UPS to drop 15,000 spouses from insurance, cites Obamacare

I think what UPS is saying is: we're dropping Medical coverage for Double Dippers, who already have Medical insurance, saving our Company $60 million a year - and it's all the 'fault' of Obamacare.

Interesting ....

:)

Of the 1 million new jobs created this year, 75% are lower paying part-time jobs. Two main factors behind this are a tepid economy AND Obamacare.
It was a futile gesture to extend corporate compliance to 2015 for Obamacare since most companies have already slimmed and trimmed. UPS was just late to that party but is joining it before 'last call'.

We knew all along that this public insurance sh** was not about insuring the uninsured. We knew that companies would dump their employees plans and throw their employees into the pool of mediocrity. Meanwhile govt. and corporate fat cats get richer.

Well it is because of that 65 dollar a spouse fee from ACA. They should just happily pay that and say thanks Obama? This is a company that actually has to make money. They can't just steal it and then use it to buy votes like the government does.

Dropping the Double Dippers will add $60 million a year to their bottom line.

Not bad, eh?

:lol:

Coming from UPS..it's pretty laughable.

They treat their employees like shit until they get into the Union..and they don't pay their parking tickets.

they treat them like shit even after they are in the Union....according to the two drivers were i delivered....but thats the Teamsters.....take the money and run....

Of the 1 million new jobs created this year, 75% are lower paying part-time jobs. Two main factors behind this are a tepid economy AND Obamacare.
It was a futile gesture to extend corporate compliance to 2015 for Obamacare since most companies have already slimmed and trimmed. UPS was just late to that party but is joining it before 'last call'.

When you can prove your opinion is correct, do let us know. And if true, what is wrong with providing more jobs for Americans? That gets them off unemployment and other social programs, and stops the rightwing whining.

I love how corporate America pretends that Obamacare is suddenly the reason they 'need' to cut back on employee healthcare benefits.

If obama care was so great this wouldn't happen.

Why should UPS offer healthcare to people who don't work at UPS, and furthermore can get health insurance where they do work?

And what does that have to do with Obamacare?

ask UPS they are ones citing that as the reason....

They treat their employees like shit until they get into the Union..and they don't pay their parking tickets.

The fellow that delivers for UPS in my area told me that UPS makes the drivers pay for maint and upkeep of the vehicle.

and why did you even bother posting this lie? time to go back to the VA and up your meds.

When you can prove your opinion is correct, do let us know. And if true, what is wrong with providing more jobs for Americans? That gets them off unemployment and other social programs, and stops the rightwing whining.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Wells Fargo eliminates 2300 mortgage jobs today. I'm sure those workers will be estatic over getting lower paying part-time jobs.
Dude, where did we park our our housing and overall economic recovery?

Thousands of companies are having to do what UPS did or cut employees to part time and the Obamabots just keep pointing the finger at corporate greed.

Talk about being willfully blind. Anything to defend the Messiah.

Actually they had pretty good benefits prior to Obamacare. Obamacare ruined that

Oh please.

Pretty good? I guess compared to Somalia..yeah.

In the real world?

Not so much.

When I worked at the Moving company..for no benefits..we had plenty of UPS guys coming over because the working conditions were better.

And at a MOVING COMPANY. WITH NO BENEFITS.

Sallow they are Teamsters....the drivers who my route intersected, when talking with them ....they had some pretty good stuff.....i dont know where you get Somalia....yea they work them pretty hard...those guys who came to work with you where just guys who could not handle the pace.....

From the Kaiser article:

"The health law requires large employers to cover employees and dependent children but not spouses or domestic partners."

So where's Obamacare to blame?

try reading your post again, SLOWLY...especially the part about spouses

So you're blaming Obamacare for NOT requiring large employers to cover spouses?

lololol, that's the laugh of the day.

Dont want to argue with you much because you are a civil poster, But with Obama care companys are tossing people off there health care and hope the exchanges take over. If Obama care was not law doubt they would have do it beacuse they would have done it years ago.

We knew all along that this public insurance sh** was not about insuring the uninsured

It's all about forcing the skofflaws to buy insurance, and eliminating the UPS double dippers

It's working nicely ....

:)

The fellow that delivers for UPS in my area told me that UPS makes the drivers pay for maint and upkeep of the vehicle.

and why did you even bother posting this lie? time to go back to the VA and up your meds.

He's not lying.. You are simply misinformed..

Evidently you have never heard of this. Our local bread delieveries are done by Owner/Operators. Sure, their trucks will have the logo on them, but they are owned by the driver who is responsible for all maintainence and fuel costs.

Owner-Operators at United Parcel Service

Owner-Operators
UPS, the world's leading provider of logistics, has aggressively expanded freight and other transportation solutions through a series of strategic acquisitions - including LTL and truckload freight services. UPS Freight, one of the largest less-than-truckload carriers in the United States and a leading truckload service provider, serves customers throughout North America.

We offer a very competitive compensation package and have opportunities nationwide for Owner-Operators. Interested Owner-Operators may complete the Independent Contractor Driver Qualification Form or contact UPS Freight Owner-Operator recruiting at 800-254-5444. UPS Freight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Evidently you have never heard of this. Our local bread delieveries are done by Owner/Operators. Sure, their trucks will have the logo on them, but they are owned by the driver who is responsible for all maintainence and fuel costs.

Owner-Operators
UPS, the world's leading provider of logistics, has aggressively expanded freight and other transportation solutions through a series of strategic acquisitions - including LTL and truckload freight services. UPS Freight, one of the largest less-than-truckload carriers in the United States and a leading truckload service provider, serves customers throughout North America.

We offer a very competitive compensation package and have opportunities nationwide for Owner-Operators. Interested Owner-Operators may complete the Independent Contractor Driver Qualification Form or contact UPS Freight Owner-Operator recruiting at 800-254-5444. UPS Freight is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

thats for the Semi operators....not the drivers.....i am assuming Moon was talking about the drivers.....the PO just went to private Contractors for much of the same thing....

Thousands of companies are having to do what UPS did or cut employees to part time and the Obamabots just keep pointing the finger at corporate greed.

Did Obama make a UPS decision as their CEO? I mean, get a grip. lol!! If a star falls from the sky, it isn't obamas fault. If you get sick from breakfast, it isn't Obamas fault. If you decide not to pay your taxes, and you get fined, it isn't obamas fault. etc. etc. etc. :cuckoo:

this is just an excuse. A lot of them are moving to part-time period because its cheaper for them to run that way. It has nothing to do with Obamacare.

Owner-Operators

thats for the Semi operators....not the drivers.....i am assuming Moon was talking about the drivers.....the PO just went to private Contractors for much of the same thing....

There are independent route drivers also.

Edit...

Ok.. I have to eat some crow... Fed Ex uses independent drivers, not UPS..

http://www.braunconsulting.com/bcg/newsletters/winter2004/winter20041.html
FedEx Ground runs its package delivery service on an independent contractor model - UPS does not.

The differences between these two companies and their methods of doing business are stark, and observers are watching with interest as the competing worldviews shake out into measurable results with the passing of time.

FedEx has had incredible success in the last several years since they scooped in to fill the void that was created by the UPS Teamsters strike in 1997. At the time UPS laid off 10,000 workers when package volume plummeted and FedEx bought RPS (a ground package delivery service based in Pittsburgh) as a result. RPS was based on a contractor model using independent contractors to deliver packages rather than outright employees and FedEx kept this intact.

FedEx may have initially used contract drivers as a way to cut costs and use the competitive edge to win market share from their rival UPS. Now it is a way of life.

The critics to the contractor model question whether it is a long-term success strategy or a short-term cost cutting gimmick that spurs immediate and rapid growth without the possibility of being completely sustainable. Advocates say it is a new and better way of doing business.

UPS is a very strong company that stands firmly behind its own business model and has no intention of adopting any of the FedEx contractor strategies. They believe their way of doing business will win out in the long run because of a more valuable package offered to their employees which results in more loyalty and motivation, and ultimately better service to the customer.

FedEx Ground prides itself in its flexible and growing business strategy, trying new things and being innovative in a very competitive field.

The independent contractor model of FedEx is under some legal scrutiny from court authorities however. For example, a California judge recently ruled that certain FedEx contract workers should be treated as employees rather than independent contractors.

Last edited:

There are independent route drivers also.

Edit...

Ok.. I have to eat some crow... Fed Ex uses independent drivers, not UPS..

FedEx Ground vs. UPS: Two Worldviews, Independent Contractor or Employee?
FedEx Ground runs its package delivery service on an independent contractor model - UPS does not.

The differences between these two companies and their methods of doing business are stark, and observers are watching with interest as the competing worldviews shake out into measurable results with the passing of time.

FedEx has had incredible success in the last several years since they scooped in to fill the void that was created by the UPS Teamsters strike in 1997. At the time UPS laid off 10,000 workers when package volume plummeted and FedEx bought RPS (a ground package delivery service based in Pittsburgh) as a result. RPS was based on a contractor model using independent contractors to deliver packages rather than outright employees and FedEx kept this intact.

FedEx may have initially used contract drivers as a way to cut costs and use the competitive edge to win market share from their rival UPS. Now it is a way of life.

The critics to the contractor model question whether it is a long-term success strategy or a short-term cost cutting gimmick that spurs immediate and rapid growth without the possibility of being completely sustainable. Advocates say it is a new and better way of doing business.

UPS is a very strong company that stands firmly behind its own business model and has no intention of adopting any of the FedEx contractor strategies. They believe their way of doing business will win out in the long run because of a more valuable package offered to their employees which results in more loyalty and motivation, and ultimately better service to the customer.

FedEx Ground prides itself in its flexible and growing business strategy, trying new things and being innovative in a very competitive field.

The independent contractor model of FedEx is under some legal scrutiny from court authorities however. For example, a California judge recently ruled that certain FedEx contract workers should be treated as employees rather than independent contractors.

i had a fed ex contract driver on my route who almost lost his route.....his truck broke down and it was in the shop for a week and cost him like 5 grand for repairs.....he had to rent another truck which cost him a nice sum.....needless to say he was pissed....i sure as hell would not do it....my postal truck took a beating on just what i did.....i can imagine one of them big basterds breaking down...

Forum List

Back