United Airlines Dragging Incident.Can You Imagine If It Was Hillary Clinton Or Mike Tyson?

From what I've seen the company is in the wrong. They should have just let the employees take another flight or offered increasing amounts of dollars until someone yelled "sold!"

But no way am I going to carry on like a brat and be drug off. But in today's America he and his attorney will be well compensated and future ticket buyers will pay for it.

Ice,

The Airline is meant to offer up to $1,300 dollars, if no one moves then they can as someone to leave....

Here is a few problems for United, their employees were on standby and not full passengers.
Did United offer everyone on the plane $1,300 to take the next plane and did everyone refuse? (The $1,300 is the law)

United used a rule that was given to them for safety reasons and abused it for commercial reasons...

From what I've seen the company is in the wrong. They should have just let the employees take another flight or offered increasing amounts of dollars until someone yelled "sold!"

But no way am I going to carry on like a brat and be drug off. But in today's America he and his attorney will be well compensated and future ticket buyers will pay for it.

Ice,

The Airline is meant to offer up to $1,300 dollars, if no one moves then they can as someone to leave....

Here is a few problems for United, their employees were on standby and not full passengers.
Did United offer everyone on the plane $1,300 to take the next plane and did everyone refuse? (The $1,300 is the law)

United used a rule that was given to them for safety reasons and abused it for commercial reasons...
Ah interesting. So government DID fuck it up. Go figure!

Everyone should feel secure that you live in a society where throwing a temper-tantrum is something you can actually sue over and get rich.

As opposed to quietly accepting that you are getting screwed?
We're all getting screwed. How you react is what makes the difference. In Japan this guy would be locked up for creating a disturbance and causing the company to lose face.

And in the US he caused a scene that quickly went viral and is causing a PR nightmare for United Airlines. After all the fuss, do you think United will forcibly remove another passenger again to make room for some employees flying standby?
Probably not.
Maybe they need to charter their own fights from now on.

Ice,

It is United who are meant to make the offer... They can only force someone off the plane if every passenger refused $1,300...

Now some passengers would go for $1000 or less, that is United to figure out... But the passenger who was forcefully removed is allowed to ask if everyone was offered $1,300 and can rightfully take his place on the plane until that happens.

The passenger was deemed disruptive because he might have asked this question or said their offer wasn't enough. I have a funny feeling United didn't offer the money so they could bump up a buddy from Stand By.

United will claim the the man was being disruptive for stating his right and ejected him for safety reasons... No judge is going to swallow that... Airlines accepted the $1,300 rules as it allows them to make over book and generally make a nice profit from it. Think of the cost of late seat booking... Nothing wrong with overbooking a flight as long as as you have a healthy compensation scheme if you get caught and passengers voluntary take advantage of it... In most plane journeys you have a student or retired who will take $500 for a bump...

First of all, it is totally the fault of United.

Second of all, the ticket buyers may pay for the losses if they fly to a smaller airport. Otherwise, United still has to compete with other airlines. If the prices are raised much it will mean Delta, Southwest, or another airline will get the business.

Would this happen in a country like Saudi Arabia, where they cut off heads for general purposes?
if this had happend with a Mid-Eastern airline, they would of forced a few passengers into the luggage room

Just for your information MidEast Airlines are usually considered in the top in the world... Emirates and Etihad Airways are nearly always short listed in the best airlines in the world.

This comment just shows us how actually stupid you are... They generally are rated better than every commercial airline in America...
That isn't saying much. I won't fly coach anymore because I can't fit my legs in the seats. Packed in like sardines.

Everyone should feel secure that you live in a society where throwing a temper-tantrum is something you can actually sue over and get rich.
So...you'd go willing...is what you are saying.
Yup. I spent too long in the military to expect special treatment.
Acting the way that guy did was ridiculous. It caused an overreaction from the crew and security. Why don't we just let the passengers do whatever the hell they want. Fly the plane if they hold their breath long enough. Anything to satisfy the spoiled little assholes.

According to what I found, United has about 5,100 flights per day, with an annual seating of 92 million passengers. If the passenger gets $25 million, United can raise its ticket prices $0.27 and cover the $25 million in a single year. If the passenger gets $5 million, a price increase of a nickel a seat will cover it.

Ice,

It is United who are meant to make the offer... They can only force someone off the plane if every passenger refused $1,300...

Now some passengers would go for $1000 or less, that is United to figure out... But the passenger who was forcefully removed is allowed to ask if everyone was offered $1,300 and can rightfully take his place on the plane until that happens.

The passenger was deemed disruptive because he might have asked this question or said their offer wasn't enough. I have a funny feeling United didn't offer the money so they could bump up a buddy from Stand By.

United will claim the the man was being disruptive for stating his right and ejected him for safety reasons... No judge is going to swallow that... Airlines accepted the $1,300 rules as it allows them to make over book and generally make a nice profit from it. Think of the cost of late seat booking... Nothing wrong with overbooking a flight as long as as you have a healthy compensation scheme if you get caught and passengers voluntary take advantage of it... In most plane journeys you have a student or retired who will take $500 for a bump...

I have been on a lot of overbooked flights. They typically offer to rebook you as soon as possible and offer 2 tickets to anywhere in the US. In all my years I have never heard an offer of $1,300 to get bumped.

...Gee, who would of won that battle? :smoke:
The police. The plane would never leave the gate with an unstable passenger on board. Four people were asked to deplane and only one nutjob refused. Doctor or not, that guy was unstable.

That was the 5:40PM flight from Chicago to Louisville. There was another one at 9pm.

The police. The plane would never leave the gate with an unstable passenger on board. Four people were asked to deplane and only one nutjob refused. Doctor or not, that guy was unstable.

That was the 5:40PM flight from Chicago to Louisville. There was another one at 9pm.

And did he have a connecting flight or an important appointment?

If it was just a matter of overbooking, I might be more lenient with United. Not much, but maybe a little. They removed 4 paying passengers so they could transport their own employees who were flying standby. That is simply unacceptable.

Ice,

Passengers need to read the Contract of Carriage they agreed to when they bought a ticket.

Contract of Carriage Document | United Airlines
Transportation of Passengers and Baggage provided by United Airlines, Inc. and Carriers doing business as United Express, are subject to the following terms and conditions, in addition to any terms and conditions printed on or in any ticket, ticket jacket or eticket receipt. To the extent there is a conflict between this Contract of Carriage and any terms and conditions printed on or in any ticket, ticket jacket or eticket receipt, this Contract governs. By purchasing a ticket or accepting transportation, the passenger agrees to be bound by these controlling terms of this Contract of Carriage, and no covenants at law or in equity shall be implied or incorporated. Note, only the English version of United’s Contract of Carriage governs the transportation of Passengers and Baggage provided by United Airlines, Inc. and Carriers doing business as United Express.....

RULE 21 REFUSAL OF TRANSPORT
UA shall have the right to refuse to transport or shall have the right to remove from the aircraft at any point, any Passenger for the following reasons:...
3. Force Majeure and Other Unforeseeable Conditions – Whenever such action is necessary or advisable by reason of weather or other conditions beyond UA’s control including, but not limited to, acts of God, force majeure, strikes, civil commotions, embargoes, wars, hostilities, terrorist activities, or disturbances, whether actual, threatened, or reported....

H. Safety – Whenever refusal or removal of a Passenger may be necessary for the safety of such Passenger or other Passengers or members of the crew including, but not limited to:

1. Passengers whose conduct is disorderly, offensive, abusive, or violent;
  2. Passengers who fail to comply with or interfere with the duties of the members of the flight crew, federal regulations, or security directives;....

If it was just a matter of overbooking, I might be more lenient with United. Not much, but maybe a little. They removed 4 paying passengers so they could transport their own employees who were flying standby. That is simply unacceptable.
No connections in Louisville. It looks like United had a last minute problem with an airliner and needed to send four crew members to Louisville. Better to inconvenience 4 passengers in Chicago than strand 130 passengers in Louisville for lack of crewmembers.

No connections in Louisville. It looks like United had a last minute problem with an airliner and needed to send four crew members to Louisville. Better to inconvenience 4 passengers in Chicago than strand 130 passengers in Louisville for lack of crewmembers.

Cancelling or delaying a flight is not that unusual. Inconvenience should not involve violently removing a passenger.

According to what I have read, the employees needed to work the following day. Why not fly the standby employees on the 9pm flight?

Ice,

Passengers need to read the Contract of Carriage they agreed to when they bought a ticket.

Transportation of Passengers and Baggage provided by United Airlines, Inc. and Carriers doing business as United Express, are subject to the following terms and conditions, in addition to any terms and conditions printed on or in any ticket, ticket jacket or eticket receipt. To the extent there is a conflict between this Contract of Carriage and any terms and conditions printed on or in any ticket, ticket jacket or eticket receipt, this Contract governs. By purchasing a ticket or accepting transportation, the passenger agrees to be bound by these controlling terms of this Contract of Carriage, and no covenants at law or in equity shall be implied or incorporated. Note, only the English version of United’s Contract of Carriage governs the transportation of Passengers and Baggage provided by United Airlines, Inc. and Carriers doing business as United Express.....

UA shall have the right to refuse to transport or shall have the right to remove from the aircraft at any point, any Passenger for the following reasons:...
3. Force Majeure and Other Unforeseeable Conditions – Whenever such action is necessary or advisable by reason of weather or other conditions beyond UA’s control including, but not limited to, acts of God, force majeure, strikes, civil commotions, embargoes, wars, hostilities, terrorist activities, or disturbances, whether actual, threatened, or reported....

H. Safety – Whenever refusal or removal of a Passenger may be necessary for the safety of such Passenger or other Passengers or members of the crew including, but not limited to:

2. Passengers who fail to comply with or interfere with the duties of the members of the flight crew, federal regulations, or security directives;....

And those rules cover booting paying passengers in favor of transporting employees? The disorderly conduct did not come up until the passenger was being forcibly removed.

United will be losing plenty over this fiasco.

Cancelling or delaying a flight is not that unusual. Inconvenience should not involve violently removing a passenger.
They should have deplaned everyone. The only reboarded those who were authorized. Again, the plane wasn't leaving with a belligerent and violent passenger on board.

Ice,

And those rules cover booting paying passengers in favor of transporting employees? The disorderly conduct did not come up until the passenger was being forcibly removed.

United will be losing plenty over this fiasco.
Yes. It's called Force Majeure

According to what I have read, the employees needed to work the following day. Why not fly the standby employees on the 9pm flight?
Crew rest rules. Do you really want an airline to be crewed by people who only had 3 hours of sleep in the last 24 hours?

Again, the appears to be a last minute problem. If the crewmembers were regularly scheduled to do that flight then they'd have been boarded previously. The four passengers who deplaned would never have been onboard.

FWIW, when there are no volunteers the airlines usually go to the cheapest tickets and the last to check in. So if you are buying your ticket off Orbitz or Hotwire, make sure you check in an hour or two prior to avoid being deplaned off a crowded flight.

Forum List

Back