds.

Current rules on background checks apply to licensed dealers, but up to 40 percent of firearms sales involve private parties or gun shows and do not require checks, the chiefs said.

"This is a no-brainer, this is the simplest thing in the world," Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said. "It troubles me all the time."

Backing the effort is an alliance of organizations representing police chiefs and executives, such as the Major Cities Chiefs Association and groups representing women, Hispanic and African-American law enforcement executives and police chiefs, as well as campus law enforcement administrators.

McCarthy said he was passionate about the issue after four years on the job in Chicago, which has more shootings and killings than other big cities like New York and Los Angeles and where police seize illegal guns at a much higher rate.

The police leaders called for expansion of background checks to cover all gun purchases and for a stronger background check system to ensure all agencies share the same records including criminal and mental health backgrounds.

So, the question becomes: Who knows best - the NRA gun nutters or U.S. police chiefs? I'm guessing that "the Major Cities Chiefs Association and groups representing women, Hispanic and African-American law enforcement executives and police chiefs, as well as campus law enforcement administrators" know best.

Gun ownership is a Constitutional Right....like voting. Why should either require an I.D.?
As has been proven, showing an ID has prevented 80,000 people a year from buying a gun who should not have one.

No one has ever shown that Voter ID has prevented or is the only means to stop the types of voter fraud which occur.

The number of criminals stopped by the checks is also quite small. In 2010, there were over 76,000 initial denials, but only 44 of those were deemed worthy for prosecution by the federal government and only 13 individuals were convicted. Even those 13 cases don’t tend to be the “dangerous” criminals Obama claims are being stopped. There are additional state prosecutions, but those are rare as well.
76,000 people were stopped from buying a gun. Thanks for validating what I said.

Good grief when is the last time you people went to a gun show if ever? All of the booths at our local gun shows are local area gun dealers that already have to perform background checks at gun shows. I can't even remember the last time I saw a private party trying to sell a gun at a gun show. They are not going to rent a booth to sell a couple of guns.

And this notion that a wanted criminal is going to go to a public gun show packed with law enforcement, security, and video cameras to try to buy a gun illegally is absurd. The campaign of lies and half truths fomented by gun control advocates is astonishing. Gun shows are not some kind of wild west unregulated free for all that's a big fat lie!

And those lies and half truths are why we don't trust them....

We won't give them one more gun, bullet or piece of equipment.......they have all they need to stop gun crime, by actual criminals.

Yo dingle berry

No but letting all women conceal and carry would help.
I recommend it for almost every woman I know.

There was one, though...woo! No way.

The fascists don't see it as a Constitutional right - its a lot easier to fuck with people if they are disarmed.

Another NRA ad. OBAMA IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS!

I know he is. reason I am looking for black market contacts.

I've actually taken women on dates to gun safety courses. I think a woman with a firearm is hot.

Should criminals, mentally ill, and domestic abusers be allowed to own guns?

Are they allowed to now?

NOPE!

The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits certain people from possessing a firearm. The possession of any firearm by one of these "prohibited persons" is a felony offense. It is also a felony for any person, including a registered Federal Firearms Licensee to sell or otherwise transfer any firearm to a person knowing or having "reasonable cause" to believe that the person receiving the firearm is prohibited from firearm possession. There are nine categories of persons prohibited from possessing firearms under the Gun Control Act:

Persons under indictment for, or convicted of, any crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding on year;
  • Fugitives from justice;
  • Persons who are unlawful users of, or addicted to, any controlled substance;
  • Persons who have been declared by a court as mental defectives or have been committed to a mental institution;
  • Illegal aliens, or aliens who were admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
  • Persons who have been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces;
  • Persons who have renounced their United States citizenship;
  • Persons subject to certain types of restraining orders; and
  • Persons who have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

Wait, how are illegals killing us with guns then?

Your government sold them guns.

The 40% number is a lie…and that he repeated that lie shows he is an asshole gun grabber…...

All these Police Chiefs are lying and you know better.....Right....

Yep, Jimbo.

Police Are More Dangerous To The Public Than Are Criminals
Cops kill more people than criminals, eh?

Did the German Gestapo murder 6,000,000 human beings?

How many blacks were murdered by the southern slave states?

Did the Davidians deserve to be terrorized then slaughtered?

Can the cops become criminals?

I notice you didn't answer the question.

I notice English comprehension is not your forte.

The fascists don't see it as a Constitutional right - its a lot easier to fuck with people if they are disarmed.

Another NRA ad. OBAMA IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS!

I know he is. reason I am looking for black market contacts.

OBAMAZ CUMMIN FER YER GUNZ! BUY MOAR! :lol:

If Obama is coming for your guns, he better hurry. We've been hearing this for seven years now.

Don't worry. The guns and ammo lobby has another ad campaign already in the works: HILEREEZ CUMMIN FER YER GUNZ! BUY MOAR!

You rubes really piss me off. You've been hoarding and driving up the cost of guns and ammo for seven fucking years.

Assholes.

You didn't correct squat. My statement was accurate.

Nope. You quoted the OP, which is an article about police chiefs who want background checks for gun shows. You then said, "There is already a law mandating background checks on gun purchases."

For most states, there are no background checks mandated for gun shows, which I pointed out.

I corrected you, and you've been butt hurt since.

Yes, and my statement was accurate.

I must perform a background check on every buyer I sell to from my store.
Which is not a gun show or private sale.

Read the OP. Then come back and try again.

Dude get over yourself already, the OP is not only talking about gun shows and private sales it pertains to ALL gun purchases.

Damn you are one dense fuck!

You haven't shown shit.

You didn't correct squat. My statement was accurate.

Nope. You quoted the OP, which is an article about police chiefs who want background checks for gun shows. You then said, "There is already a law mandating background checks on gun purchases."

For most states, there are no background checks mandated for gun shows, which I pointed out.

I corrected you, and you've been butt hurt since.

Yes, and my statement was accurate.

I must perform a background check on every buyer I sell to from my store.
Which is not a gun show or private sale.

Read the OP. Then come back and try again.

Dude get over yourself already, the OP is not only talking about gun shows and private sales it pertains to ALL gun purchases.

Damn you are one dense fuck!
When they talk about ALL gun purchases in the OP, they are saying they want background checks to apply to ALL gun purchases and that they currently don't. They don't apply to 40 percent of ALL gun purchases.

So when you came along and said background checks are already mandated, you sounded like one dense fuck who wasn't following.

And you still do.

There is already a law mandating background checks on gun purchases.

You obviously don't understand what 'Universal' means

How much universal can you get with the NCIC? Not only do background checks go through that they also go through the FBI database as well as state criminal records.

Forum List

Back