US Takes Action

That's it...
That's our response.
To feeze the ATM card on a few Russians....

They probably have bags of money at home.

“These are by far the most comprehensive sanctions applied to Russia since the end of the Cold War — far and away so.”

What would you think a Republican president would be doing? Are we supposed to go to war, is that your intent?

I really want to know. Because no matter what the man does, he's wrong - and that's not normal. It really isn't. That's just the lot of you, blinded by hate.

I don't think anything can be done, except for drawing a line and saying Crimea OK, rest of Ukraine is a no go.

What I am commenting on is how the article makes the appear to be a BIG DEAL when it really isn't anything.

Your first sentence is much more on the mark than you realize, for Crimeans are linguistically and culturally much more "Russian" then they are "Ukrainian". There was bad blood in the Crimea the moment the UDSSR fell apart and Crimea fell (mostly) under ukranian jurisdiction, so to speak. Actually, the Crimea is an "autonomous parliamentary Republic" within the Ukraine, but being an island/peninsula, is pretty reliant on the Ukraine for most of it's trade. 58% of Crimeans are Russians. Lots of other minorities there, including Tartars. Readers Digest version: lots of bad blood between Tartars and Ukrainians, goes back a long time, the UDSSR, when it was in existence, kept a lid on the hatred, but as happened in the former Yugoslavia, when the pressure of a dictatorship fell away, the old hatreds resurfaced.

But the second sentence of yours I strongly disagree with and @dboop is right for having made this thread. The sanctions are going to be much tougher that you can imagine for one word:

GAZPROM

The sanctions will kill exports of oil, the revenues for which Russia will need. And this time of year is a good time to do is, as the winter is receding. So, what the Obama administration is doing is indeed a big deal and already the Obama administration has done more in this crisis than the Bush administration did in Georgia, in spite of the fact that the Georgian (N. Ossetia) invasion was much larger in scale than what is going on right now. This is also the first time that a US Aircraft Carrier has been allowed into the Black Sea, by permission of the Turks. Bush did not attempt this is 2008, although, in his defense, it probably would not have done much good.

It's time for Righties here to realize that the current administration still has much smarter people working in the state Department than they want to admit. Most of those people work from administration to administration and they know the lay of the land.

No matter what we do, Crimea is now going to rejoin Russia. This may or may not start a war with the Ukraine. I doubt it will. The Ukraine has too many internal problems to solve first and the almost nazi-like group from one party will probably be glad that the tartars are no longer on "their" soil, in spite of the fact that they lose soil to acheive their goal.

How do sanctions against personal assets within the US sphere of economic influnce kill GAZPROM sales to Europe?

I don't think anything can be done, except for drawing a line and saying Crimea OK, rest of Ukraine is a no go.

What I am commenting on is how the article makes the appear to be a BIG DEAL when it really isn't anything.

Your first sentence is much more on the mark than you realize, for Crimeans are linguistically and culturally much more "Russian" then they are "Ukrainian". There was bad blood in the Crimea the moment the UDSSR fell apart and Crimea fell (mostly) under ukranian jurisdiction, so to speak. Actually, the Crimea is an "autonomous parliamentary Republic" within the Ukraine, but being an island/peninsula, is pretty reliant on the Ukraine for most of it's trade. 58% of Crimeans are Russians. Lots of other minorities there, including Tartars. Readers Digest version: lots of bad blood between Tartars and Ukrainians, goes back a long time, the UDSSR, when it was in existence, kept a lid on the hatred, but as happened in the former Yugoslavia, when the pressure of a dictatorship fell away, the old hatreds resurfaced.

But the second sentence of yours I strongly disagree with and @dboop is right for having made this thread. The sanctions are going to be much tougher that you can imagine for one word:

GAZPROM

The sanctions will kill exports of oil, the revenues for which Russia will need. And this time of year is a good time to do is, as the winter is receding. So, what the Obama administration is doing is indeed a big deal and already the Obama administration has done more in this crisis than the Bush administration did in Georgia, in spite of the fact that the Georgian (N. Ossetia) invasion was much larger in scale than what is going on right now. This is also the first time that a US Aircraft Carrier has been allowed into the Black Sea, by permission of the Turks. Bush did not attempt this is 2008, although, in his defense, it probably would not have done much good.

It's time for Righties here to realize that the current administration still has much smarter people working in the state Department than they want to admit. Most of those people work from administration to administration and they know the lay of the land.

No matter what we do, Crimea is now going to rejoin Russia. This may or may not start a war with the Ukraine. I doubt it will. The Ukraine has too many internal problems to solve first and the almost nazi-like group from one party will probably be glad that the tartars are no longer on "their" soil, in spite of the fact that they lose soil to acheive their goal.

How do sanctions against personal assets within the US sphere of economic influnce kill GAZPROM sales to Europe?

They don't.

Our biggest worry will be if this emboldens Putin and he decides to take Eastern Ukraine.

Then, our weak-kneed, limp-wristed community organizer will be WAY out of his league.

And with Europeans leading the way, anything can happen. Maybe the French will cut off the Brie Supply to Russia.

That'll teach 'em

Russia will have to deal with the US and the EU

The days of knee jerk invasions are over. We no longer have Republicans in charge

Would the Republican Christian right support Obama if he armed Crimean rebels?

Obama's end game for the USA.

He's going to get Russia and China to renounce the US Dollar and put an end to the USA as a world leading nation once and for all

Your Conservative wet-dreams are a source of great entertainment for me.

"Russia vows to switch to other currencies over US sanctions threat - Glazyev"
Read more: Russia vows to switch to other currencies over US sanctions threat - Glazyev - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

stfu-5460.jpg

GAZPROM

Just wait. You'll see.

The sanctions affect 11 individuals 7 of whom have already moved their assets.

If you don't know that this does not affect oil exports, particularly to Europe, there is simply no help for you.

in response to Russia what did Obama do.....?

he imposed travel bans and froze assets (whatever was left) of a few Russian officials.....ALL 11 OF THEM........!

WOW this is one American leader to watch out for....:lol:.........did anybody even notice....?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ukraine-crimea-20140317,0,6579894.sto

7 of those 11 have already moved all their assets.

Isn't this embarrassing? Really. Could anything be more embarrassing. Not so much freezing the non existent assets of 11 individuals, but treating it like this is a big and punishing act.

Can't do it?

Gotcha.

Okay - if anybody shows up here, and can tell me what THEY OR THEIR ELECTED PRESIDENT WOULD DO IN THIS SITUATION, feel free to @ mention me. Because so far, y'all are failing abysmally.

[MENTION=31258]BDBoop[/MENTION] I can tell you what I'd expect Reagan to do. I'd expect him to assess the preparedness of our military to engage in military conflict with Russia, to assess the cost ( before deciding ) to know his exit strategy before he sent us in. As our military is not nearly as strong as it was in Reagans day due to military base closures, cutting back on defense over past few decades we are in no position to engage the enemy. Add to this scenario:

Our CIC has no military experience and with 146 of our leading military ( Generals, Colonels, Majors, Navy Admirals, etc ) no longer on the team now ( fired or retired - by Obama administration ) there are few legitimate military experts who know Soviet warfare strategies first hand left now to properly advise him. The people he replaced these military men with are not of the same stature, ability or expertise. In my opinon..

Final analysis..

Reagan would not send us to war with Russia at this time. He would use sanctions. imo.

Putin's move to take Ukraine is strategical and he would not be deterred by anything short of all out war. That is an honest assessment of the situation as I see it now.

* NOTE
It wasn't publicised perhaps but Obama has already promised the leader of Poland full protection if Putin should cross over border of Ukraine into Poland. Military protection. I would think that Poland could also become a tipping point for WWIII but that wouldn't change China's plans to invade Taiwan nor Russias plans to use it for her victory in the ME ( taking America out before invasion of Israel ) So there is that too.

Last edited:
make up your mind

Is he a GRAND POWERFUL DICTATOR or a Whimp.

you people are insane

in response to Russia what did Obama do.....?

he imposed travel bans and froze assets (whatever was left) of a few Russian officials.....ALL 11 OF THEM........!

WOW this is one American leader to watch out for....:lol:.........did anybody even notice....?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ukraine-crimea-20140317,0,6579894.sto

7 of those 11 have already moved all their assets.

Isn't this embarrassing? Really. Could anything be more embarrassing. Not so much freezing the non existent assets of 11 individuals, but treating it like this is a big and punishing act.

Not as embarrassing as this:

Russian Sanctioned By White House Responds On Twitter To "Comrade Obama" | Zero Hedge

Russia is no longer run by Stalin who dictated the economy

The Russian economy and prosperity is now tied to the EU and US. They can give us the finger all they want but they will pay a domestic economic penalty

Can't do it?

Gotcha.

Okay - if anybody shows up here, and can tell me what THEY OR THEIR ELECTED PRESIDENT WOULD DO IN THIS SITUATION, feel free to @ mention me. Because so far, y'all are failing abysmally.

[MENTION=31258]BDBoop[/MENTION] I can tell you what I'd expect Reagan to do. I'd expect him to assess the preparedness of our military to engage in military conflict with Russia, to assess the cost ( before deciding ) to know his exit strategy before he sent us in. As our military is not nearly as strong as it was in Reagans day due to military base closures, cutting back on defense over past few decades we are in no position to engage the enemy. Add to this scenario:

Our CIC has no military experience and with 146 of our leading military ( Generals, Colonels, Majors, Navy Admirals, etc ) no longer on the team now ( fired or retired - by Obama administration ) there are few legitimate military experts who know Soviet warfare strategies first hand left now to properly advise him. The people he replaced these military men with are not of the same stature, ability or expertise. In my opinon..

Final analysis..

Reagan would not send us to war with Russia at this time. He would use sanctions. imo.

Putin's move to take Ukraine is strategical and he would not be deterred by anything short of all out war. That is an honest assessment of the situation as I see it now.

* NOTE
It wasn't publicised perhaps but Obama has already promised the leader of Poland full protection if Putin should cross over border of Ukraine into Poland. Military protection. I would think that Poland could also become a tipping point for WWIII but that wouldn't change China's plans to invade Taiwan nor Russias plans to use it for her victory in the ME ( taking America out before invasion of Israel ) So there is that too.

Always a pleasure, J. Thank you. :salute:

Forum List

Back