US added 213,000 jobs in June; unemployment rose to 4 pct.

• Banned
BTW - I would not get too thrilled about the numbers.

According to the Household Survey...all of the employment gains were part time. The number of part time employed went up in June by 145,000. While the number of full time employed dropped by 89,000.

Table A-9. Selected employment indicators

Plus, the employment to population ratio (a FAR better employment indicator then the ridiculous U-3 rate) stayed the same at 60.4%. But that is the same as it was last September (indicating job growth has actually stagnant - no better, no worse). Also, that rate is MILES below (up is good, down is bad) what it was just before the Great Recession.

latest_numbers_LNS12300000_2008_2018_all_period_M06_data.gif

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

What kind of new upside down world do we live in where democrats blast the creation of jobs to a record level of the number of Americans who are employed? Can someone explain this to me in a rational, logical way?

Dems blast booming jobs report, Trump worker agenda, ‘reckless’
You all did that for 8 years under Obama.

Right now there are a record number of Americans out of the work force, and trends in GDP and wage growth are completely unchanged from what conservatives demonized a few years ago. Oh and we’re in multiple trade wars. Winning!

its summer - students are out of school working part time jobs ... just like every summer.

• Banned
its summer - students are out of school working part time jobs ... just like every summer.

That does not explain why 145,000 fewer Americans are employed full time.

What kind of new upside down world do we live in where democrats blast the creation of jobs to a record level of the number of Americans who are employed? Can someone explain this to me in a rational, logical way?

A) I am an independent - neither Dem nor Rep.

B) Record level of the number of Americans employed? Are you serious?

The population of America is growing. That means that - outside of recessions/depressions - the total number of Americans employed will ALWAYS be growing to a new record every year. It's just simple demographics.

Right now there are a record number of Americans out of the work force, and trends in GDP and wage growth are completely unchanged from what conservatives demonized a few years ago. Oh and we’re in multiple trade wars. Winning!

The population of America is growing. That means that - outside of recessions/depressions - the total number of Americans employed will ALWAYS be growing to a new record every year. It's just simple demographics.

Your narrative is not logical. If we assume the population is greater in 2018, versus 2016 then shouldn't the unemployment rate have gone up, instead of down?

Well that's still pretty good. Down from President Obama's' last June in 2016 by about 70,000 jobs, but you know the steady Obama economy is starting to wind down as Trumpybears policies ramp up and he takes more responsibility for what occurs.

Your narrative is not logical. If we assume the population is greater in 2018, versus 2016 then shouldn't the unemployment rate have gone up, instead of down?

My statement had nothing to do with unemployment.

1) the official unemployment rate is a 'hoax'...even Trump thinks so.

Donald Trump Calls Unemployment Rate One of the "Biggest Hoaxes in Politics"

I DO NOT regard the U-3 as a credible statistic...have not for many years.

Besides, the U-3 is a percentage...not a total number.

2) if the population keeps growing and the unemployment rate is roughly average...then obviously the total number of employed Americans will grow each year.

It is simple mathematics.

Saying there are more Americans working now then ever is ridiculous as clearly there are LOTS more Americans now then ever before...especially compared to 10 or 20 years ago.
It's like saying the GDP is at an all time high. Well of course it is. The more Americans there are - almost always that means the larger the total GDP.

Last edited:

That does not explain why 145,000 fewer Americans are employed full time.

Boomers are retiring and leaving the work force faster than they can be replaced -

Ten thousand people a day is certainly a big number. Over 365 days, that’s almost 4 million people. But then everything about the “Baby Boom” generation is pretty big.

There were 76 million people born between the years 1946 and 1964, the traditional window for the baby boom generation. That means that they will retire over a 19-year period. Simple math shows that 76 divided by 19 is 4 million, or almost 11,000 people a day.

And people graduating from college and high schools are entering the job market. A small up tick in unemployment wouldn't be unusual.

'U.S. employers kept up a brisk hiring pace in June by adding 213,000 jobs in a sign of confidence despite a looming trade war with China.

The Labor Department says the unemployment rate rose to 4.0 percent from 3.8 percent as more people began looking for work.'

US added 213,000 jobs in June; unemployment rose to 4 pct.

Interesting.
More of the uderemployed are going back into the workforce, which we want the UE number is bogus anyway

172 million are still not working under Trump

A disgrace

Forum List

Back