US denies Visa to Iranian Foreign Minister. No UN for you!

1. I'm no fan of the Iranian government.

2. Not much of a fan of the UN either, but not as anti as some others here.

That said, I don't agree with barring this guy.

Unless we want further escalation diplomacy has to begin. We don't get there by barring diplomats.

And yes, I get this guy would use this as a stage to pillory the US. That's part of the process too. Let him talk. Let them talk. Who gives a shit what they say. It's what they do that matters.

If our intent was to send a message we've certainly done it. If that message was 'enough is enough of the proxy BS' then we have to have a dialogue even though I know the Iranians will be difficult to deal with and real yield will be low.

If that message is 'fuck you, let's get it on' and the real intent is war then that's a completely different matter and not a tangent I would support. We've seen enough of that shit, I would think.

We shouldn't be barring diplomats, IMO, regardless of the intended message or 'side'. There is no utility to it that I can see.
Has Iran paid back our embassy hostages yet? The victims of their state sponsored terrorism?

Nope.

Nope and they never will.

Iran sucks. I'm no fan.

More a pragmatist that would rather not see this escalate further.

Let em kick and stomp.

They attacked the contractors = we hit them back

They got pissed about that and stormed the embassy = we hit them harder

We can keep playing this game, and can undoubtedly 'win' by hitting them increasingly harder, as we have an ability to project whatever power we desire, but at some point you have to open the door to discussion unless we just want to say fuck it and break out the heavy hardware and put boots on the ground. I don't.
Most Iranians are pro Western. Plenty can be done with just assistance.

He quoted a U.N. agreement not a U.S. law.
The UN Charter was ratified by the United States and IS A TREATY! Ever hear of the Supremacy Clause of the US Constitution, Smack?

Article VI, Clause 2 of the US Constitution clearly states:
"This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding."
~~ Article VI ~~

The US is lawfully bound by the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution to the UN's articles for better or worse until such time as the US throws off its obligation this Nation promised to follow.
Should we prepare for the UN to invade America or issue a sternly worded letter?

Heaven forbid they hit us with both.

Good move. Now the ragheads can't go to the UN and spew their anti-American hatred.

Iranian foreign minister fumes over reported visa denial for UN meetings in New York

Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif fumed Tuesday over the reported U.S. decision to deny him a visa to address the United Nations in New York later this week, amid escalating tensions between the two countries after the killing of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani.

“They fear that someone comes to the U.S. and reveals realities,” Zarif told The Associated Press. “The world is not limited to New York, and you can talk to the American people from Tehran, and we will do that.”

SOLEIMANI FUNERAL STAMPEDE IN IRAN LEAVES AT LEAST 40 DEAD, STATE TV REPORTS

He later claimed in a tweet that denying him a visa was in violation of the 1947 United Nations Headquarters agreement that established the international body’s base of operations in New York. That agreement requires the U.S. to permit foreign diplomats from other countries to conduct U.N. business. He also listed a series of allegations against the U.S., including “economic terrorism” and “cowardly assassination.”

Iranian foreign minister fumes over reported visa denial for UN meetings in New York

HEY STUPID!!! THE UN SECRETARY GENERAL INVITED THE IRANIAN FOREIGN MINISTER TO THE UN TO DISCUSS PEACE.

ONCE AGAIN THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION IS DOING EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO THWART PEACE EFFORTS WITH IRAN. FIRST TRUMP TOSSES THE NUCLEAR LIMITATION TREATY. THEN HE IMPOSES SANCTIONS, WHICH WERE WORKING. NOW WITH IRAN ON THE VERGE OF CIVIL WAR, AND DEPOSING THE MULLAHS, AND HE KILLS SOLEIMANI, UNITING THE IRANIAN PEOPLE AGAINST AMERICANS YET AGAIN,

DUMB DONALD IS TRYING TO START A WAR, AND IRAN IS TRYING TO PREVENT THAT.

Hey stupid, fuck the UN.
No, fuck you. The UN is one of the better ideas of the 20th century and long may it live.
No, fuck you. The UN is one of the better ideas of the 20th century and long may it live.

Yeah, the world has been so free of conflicts and genocides since 1947.

Said no one ever

QUOTE="Nostra, post: 23820286, member: 72587"]
82512850_137963084329050_1815458100216332288_n.jpg
giphy.gif
[/QUOTE]
You wish Carter was POTUS? You're gonna be digging the gas prices.

Good, let them send a strongly worded letter...

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk
Pathetic that you think we are no better than a third world dictatorship like Russia.
You are pretty pathetic as you blast those who have an opposing view.
You put the USA on the same plane as Russia. I disagree that we are the same plane.
We are all people. Putin as much of an asshole as he is, is still liked by his people. Russia is definitely not our ally but when we have common enemies it can be. Like in WW2
My point is that the USA has always been the prime advocate for the Rule of law. Just because Russia acts with lawlessness does not mean we have to follow their lead. The Russians want a chaotic world. It is not in the US interest to have chaos reign supreme in the international community. It didn't work pre-UN and it will not work if we go back to the pre-WWII era.
I agree We should get the hell out of the Middle East but Bush put us there after Clinton failed to kill Bin Laddin to prevent 9/11 and now we have this endless war and no one wants to really address the elephant in the room. Islam is a religion of violence.

The US can not bar the Iranian diplomat under the UN Headquarters Agreement. I know for the Trumper treaties are worthless and laws are just so much flotsam and jetsam to be disregarded at will by their dear leader, but for some us who believe in the rule of law this is just another example of Trump's lawlessness and rogue foreign policy.

That's certainly the opinion of the Iranian Terrorist Regime.

However, President Donald J Trump disagrees.

If Supreme Leader Khamenei wants to challenge President Trump's ruling, he should take it through the court system. That's we have courts.

He later claimed in a tweet that denying him a visa was in violation of the 1947 United Nations Headquarters agreement that established the international body’s base of operations in New York. That agreement requires the U.S. to permit foreign diplomats from other countries to conduct U.N. business.
He is correct, Tramp again breaks the rules the USA has agreed to.

When did America agree to allow Terrorist Aliens to enter our realm or to enter our airports?
Prove the UN rep IS a "terrorist."

Good move. Now the ragheads can't go to the UN and spew their anti-American hatred.

Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif fumed Tuesday over the reported U.S. decision to deny him a visa to address the United Nations in New York later this week, amid escalating tensions between the two countries after the killing of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani.

“They fear that someone comes to the U.S. and reveals realities,” Zarif told The Associated Press. “The world is not limited to New York, and you can talk to the American people from Tehran, and we will do that.”

SOLEIMANI FUNERAL STAMPEDE IN IRAN LEAVES AT LEAST 40 DEAD, STATE TV REPORTS

He later claimed in a tweet that denying him a visa was in violation of the 1947 United Nations Headquarters agreement that established the international body’s base of operations in New York. That agreement requires the U.S. to permit foreign diplomats from other countries to conduct U.N. business. He also listed a series of allegations against the U.S., including “economic terrorism” and “cowardly assassination.”

About fucking time.

He later claimed in a tweet that denying him a visa was in violation of the 1947 United Nations Headquarters agreement that established the international body’s base of operations in New York. That agreement requires the U.S. to permit foreign diplomats from other countries to conduct U.N. business.
He is correct, Tramp again breaks the rules the USA has agreed to.

When did America agree to allow Terrorist Aliens to enter our realm or to enter our airports?
Prove the UN rep IS a "terrorist."

The UN rep is the one asking for a Visa. Let him prove he isn't.

President Roosevelt didn't allow Von Ribbentrop to come to America during the 1940's either.

The US can not bar the Iranian diplomat under the UN Headquarters Agreement. I know for the Trumper treaties are worthless and laws are just so much flotsam and jetsam to be disregarded at will by their dear leader, but for some us who believe in the rule of law this is just another example of Trump's lawlessness and rogue foreign policy.

Trump Administration Blocks Iran’s Top Diplomat From Addressing the U.N. Security Council

https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publication/UNTS/Volume 11/volume-11-I-147-English.pdf
I'm not liking that at all. We are not at war so this curtailment of free speech on our soil by Iranian diplomats at the UN and elsewhere is NOT apropos at this time.

Is the Administration afraid someone might criticize his decision? I think that horse has already left the barn.
Trump's actions are a clear violation of international law as was his suggestion that we bomb Iranian cultural sites.

Trumpist do not believe in the rule of law. The closest analogy is that Trumpers look at Trump as their own Kim Jong Un. What Trump says is law. Trumpism is every bit a cult.

Look at these posts. No standing up for the rule of law by the Trumpist. It is simply Trump says this so it must be true.

It is pathetic.
Another black eye for the US thanks to our grumpy uncle at the end of the bar muttering into his beer?
Agreed but it is also a humiliation for the USA.
I will use Mark Meadow's line here, " time to take the hug a terrorist' sticker off your car".

Forum List

Back